• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Oniletter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (permanent): Inflammatory whataboutism in a sensitive topic; downplaying racism; history of severe prior infractions
White supremacy and colonialism. Can't wait for Euro-hegemony to end.
Good luck replacing it with anything more inclusive / humanitarian / fair (in relation to ethnicity) if you are refering to China's emergence.

France definitely needs to do more to confront it's past. What the doctors are saying now isn't bad, but whew at the first comments.

Last edited:

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
If it was tested in Africa and a big success the initial invaluable vaccine stocks would be distributed amongst African countries first right?......Right?

OP
OP
Zweizer

Zweizer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
www.thestar.com

French Embassy condemns ‘test in Africa’ vaccine comments by doctors

“We are deeply shocked by these comments that, of course, do not reflect the position of the French authorities,” the embassy said in a statement.

The French Embassy in South Africa on Saturday expressed dismay at comments made by French doctors during a television interview in which they discussed testing a coronavirus vaccine in Africa.

"We are deeply shocked by these comments that, of course, do not reflect the position of the French authorities," the embassy said in a statement.

Mira has since apologized, while INSERM said the comments had been misunderstood.

"A truncated video, taken from an LCI interview with one of our researchers about studies of the potential use of the BCG vaccine to fight COVID-19, is currently the subject of misinterpretation," INSERM said in a statement.

Seems like INSERM (French National Institute of Health and Medical Research) doesn't see anything wrong with it.

Petrapan

Oct 27, 2017
Ignoring their tasteless comments, From a scientific point of view, BCG was is a common vaccine that's been in use for a long time with few side effects. It's not like they were advocating a trying a new completely unknown treatment. Testing it in countries which have not yet been afflicted by the virus or have had previous BCG-programmes, is the best way to get high quality data. And they participants will as a bonus be vaccinated against some horrible diseases as well. The desperate drug trials going on in the Western world now are much more likely to cause harm.

Azraes

Oct 28, 2017
London
The racism part is ridiculously dumb and they can actually be honest about what the current BCG research can do and position it correctly without their inherent racist ideas.

So BCG is the anti-TB vaccine. It's been mass produced and distributed and it forms as part of common immunisation against TB globally (sure it can't stop the new super immune strains but this works in a mass scale). Back in March, there was promising reports that BCG would raise immunity against COVID and they were going to give people booster doses of BCG to raise their immunity so that they wouldn't catch COVID.

If you want to test if it raises immunity, the better chances are to give it to regions that aren't suffering from high COVID infections as of yet because there's current discussions on COVID infecting healthy individuals because of excessive exposure to the virus.

Most of Africa isn't heavily infected by COVID so it is a decent geographical location to test immunity building by giving them a booster of BCG. But the fact that they said let's test it on them, and the verbage and everything is quite racist and bigoted and that is something that is just wrong. However, giving people boosters that can possibly bolster immunity and given under the usual constraints of a dosage is not a bad thing.

Oct 26, 2017
I remember them trying an experimental Ebola vaccine on non-African nationals first and did think it was better choice than treating Africans as lab rats.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The BCG was mandatory for school children in France between 1950 and 2007 and for health personell between 1947 and 2010, so there is almost no chance that he hasn't gotten the vaccine himself

It's still not any where close to being anything acceptable to say. This doofus has shit for brains.

Maffis

Oct 29, 2017
vaccines work on people that don't have the virus. Why would you test it on a place where people are riddled with it? how are we going to tell it's actually working?
Shouldn't the place were the virus is spreading and killing the fastest get the vaccine before, you know, more people get infected and dies?

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
There's actually a bit of logic behind it. Although the actual comments themselves were terrible.

They're talking about BCG which is a safe and long in the tooth vaccine.
There are two studies in Europe because anecdotal evidence suggests that BCG vaccination offers some protection against Coronavirus. This isn't just a case of testing it on the Africans.
Africa by and large is well behind Europe (we think) in the infection curve so it's easier to get a baseline from a less compromised population set
African countries lack the amounts of advanced health infrastructure of the type needed to treat serious COVID19 cases so a successful vaccination would be more beneficial. (BCG vaccination wouldn't be a successfully vaccination against the Coronavirus but is in theory something which might reduce serious cases of COVID19)

Deleted member 31104

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Shouldn't the place were the virus is spreading and killing the fastest get the vaccine before, you know, more people get infected and dies?

It's not a vaccine against the virus, it's a vaccine which anecdotal evidence suggests may limit serious complications from COVID19. Studies are being carried out in Europe to determine that. The point they were trying badly to make is if this reduces serious cases of COVID19 shouldn't we be trialing this in areas where they lag behind Europe in terms of the resources to treat those cases.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
not sure about france, but in my country tubercolosis wasn't really an issue anymore, most cases are from new immigrants whose children are still recommended to be vaccinated
The same reason we don't regularly vaccinate against smallpox in the West anymore. We've essentially eliminated TB in the West. And the BCG vaccine isn't terribly effective against TB in adults.
Thanks for the info!

snail_maze

Oct 27, 2017
Yes and we know why, because they cheap and exposed making them the perfect candidates to be taken advantage of. That's literally what he says.
No? The reason why you would want to add another region is to check that all the measures like social distancing and masks don't influence the results more than the vaccine. Even if the trial participants don't wear masks or change their behaviour you would still have the effect because the rest of society is. Adding a trial in places where people are more likely to be exposed in am unaltered way is a good way of validating it's effectiveness. I don't know if Sweden is running trials but they would prob also be a good group for trials

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017

tenor.gif

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
No? The reason why you would want to add another region is to check that all the measures like social distancing and masks don't influence the results more than the vaccine. Even if the trial participants don't wear masks or change their behaviour you would still have the effect because the rest of society is. Adding a trial in places where people are more likely to be exposed in am unaltered way is a good way of validating it's effectiveness. I don't know if Sweden is running trials but they would prob also be a good group for trials
Yes the man cares so much about "africa" he mentioned the continent not a specific country like your doing here. That's how deep rooted the implicit racism is. There's plenty of countries with low infection, many of which don't use masks etc.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are you familiar with the terms neo-colonialism and Françafrique?
Maybe it's time for you to educate yourself what the French government is actually doing in Africa?
Here is a good video for starters...

Dude knows. Just doesn't care.
This is the exact devilry the Obama Administration was preserving when we went into Libya. It's disappointing, how the hell are these colonies going to free themselves?

Evodelu

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 19, 2019
Good luck replacing it with anything more inclusive / humanitarian / fair (in relation to ethnicity) if you are refering to China's emergence.

France definitely needs to do more to confront it's past. What the doctors are saying now isn't bad, but whew at the first comments.
So you're a subscriber to Fukuyama's thesis of indefinite white supremacist hegemony?

No thanks buddy.

Oct 31, 2017
You people can't take care of yourselves so become our lab rat, it's for your own good.

Or how about there is a virus wrecking countries worldwide and there is a chance to limit the severity if we administer vaccines. Would you be interested?

If they want to help they don't have to be racist about it.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I do wonder if this virus was mainly an issue in Africa how much would the rest of the world really care?

Mercurial

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's bad enough that they're already suffering from the child king's irresponsible references to "miracle" drugs that are ultimately poisoning them due to easy availability and little/no medical guidance. Now this bullshit.

With both East and West being what they are, they can't look in either direction for actual help that isn't a thin masquerade covering exploitative intent.

I do wonder if this virus was mainly an issue in Africa how much would the rest of the world really care?

We didn't really care all that much about Ebola when that epidemic was raging so I'd expect the same until it became a threat to the West.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
From what I see in the articles, they're talking about tests in parrallel to those who are about to take place in Europe and Australia. At no point were they suggesting testing on africans only, or testing in Africa before anywhere else. The wording was absolutely awful and deserve backlash though, no question about that.
fwiw, the apologies and contextualisation, taken from the aljazeera article (because I know no one clicks the links):

I'll admit I don't have much goodwill towards people on french news channels, even "experts" who are just guests. The titles seem a bit misleading though.
But there was an instance of awful and disgusting racism on another channel earlier today, something that no amount of backpedaling will make right.
While they were showing ceremonies for all the deaths in China, you could hear one of the journalists who didn't realize his mic was on say to his colleagues, "they're buriying Pokémons".
So huh, in any case, fuck news channels and racism in media.
I haven't read much on this or this thread....but this is the first thing I thought about before reading the OP.

Oniletter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So you're a subscriber to Fukuyama's thesis of indefinite white supremacist hegemony?

No thanks buddy.
I'm a subscriber of seeing with my very own eyes and understanding myself which country would end "Euro-Hegemony" and what that would truly entail. Good luck wrangling better terms out of modern day China when african colonisation 2.0 has been well underway for some time now (by the same country you seem to be cheerleading for breaking ""euro-hegemony""(whatever that means outside of a vague sense of soft-power)).
No, they rather strongly implied with their post that the person they quoted is awaiting for PRC Hegemony to replace US Hegemony.
No, my post had nothing to do with the US. The US isn't really that active militarily and has almost zero presence economically in african countries. China on the other hand is ramping up their economic grip on the continent.

Last edited:

Deleted member 31133

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
That's racist as fuck. I thought the French were far more liberal minded and less racist, but the past 24 hours (with the Pokémon story) have been a real eye opener.

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
Of course, let's hope that whatever comes next will be better. Global Black and Brown oppression and economic destitution is unacceptable.

White supremacy must end. Full stop.

The reason why white supremacists fight so hard, even to the point of self-destructive tendencies, is because of the fear that they will be the ones who will suffer oppression.

After all, white people are a minority by population, but a political majority. Hegemony (colonialism, imperialism, etc) is their "self-defense."

which would be an unfair reading of that post, no?

It's not outside the realm of possibility that China could emerge as the world's lead superpower.

You have to understand what that means. More than just an Asian/eastern influence dictating the way the world works (such as the global economy being dependent upon the strength of the US dollar), but also, COMMUNISM, which as we know, the US in particular sees as threat as much as any brown person rising to power.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's racist as fuck. I thought the French were far more liberal minded and less racist, but the past 24 hours (with the Pokémon story) have been a real eye opener.
They enslaved Haiti, the slaves revolted and were forced to pay France reparations for their own freedom. They also get the lion's share of GDP from their former African colonies forced to kickup to them. As long as they keep the theft going, the devil's government still stands in my eyes.

When shit hits the fan and we successfully fight back, all these evil empires do is restructure their Black oppression and make it more palpable on the surface. Happens to our people worldwide. Fuck em.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
If it was tested in Africa and a big success the initial invaluable vaccine stocks would be distributed amongst African countries first right?......Right?
It's about an existing vaccin, BCG tuberculosis vaccine, which is already widely used. cf
www.researchgate.net

Figure 2. Map displaying BCG vaccination policy by country. A: The...

Download scientific diagram | Map displaying BCG vaccination policy by country. A: The country currently has universal BCG vaccination program. B: The country used to recommend BCG vaccination for everyone, but currently does not. C: The country never had universal BCG vaccination programs...

Deleted member 31133

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
They enslaved Haiti, the slaves revolted and were forced to pay France reparations for their own freedom. They also get the lion's share of GDP from their former African colonies forced to kickup to them. As long as they keep the theft going, the devil's government still stands in my eyes.

When shit hits the fan and we successfully fight back, all these evil empires do is restructure their Black oppression and make it more palpable on the surface. Happens to our people worldwide. Fuck em.
You should check out how close The National Front got to winning the presidency in france.

Gross.

I thought France was one of the good guys. The nation should be one of the leading examples of the EU. I'm surprised the EU lets them get away with it