• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Hi everyone. So this weekend, I borrowed my friend's PS4 and his copy of Gran Turismo Sport, to try out the game for the first time since launch, cause I heard the game got a lot of updates that improved it significantly. At launch, I thought the amount of content was pitiful, hated the online focus and the fact that game was 99% online only, hated the lack of traditional meaty single player campaign, the removal of dynamic weather and time of day, traditional upgrading, lack of old cars, and more.

So needless to say, I went back in with low expectations. For some background knowledge, my favourite GT game is Gran Turismo 4. Still the magnum opus of the series. Takes GT3, makes the physics better, add boatloads of content, while bringing in new features like B-Spec and Photo Mode. The single player campaign mode is the BEST in any racing game EVER. Though I really liked GT2 and GT3 as well, great games all around.

Now GT5 and GT6, in my opinion, are an inconsistent, muddled, mess. Felt like a hodge-podge of assets from all the GT's. Now with GT5, it's now 2010, six years after GT4, on brand new hardware. Still using PS2 era cars dating back to GT3, and also GTPSP cars too. A lot of the older tracks that are carried over, like Trial Mountain and Laguna Seca. Just so they can write "1000 cars!" on the back of the box. There's a huge jarring gulf in quality between the new assets and the old. And I swear some of those tire squels are still from GT1. Too much repetition with some of the cars, like having 30 miatas and 40 civics. Just plain filler.
Meanwhile, Look Car audio and sfx that are way behind than any of the competition. Non-existant damage model. Not being able to do visual customization to your car. In 2004 it could pass, but in 2010, it's a no-no. The framereate was inconsistent, the loading times too long, menu cumbersume, and more.
The career mode, while still good, felt a step back from GT4. Most notably, only being allowed to get a prize car once, and the level system which barred you from getting cars you could comfortably afford. There were much less events in GT4 too. This is most certainly because of the increased focus on online, which I wouldn't paticularly mind, except they shut the servers down in just 4 YEARS.
I think the problem is they went too overambtious with this game, with how much they tried to add. That a lot of the additions feel half baked, like the track creator.
GT6 solved some stuff (better menus, better loading times, somewhat better graphics on tracks, removal of level system), but it didnt shake off those god-awful PS2 assets, which still makes it just a slightly less bloated mess than GT5.
The first two generation of GT had an established formula of new game with brand new assets, than the second games that takes those assets expands the amount of content significantly. GT5/6 should've followed that trajectory.
The physics and driving are great as always, but the package around it is just so bad.
Forza motorsport 3 and 4 absolutely destroys these games.

Enter GT Sport. Polyphony has FINALLY hit the reboot button, which was ten years overdue.
- Handling model is amazing, no surprise since it's GT.
- The online focus, while I hated it at first, I've realized how good the online is. Very stable servers, and just fun, clean racing, with it's regulation system. It isn't perfect (namely the penalty system being isnconsistent), but it gets the job done. The fact that races are at set times adds more weight and importance to them, I like it. Gives you time to practice the track. This online focus isn't for me, but I appreciate how good it is.
- Gone are the PS2 assets, every single car and track is built from the ground up especially for PS4. It's very consistent with it's quality. Man, these graphics are breathtaking. It's up there with the top dogs like Red Dead and Forza Horizon when it comes to graphics. But GT is more impressive, because it runs at a silky smooth 60 fps, which none of those other games do. These car and track models are simply the best in the business, unmatched by anybody else.
- Holy shit, the presentation and menus are sublime, the menus and music just reek of classyness. Replays are perfect too. Loading times quick.
- Scapes are great, you can spend hours and hours just tinkering around and getting shots.
- Finally, a livery editor, a very good one as well! Long overdue feature.
- PD has made big leaps and bounds when it comes to sound. Cars now sound pretty good, and you can tell them apart now.
- There's actually a very good selection of cars and tracks now after all the updates. Even if it's just shy of 300, the list cover the entire automotive spectrum pretty well. It has a little bit of everything. From your 90's JDM, to your 50's and 60's antiques, to your modern race cars, to a bit of rally, a bit of kei cars, and PORSCHES!
All this without feeling the list is bloated.
- Vision GT: It's pretty cool that manufactures made concept cars just for GT, and a lot these are pretty cool too, I really like driving these concept cars.
- Surprising amount of single player content for a online-centered game. The driver's school does well to teah you how to get better at the game, very helpful. Circuit experience mode is great too. Mission Challenge, the best mode of the game, gives you unique tasks and scenarios on the track to do, mixing things up a little. And finally, GT League is blast from the the past, and acts as the "traditional" campaign, not quite as full fledged as the previous games, but it compliments the other modes well. It's a decent suite of content.
- The love for cars just shows. I like thing like the brand museums to get a brief history of a lot of the manufacturers.
- I like the way cars are dished out with the daily gifts, and how you progress in the game. It's wierdly satisfying (though dont expect it to be like previous GT games)
- Damage model is a bit better than previous games, and time applied to every vehicle in the game.

There are things I dont like, like being always online, lack of dynamic time and weather, the upgrade system, B-spec, . Which all have been in previous games, and is taken away in this one. So it's not perfect by any means. Doesnt quite hit the heights of GT4 for me, which is one of the best games ever made.
However, it's tons better than the last few entries, GT5P, GT5, GT6, GTPSP, the best entry in the series in more than a decade. Polyphony Digital has got their mojo back.

It's a great game in general. Do I prefer it to it's arch competitor, Forza Motorsport 7? Uhh.. that's hard to say. In a way, Forza 7 is a better "Gran Turismo" game, than GT Sport. By that I mean, the big, meaty, car collectathon caRPG, all the previous games were. If you prefer those games, that F7 is the game for you. It's GT5 and GT6 done right. Lowkey, Forza 7 has also made an 180 since launch, and is now a fantastic game (it's not far behind FM4 for the best in the motorsport series). I'll do a thread on F7 in a month or so. Back to the topic at hand.

So to sum it all up, Gran Turismo Sport has brought the series back on track, in a way I though was not possible, after the dissapointment that were the PS3/PSP era of GT games. Getting my own PS4 soon to play some of it's exclsusives, and this one is the first one on my to buy list.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
You put it better than I ever could. The game just screams premium to me, from the slick menus, weird music, incredibly amazing photo mode (seriously, it's the best photo mode from this gen by far), and like you said all the love for cars that's in there. The low car count doesn't really bother me tbh, in GT4 I always ended up driving the same cars.

And yes the online races having set times is great.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
I think "return to form" is the wrong way to describe it, and I don't even think that's a desirable thing.

GT Sport is striking out in a bold new direction for racing games and imo is the next evolutionary step in racing games with its laser focus on the ranked competitive multiplayer against actual opponents. With its broad appeal it will also be able to spread this message much further than any hardcore PC racers like iRacing.

It's completely killed any desire to race against AI opponents (and maybe even against random online matchmaking opponents like in Forza or GT5/6), and this enables it to far surpass any heights that GT4 was able to reach.

While I hope caRPG is dead, unfortunately I feel they'll go back in that direction in the next game to appease the "haters", as it were. I only hope they'll be able to keep the online section going as it is.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah...Gran Turismo Sport is finishing up in a good spot. Plenty of content added to suit all needs.

However, there's still nothing quite like tearing around the pitch-black of night changing to a dawn Nordschleife in the fog. Watching the sun rise and burn through the clouds. Gran Turismo 5 is still the king of features. It's just sublime.

Hoping the next Gran Turismo gets night and day as well as real-time weather effects.

OP
OP

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
You put it better than I ever could. The game just screams premium to me, from the slick menus, weird music, incredibly amazing photo mode (seriously, it's the best photo mode from this gen by far), and like you said all the love for cars that's in there. The low car count doesn't really bother me tbh, in GT4 I always ended up driving the same cars.

And yes the online races having set times is great.
Agreed.
It's not even a low car count, if you look at the racing genre as a whole. 290 cars is more than 99% of racing games out there. What matters more is balance in the car selection. At launch, there was a total of one car older than 2010, out of all the 160 cars. Very bad balance. Heavy bias towards modern race cars.However, updates have completely rectified it.

OP
OP

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
I think "return to form" is the wrong way to describe it, and I don't even think that's a desirable thing.

GT Sport is striking out in a bold new direction for racing games and imo is the next evolutionary step in racing games with its laser focus on the ranked competitive multiplayer against actual opponents. With its broad appeal it will also be able to spread this message much further than any hardcore PC racers like iRacing.

It's completely killed any desire to race against AI opponents (and maybe even against random online matchmaking opponents like in Forza or GT5/6), and this enables it to far surpass any heights that GT4 was able to reach.

While I hope caRPG is dead, unfortunately I feel they'll go back in that direction in the next game to appease the "haters", as it were. I only hope they'll be able to keep the online section going as it is.
I guess we'll agree to disagree. I think single player is an integral part of what GT is, and shouldn't go away. It should be both a robust singleplayer, and a robust multiplayer, have the best of both worlds.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
I have the music off when driving, but the menu music and presentation is in a class of its own. I'm about 45hrs in so far. I play it every second day or so.

The cars sound terrific, and what about the audio during replays? Rivals the TV I'd say!

And finally since GT4 we've got a 60fps
lock 99% of the time.

All this free content is amazing.

OP
OP

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
giphy.gif

Jan 10, 2018
Yep, it's a great game. It only lacked in amount of tracks, but this will be easily corrected with a sequel (or more future patches).

Putty

Double Eleven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Middlesbrough
It's utterly fantastic! And the amount of content PD have pushed out has been terrific! Premium product is a nice way to describe it.

GTAce

Oct 27, 2017
Bonn, Germany
Only wish the engine sounds would finally be good.
I mean everything sounds great, incl. the neat mechanical noises they finally added. but the engines are still a joke.
It kinda ruins the great flow of new cars for me.

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game is excellent. As a sim racer, I think it's the best I've played period.
The online mode is substantially stronger than any of the competitors - though I've not played many of the PC sim titles.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
Only wish the engine sounds would finally be good.
I mean everything sounds great, incl. the neat mechanical noises they finally added. but the engines are still a joke.
It kinda ruins the great flow of new cars for me.

Besides some of the rally cars, the engine sounds are actually fantastic and pretty accurate especially for the road cars.

GTAce

Oct 27, 2017
Bonn, Germany
Besides some of the rally cars, the engine sounds are actually fantastic, and pretty accurate especially for the road cars.
Sorry but no. Some of the modern road cars are acceptable, but overall it's far from good.
Just use the start-sound samples when changing a car and then rev the engine like that in-game.

This is just one example.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
While I'm sure the online is great, I think it hurt them in the end. The game is constantly on sale and I think it has a long way to go to reach the numbers sold of previous GT games.

Personally i was very disappointed in the solo aspect of the game, so I haven't played it nearly as much as their previous entries. Really hoping they go back to what GT used to be in addition to still having a good online mode.

Animismus

Oct 27, 2017
While I agree the presentation is good, the menus are clunky and super slow. I would trade the powerpoint look for a snappier more informative version. For example, it is frustrating to choose a menu in the single player campaign to just have to go back and choose another again. It just takes too long. Further, and I guess they want to take the importance away from it, but it grinds my gears that I don't know how many golds I am missing on the campaign (Amateur, Pro, etc).

I really like that out of nowhere, I get the info that I got new cars (to win) and a track, for free. Is it overdue? Maybe. On the other hand I payed 15€ for my GTSport (+ the steering wheel).

The daily mileage to win a car is also nice, in concept. I reality and I swear that the RNG is super biased, I get 30 cars of the same 4 or 5 models.

Liveries are good I guess. Not for me, but I see how a lot of people might want it. Again, it is a pain to navigate and use to the point that I can't be arsed.

Gran Turismo is and probably will continue to be the only racing game I actually want to put some time in. And it all start with the PS1. I wish the menus were better, I wish the RNG was less biased.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry but no. Some of the modern road cars are acceptable, but overall it's far from good.
Just use the start-sound samples when changing a car and then rev the engine like that in-game.

This is just one example.

No racer has consistently accurate sounds across the board. Some of the cars and engine types in GTS could still use some work but those comparisons I posted are beyond "acceptable" and surpass "far from good" when they sound the exact same as the real video. And that was just one example.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Return to form naw. Well I love the game I think it's severely flaw in a lot of ways

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I have had a fantastic time with GT Sport but am not going to lie, I still want a traditional GT experience starting off with an MX5 or Civic and then tuning it up and building my garage.

The other thing I miss so much is the dynamic time, as much as GT Sport looks amazing nothing has had the same impact as the sun coming up at Le Mans or the Nurburgring.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
I really can't see going back to solo racing with "campaigns" any more. Nice to have, I guess, but the online racing is where it's at. I want to see them expand on this and maybe open up the "online" experience so gamers can create their own leagues/championships (basically do what their online content creation team does). You can do game rooms now, but there isn't the same weight that the Sports mode affords, i.e. no long-term "tracking" of participant results.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Don't get me wrong, I want all the online stuff as well :P

Oghuz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Loved this game when I got it and have played it a LOT since then. Then I took a long break. Two days ago I decided to fire up the game again. To my surprise I found out that they actually banned the shifter, which I specifically bought for this game, from Sport mode with the latest update. WTF. Really put a damper on my mood. I downloaded Driveclub and I'm enjoying the shit out of that game right now. I don't think I'll ever touch GT Sport again.

Give me GT7 with a greatly improved offline experience. I'm done with the constant changes in online racing. Bought a fucking hardware which worked for more than a year only so I can throw it in the trash now. If the offline league stuff was actually good I wouldn't mind it but that is some braindead trash level offline competition not worth my time.

Funkallero

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo
My favorite racer this gen and i've put a lot of time into Forza 5 and 6 (Bought an X1 at launch for F5).
Presentation, handling, graphics and sounds are just sublime. HDR on my Oled screen looks also amazing.
They've got an excellent base for a full fledged GT7 next gen.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
I realized I only use my expensive ffb wheel for GTS and still felt like it was worth every penny.

This is my go to game when I just want to relax and listen to music or podcasts.

I have never tried to drive in real life but GTS makes me feel like I should know how to drive if I ever get a chance to finally do it.

The different nuances and feel of each car is amazing. The controls feel weighty and alive.

I'd love for more non world custom tracks that are set in more unique environments such as mountains, cities and such. I also want point a to point b tracks in addition to the circuits we have now. With how good looking the game is. Unique environments will be a sight to behold.

I hope something like akina downhill is possible fown the line when we are getting the ae86 in a coming update.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
The best GT has been in years. Solid 60fps performance, slick presentation, fantastic graphics with amazing HDR and a great online mode. Trimming all the fat allowed them to create a much more focused game and it really paid off. Plus with all the free content they continue to add in (cars, tracks, single player championship cups) it's better than ever now.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I have had a fantastic time with GT Sport but am not going to lie, I still want a traditional GT experience starting off with an MX5 or Civic and then tuning it up and building my garage.

This is me too. I appreciate what GTS does and that it's taken a new path and it undoubtably has the best online mode of any racer I've ever played but I still feel like it's not what I want out of a GT game. But that's a personal thing. I actually really liked that they made the decision to call it 'Sport' rather than a numbered sequel because it establishes it as a different game and gives me some hope that we might see a traditional GT7 at some time.

So I'm 50/50. I like the game and think they've gone above and beyond to improve what they launched with. But equally it still leaves me wanting something else (something that they clearly haven't tried to make, to be fair).

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You spelled "Porsche" wrong so how can I even agree with you?!
On a serious note, the game is definitely not bad and the presentation is good, sometimes even awesome, but it's still missing weather (and by that I mean at least rain) and dynamic TOD which to me was a big benefit for GT5 and GT6 compared to the competition is now gone and isn't even talked about anymore and as others have said, I really liked the idea of starting with a standard car and then have the "career mode" to go up to the highest class. This is what GT also was in the past and it's now missing.
The fact that even for single player you cannot save the game while being offline is just bad save game design in my opinion - I understand the complains about save state editing by tools but seriously, this is a problem Sony has to solve on their end and nothing you should "solve" by saying saves are only possible when you are connected to the internet.

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
The FIA races are the best comp modes I've ever seen in gaming, other games need to emulate it!

DHC-Shannow

Oct 29, 2017
Manchester, England
I bought it on release and have played it pretty much every week since so it's fair to say I'm a fan of the game. The old GT games never hooked me this much so the change in focus works well for me. I even enjoy the offline content if I give myself a big enough handicap with car choice & power.... which probably isn't how it should be, ideally it'd work just like the online stuff with AI that can be dialled in to give you a good challenge but hopefully that'll come with GT7.

I do miss the dynamic elements that Driveclub had, in fact I wish GT Sport had incorporated much more of Driveclub's idea's with regards to challenges and unified leaderboards. It was great to be able to select a car and track then be able to constantly get the next quickest ghost to compete with seamlessly - you could just keep lapping and taking on all challengers and get as high up the leaderboard as possible. Oh and a proper, full game VR mode too please!

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
Sport is the first game in the series i bought since GT3. I was disappointed the game didnt have classic tracks like seattle, grand valley raceway etc. Also i dont like the chase cam and the braking indicator is dumb. Other than this i do like it.

MajorBritten

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I wouldn't class it as a return to form for the series, the updates have made a huge improvement to how it was when it was released, but its still nowhere near as good as GT4 in terms of content and enjoyment. The career mode in Sport is more of an afterthought with no sense of reward or progression. The online mode I rarely use because it takes way too long to start a race and usually the matchmaking is way too unbalanced, nearly every race I have taken part in online theres been one or two players that just dominate the whole race and finish around 10-15 seconds faster than everyone else. For me personally I find the Forza series to be much more fun to play with way more varied content, a fantastic single player career mode and better damage and weather effects. Although in terms of presentation GT beats the forza games hands down.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Engine sounds in racing games have always been a sore spot for me. There's something that is always severely lacking, even when they get the tone correct. It almost feels like they record them with the car in neutral instead of under load. They always sounds so muted and lifeless, and to be honest, I don't really know how they could do it better. Exterior cars sounds are especially bad. Example:

The tone is right, but it just... sounds wrong. And yes, I realized it's a stingray and a z06 but the point still stands because the tone is nearly identical but one is lifeless.

Also, you can't really just put the imperfections of real life (crackles and pops, etc) in there because they don't always happens so unless they program an elaborate system that randomizes when certain sounds happen, it will just sounds forced.

OP
OP

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018

The other thing I miss so much is the dynamic time, as much as GT Sport looks amazing nothing has had the same impact as the sun coming up at Le Mans or the Nurburgring.
Truth be told, I want all this too. While GTS single player offering is decent, it's no replacement for the big campaign mode with a better sense of progression, and prize cars/championships to boot.

Hopefully we're not too far away from GT7.

OP
OP

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Yeah...Gran Turismo Sport is finishing up in a good spot. Plenty of content added to suit all needs.

However, there's still nothing quite like tearing around the pitch-black of night changing to a dawn Nordschleife in the fog. Watching the sun rise and burn through the clouds. Gran Turismo 5 is still the king of features. It's just sublime.

Hoping the next Gran Turismo gets night and day as well as real-time weather effects.
Dynamic weather and TOD is a huge omission, indeed. But back in GT5 and GT6, it was one of the big culprits for the framerate dropping like a rock? Maybe they wanted to avoid that, so they went with the decision to used exclusively baked-in lighting to keep the framerate up? IDK.

Either way it sucks.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Engine sounds in racing games have always been a sore spot for me. There's something that is always severely lacking, even when they get the tone correct. It almost feels like they record them with the car in neutral instead of under load. They always sounds so muted and lifeless, and to be honest, I don't really know how they could do it better. Exterior cars sounds are especially bad.
The bolded is a very good way of putting it. I often think this... it's like listening to engine revving/exhaust sounds on YouTube where the person recording is just doing it in a parking lot in neutral for the noise, but none of the dynamics that come from driving the car under load. I'm guessing that they would at least record on a dyno, but I don't know for sure (and the dyno would add its own noise, so you'd have to isolate from that somehow).