• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Let me help. The best song in CTR Nitro Fueled came out last month in the final grand prix. Best song I've heard in gaming in a long while.

When the song kicks in as you're speeding around a tight corner or taking a sketchy shortcut.... *chef's kiss*

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The virtua racing series actually has an incredible soundtrack but the music is rarely played in games. VR:D particularly has an amazing soundtrack by the legendary Naofumi Hataya (Sonic CD, NiGHTS into Dreams, Burning Rangers, Golden Axe, Ristar, Space Channel 5, and countless others)

Not racing, but it deserves a mention any time someone talks about Naofumi Hataya and music:

Oct 25, 2017
México
OP, I presume you haven't played Mario Kart 8 Deluxe?

Fully orchestrated jazz music. One of the best soundtracks of the entire generation (not only racing games).

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair there are very few games that even matches the quality of Ridge Racer 4's soundtrack
Reminder that Namco released and absolutely banging arranged album of R4 last year for its 20th anniversary.

545323269017042965.png

Tesser

Writer/Critic at Hardcore Gamer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Fast Racing Neo has a great electronic soundtrack.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Haha. It's just that CRT fans are always trying to put it above Mario Kart!

What the fuck are you even on about? Where? Where did the poster you quoted say that the song/soundtrack is better than Mario Kart?
They only said their favourite song out of Nitro-Fueled is the one they linked, and how they enjoy it.

I bet you're the kind of person who, if someone posts a rap song in response to the question "What song did you enjoy recently?", comes into the thread and posts something to the extent of "You rap fans, always pretending rap is music."

Oct 25, 2017
México
What the fuck are you even on about? Where? Where did the poster you quoted say that the song/soundtrack is better than Mario Kart?
They only said their favourite song out of Nitro-Fueled is the one they linked, and how they enjoy it.

I bet you're the kind of person who, if someone posts a rap song in response to the question "What song did you enjoy recently?", comes into the thread and posts something to the extent of "You rap fans, always pretending rap is music."
Damn.

Sorry, OK. Sorry for saying that.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'm just sharing the greatest so you can feel the joy that it brings

Bro, if you like the Top gear soundtrack, you should check out the Lotus Turbo Challenge games on the Amiga, as that's where the music comes from. All the games have incredible soundtracks, my favorites are:

All the lotus games have incredible soundtracks actually:

This one is especially cool because it's a remix of the Zool theme, another game from Gremlin:

R8tedm3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
This is where it's at, the grand daddy of all OST's...Gran Turismo 2, especially this intro song. The good old days...wish i could go back in time!!

www.youtube.com

Gran Turismo 2 Intro (US Release)

The intro to the US release of Gran Turismo 2 for PS1. Would say that this is the best intro of all 3 of them. Not saying that the EU & JP intros are bad, th...

Dec 15, 2017
Most soundtracks these days are pretty trash take the new Mortal Kombat games for instance. I have played those for more than 500 hours and can't remember a single stage theme

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Also, OP, the reason why a lot of more modern racing games don't have catchy tunes is because they often use licensed and/or ambient electronic music, which usually isn't composed to be catchy.
I can only echo the soundtrack for Crash Team Racing, but to add onto that, the classic arcade racer-styled Horizon Chase Turbo has some badass and catchy music:

Team Sonic Racing, for all of its flaws, also has some really good music that is quite catchy as kart racers tend to have!

I also really like Redout's soundtrack, even though I wouldn't call it particularly memorable:

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
OST wise aye, though I listen to the soundtrack of FH4 on a regular basis. So many good songs.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Racing's games are made or broken by their OSTs. Haven't played many this gen to judge, but they certainly have had a history of being bangers. I remember Motorstorm's OST well.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
Takenobu Mitsuyoshi makes less music nowadays.

Therefore, I agree. (IIRC the saturn version of the Sega Rally tracks were remixed by Naofumi Hataya, which is a double whammy)

e: there was one missing from the playlist I was looking at. It's important:

Last edited:

Stefarno

I ... survived Sedona
Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad someone mentioned the Lotus Turbo Challenge games so I can nominate something else - the Psygnosis F1 games.

Everyone brings up the Joe Satriani songs, but the rest is so great too:

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Fuck I was about to come into this thread just to share the Sega Rally love, and my job is taken by somebody else with amazing taste.
Takenobu Mitsuyoshi makes less music nowadays.

Therefore, I agree. (IIRC the saturn version of the Sega Rally tracks were remixed by Naofumi Hataya, which is a double whammy)

Even if you don't want to listen to anything else, at least give the shredtastic Gettin' Muddy a listen.
That guitar solo at 2:10...
chills every time
... then to that breakdown at 2:55 !

This single song alone influenced by musical tastes and encouraged me to pick up a guitar.
I still can't play this song.

BTW it was arranged (and performed) by guitarist Takayuki Hijikata.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
Terrible soundtracks is literally the one reason it's hard for me to get into the Burnout games. Each one only has maybe one or two songs that were interesting.

pennanton

Oct 31, 2017
Dirt Rally 2.0's menu themes slap and ties together the GUIs aesthetics nicely.

For how much it gets made fun of, GT5/6/S jazz/ambient menu ost is well implemented.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck I was about to come into this thread just to share the Sega Rally love, and my job is taken by somebody else with amazing taste.

Even if you don't want to listen to anything else, at least give the shredtastic Gettin' Muddy a listen.
That guitar solo at 2:10...
chills every time
... then to that breakdown at 2:55 !

This single song alone influenced by musical tastes and encouraged me to pick up a guitar.
I still can't play this song.

BTW it was arranged (and performed) by guitarist Takayuki Hijikata.
3k5Fx.gif

Wulfer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm glad someone mentioned the Lotus Turbo Challenge games so I can nominate something else - the Psygnosis F1 games.

Everyone brings up the Joe Satriani songs, but the rest is so great too:

Doesn't speak of Psygnosis! I'm still angry with Sony over closing that Studio! Bought them for Wipeout and then shut them down. And I bought their F1 game too.

deroli

Nov 5, 2017
Germany
I played a couple of good to great racing games with high production values this gen, but the most memorable soundtrack belongs to Absolute Drift IMO. That is partly because it features only songs from two artists, so the music selection feels very coherent and not slapped together like most other recent racing games. And even though it's not necessarily something I would listen to on other occasions, the soundtrack fits the game perfectly and makes drifting even more fun.

Racos

Oct 27, 2017
I miss the early 2000s rock from. Burnout, ATV Off-road Fury, and Twisted Metal!