• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm Asian and I have the double eyelid thing. Anywho, I thought movies and modeling were like the few occupations that allowed this type of discrimination
It's uber common partly because it's not publicized and spoken against. A cultural tendency can be inherently bad even if it's ubiquitous.

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
I'm Asian, 37, and have double lideye lids. As a little kid in the 90's I remember other kids(mostly or all white I think) repeating this line to me "Chinese, Japanese, Look at these". When they said the "look at these" line they would pull their eye lids sideways. It didn't matter that I had double eyelids, all Asians have monolid and that's that.

Honestly I didn't understand why that was being said to me and just found it kind of funny back then, but that was a completely different time. Nowadays I get very annoyed when people still try to associate all Asians as having monolid eyes. It's common, but it's also extremely common that we don't have it either. It already plays a role in Asian self hating, casting calls asking for one or the other is only making things worse.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I am glad Simu Lu has the juice to be able to call this bullshit out. Too many get scared about doing the right thing because of the blacklist. Can't replace the perfect Shang Chi.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Had to look up the term since I had no idea what it meant.

This isn't regular racism; this is Pierce Hawthorne's dad level of advanced racism.

Yeah, I can't even fathom the circumstances that led anyone to believe this specificity of casting was even necessary, like holy shit

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Discriminatory practices should always be shut down. It's bad enough that people get plastic surgery for their eyelids... we don't need a casting call or advertisements to perpetuate this.

Deleted member 76797

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
Yeah, I can't even fathom the circumstances that led anyone to believe this specificity of casting was even necessary, like holy shit

i bet things like this are common practice, but people aren't dumb enough to spell it out like this and instead just choose whatever is closest to what they're looking for from the people who show up for casting calls.

Trike

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
What the fuck? Who even cares about that? This much discrimination for a $500 paycheck for some shitty chocolate that probably has less regulation around its ingredients than this casting call. Hope it was worth the loss of reputation.

Tangeroo

Oct 26, 2017
QwkkMEb.jpg

I see what they mean. I can barely stand to look at her. /s

mingo

Oct 25, 2017
London
British Chinese here, I've got quite deep double eyelids. A lot of people, Asian and non-asian never believe im Chinese, always think I'm mixed.

Kitsunebaby

Oct 27, 2017
Annapolis, Maryland
Holy shit, that is something. "We want Asian actors, but only the right kind of Asian."

Also, what on Earth does anyone find unattractive about monolids? I've never been able to figure it out.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Never heard of this before and I'm asian. Weird, stupid category that most people wouldn't even notice.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I am going to bet the casting director for this didn't really know what they were looking for... they likely got direction that they wanted a racially ambiguous asian actor - in the sense that if you couldn't specifically tell their origin, the spot could be used more widely. Then, this person was an idiot, and just started googling racial traits.

I've been on lots of projects where you are trying to hit a middle ground... find someone that you film, and then use the spot in as many locations as possible. Not saying this is right... just saying how a lot of these things work.

Need a spot that could run in parts of Europe, maybe South America as well? You get someone with a skin tone that could be mistaken for Italian and Brazilian. This gets done because budgets are tight and you are trying to make a commercial work WAY too hard.

It's a bad practice, and then this is like the weaponized form of that - shameful all around.

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
Never heard of this before and I'm asian. Weird, stupid category that most people wouldn't even notice.
It's quite an old thing, people have been checking my eyes since I was a kid (I have a clear double lid). I just hope the younger generations don't categorize people in the same way the older generations did.

badatorigami

Dec 5, 2019
I had to look up monolid. I am shocked. Monolid, double lid, hooded? Who gives a fuck?
Man, a LOT of east asian people do.
I had monolids when I was a young kid; remember very clearly my mom on many nights taking a toothpick to score lines on my eyelids so that they'd possibly develop into double lids lmao (laugh about it now because I wasn't in pain or even uncomfortable, just annoyed at the process).

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I had monolids when I was a young kid; remember very clearly my mom on many nights taking a toothpick to score lines on my eyelids so that they'd possibly develop into double lids lmao (laugh about it now because I wasn't in pain or even uncomfortable, just annoyed at the process).
Yeah, there are surgeries and products (like eyelid tape) for "fixing" the monolid look. Double kids actually make you eyes look bigger.

You also don't necessarily have to have both eyelids the same. I actually have one monolid and one hooded, and I personally think it looks stupid because one of my eyes looks bigger than the other.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
So basically, they want white people with a vague asian ancestry. A very vague one. Got it.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
I'd heard about monolids before, but never actually looked them up.

Holy shit, that is what some people find so undesirable? The omission of a little crease above the eyes? It blows my mind. It's so bizarre to me that people would have strong opinions about whether the actor they want has one or not.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
I am even more shocked. What do you think is behind this East Asian preference? Monolids are distinctive and no less attractive than any other type of eyelid. It seems kinda crazy to me.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I am even more shocked. What do you think is behind this East Asian preference? Monolids are distinctive and no less attractive than any other type of eyelid. It seems kinda crazy to me.
This looks pretty legit:

www.koreaherald.com

Uncovering history of double eyelid surgery

In 2007, an eight-minute video clip of Tyra Banks “attacking” a young Korean-American woman who underwent double-eyelid surgery went viral. In the still-available clip, Banks, an African-American TV personality, claims that the surgery that the 25-year-old Korean-American named Liz received was...

Although it is believed that double eyelid surgery was first introduced in late 19th-century Japan, it was during the Korean War that the operation became popular in Asia, according to Kim's research.

According to Kim, Millard was stationed in Korea during the war as part of an American public relations campaign to show "American's benevolent face to the Koreans." On top of developing and performing double eyelid surgery ― which was the alteration of "Oriental" features to "Occidental" ― he was also committed to serving those who were severely injured on the battlefield and in need of surgical reconstruction.

During the war, Korean eyes without the crease ― referred to as the superior palpebral fold in American medical texts ― were dubbed "slanted," and were seen as a mark of inscrutability and deviance. In her text, Kim argued that it was significant that Millard, who is one of the pioneers of Asian double eyelid surgery, was a military surgeon whose experience of Asian bodies was firmly rooted in Cold War ideologies and discourses.

Lol so aside from installing a right wing pseudo dictatorship government, the US also messed up beauty standards in SK. Lame.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
This looks pretty legit:

www.koreaherald.com

Uncovering history of double eyelid surgery

In 2007, an eight-minute video clip of Tyra Banks “attacking” a young Korean-American woman who underwent double-eyelid surgery went viral. In the still-available clip, Banks, an African-American TV personality, claims that the surgery that the 25-year-old Korean-American named Liz received was...
Thanks for the link. I have just been reading a Vice article about blepharoplasty,

How Three Asian Women Dealt With Their Eyelid Insecurities

taco543

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Fresno CA
what the fuck is monolid? I've legit never heard that in my life. Also, this kinda shit is disgusting, its already hard enough for an Asian actor/model to get a gig because of how dismissive these sorts of casting calls are towards anyone thats Asian. this is just abhorrent.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
I don't know what you would call this, but it's specifically not "racist" as such discrimination happens in all Asian countries too. Lots of beauty products to give that double-fold.

Also, Hollywood tends to do the reverse and want accentuated "Asian eyes" that are narrow with liner to emphasize it, whereas most Asian countries like big eye looks with outstretched lashes and rounder shapes.
Context matters. Racism is not just a black and white dictionary definition.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

Yup this is a pretty big deal inregards to the far east. I remember my cousins would comment on my 'american eyes'

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
literally never even heard of this until today and now i cant unsee it

for those unsure, this is what a non-monolid looks like

TechCrunch_Disrupt_2019_%2848834434641%29_%28cropped%29.jpg

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I never heard of it either until my parents told me how it's a thing in show business. Apparently some people have trouble getting roles in movies/tv/etc. if they don't have it. I still don't really get why it's so important.

To me, it sounds like one of those completely arbitrary beauty standards that got passed around by word of mouth so much that it got blown completely out of proportion. It's just a line that someone drew in the sand and said that one is more attractive than another, and therefore everyone on the "wrong" side of it is bad. It makes no sense.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
To me, it sounds like one of those completely arbitrary beauty standards that got passed around by word of mouth so much that it got blown completely out of proportion. It's just a line that someone drew in the sand and said that one is more attractive than another, and therefore everyone on the "wrong" side of it is bad. It makes no sense.
Someone else posted it, but the standard is actually racist in origin.

Dec 4, 2017
Lol so aside from installing a right wing pseudo dictatorship government, the US also messed up beauty standards in SK. Lame.
US racism and exported parochialism caused all sorts of stupid shit to occur in Asian countries immediately following WW2. The whole Japanese whaling bullshit going on to this day was caused by the US occupation government not considering fish/seafood or soybeans to be 'real' protein (the US wanted the average Japanese, and children in particular, to eat more protein).