• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
How does one become a flat earther?

Do you just wake up one day and decide "I want to be really blatantly wrong about something. Like, Socrates will come out of his grave and be all like we didn't even have the scientific method and we figured this shit out". Is that how it happens?

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to be edgy and tell these people how it is... except I'm going to censor myself when I say sh*t because my mom reads these.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Ah the response tweet was glorious, looks like he's getting banned in other tournaments too.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
When you're banned from an event because you refuse to understand how the words you used are offensive to people, you just oofmatic'd yourself.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
certain surroundings on gullible people all being grifted by someone who's found a market, along with a steady stream of online discourse and youtube videos

its kind of like a turner diaries situation, but without the focus being white nationalism

closer to anti-government/chemtrails

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
certain surroundings on gullible people all being grifted by someone who's found a market, along with a steady stream of online discourse and youtube videos

its kind of like a turner diaries situation, but without the focus being white nationalism

closer to anti-government/chemtrails
Maybe my problem is that I don't get any of that stuff either.

Mar 30, 2019
How does one become a flat earther.
It is often sold as a way to expand your mind and think...outside the...keeping your eye on the...yeah.

I know a guy, who is very smart, West Pointer and trained to be a doctor (is one now). He...was trying to convince me and I politely countered and was rebuffed multiple times. He was trying to sway me from a "limited" mindset and that I just accepted facts without verifying them.

That was 5 years ago and he hasn't brought it up to me ever again. I think he realized on his own that it was a grift that took advantage of his paranoia. He also dabbles in doomsday prepping. Fun guy otherwise.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
Maybe my problem is that I don't get any of that stuff either.
its something that usually takes time to fully convert in a person, years of side-chat with the co-worker that thinks this or that, reading blogs or newsletters that speak "THE TRUTH!!!", etc.

cult-like, but it's cult surroundings are being constructed by the individual themselves

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Idiot says stupid shit and then fades into oblivion. Pikachu.png

This is neither here not there, I suppose, but stuff like this is why I find The Office less and less funny with time. It's a good show one way or the other, but I start to feel like it's too authentic to be safely framed as the sort of comedy with heartwarming moments that it is.

Michael goes through sensitivity training multiple times and is often approached on exactly why his behaviour is wrong but continues to engage in it anyway because he's somehow framed himself as the good guy in the conversation. He's exactly the person you shouldn't be quoting and has gotten in trouble in the show itself for quoting comedians.

And people talk about how Jim is an asshole for being mean to Dwight, but I remember reading an article about how Jim gets lets cute when you think about how he's the guy who knows how messed up the office is and just gets to be silent and smirk because it's not him who gets the brunt of it; it's people like Pam, Darrel, Kelly, Stanley, or Oscar. Hell, Dwight is repeatedly implied to have open Nazis sympathies and not only does Michael seem to be aware as this, he still has Dwight as his second in command.
This is a great analysis of The Office by the way, in terms of the characters and in relationship to todays politics:

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
Werent both posts quotes from The Office? I wouldnt have known if i didnt see the video though (dont think i've watched one episode of The Office).
it's not really worth having in the thread, context or not

if someone got banned from whatever event for saying the N word, what's the point of coming into a thread with the Louis CK bit of "that n**** just made the shit of of my coffee!"

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
ooh, ive actually never seen the office haha
No worries, i wouldnt have known too.

He changed his twitter to be private after it.
I see. Thanks for the info.

it's not really worth having in the thread, context or not

if someone got banned from whatever event for saying the N word, what's the point of coming into a thread with the Louis CK bit of "that n**** just made the shit of of my coffee!"
Yeah, thats fair enough. It was just to show that both posts were related to The Office.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France

Do you just wake up one day and decide "I want to be really blatantly wrong about something. Like, Socrates will come out of his grave and be all like we didn't even have the scientific method and we figured this shit out". Is that how it happens?
flat-earth-funny-memes-28-5b325364901bf__700.jpg

It just makes sense !

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017

When you really want to think that you have discover the secrets of the Universe and everyone else is a sheep.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I do not keep up with the fighting game scene but "enjoy netplay" is ether.

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually played a tournament set with this guy in SC6 at last year's Electric Clash event. The post-game handshake was distinctly disgusting... Those kind of handshakes with people that have greecy ass palms.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
Some of those comments, good lord.

Newsflash, douchefucks: if you open your mouth and vomit reprehensible shit all over, don't be surprised when people treat you like the reprehensible shithead you are.

Bannon really pulled a number on the online gaming community.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Crazy how people wanna be in a group but not want to be accepting of people in a group and thus get booted from said group. Good riddance.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Team NAH is back.

Shout outs to Arturo