• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
yep, anyone who claims otherwise is one of three things. privileged enough to be able to ignore it (white), too stupid to see it or racist themselves.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
If I was going to "astroturf" horrible racist attitudes, I would do it on gaming forums, on gaming voice chat, forums where young people are. I'm convinced this is what has happened, and is happening.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
fps games have always been filled with racist shitheads. it's the reason why i never used a mic. btw fps games are the only kind of games i've played that would use mics. i know other genres have the same problem but i don't play those games so i don't want to comment.

Last edited:

Deleted member 26900

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't get the point of this thread. Obviously racism is still a thing, especially in gaming. Give anyone an annonymous platform and they'll use the fuck out of that platform to talk about shit they'll get in trouble for in real life.

This isn't something that will be fixed in a few years. This is something that needs years of educational awareness to fix. And by years, I mean generations. It won't be fixed in the forseeable future.

But I guess you could say this is awareness.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
If I was going to "astroturf" horrible racist attitudes, I would do it on gaming forums, on gaming voice chat, forums where young people are. I'm convinced this is what has happened, and is happening.
There's actually a video or something about racist groups recruiting through videogames iirc.

Did a quick search, lots of articles. https://variety.com/2018/gaming/news/hate-groups-recruiting-gamers-1203019815/
Youtube link > Hate Groups Use Fortnite to Recruit, Says Former Neo-Nazi

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
Not very surprising it's Overwatch and especially on PS4. It's even worse on PS4 compared to other platforms.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
I think the title is more of a sarcastic take; we all know racism is alive and well but here's an overt video of it

OT: Yeah i had some bad run ins back in the PS3 days, I never venture into online chat anymore it's just a fucking cesspoll if racists. Only chat wiht people I know or mute everyone.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I challenge ERA to make this thread as popular as an EGS thread
PCzyJd3.gif

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Pikachu.jpeg

I was playing Apex and this dumbass teenager kept saying nigger like it was nothing. I eventually told him to STFU and said I'm black and that word is hurtful. He proceeds to say "what? Youre black? I dont believe you, you dont sound black"(imagine being this sheltered) and continues on with the "my black 'friends' let me say it" and "who gets to decide what words can't be said" stupidity. My friend and I are both on comms and proceed to laugh at him, telling him that he's the guy who gets a rude wakeup call when he's fired from his job for being a racist dickhead. Being the dumb teenager that he is he gets more and more upset eventually shutting up(not muted just stopped talking). My friend and I continued to call him fuckface for the duration of the match "fuckface, behind you! Hey fuckface heal up! 2 squads left fuckface!" It was worth it.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
I don't understand how people in this thread thinks that racism should be curbed in gaming culture, yet in another thread, 90% of those who voted think that gaming developers aren't morally obligated to push against racism. Not that people in here are the same as in the other, but that people cannot simply be "racism is bad" and then in the same breath say that "developers aren't obligated to create anti-racist themes".

If gaming culture is rife with racism, game developers should obviously do something!

Holy fuck at these results

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, a big reason why I don't play MP games. A large majority of the community is just shit.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
And people wonder some of us never venture into game chat. Bunch of nerds that wouldn't have the spine to say that shit in someone's face lol.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
I mean...was there ever any doubt?

The racist 14 year olds screaming the N-word on Xbox Live in 2010 didn't suddenly not become racist, and they sure as hell didn't all spontaneously stop playing videogames...

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how people in this thread thinks that racism should be curbed in gaming culture, yet in another thread, 90% of those who voted think that gaming developers aren't morally obligated to push against racism. Not that people in here are the same as in the other, but that people cannot simply be "racism is bad" and then in the same breath say that "developers aren't obligated to create anti-racist themes".

If gaming culture is rife with racism, game developers should obviously do something!
Now this. This is rich.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
The people that lurk or barely post so they can go back and talk about era on 4chan just can't resist when these threads are made

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
The reason why I never go into team voice chat. Overwatch can be a pretty relaxed game, and if the team text chat gets crazy (I've never heard the n bomb there in roughly 400h OW), I report and mute that, too.

It's amazing how many dudes run wild when they're anonymous but sit down and shut up when confronted.
Good old fear of getting punched in the face if people take it too far. It just works. Not so on the internet, unfortunately.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017

Just wait
Really, dude? you assuming just cause she black? damnnn
1. Stick to your day job, your comedic timing is broken

2. Your "joke" is a backfire. Pretty much reveals what you think about black people

3. Fuck off
Now this. This is rich.

This is the board that can't even check racist family members at Thanksgiving, but we're expected to wait a "few generations" for this behavior to die out.

Really is going to be proving ground if that type of behavior in the video isn't ban worthy. The gaming industry fosters this environment and does damn near nothing to curb it.

People push for Inclusivity and the reaction is that "devs shouldn't be forced".....

People like talking alot of shit to make themselves feel good but the truth is they have no stake in it... And for most it ends up being a negative because they don't get the products they would rather see. The whole thing is a wash honestly

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Guess it's time for me to yet again post why gamer culture is trash:

x6xvVAN.gif

ZHXiijI.gif

FkEXPEZ.gif

There ONLY one series of events that SHOULD ALWAYS follow: Publicly Name them, Shame them and then Indefinitely BAN them.

I don't understand how people in this thread thinks that racism should be curbed in gaming culture, yet in another thread, 90% of those who voted think that gaming developers aren't morally obligated to push against racism. ...

Holy fuck, I have seen disingenuous posts before and this is some platinum tier mental gymnastic. Fuck hell.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
These fuck cowards hide behind anonymity and would never say this in public as they'd get their asses kicked. I wish they had to use their real names online.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
This is the board that can't even check racist family members at Thanksgiving, but we're expected to wait a "few generations" for this behavior to die out.

Really is going to be proving ground if that type of behavior in the video isn't ban worthy. The gaming industry fosters this environment and does damn near nothing to curb it.

People push for Inclusivity and the reaction is that "devs shouldn't be forced".....

People like talking alot of shit to make themselves feel good but the truth is they have no stake in it... And for most it ends up being a negative because they don't get the products they would rather see. The whole thing is a wash honestly
Legit couldnt say it better. That thread and this one is indicative of the problem.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Even her twitter feed is met by people telling her to suck it up and "this is the internett".

Yikes

Oct 29, 2017
i hope you are talking about the "gamers" who call themselves that "title" because if you are really stating that the vast majority of "people who play video games" are that then....yeah not sure what to tell you.

I would've thought that the use of quotes would've been a dead giveaway...

I obviously mean people who identify with the label :p

Really, dude? you assuming just cause she black? damnnn

Goodbye racist!

Siinova

Oct 29, 2017
With how much better the sharing tools are this gen it's crazy how bad all of this still is.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Twitter is fucking awful. Giving people a platform like that where they can speak before they think is a recipe for disaster. I'd argue that the negatives far outweigh the positives.

Me and like three other people in the Apex community had to say a couple times why we rarely venture into game chat. Because shit like this.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Twitter is fucking awful. Giving people a platform like that where they can speak before they think is a recipe for disaster. I'd argue that the negatives far outweigh the positives.

We've already seen the negatives outweigh the positives.

Opinion is falsely equated and pushed as fact.
False information is pushed and consumed at higher rates.
People with no credential or authority are treated as credible sources
Racism has re-emerged as a normalized viewpoint.

Absolutely the negatives have outweighted the positives.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
On the flip side thanks to Twitter it helped expose that racist sob and it should've brought enough attention for Blizzard to machine ban that dudes account. It really just exposes that something has to get thousands of interactions before most companies do anything about it because their in-game reporting systems are fucking awful.

Brannon

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised. I go on to Rec Room every now and then, and I'm guaranteed to rack up at least 4nph because of my avatar. Yep, 4 per hour. The 'n' is obvious.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So how do we get them banned?
Their usernames are visible whenever they speak and OW just uses the battle tag iirc. Since this isnt the first time I've seen this today I'm betting it's gained some traction. A mountain of reports all for the same people would probably do it

Slai-Man

Oct 25, 2017
It's not about "Gaming" this is just people communicating, he will do the same stupid thing anywhere else.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Just a bunch of normal folks having a normal time.
Hey guys, I don't know why we gotta single out gamers here, racism is everywhere and you are implying it's only gamers, obviously!

If you think about it, you're being prejudiced against gamers right now! Isn't that hypocritical??!?