• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
is it really that easy to become a national celebrity millionaire? It looked quite effortless.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Getting rewarded for bad behavior. He's going to grow up to be a fine, upstanding, citizen who will continue to use his wealth and privilege to exploit and make the lives worse of every less fortunate person around him.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
The kid obviously sucks, but CNN threw every journalistic standard out the window when covering this story so I have zero sympathy for them either. Everyone involved sucks.

StarBot

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Didn't the Native American openly said he forgive the kid and wanted to move on

Really shitty on the kid part

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Do they even have a case against Phillips?

I hope someone pays for Phillips legal fees.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Shameless little shit, perfect future GOP material.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Cannot believe they did not play the "Bleed the competition" game. Who has more money, CNN or the kids family?
CNN, or the law firm that took on the case? This kid sued for eleventy bajillion dollars and probably got a settlement in the low six figures half of which is going to the law firm. Yes, it's a grift and it sucks when grifters get paid, but that's american tort law for you. Big organizations with deep pockets who don't think they have a slam dunk defense are often better off handing a off a check for a few hundred grand rather than stay mired in a legal battle for 10 years.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
CNN fucked up with this trying to spin a story out of nothing. This kid is a little shit but there are thousands of little shits all over the country. They don't all get hours of "news" coverage though.

Suing Phillips is really shitty though, and I'm not sure what the case would be.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
I'm not an expert, but I'd say with a MAGA hat racism is part of the package but you can wear one and ignore it. Doesn't make it great, but i don't think everyone who wears a MAGA hat is racist whereas i don't know what the point of a Klan hood was outside of racism.

Lol

The hat is a marketing tool representing Trumpism.

How the hell are you gonna "ignore" the racism embedded in the core of that movement? Don't be silly

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
Lol

The hat is a marketing tool representing Trumpism.

How the hell are you gonna "ignore" the racism embedded in the core of that movement? Don't be silly
people are free to ignore it or make headlines and hand off checks in the hundreds of thousands because of it. That's literally what happened here. The fact that this is even a story is absolutely shameful. This kid has a dollar for every person that wants to punch his face now. Thank CNN.

Aug 2, 2018
Like others have said there is a reason CNN has to settle. They gave the idiot kid more attention than he deserved and riled up an angry mob (like the ones wishing for his death/harm in this thread) and he played y'all both for some cash. So it's a lose lose all around. CNN and the angry mob played themselves

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I mean, the story was blown massively out of proportion and the kid was a minor and being a smirking shit didn't come close to justifying the amount of coverage it received.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Nowadays there is rarely ever Justice in this world, even when it is in our own hands

Oct 27, 2017
CNN fucked up with this trying to spin a story out of nothing. This kid is a little shit but there are thousands of little shits all over the country. They don't all get hours of "news" coverage though.

Suing Phillips is really shitty though, and I'm not sure what the case would be.

He's going to sue him for at least defamation, I'm guessing. The way Phillips described the events in interviews right after the story started going viral was questionable at best. One of the main examples I know of is a Washington Post interview where it's claimed the kids swarmed him and that Sandmann specifically wouldn't let him "retreat." I reread the story yesterday when this news broke and wanted to link it here but apparently I'm out of free stories and can't access it to copy the URL. The headline is "'It was getting ugly": Native American drummer speaks on his encounter with MAGA-hat wearing teens."

Defamation cases are always hard for a variety of reasons so I have no idea if the kid will be successful, but he seems to at least be able to make such a claim in good faith.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
people are free to ignore it or make headlines and hand off checks in the hundreds of thousands because of it. That's literally what happened here. The fact that this is even a story is absolutely shameful. This kid has a dollar for every person that wants to punch his face now. Thank CNN.

This only happened because he was a kid. If it was a grown man in the same scenario, he wouldn't have much protection in regards to a counter lawsuit

Mar 10, 2018
I'm not an expert, but I'd say with a MAGA hat racism is part of the package but you can wear one and ignore it. Doesn't make it great, but i don't think everyone who wears a MAGA hat is racist whereas i don't know what the point of a Klan hood was outside of racism.
tenor.gif

Prof. Booty

Banned
Jan 1, 2020
Trust me, nobody who's wearing a MAGA hat doesnt know what it means.

Might as well put in a white hood or a swastika cause it is, and they know, the same thing.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018

It's weird to see takes like this about a kid whose family is suing a native man for, I don't even know, drumming in his presence? Like the best case explanation for this kid is that there's still a chance to separate him from the culture he is fully indoctrinated into. Remember, he and his school group were there to agitate against abortion rights

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
User Banned (Permanent): Celebrating Harassment, History of Serious Infractions.
Hahaha I'm glad that little piece of shit and his garbage family got fucked over in some way at least. Harrassment, being forced to move, etc.

That little shit thought he was being tough and standing up for himself and his dipshit friends.

Glad they got harassed :)

I hope it continues.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, and people flying the Confederate Flag are just expressing their southern pride.

FILE_ID.DIZ

Banned
Jun 1, 2019
Fort Wayne
Quick reminder for people in this thread: There is no such thing as karma, and believing that there is implies that people who have bad things happen to them deserve it.

Stop believing bullshit because it makes you feel good.

Also stop defending MAGAts, good lord, be normal.

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
CNN, or the law firm that took on the case? This kid sued for eleventy bajillion dollars and probably got a settlement in the low six figures half of which is going to the law firm. Yes, it's a grift and it sucks when grifters get paid, but that's american tort law for you. Big organizations with deep pockets who don't think they have a slam dunk defense are often better off handing a off a check for a few hundred grand rather than stay mired in a legal battle for 10 years.

I understand that strategy. I would have gotten a kick out of CNN's lawyers doing anything they maybe could have to drag it out so long that kids family's wealth got greatly depleted thanks to their growing retainer.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
As someone else said earlier it's probably that CNN didn't want to bother because of the discovery process and the embarrassing internal communications that may have been exposed.

It's definitely a good grift, it's pretty unlikely that MAGA teen would find a completely sympathetic jury under the circumstances but it's not really worth the hassle so they settle.

Celsus

Banned
Jan 8, 2020
User Banned (Permanent): Troll account
So, I'm trying to understand some of the comments in the thread. . . what exactly did the kid *do* that makes him a white supremacist? All he literally did was smirk?