• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
It is sort of a reboot. Too bad the games as a service business model appears to involve releasing a game a year before it's actually ready to get that money. As with street fighter, I was one of those core fans that was happy to have the game even in it's stripped state.

That aside, the new game game is outstanding. A lot has been said about the online mode. It's super badass. But I want to say something about the handling real quick. The sublime handling.

I missed the beta, but when this first came out I noticed the feel of the tires. They had an incredible feel and an important aspect was either new from Gran Turismo 6 or had been enhanced if it was there before. It was the rubbery-nes of the tire's sidewalls. Real tires on the outside of a turn will support you until a certain point, after that they start losing support and they wobble a bit.

Gran Turismo is not an exact simulation. Certain aspects of the simulation are sort of dramatized.this may be one of those cases where this feedback is exaggerated so you can feel it just playing with the controller. But it was great to feel it. Unfortunately, there was a problem.

Around this wobbling point, the tires could lose grip very suddenly. And when we go over this line, they would not return to the gripping as easily as they should. Around this wobbly point, there's a lot of deflection in the tire and grip should be kind of mushy. You should be able to go back and forth over the line. But here, once you lose grip it was like you were on ice. You had to drive the cars extra carefully, and it took away from the fun.

Just a week after release, there was an update and this was reduced, but still not quite right. However, like over a year after the game was out, they updated this again and really fixed it. This time the tires might have been a little too easy to recover, but that's way better than skatey tires that you can't trust.

But best of all, you can finally get deep into this state where you're torturing the tires. The rubber is stretching hard in a turn and you are sort of buoyant in it. This is called a high slip angle, when the tire is stretching sideways a lot.

There are many more nice touches to the driving model in this game, but this is my favorite. And it feels like... well...

ZRwiTvC.jpg

banter

Jan 12, 2018
I still want a traditional GT experience starting off with an MX5 or Civic and then tuning it up and building my garage.
This 100%. Neither GT nor Forza do this anymore and I hate it. I don't want to start off with 10000000 credits. I want to work my way up starting with slow cars and building up. It was a huge part of the experience for me and it's been missing for about a decade now.

xch1n

Oct 27, 2017
This is a bit nit picky but posting comparison videos for sounds is not representative of what the car "actually sounds like," those videos are mixed and edited to match what people think cars ought to sound like. I haven't driven many of these cars, but having gone to races, I would never have "the same experience" because I would a.) blow out my speakers and b.) damage my hearing.

More on topic, GT Sport is a great example of a game that keeps just getting better, a la R6: Siege. And all of this with the least invasive MTX model I've seen in a while.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Dynamic weather and TOD is a huge omission, indeed. But back in GT5 and GT6, it was one of the big culprits for the framerate dropping like a rock? Maybe they wanted to avoid that, so they went with the decision to used exclusively baked-in lighting to keep the framerate up? IDK.

Either way it sucks.
Yeah...Gran Turismo 5 had way too much going on for it to be 100% stable. They pushed as much as they could. Much of the time it looked amazing to the detriment of frames but I always used the 720p mode with better aliasing. Performance didn't drag so much for me and it still looked brilliant.

OP
OP

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Yeah...Gran Turismo 5 had way too much going on for it to be 100% stable. They pushed as much as they could. Much of the time it looked amazing to the detriment of frames but I always used the 720p mode with better aliasing. Performance didn't drag so much for me and it still looked brilliant.
Yeah, it could look amazing at times. Take one of the premium race cars that actually have good audio (yes, there were a few that sounded good), and put it on Brands Hatch, or any of tracks that were built from the ground up for PS3, and it could look amazing. But it's just so inconsistent. Like half the tracks are PS2 carryovers, track like Laguna Seca, Motegi, Trial Mountain look lackluster. Or driving one of the 800 standards.
IMO, they shouldn't have bothered with 1080p mode, and just put those resources into 720p to get the framerate as close to 60 as possible.
Forza had no weather and night racing, but they mastered 60fps at 720p, and delivered more consistency. GT5 was jack of all trades, master of none, for me personally.

Tiamat

Nov 16, 2017
Is there a list with all the content added since launch?

I'm hesitating to rebuy it during the son spring sale.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
- Surprising amount of single player content for a online-centered game. The driver's school does well to teah you how to get better at the game, very helpful. Circuit experience mode is great too. Mission Challenge, the best mode of the game, gives you unique tasks and scenarios on the track to do, mixing things up a little. And finally, GT League is blast from the the past, and acts as the "traditional" campaign, not quite as full fledged as the previous games, but it compliments the other modes well. It's a decent suite of content.

It's great and if I enjoyed online gaming in any way, it would be the cat's ass. But i have to disagree on this point: it's fundamentally different from the prior entries because there's no progression. For better or for worse, it was the progression that kept me coming back to the old entries through winning new cars. GT League is just a collection of races that you're kind of just welcome to have a go at.

I suspect we'll see a full fledged GT7 at or near launch for PS5 (maaaybe as cross-gen) complete with a traditional GT experience... the lack of any new tracks for this makes me strongly suspect they have used GT Sport to slowly build new car high end car models, get the online infrastructure and systems right, and test the economy.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
The smoldering ashes of GT.

Kazunori Yamauchi, having been ousted by Sony for destroying GT, is living under an overpass.

Heartbroken fans have taken to driving their IRL cars recklessly on public roads the world over. There are many casualties.

STIs and GTRs are no longer being sold in the states. New Supra is canceled.

There are still no offline saves.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a list with all the content added since launch?

I'm hesitating to rebuy it during the son spring sale.

In terms of dlc cars and tracks. They added more GT League events, Circuit Experience events with each update too, but I dunno the specifics.

Tracks
Cars

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Running is that a shit ton of cars, but it's got a tone that I love. I was disappointed with the focus on late models when GT sport came out.

OP
OP

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Lol.

Polyphony forever destroyed GT for a dwindling Sport player base, I wouldn't even buy it if offline saving came with the upcoming offline content Kaz says needs adding to boost the player numbers.

GT is done.
I mean Sport does have more than 7 million players...

Edit: if this is sarcasm, i cant tell.

Last edited:
OP
OP

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Keep in mind, even though I praised GT Sport, I think Yamauchi is a wierdo and a straight up liar.
He said GT Sport wont have microtransactions, and then added them after launch. launch. He also said sport was "85% singleplayer".
After Gt 5/6, I think sport was good in spite of him, not because of him.

Tiamat

Nov 16, 2017
In terms of dlc cars and tracks. They added more GT League events, Circuit Experience events with each update too, but I dunno the specifics.

Tracks
Cars
Thank you so much!
Good support.
I'll rebuy the game.

Deleted member 2321

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just gonna copy/paste the OP from my own LTTP thread here. In short - love this game.

Here you go:

I have been pretty vocal in the past when it comes to criticizing PD and GT.

I considered GT3 A-Spec to be the last great GT.
Meanwhile I thought Forza had not only caught up, but also surpassed GT in basically every way.

That was until I bought GT Sport last week.

I stumbled upon a YouTube channel from a very nice guy who comments on replays of his own online races.
What I noticed was how fair everybody in his videos was driving.

Had to try it for myself.

The Sport mode in GT Sport is the best online racing experience I have ever had.

But also:

-the presentation is ridiculous
-the cars look insane
-the tracks are great
-the music is wonderfully weird
-scrapes mode is fantastic
-the amount of SP content is bananas
-the community makes amazing liveries
-OMG the replays
-the cars do not sound like roombas anymore
-game does an amazing job at teaching beginners how to get better

And most importantly:

Racing sims are very sterile these days, but not GT.
This game has HEART and SOUL.

I truly love this game.

Things you have heard about GT Sport might have been true in the past, but the game I picked up last week (with the many updates it has received) is an amazing package everybody should check out.

EDIT:

One thing that I forgot to mention is that I really enjoy the feeling of ownership you have over your cars in GT.

After an hour with other modern racing games you have a garage full of supercars and 30.000.000cr in the bank.

The progression in GT Sports is slower and I enjoy that. My 911 rsr is MY 911 RSR.

OP
OP

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
I'm just gonna copy/paste the OP from my own LTTP thread here. In short - love this game.

Here you go:

I have been pretty vocal in the past when it comes to criticizing PD and GT.

I considered GT3 A-Spec to be the last great GT.
Meanwhile I thought Forza had not only caught up, but also surpassed GT in basically every way.

That was until I bought GT Sport last week.

I stumbled upon a YouTube channel from a very nice guy who comments on replays of his own online races.
What I noticed was how fair everybody in his videos was driving.

Had to try it for myself.

The Sport mode in GT Sport is the best online racing experience I have ever had.

But also:

-the presentation is ridiculous
-the cars look insane
-the tracks are great
-the music is wonderfully weird
-scrapes mode is fantastic
-the amount of SP content is bananas
-the community makes amazing liveries
-OMG the replays
-the cars do not sound like roombas anymore
-game does an amazing job at teaching beginners how to get better

And most importantly:

Racing sims are very sterile these days, but not GT.
This game has HEART and SOUL.

I truly love this game.

Things you have heard about GT Sport might have been true in the past, but the game I picked up last week (with the many updates it has received) is an amazing package everybody should check out.

EDIT:

One thing that I forgot to mention is that I really enjoy the feeling of ownership you have over your cars in GT.

After an hour with other modern racing games you have a garage full of supercars and 30.000.000cr in the bank.

The progression in GT Sports is slower and I enjoy that. My 911 rsr is MY 911 RSR.
Agreed on all counts. Even the fact that Super GT's videos were half the reason I decided to try the game out again.

Though I disagree that GT3 is the best one, GT4 blows it out of the water with the amount of content it has (cars, tracks, career events), it's driving model which is not as slippery and more realistic than GT3, all without sacraficing quality (like the PS3 games did). With new features like photo mode and b-spec.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
So I dabbed again in the multiplayer and I'm having as much fun as ever even if only finish 9th or worse. I easily got back to SR B too after my accident months ago.

A1an

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I am beginning to get bored of Forza, am wondering if I am too late for GT?

Have I missed out on lots of free cars etc?

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
The "game" could have just been the Scapes feature, and I could make the argument that it's worth it. :)

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
I am beginning to get bored of Forza, am wondering if I am too late for GT?

Have I missed out on lots of free cars etc?
Actually you get the most amount of credits at the beginning when you're doing the driver school and mission challenges 🙂

Even then I'd save my credits because you get a free car everyday if you just drive 45km and you get lots of duplicates

Edit: and you also get more prize cars for finishing mission tiers, driver school levels and track challenges

A1an

Oct 26, 2017
UK
You know, just like every racing game, do events to earn in-game pretend money, and then buy cars with those moneyz.

I know that, I didn't/don't know if there have been challenges or anything where you can win free cars that are special and that event/challenge is the only way to get a specific car.

I have ordered a new copy for £14 :D

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I know that, I didn't/don't know if there have been challenges or anything where you can win free cars that are special and that event/challenge is the only way to get a specific car.

I have ordered a new copy for £14 :D

You played too many modern gatcha games, GTS is more old-school in that regard! :P Have fun, the game is amazing! :)

OP
OP

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Just wanted to bump this thread a year on, just to highlight what theyve added since then. I hope the mods dont mind.

- Two of the most requested tracks, Spa and Laguna Seca, with the latter being my all time favourite. Goodwood circuit and Sardgena (a fictiona track) were also added.

- Rain (Only on 3-4 tracks, but Im glad we finally have it). Its not as in depth as some other titles (no puddle accumulation etc), but its much improved from past GT games.

- Heavily requested cars like the AE86 and the new-gen Ford GT were added, as well as countless others (personally, the Porsche Taycan, the new Jaguar Vision GT Concept, as well as old Audi Tt and Renault Clio, and Porsche 993 gen were standouts)

- A cool litte trial mode for sport, its a set car and set car for a week or two, and its fun to see how high up the leaderboards you can go.

Polyphony have stated this years updates will be smaller and less frequent, though its understandable since were on the turn on the generation and they will shift focus to GT7.

However, were not totally done with support yet. We know some stuff that is still gonna arrive, like a Laborghini Vision Gt car:
www.gtplanet.net

Lamborghini Reveals Lambo V12 Vision GT, Coming to GT Sport in Spring 2020

Italian brand Lamborghini has revealed a full-sized model of its new 'Lambo V12 Vision GT', live at the FIA-Certified GT Sport Online Championship World Final in Monaco. Lamborghini is the latest carmaker to join the Vision GT program, and the second in two months following Jaguar's own concept c
Were also getting a Porsche Vision Gt car and also the 917 Living legend concept as well:
www.gtplanet.net

More Porsche Models Coming to GT Sport, Starting With the Taycan Turbo S

In a joint press conference at the 2019 Frankfurt Motor Show, Porsche and Sony have revealed plans to expand their partnership. With Kazunori Yamauchi present, the event previewed new content for GT Sport. This will start to arrive as soon as next month, with Porsche's Taycan -- just revealed for
A mazda RX3 Vision concept as well (not related to vision gt program, despite its name):
https://www.gtplanet.net/mazda-rxvision-gt3-gt-sport-may-25/
Also, Phil Robles' Honda Civic (I myself dont know what it is, its probably one of those tuned custom aftermarket cars) as well as a couple other cars been scanned too yet havent shown up in the game yet. Fingers crossed for another couple of new tracks too, while were at it.

Overall, an excellent racing has gotten even better in the past year.

Last edited:

myojinsoga

Oct 29, 2017
Enjoyed reading this, love-letters should always be welcome, and bumped whenever. I never went on the journey with GT3 - GT6, but loved one and two.

And it's interesting how the focus has changed but stayed the same? People complain about there being no progression. And fair enough, for some the whole concept of competing online just doesn't work for whatever reason, which really is a pity for them.

But on the one hand, the progression is in my skills. I'm the one putting in better and better times, and learning more and more (and more) about these tracks. I spent the better part of the last three days just working at Maggiore, watching the top players' laps and putting it into practice in qualis / races.

And on the other hand - as was discussed above - I am building a garage? It's not a carozzeria by any stretch; but I've built a stable of pretty kickass Group 3 motors, each of which I've had to earn somehow. And the customisation ... It's mind-blowing the extent of 100% free community content in the liveries, all decent to fantastic. When I wasn't racing (to rest my middle-age hands!) I was scheming on my next car and choosing between liveries for the ones I'd already got.

And then taking them out for a race, finding out how they all differ, what they're good at ... There's a wonderful sense of ownership in all this. It's such a desperate pity some refuse to even try it, because I think it delivers exactly what a lot of them say they want, plus actually meaningful races. What gives, man, what gives ...

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I'm a broken record with this, but the VR Time Trials are still one of the highlights of this game for me, especially being stuck at home more than usual. If you're buying it for ~$20 (or less), there's a lot of value to be had in even the basics for GTS. (And servers have been stable throughout the lockdown period, if anyone's wondering)

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
I'm a broken record with this, but the VR Time Trials are still one of the highlights of this game for me, especially being stuck at home more than usual. If you're buying it for ~$20 (or less), there's a lot of value to be had in even the basics for GTS. (And servers have been stable throughout the lockdown period, if anyone's wondering)

Absolutely. Even in its limited form, the VR provides really good presence. I throw it on just to drive cars around in VR, very relaxing. Definitely drive better in VR.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
Why do people enter this with low expectations when a lot of people believe it's the most fun GT.

Also, I love GT4 to bits, but better physics than GT3? You must have a bad memory, mate.

OP
OP

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Why do people enter this with low expectations when a lot of people believe it's the most fun GT.

Also, I love GT4 to bits, but better physics than GT3? You must have a bad memory, mate.
Mate, just go back and play GT3. It almost feels like a full arcade racer compared to the GT games of now, with the ease at which you can slide you car. GT4 felt much more realistic (for it's time anyways).

tmdorsey

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Georgia
Funny seeing this thread as I'm currently kinda stuck at the moment. I've been playing the second half of the mission content and got to my first endurance race. Trying to get gold as I've done for all the other missions up to this point, but it seems impossible at the moment. The highest I've been able to place is 3rd with at least 8-9 secs behind the 2nd place racer and 15+ secs behind the first place racer. Starting out 40 secs behind seems unfair at this point. I don't know maybe the car I'm using is the problem. I've been using the corvette so far, but definitely thinking about a switch.

Still loving the game though.