• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
If there's one thing you could say about most racing games made on the 6th gen and earlier, is that a lot of them had very unique OSTs that stayed with you for decades to come. The soundtrack was pretty much a core element of the games, playing a big role in giving each series an identity beyond their gameplay. Ridge Racer Type 4 is not only stylish because of the cool-looking menus and clean aesthetics, it was stylish because at every point of the game you have banger after banger setting the mood:

Other good ones:
WipEout 2097 was not only futuristic because of the huge anti-gravity ships racing through exotic locations, it was futuristic because of the acid bass, the eerie distorted voices and the always-present kicks:

Other good ones:
Outrun 2 might be arcade perfection, but would the sense of freedom that the game gives you be possible if it wasn't because of the light-hearted nature of its soundtrack?

Other good ones:

SEGA Rally 2, Daytona USA, Gran Turismo 2, I could keep going, but you get the point. Racing games from that era put a lot of thought into what the game should sound like, while nowadays if you try to find an AAA racing game that takes an approach beyond "just put whatever's on the radio", you're pretty much stuck with Gran Turismo which still keeps that "worldwide" feel it's had since the original and Forza Horizon 4 which has a couple of cool songs too:

But it sadly feels like racing games' OSTs died alongside arcade racers. When even a WipEout game like the Omega Collection has like only 4 good tracks you know that something's definitely gone wrong; I really hope that over time racing games start getting more creative with their soundtracks once again, even if it's not particularly likely.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I have to say that I wasn't expecting Deadly Valentine to get a mention in the OP. Great song. I generally like listening to Pulse on Forza Horizon 4, and it's pretty solid, but I still prefer the music from Forza Horizon 3.

Also, I really liked the music in GRID. There were some races with some really intense music (often the music you'd otherwise only hear during replays) and made things feel that much cooler.

Also, Split/Second had some pretty good music.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Probably a symptom of not having a load of arcade racers this generation. Sims are fine but don't really have memorable music (some notable exceptions apply)

Driveclub soundtrack is great though.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Don't kill me, but Driveclub was one of the games without memorable OSTs I was thinking about lol. Can't even recall the main menu theme, but of course, opinions!

Not too many memorable original OST this gen but some games have music that i associate with them

Bassnectar - You & Me from FH2 launch trailer but not in the game

Nero - Me And You from FH1

And probably my favorite music from any game

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is true for games in general nowadays. Of course there's exceptions but with so many games going for the cinematic experience a lot just sounds like generic movie tracks.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't like these types of music, but Get Low in NFS: Underground was so good!

Underground had one of the best OST lists in all games IMO.
Also really loved Burnout 3&4 OSTs.
In the newer racing games, I liked this one in Forza Horizon:

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
You actually had to manually turn Driveclub's OST on iirc. Could be why some people forget it has one. I just put on an Initial D playlist whenever I played anyway.

Zaubrer

Oct 16, 2018
also, racing games lack proper progression nowadays. you gett all the nice shit right from the start. missing the times when you actually felt like you climbed the latter of success and car levels.

anyways, sorry for throwing that idea in here lol

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to compete with either Sega or Namco at their prime. Or, you know, basically impossible.

Music in western racing games has usually been lame frankly, outside of Wipeout. And usually it plays like a random collection of licensed music which is whatever.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Racing games barely exist these days. Let's worry about that before lamenting the loss of amazing soundtracks of yesteryear.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
Soundtracks are too big to remember them, esp when there's multiple ones depending on someone's genre pick.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
You actually had to manually turn Driveclub's OST on iirc. Could be why some people forget it has one. I just put on an Initial D playlist whenever I played anyway.

Yeah, I was confused, I don't remember Driveclub having an OST, and that was one of the reason's I didn't enjoy it that much.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
To be fair there are very few games that even matches the quality of Ridge Racer 4's soundtrack

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
You're so fine
I want you mine
You're so delicious
I think about you all the time
You're so addictive
Don't you know what I can do
To make you feel all right?

Don't pretend
I think you know
I'm damn precious
And, hell yeah
I'm the motherfuckin' princess
I can tell you like me too
And you know I'm right

She's like so, whatever
You could do so much better
I think we should get together now
(And that's what everyone's talkin' about)

HEY, HEY
YOU, YOU
I DON'T LIKE YOUR GIRLFRIEND
NO WAY, NO WAY
I THINK YOU NEED A NEW ONE
HEY, HEY
YOU, YOU
I COULD BE YOUR GIRLFRIEND
HEY, HEY
YOU, YOU
I KNOW THAT YOU LIKE ME
NO WAY, NO WAY
NO IT'S NOT A SECRET
HEY, HEY
YOU, YOU
I WANT TO BE YOUR GIRLFRIEND

Deleted member 59109

Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Looks at Mario Kart Wii, DS, 7 and 8

The Mario Kart series in general is always pretty high tier when it comes to soundtracks

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who has followed the Sega vs Namco rivalry for basically my whole life, this song is amazing on so many levels:

This is dream match stuff right here. Dooooot doot doot do doo dooot.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It wasn't until Shenmue that I finally heard the full Hang On Theme song. the SMS port only has the first couple of seconds of it. It blew my fucking mind that it was A) a full song and B) actually a pretty awesome song.