• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
The VERY SECOND someone's "words with multiple meetings" strays onto something that these fucks care about, they are the FIRST to throw out their toys and lose their shit.

Gaardus

Oct 27, 2017
I am so out of my element in this thread. I dont understand any of the phrases, slang nor even why Oofmatic is bad? why is it homophonic? been reading some responses but everyone seems to know, wtf. I had never heard of it until literally this thread
Using "gay" as an insult used to be very common, and it got its pejorative meaning because of the sentiment that homosexuality is bad. A rising acceptance of homosexuality means that using "gay" as an insult for people/things/ideas has fallen out of favor.

"Retard" and "retarded" as pejoratives stem from disdain of the developmentally delayed and have similarly fallen out of favor.

Edit: If you mean "Oofmatic", that's just the dude's moniker. Like astro said, Oofmatic isn't a homophobic word, he's a homophobic person.

Last edited:

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
So how do you express that absolutely beautiful reply from TheHadou in a fighting game gif.

Is it Geese Howard's counter? Hakumen's Astral Finish? I try to visualize it in my head and nothing seems to come close.

14033b46893e28b261f8a253762a3340646ef8f8_hq.gif

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
What a fucking vicious response from TheHadou

Ironic how this dude censoring the word shit in his tweet

Good riddance

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
Oofmatic is the person's name/handle. That's not what is being discussed.
Using "gay" as an insult used to be very common, and it got its pejorative meaning because of the sentiment that homosexuality is bad. A rising acceptance of homosexuality means that using "gay" as an insult for people/things/ideas has fallen out of favor.

"Retard" and "retarded" as pejoratives stem from disdain of the developmentally delayed and have similarly fallen out of favor.

Edit: If you mean "Oofmatic", that's just the dude's moniker. Like astro said, Oofmatic isn't a homophobic word, he's a homophobic person.
What does what mean?

Are you not seeing the image in the OP?
Lmao thanks, I thought Oofnatic was now a word and was super confused, cheers

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I need someone to edit the evo moment but splice in screenshots of the twitter replies and the tee shirt for each time Ken parries. Somebody make this happen.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Months): Rationalizing bigotry across multiple posts
What acrual meaningful nuance is there to have in the context of the words he chose, exactly?

I know you won't answer, don't worry.
You think that tweet was nuanced?

I'm not trying justify his use "gay", "sh*t", or retarded. I should have made that more clear. He posted what he did and consequences happened. What I mean by nuanced conversation is two people could be chatting about something they find entertaining, using tone or words that others might find offensive. Jokes are a prime example, where I know plenty of people who like Dave Chapelle's stuff, but I know there are those that are offended by it. I've seen Twitter posts in the past where that pretty much happened.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not trying justify his use "gay", "sh*t", or retarded. I should have made that more clear. He posted what he did and consequences happened. What I mean by nuanced conversation is two people could be chatting about something they find entertaining, using tone or words that others might find offensive. Jokes are a prime example, where I know plenty of people who like Dave Chapelle's stuff, but I know there are those that are offended by it. I've seen Twitter posts in the past where that pretty much happened.
The thing about jokes is that they still communicate ideas, which makes them potentially dangerous regardless of the intent behind them. Humour isn't a catch-all defense, and part of the reason why the definition of offensive changes is because we start to recognize the harm that was always being caused.

When you tell a joke using a slur, you are also communicating that there are situations where it is acceptable to use that slur. If you surround yourself in those jokes, you create the atmosphere where they are constantly acceptable.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The world is a different place than it was 10 years ago. Whether you agree with his tweet or not, dude should have picked his battles more wisely. These days everybody wants to be right in what they think, and a number of them get push back for it.

Suffice to say Twitter is not the greatest place to have a nuanced conversation about word usage.

Why don't you tell us what you really think of people using gay and retarded as insults, even if it's people chatting about something they find entertaining.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
The thing about jokes is that they still communicate ideas, which makes them potentially dangerous regardless of the intent behind them. Humour isn't a catch-all defense, and part of the reason why the definition of offensive changes is because we start to recognize the harm that was always being caused.

When you tell a joke using a slur, you are also communicating that there are situations where it is acceptable to use that slur. If you surround yourself in those jokes, you create the atmosphere where they are constantly acceptable.

I agree with that, comedy isn't a justification to say something shitty. I also think some jokes need to be said, regardless of offensive attitudes, so they can poke fun at the absurdity of dangerous ideas. That's apart of what makes comedy special as an art form, exploring social commentary around a subject people don't want to talk about.

Why don't you tell us what you really think of people using gay and retarded as insults, even if it's people chatting about something they find entertaining.

What do you want to hear?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with that, comedy isn't a justification to say something shitty. I also think some jokes need to be said, regardless of offensive attitudes, so they can poke fun at the absurdity of dangerous ideas. That's apart of what makes comedy special as an art form, exploring social commentary around a subject people don't want to talk about.

What do you want to hear?
Nothing you have written has any bearing to what happened here though, like at all.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe I didn't see this thread until now but good shit to Rick and all the other TO's banning this clown.

"Enjoy Netplay" is such a good burn, I may have to buy that shirt haha

Gespenst MKIV

Nov 1, 2017
The thing with stuff like "ironic" racism an the like is that people are not mind readers, if you call some one the n word, even if inside your head you don't believe in white supremacy, to the rest of the world is no different than what a true believer does. So in the end is the same.

Idiot like this guy always start saying that they can't say those word, they can. They can say all the words they like, but they should not be surprised when people decide that they don't need to deal with their bullshit.