• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
BBC News said:
The Football Association has condemned racist abuse aimed at England players Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho and Bukayo Saka after Sunday's Euro 2020 final defeat by Italy.

All three players missed penalties in the 3-2 shootout loss and were targeted on social media after the game.

The Metropolitan police is investigating the abuse and said "it will not be tolerated".

The FA said it was "appalled" by the abuse.
www.bbc.co.uk

FA condemns racist abuse of England players

The FA condemns racist abuse aimed at England players Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho and Bukayo Saka.

Verbally abusing and humiliating a german child online and now throwing abuse at their own players.

Stay classy England.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
I watched this at the gym and immediately my first thought was they were going to slurs hurled at them. I'm not even an Soccer fan. I feel for those kids.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
I knew this would happen. We all did. Twitter certainly knows. But won't stop it.

Y'know, ad revenue and so forth.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
English football fans are the worst, I am so happy they lost.
That's no consolation to Rashford, Sandro and Saka whose accounts have once again being subjected to racist abuse.

Or to the victims of that same abuse and scuffles in the immediate post-match aftermath among those fans watching the game.

Or to the people that are domestically abused in an alcohol-fuelled rage.

www.resetera.com

"If England gets beaten, so will she" - When Football Goes Home

Essay by Mona Eltahawy on Feminist Giant. Patriarchy is an overwhelming issue on top of the sport, violence, alcohol, toxic gender norms, misogyny, and entitlement. "It is not football that makes cisgender men abuse women and children. It is not the alcohol those men readily consume while...

Master_Funk

Oct 25, 2017
This was my immediate worry after the loss . White English people and the British Government love to talk about how they are not racist but this just demonstrates how much racism there still is. I feel terrible for the players and hope they are safe.

Deleted member 29293

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
That's no consolation to Rashford, Sandro and Saka whose accounts have once again being subjected to racist abuse.

Or to the victims of that same abuse and scuffles in the immediate post-match aftermath among those fans watching the game.

www.resetera.com

Essay by Mona Eltahawy on Feminist Giant. Patriarchy is an overwhelming issue on top of the sport, violence, alcohol, toxic gender norms, misogyny, and entitlement. "It is not football that makes cisgender men abuse women and children. It is not the alcohol those men readily consume while...
I never said it was and those are all awful things. Just makes me think even less of english football fans.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I have heard that there was an uptick in attacks on black people in England bc of something in the game

Deleted member 59

Unfortunately this was to be entirely expected. Just absolutely abhorrent.

Criticise performances all you want (i for one think Saka was useless from the moment he was subbed on) but keep race out of it.

Hopefully there people posting these get a visit from the police soon.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They destroy their own homes and assault their love ones over a fucking ball game and yet have the audacity to call these world class players animals.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017

www.resetera.com

So England should have won so these awful people could be happy, and very likely still be awful people?

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Disgusting. The worse part is that if they had won these people would have been at the front row cheering

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So England should have won so these awful people could be happy, and very likely still be awful people?

English teams nearing any major sports win correlates to a increase in domestic violence.

Winning or losing, it doesn't matter. I just assume this also affects racial violence too.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
No. Even if they won, that's no consolation. It just lessens the initial impact to a manageable level so that it can be remedied.

Those remedies have to include arresting the abusers for starters. Physical and verbal. Online and offline. Then you put the banhammer down on accounts.

And then the media and the politicians should be a fuckload more reflective about the country's place/status in modern society. You cannot keep banging on about 1966, perpetuate the message that Britain single-handedly won WWII, claim excepionalism when it comes to EU/UK trade relations and then claim to be shocked when Danish, German and other European football fans of all ages are being harassed during the tournament.

It's not something that can be fixed whether England win or lose. But it has to start from somewhere.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
One of the reasons why I am glad England didn't win.

Every country has their share of racist animals, but it just seems like it far more pronounced here…

Seeing a 19 year old kid — who just so happen to take and miss the last penalty — subjected to this torrent of abuse is disgusting.

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
The worst thing? Nothing will be done.

English football fan culture is so toxic, that racism and hatred is so deeply engrained in it that in twenty years time when England are knocked out of Euro 2040, this will happen yet again.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
It gets worse. There's a Snapchat shot out there on Twitter marking today the day to 'harrass* a black" day. Vile.

(*it's actually a point-based system depending on the level of harassment)

The worst thing? Nothing will be done.

English football fan culture is so toxic, that racism and hatred is so deeply engrained in it that in twenty years time when England are knocked out of Euro 2040, this will happen yet again.
Try again next year in the 2022 WC.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
It gets worse. There's a Snapchat shot out there on Twitter marking today the day to 'harrass* a black" day. Vile.

(*it's actually a point-based system depending on the level of harassment)
Yeah I saw this and wasn't sure how real it was, but if even one person used it it would be abominable. Lynching was on the list as the "most points"

Deleted member 59

Yeah I saw this and wasn't sure how real it was, but if even one person used it it would be abominable. Lynching was on the list as the "most points"

I'm sure a similar table was created or spread last year during the BLM protests. It's probably the same one. I don't know how "real" it is, I'd like to think nobody would act on it, but, humanity sucks..

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
It won't but I would hope this would soften the blow of the loss. It isn't a country worth winning for.

Jun 30, 2021
We should have been cheering our team for getting as far as they did, this is shit behaviour.

Same with the German girl, there was no need at all for that crap, it's embarrassing and the world is watching.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
And im willing to bet anything that if england won, the same people who are being racist fucks right now would be celebrating and calling these 3 heroes.
absolutely god awful behaviour and a good showcase of lad culture at its absolute worst.

Used to live near a football stadium and I fucking hated it every time there was a bigger game. And I love the sport itself.

Bucéfalo

Banned
May 29, 2020
Expected, a relevant part of the UK is highly racist and xenophobic. Damn, their primary argument to support the Brexit was "foReIgneRs steAl our jOBs".

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 month): excusing racism
This is what happens when you drive the lower class down so far that the only thing they have to look forward to are alcohol and football.

sacrament

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
Sadly expected. English soccer has an edge, which can be fun, but underneath is diabolical. Get these lads on a group, like a stag party, and it's gross and scary. Won't forget the time I saw a stah run a train in Amsterdam.

Traveling you know to avoid Brit men on travel. Just a reality. Around matches, more so.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Twitter / Instagram really could and should have done better in this regard. The UK government should threaten to ban those apps if they don't get their act together lol.

JimNastics

Jan 11, 2018
Sadly expected. English soccer has an edge, which can be fun, but underneath is diabolical. Get these lads on a group, like a stag party, and it's gross and scary. Won't forget the time I saw a stah run a train in Amsterdam.

Traveling you know to avoid Brit men on travel. Just a reality. Around matches, more so.

Sspeaking as a 39 year English football "fan", I have completely fallen out of the love with the game I adored as a kid. I absolutely despise a large demographic of our most vocal supporter groups (or is it our country as a whole?), I watch an England game and every time the camera pans to the crowd you can pick them out a mile off. They're everywhere. It sickens me. My little boy is big in to football and I often find myself subconsciously trying to steer him away from it, which sums it up really.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
I don't really get the 'glad England lost because of fans like this' comments as if this doesn't consistently happen in every country. Kind of missing the point if that is your take from this.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Sspeaking as a 39 year English football "fan", I have completely fallen out of the love with the game I adored as a kid. I absolutely despise a large demographic of our most vocal supporter groups (or is it our country as a whole?), I watch an England game and every time the camera pans to the crowd you can pick them out a mile off. They're everywhere. It sickens me. My little boy is big in to football and I often find myself subconsciously trying to steer him away from it, which sums it up really.

My dad wonders why he started going to watch Football when he was 13 in 1968 when it was just as bad then, if not worse, then.

You'd think 50 years would have changed the Sport, or even the World.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
The people aiming abuse at these 3 players do not care about football and the abuse has nothing to do with it. It is just an excuse, a free-pass in their minds, to be open and vile about what they truly think of certain kinds of people.

Deleted member 29293

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I don't really get the 'glad England lost because of fans like this' comments as if this doesn't consistently happen in every country. Kind of missing the point if that is your take from this.
Of course this happens everywhere, doesn't mean english fans aren't the worst of all. There is a reason pretty much the entire continent was cheering for Italy.

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
So just because other countries have racist and toxic football cultures too, that means, what, we shouldn't be calling out England fans for being racist and toxic?

This thread is focused on England because there was literally racist abuse aimed at England players last night because they lost that was so bad the FA had to put out a statement about it.

Nothing stopping anyone making a thread when fans of other nations do something so appalling their own national associations have to make a public condemnation of it

davidnolan13

Oct 27, 2017
north east uk
I think people like that would use any excuse to be a cunt. The 3 lads missed, great let's abuse them. If they had scored they would have found some other reason, didn't play as well as player x, didn't tackle so and so at this point.