• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

greekappi

Oct 26, 2017
I have both a PS4 Pro and an Xbox One X and LOVE playing both Gran Turismo Sport and Forza 7. I have not, however, taken the plunge into the wheel and pedal realm. I'm not sure if I want to simply because the sheer amount of options is very overwhelming. I wish that both Microsoft and Sony would make their own official wheels so I could steer (a heh heh) toward them.

What are everyone's recommendations for wheels? Is there one that will work with both systems? Do I need pedals? I'm using a couch so do I need any other accessories like a stand or maybe something to secure the wheel? I'm hopelessly confused and in need of guidance.

blizzardjesus

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The wireless Xbox 360 U.
bc0813a5-8237-4e1a-b83d-1b3256171281.jpg

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I own the Thrustmaster TR300RS GT and it's excellent! In combination with a Wheelstand Pro, because I'm a couch gamer.

I once had a Logitech Wheel which was pretty damn good as well (for PC). Don't know the name but it had a red steering wheel. About 15 years ago or something.

Phinor

Oct 27, 2017
I must have bought a dozen wheels over the years and there's been pretty much one constant: the more I pay, the better the wheel. Obviously there's more to it than that but it's a pretty good guideline up to a point. These days I usually recommend staying with gamepad until/unless you are willing to pay around $150-$250 to get decent quality set. At around that price range you can find a good deal on for example a Logitech G29/920 or one of the Thrustmaster wheels. T300/TX with T3PA pedals is my sweet spot for price/quality but those usually cost a bit more.

dieter

Oct 27, 2017
I've got a Trustmaster TMX Pro, which I really like. Mounted it in a Playseat Challenge, which I'd also highly recommend if you need to pack away your racing rig (if you don't have enough space or a family etc). Then get yourself a drive hub (https://shop.cronusmax.com/drivehub.html) and it will allow you to use your wheel on any platform.

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
I have both a PS4 Pro and an Xbox One X and LOVE playing both Gran Turismo Sport and Forza 7. I have not, however, taken the plunge into the wheel and pedal realm. I'm not sure if I want to simply because the sheer amount of options is very overwhelming. I wish that both Microsoft and Sony would make their own official wheels so I could steer (a heh heh) toward them.

What are everyone's recommendations for wheels? Is there one that will work with both systems? Do I need pedals? I'm using a couch so do I need any other accessories like a stand or maybe something to secure the wheel? I'm hopelessly confused and in need of guidance.
Z28 (sim racing streamer) did a comparison a few months ago. G29 gives you the most bang for your buck and something which he doesn't mention is durability and Logitech products are known to be long lasting.

And it's far from a beginner wheel too, some of the top players use it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ilEKh62WsNE

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I had the G27 and then the G29. I love both (I like the G29 better because of the aesthetics, button placements and braking pedal improvements).

They're cheap and built to be pretty much indestructible. The G29 is not as cheap, but since they're so god damn durable, getting one second hand through a reputable store that offers good warranty (mine's from Amazon), chances are it'll be in pretty much mint condition.

Gran Turismo Sport in VR is just unbelievable.

OP
OP
greekappi

greekappi

Oct 26, 2017
I own the Thrustmaster TR300RS GT and it's excellent! In combination with a Wheelstand Pro, because I'm a couch gamer.

I once had a Logitech Wheel which was pretty damn good as well (for PC). Don't know the name but it had a red steering wheel. About 15 years ago or something.

Very cool, I will look into this. Would this Wheelstand Pro work with a Thrustmaster T-GT as well as the T-300 RS? What is the difference between those two? There is a near $200 price difference. Sadly I won't be able to use this with Xbox One I guess? Or maybe as suggested I could use this (https://shop.cronusmax.com/drivehub.html) hub or would that not work?

I had the G27 and then the G29. I love both (I like the G29 better because of the aesthetics, button placements and braking pedal improvements).

They're cheap and built to be pretty much indestructible. The G29 is not as cheap, but since they're so god damn durable, getting one second hand through a reputable store that offers good warranty (mine's from Amazon), chances are it'll be in pretty much mint condition.

Gran Turismo Sport in VR is just unbelievable.

I'm looking at the G29 as well, would that fit on a Wheelstand Pro? I need something for Xbox One for Forza 7 but I'm thinking the Thrustmaster T-GT or T-300 RS for Playstation.

OP
OP
greekappi

greekappi

Oct 26, 2017
So I have been looking at this list as well: https://www.gamesradar.com/best-racing-wheel/

I see the top of the list for PS4 is The T-300 RS so I think I'm leaning toward that. Still wondering about which Wheelstand Pro will work with it.

On the Xbox One side, they have the Logitech G920 pretty high up, and I was leaning toward that over the Thrustmaster TX Racing Wheel - Leather addition simply because the G920 has 1080 degrees of rotation whereas the TX only has 900. Is it weird to have Thurstmaster for PS4 and Logitech for Xbox?

Would this combo satisfy both my PS4 and Xbox steering wheel needs as well as the correct Wheel Stand Pros or do I just need one of them?

aMf8ves.png

Last edited:

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Very cool, I will look into this. Would this Wheelstand Pro work with a Thrustmaster T-GT as well as the T-300 RS? What is the difference between those two? There is a near $200 price difference. Sadly I won't be able to use this with Xbox One I guess? Or maybe as suggested I could use this (https://shop.cronusmax.com/drivehub.html) hub or would that not work?

I'm looking at the G29 as well, would that fit on a Wheelstand Pro? I need something for Xbox One for Forza 7 but I'm thinking the Thrustmaster T-GT or T-300 RS for Playstation.
I have it (G29) mounted on a wheelstand pro myself. Super convenient and fast to fold it and put it away, and it's rock solid. With PSVR it's mindblowing stuff.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
LOL I'm not even a racing game fanatic but I do play them occasionally and just came in here curious to see what everyone uses...holy crap, some of you guys have some amazing setups! Also I never knew that such serious and realistic race wheels were sold.

You learn something new everyday!

OP
OP
greekappi

greekappi

Oct 26, 2017
I have it (G29) mounted on a wheelstand pro myself. Super convenient and fast to fold it and put it away, and it's rock solid. With PSVR it's mindblowing stuff.
Oh man I am so excited! I can't wait to use this with PSVR and the Playstation Gold headphones I have. Actually question about those if anyone knows. It says they are 7.1 but how is that even possible with 2 speakers? Is this just a simulated effect? Can't I just use any old headphones connected to the PS via bluetooth to achieve the same thing? I have these bad boys https://www.sony.com/electronics/headband-headphones/wh-1000xm3 and would love to have the noise cancelling option for maximum immersion.

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
So I have been looking at this list as well: https://www.gamesradar.com/best-racing-wheel/

I see the top of the list for PS4 is The T-300 RS so I think I'm leaning toward that. Still wondering about which Wheelstand Pro will work with it.

On the Xbox One side, they have the Logitech G920 pretty high up, and I was leaning toward that over the Thrustmaster TX Racing Wheel - Leather addition simply because the G920 has 1080 degrees of rotation whereas the TX only has 900. Is it weird to have Thurstmaster for PS4 and Logitech for Xbox?

Would this combo satisfy both my PS4 and Xbox steering wheel needs as well as the correct Wheel Stand Pros or do I just need one of them?

aMf8ves.png
Have you looked into a Driver Hub? It allows wheels to be compatible on systems they weren't originally intended for.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
T300 + Wheelstand Pro user here.

Love it, but you won't be able to use it on Xbox. However it works fine on PC for Forza if you have a capable machine.

OP
OP
greekappi

greekappi

Oct 26, 2017
T300 + Wheelstand Pro user here.

Love it, but you won't be able to use it on Xbox. However it works fine on PC for Forza if you have a capable machine.
Good to know, very irritating that these things don't work on both systems. I think I might pull the trigger on the T 300 and the Wheelstand Pro. I figure this will be mostly used while play GT Sport in VR anyway and I can stick to the ol' Elite Xbox Controller for Forza Horizon 4 and Forza Motorsport 7.

maks

Oct 27, 2017
Wait till black friday and see what fanatec AMD thrustmaster have for sale. Fanatec had an affordable package in your price range last year and it seems likely they may do it again.

I've had a logi g25, thrustmaster t500, and now fanatec csl elite ps4. The t500 was fantastic and I do miss it even though I'm now on fanatec. Tinkering with your wheel for every sim and even car with the fanatec gets tiresome but the tradeoff is great control of the experience. With thrustmaster you get better game support and dont have to fine tune settings as much.

I cant recommend t300rs at $389. Its widely reported to have reliability issues after some usage. Also, t-gt has gone on sale as low as $450 at newegg.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/poll-thrustmaster-t300rs-gte-reliability-poll.329969/page-15

These are mid range wheels but if you have the money the lower range wheels really cant compare. The ffb isnt great with forza so people that are buying this much wheel are also playing assetto corsa, iracing, project cars 2, dirt rally to get the most out of it.

Barneystuta

Nov 4, 2017
Bit of a bump.

I've won a Thrustmaster TX Ferrari 458 Xbox One wheel on eBay for a good price. The seller is offering the GTE wheel add on, is that worth it for around £30-50?

itsmedave

Oct 27, 2017
TN
Bit of a bump.

I've won a Thrustmaster TX Ferrari 458 Xbox One wheel on eBay for a good price. The seller is offering the GTE wheel add on, is that worth it for around £30-50?

I like my GTE wheel quite a lot. I have the GTE, F1, and Alcantera wheel for my TX. The Alcantera is preferred but the GTE wheel is nice too. I think it's well worth either of those prices.

One a side note, huge +1 for the Drive Hub. Bought one for my TX to use with GT Sport, and it works fantastically. It's well worth the money rather than buying a new wheel for my PS4.

Barneystuta

Nov 4, 2017
I like my GTE wheel quite a lot. I have the GTE, F1, and Alcantera wheel for my TX. The Alcantera is preferred but the GTE wheel is nice too. I think it's well worth either of those prices.

One a side note, huge +1 for the Drive Hub. Bought one for my TX to use with GT Sport, and it works fantastically. It's well worth the money rather than buying a new wheel for my PS4.

Thanks, I went for it and it all should be with my by the end of the week.

Barneystuta

Nov 4, 2017
My TX with the GTE wheel arrived - it is a impressive bit of kit!

Never had a 'proper' racing wheel before and can see it taking some getting used to.

I am playing Forza, any suggestions for beginner settings on Forza Horizon? I don't want to fiddle with the sensitivity just yet, more trying to stay on the road would be a start haha!

OP
OP
greekappi

greekappi

Oct 26, 2017
My TX with the GTE wheel arrived - it is a impressive bit of kit!

Never had a 'proper' racing wheel before and can see it taking some getting used to.

I am playing Forza, any suggestions for beginner settings on Forza Horizon? I don't want to fiddle with the sensitivity just yet, more trying to stay on the road would be a start haha!
Ha seriously! I had to turn the force feedback WAY down. I'm a beginner to wheels and it felt like it was crazily overpowered. I've never had an actual car feel like that so I put it to where I felt it would most resemble my car, it's a Benz C 300 4Matic so maybe that is supposed to feel super easy to drive.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry for the necro but think my question is better here than a new thread.

I just ordered a G29 with a gear shifter. Is a stand recommended or would a coffee table be fine? Also, what's the most realistic driving game?(I'm trying to learn to drive)

Colfari

#TeamThierry
Nov 13, 2017
Germany

I just ordered a G29 with a gear shifter. Is a stand recommended or would a coffee table be fine? Also, what's the most realistic driving game?(I'm trying to learn to drive)
Depends on how you want to sit, I'd always suggest stand and or seat. I have the G923 and bought the Playseat Challenge, that setup is pretty good. You can fold the seat with wheel mounted, it's pretty sweet. I had my earlier wheels on my desk where my pc was located and sat on my offic chair, which was ok. Later bought the G25 and a wheelstand for the living-room, but always had to get a chair from the kitchen.
As far as games go, I'd suggest GT Sport, since you already have it. Play the campaign and the different leagues (start at the bottom) to get acquainted with it all.
Edit: It even has those instructional sections you are looking for.
Edit2: I actually did not realize you mean driving in real life. I thought you meant wheel driving for racing games. You don't learn real life skills from playing these games.

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Also, what's the most realistic driving game?(I'm trying to learn to drive)

Do not try to use a video game to learn to drive. No matter how good you think your wheel and shifter are, they are not remotely similar to driving a car. I say this as someone who drives far too much and also loves my steering wheel setup on my PC.

It'll set you back, give you bad habits and won't ultimately help you. I'm sorry to be a downer! But playing Gran Turismo or whatever with a wheel and then trying to translate that to real driving is a real no-no.

You need lessons and hours in a real car, doing boring things like checking your mirrors until it's second nature, doing hill starts, reversing into spaces, and just hours behind a wheel getting used to the feel of a car on the road. So much of driving is learning how it feels, physically, when things are happening (when you need to shift, brake, use your clutch etc). Learning how to use a gaming wheel or use a shifter or whatever is like 0.3% of learning to drive.

To give an obvious example, something like the instructional lessons in GT/Project Cars will teach you how to take a hairpin corner at 65mph and exit it with the most effective acceleration. Something you don't need to know. It won't teach you how to emergency stop when doing 30mph or how to smoothly gear down when coming to a stop at some traffic lights.

Last edited:

Watevaman

Oct 30, 2017

As ghostcrew stated, no game is going to translate normal, everyday driving skills from the game/sim to the real world. Some sims will teach you techniques that would help you in performance driving but in terms of accurate representation of controls, a wheel/pedal set won't get you far beyond the basic operation of things.

If you're looking to learn basic rules of the road and trying to practice very basic familiarization, you can go with American/Euro Truck Simulator and City Car Driving on PC. I have not played City Car Driving but it seems to be the closest thing to virtual instructor that is easily accessible. American/Euro Truck are about driving trucks, but they provide different traffic scenarios (roundabouts, lights, backing, etc.) that might be helpful.

Any of the racing games/sims will no be too good at learning to drive at your everyday speeds. Out of the ones I've played, Assetto Corsa is one of the better ones at simulating how a car behaves, but you are also very limited in terms of tire types and you will learn nothing about actual on-road driving skills.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Ha, thanks for the advice.

I had just completed my mandatory amount of lessons (12 hours in Ireland) to apply for my full license before we hit full lockdown in December. I should have a few months to practice in my friends car which I'm insured on but full lockdown has been extended til May-ish.

So when I say learn to drive I just mean a minor things like holding the gear stick lighter and having to think less about which way to turn reversing.

I'm not substituting video games for real driving it's just my only option at the moment.

crack-king

Oct 29, 2017
Now that Gran Turismo 7 is on the horizon I was wondering if there are steering wheels that work with the PS5 and Xbox Series X. Does anybody know that? I saw that the Logitech G923 is available with PlayStation or Xbox buttons, but otherwise seems to be the same device. Does anybody know if the PlayStation version also works on the Xbox or vice versa? Would be cool to use it in GT7 and then Forza Horizon 5 as I don't really want to buy two steering wheels.

PJTierney

Social Media Manager • EA SPORTS WRC
Verified
Mar 28, 2021
Warwick, UK
I have both a PS4 Pro and an Xbox One X and LOVE playing both Gran Turismo Sport and Forza 7.
If you want to use the same hardware on both, you need to go Fanatec.

Get a base that's compatible with PS4 (like the CSL Elite) and a rim that's compatible with Xbox (like the McLaren GT3) and you have a rig that works in both PlayStation and Xbox without any issues.

Oh snap, this post is years old. Thank you whoever bumped it 😅

Nov 8, 2017
I've got a Thrustmaster T300RS (mounted on a Playseat Alcantara) and I like it, but I haven't used any other wheels so I have nothing to compare it to.

I wouldn't say I'm a huge racing game fan either; I've only used it for Driveclub VR and Dirt Rally (I have no interest in non-VR racing games).