• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because it's an old, out-of-touch Japanese company where there's not even a single, non-optional character of color in the roster to begin with to demonstrate their take on ethnic representation?

To be fair, I think they have gotten (marginally) better at this with the later generations but yeah it's not great but I thought you'd have more specific examples of them being racist like Wham Bam Rock's orginal design.

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.webp

Big yikes.

Nov 9, 2017
Nintendo needs to rethink some of their choices. This type of stuff plus also being the system of choice for sexualization of minors. Isn't this supposed to be a family friendly company or something?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
yep, this is messed up. Nintendo needs to fix this fast.
they really need to make sure that next time they do not do something like this, and improve representations a lot.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Because it's an old, out-of-touch Japanese company where there's not even a single, non-optional character of color in the roster to begin with to demonstrate their take on ethnic representation?

Apparently they think the Kongs are black. Maybe they thought that was good representation.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
*sigh* Guess we gotta throw Sakurai on the list now. Shame, I was having a lot of fun with Smash too.

Oh for the love of god, are we really doing this "welp the forum is now going to censor talk of love for the game" garbage everytime we bring up something racist? It's far worse because there are like multiple threads talking about how good the game is. Talk about the good isn't going to die down but this does need to be addressed.

Oct 25, 2017
Diddy is the one that makes the least sense (I get they were going for cartwheel = kicking) but there might have been a more diplomatic way to do that. Sandman/DK is a definitely a nod to Sandman/DK being the final boss. Tak, they could easily change the color but it seems like they were trying to pallet match the character.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, I think they have gotten (marginally) better at this with the later generations but yeah it's not great but I thought you'd have more specific examples of them being racist like Wham Bam Rock's orginal design.
It's no surprise because of their lack of representation. When a company doesn't care about it, then of course they won't care about things happening like in the OP, even when it's not deliberate but a question of ignorance.

Sea lion

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Really shitty.

It shouldn't amaze me Japan's gonna Japan, but in this day and age its fucking stupid.

Like why would they think any of those would be a good idea?

Dont get me started on the lack of colour within the actual roster proper too.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Sandman made me pause the game and Google it to see if I was missing something.

Donkey Kong was a final boss in Punch Out Wii, but it's still a big "What?" for me. You can't establish that you use characters for their visual similarities to other characters (like Zero-Suit Samus in a white colour scheme being The Boss) and slide by with something like the Sandman spirit battle.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Diddy Kong fight states that they will use the side special more, which means that's the reason why Diddy was chosen.

Still a bad look when you see them all together, even if every single case can probably be explained with non rascism reasons.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Diddy is the one that makes the least sense (I get they were going for cartwheel = kicking) but there might have been a more diplomatic way to do that. Sandman/DK is a definitely a nod to Sandman/DK being the final boss. Tak, they could easily change the color but it seems like they were trying to pallet match the character.
There's easy ways to fix most of this:
  • Replace DK with Giant Captain Falcon. Yes, DK is the secret boss of Punch Out Wii, but if all they really needed was a giant punch, Falcon fits well enough without being problematic.
  • Replace Diddy with Sheik. If they only reason they picked Diddy was because of the cartwheel, then bouncing fish is just as good.
  • Pick another Villager color.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's no surprise because of their lack of representation. When a company doesn't care about it, then of course they won't care about things happening like in the OP, even when it's not deliberate but a question of ignorance.

I...don't know what that has to do with what I said? I said that only recently have we seen Nintendo actually have POC in their games and that this lack has been a problem.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Not that there's any way to really know, but I'd be curious to know if these were called out during QA. I mean obviously nothing was done about it if they were, but would still wonder if the test teams at Nintendo are trained to flag issues like this.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I...don't know what that has to do with what I said? I said that only recently have we seen Nintendo actually have POC in their games and that this lack has been a problem.
Then why did you reply to me at all, since apparently what you're trying to argue has nothing to do with what I said. What I said was, "And it's no surprise, coming from Nintendo." That's all. Stop trying to derail the conversation into company defense, which is the modus operandi of some posters every single time this subject comes up. It's not slick.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Tac as Villager makes sense because of its Neutral B. But they could've used literally any other skin for the character.
Is his neutral B the pocketing thing? Haven't played as Villager since Smash 4 launch. That makes sense, I guess.

Wasn't Villager's last two skins white in the E3 build like in 4 but got turned black in the final game? I'm guessing they picked the purple shirt skin and no one reviewed this when the change occurred. Still, that's really sloppy work coming from Nintendo, hopefully they can patch it out.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone help me understand what I'm looking as I have not played this mode.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
WTF.

You could use Ken doing kick attacks for Dee Jay.
You could use King K. Rool doing forward smashes for Mr. Sandman.
Anything other than representing black characters with fucking Diddy Kong and Donkey Kong WHAT THE FUCK

Also literally any other Villager costume would have been a better choice for a thief character than that one.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
The feather was removed from the spirit as well in the day 1 update.

Diddy incorporates similar kicking moves to DeeJay (the spirit condition is Diddy's launching kick attack, for example) which is probably why that got chosen.
Likewise DK was probably chosen both as a reference to Punchout Wii and to reference Sandman's big punch.

which is all to say
DK is also the secret boss of Punchout Wii.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn, you have to be pulling my leg here with this one.
People here think Kong is a good representation of a black person? Bloody hell.
Anytime there has been a thread on "Representation in Smash Bros. / Nintendo Games" on ResetEra, NeoGAF, or anywhere else, you'll see the common responses of Donkey Kong, Goomba, or Black Yoshi. Like clockwork.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
WTF.

You could use Ken doing kick attacks for Dee Jay.
You could use King K. Rool doing forward smashes for Mr. Sandman.
Anything other than representing black characters with fucking Diddy Kong and Donkey Kong WHAT THE FUCK

Also literally any other Villager costume would have been a better choice for a thief character than that one.

Isabelle would've been better than any of the villagers, really.

Fosko

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissing concerns surrounding harmful stereotypes; history of dismissive behavior in similar topics
I only find weird the diddy kong pick. (and the Native american thing that was already discussed). You have to want to see something racist in the others in order to see them racist.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
I can understand mr sandman (DK was the hard boss of punch out Wii), I can see why the villager one could be made without prejudice.... But the Diddy Kong one made wtf when I saw it. Like they have NOTHING in common

Dee Jay's a kickboxer, the aim is to play up Diddy Kong's side-b which, on the ground, is a quick and pretty strong jump-kick. That's why it says weak jump power and the enemy favors side specials.

Still ain't right, but that's where the connection comes from.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
What's really bizzare is that they corrected the feather on G&W, but didn't go back and fix the spirit.
THey did fix the spirit. I got it a while back, it was fixed in the day 1 update

Anyway I think if they ever go back and change these:
-diddy should be swapped out for ken spamming dash attacks. I can see not wanting to over use Ryu/Ken, but Ken is the only other male heavy kick user in the roster
-DK for Captain Falcon. We lose the Punchout WIi reference but the Falcon Punch & side smashes are a good substitute for Sandman's heavy punches
-Villager for the white/black shirt alt or the green/white dress alt, since that fits tac's color scheme better

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the Street Fighter ones make sense in a Street Fighters are stereotypes kind of way but yeah.

The Tac one being baited by alt fighters stymied the discussion on it. The Dee Jay one was spirit board only so it delayed it

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Then why did you reply to me at all, since apparently what you're trying to argue has nothing to do with what I said. What I said was, "And it's no surprise, coming from Nintendo." That's all. Stop trying to derail the conversation into company defense, which is the modus operandi of some posters every single time this subject comes up. It's not slick.

I was replying to you because I agreed with you...

I'm sorry if I came off as trying to argue with you. I absolutely agree with your point about Nintendo here. I'm not defending the company at all. This is something that absolutely needs to be changed. Again I am sorry, please don't group me in with someone who is such a fanboy that he can't take criticism of a company. I'm not like that. I need people to understand I'm not like that.

Oct 27, 2017
Decades later they will look back at this topic and not understand what the topic is even about, and only then can we say racism doesn't exist. I finished World of Light and these didn't catch my attention at all. Only saw it like the way described here when I saw them posted here.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Tac is a thief, and Villager's gimmick is pocketing items.

Mr. Sandman and DK are both super heavyweight punchers. DK is literally a Punch-Out!! boss, too.

Dee Jay and Diddy Kong are both fun-loving musicians with acrobatic kicks. This particular Spirit Battle focuses on Diddy's kicks.