• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
Didn't think I'd actually see people upset about this change in this topic, but here we are. "Censorship" lol

OGM_Madness

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Dec 3, 2019
Given the excessive amount of discrimination, stigma, and fear that trans people experience literally every day and every moment of our lives, where DO you think these battles should take place? If not in the one of the most culturally significant (for better or for worse) games of our time?

I'd say in our youth and local communities. And support charities that support the community in need. https://www.thetrevorproject.org/

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
A game is not a cartoon, you can easily update a game for the better without compromising anything.

It is a piece of interactive media that is getting a new release, too, not something historic that we sometimes view with curiosity.

Well said. It's not like the black and white Batman serials from the 1940's can be reshot to take out all the anti Japanese racist stuff. But this is gaming and it's easy.

More on topic this is a good thing. Yes it never should have been there in the first place and yes not everything problematic has changed. But the fact remains it was there and also that some good things were removed when Rockstar could have easily just taken the stance of the cartoons and said we're presenting the game as it was when released. That doesn't mean I think we need to do constant backflips but we don't get enough wins as progressives to constantly be upset when we do get wins. That's not healthy for any of us. Keep advocating for positive change and discussion. And at least allow a small moment of happiness for when we get that. It won't all happen overnight it never does.

As someone who absolutely expected no changes this has been a good surprise.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I'd say in our youth and local communities. And support charities that support the community in need. https://www.thetrevorproject.org/

a whole fuckton of "our youth" is exposed to games like GTA

I also don't think it helps at all to preach at trans members of the community about what the right approach is here. if all you can do is mention charities then you need to be looking inward at what you should be doing and not arguing that this isn't "the front." Rockstar basically had to be shamed into making these marginal changes. game devs and publishers can absolutely do better in this space.

Lego

Nov 14, 2017
Whether you find it funny or not, it's not worth potentially upsetting or hurting people, so this is a good change.

Care about people.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
While I'm glad they did this, I'm disappointed that this change is exclusive to the newer versions.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
good, little progress i guess? R* generally dont give a shit because they are swimming in mountains of money and they dont have to give a shit, they'd probably lose nothing if they let the content stay. (if you can even call that content.....)

i do hope GTAVI is totally crass and offensive and edgy and all that, but steers away from making fun of vulnerable groups. its just so tasteless and never funny except maybe to 13 year olds. just punch up at greedy corporations and celebrity culture and all that stuff.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
I really don't remember those character models but it's been awhile since I played story mode since I'm mostly on online these days.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Good news. Though I will say that GTA V is still so laden with horrible misogyny and down-kicking humor I don't think I could stomach playing the campaign again as the person I am today. Still an amazingly rich and detailed world, possibly the most accomplished game city ever created, but so much of that is undermined by the sometimes nauseating tone.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Not going to lie, small gestures like this do a lot for me. I appreciate seeing someone take a step in the right direction on this issue, particularly when it is in response to good folks (Carolyn Petit et al. in this case) reaching out.

Perhaps I'll plop down $10 for the PS5 version of the game after all.

Grenchel

Oct 27, 2017
I am glad they are finally doing something about this, but they are the one of the worst when it comes to this. The entire franchise is largely at the expense of the minorities.

I can't think of any mainstream game series that is worse.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad they're working to be more thoughtful. It'd be nice to include some positive representation as well.

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
Replayed GTA V recently.

On the one hand it's trying to do the South Park thing, and be both juvenile and satirical at the same time. Sometimes it works.

On the other hand - like South Park - when it doesn't work, it's not only unfunny, it's offensive.

I get the sense they've been gradually toning down the juvenile in favor of movie tributes. They're better at this. I'd be happy overall if GTA VI adopted a more serious tone, I don't think we'd be losing any great commentary on modern America if this happened.

(Also RDR shows that this is possible without being heavy handed).

Edit: To be clear and on topic - the trans stuff in GTA V is both unfunny and offensive, I welcome the change.

Edit 2: Recent playthrough also really brought home the issue with that whole 'terrorism' sequence too. Not just the torture stuff itself, but the portrayal of the victim, and the conversation with Trevor on the way back to the airport. That's definitely core content that can't be changed / redacted / removed so easily, and will remain a problem for the game as people try to engage with it in the future.

Last edited:

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
They had a whole decade to do this. Call me when they add positive trans representation instead of just removing negative ones.

HAL 01

Sep 17, 2021
This is gonna be a huge blow to the folks who seem to believe rockstar will join in on the "fight" against "sjw's"

Oct 25, 2017
it feels meaningful to me that there are people within a company like r* that, in 2022, have the power to push for something like this and succeed. props to those people, and to those who publicly pushed for this on the outside. it's not a huge step, but it's easy to overlook how ridiculously huge gta is and how much influence it has over normies -- r* being shitty about this wouldn't have been hard to imagine for anyone who lived through the 90s/00s.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Now you're just putting your fingers in your ears.

A joke at the expense of a cis person doesn't have the same as a joke at the expense of a trans person, when the current climate is trans people's rights are being drastically erroded. There is no "mocking people equally".

Try to understand this instead of talking over it.

The

"This house is on fire" arguments are lost on certain people clearly.

Shane M

Avenger
Jan 1, 2018
Thorold, Ontario, Canada
I hate that this version runs at such a high resolution. Why are they censoring the original low resolution it ran in on Xbox 360 and PS3? Instead of making the graphics better they should have just put a message at the beginning of the game explaining that the resolution stayed the same as the original to reflect the time it was made. At the very least they could have had a message explaining that the old bad graphics were replaced with new better graphics.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I hate that this version runs at such a high resolution. Why are they censoring the original low resolution it ran in on Xbox 360 and PS3? Instead of making the graphics better they should have just put a message at the beginning of the game explaining that the resolution stayed the same as the original to reflect the time it was made. At the very least they could have had a message explaining that the old bad graphics were replaced with new better graphics.
1BW4l2d.gif

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
This is very much a better late than never thing, but more notably, it seems unlikely such imagery will be seen in a Rockstar game again. And that's the ultimate goal.

Roryh

Nov 4, 2020
I went back on to GTA Online last week. Walked past an NPC who was in a phone call complaining about his dog being gay.

Edit: I wasn't trying to take away from the trans issues with what I posted above. Just wondering if there are any problematic voice lines that are still in game.

Last edited:

ethanradd

Oct 30, 2017
The GTA games have always had such shitty juvenile humor, I used to think it was funny when I was a kid but couldn't get into it by the time GTAV came aout, good riddance.

Koppai

Oct 25, 2017
Disagree completely.. this is clearly a form of censorship and you are also trying to censor another person's POV and think you can decide what the word censorship can and can't be used for.. frankly quite disgusting..

If you remove something that was previously available to everyone (no matter how foul, disgusting or wrong that thing is) that is censorship in it's purest form! Especially when they've done it without informing anyone that they did it!
Oh look at you. So you're okay with this shit in games? So gross. Stay banned please.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Good for them. I appreciate GTA's no holds barred style, but this is definitely one of the aspects that has aged like milk. It took too long, but I'm glad they have made some strides.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
Shouldn't have been there in the first place, but better late than never tbh.

Would like a more grounded tone a la IV next time round.

Oct 25, 2017

This is high-quality posting.

Ckoerner

Aug 7, 2019
I'm a cis white dude and this was cringy a decade ago when they tried to pull off this satirical edgelord shit. Glad to see someone at Rockstar has matured in that time, even if it's only a smidge. These "jokes" won't be missed.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017

vP6xKnL.png

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
GTA5 had a real fucking problem with punch down humour in general. I hope this is a sign that the writing in GTA6 will be better and they didn't just make these changes to cover their ass.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
That's nice. I haven't bought a game by them in a very long time because of how shitty they are with this stuff. I'm not sure that will ever change, even if they are trying to remove the most egregious stuff.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
GTA5 had a real fucking problem with punch down humour in general. I hope this is a sign that the writing in GTA6 will be better and they didn't just make these changes to cover their ass.
Cosigned.

That's nice. I haven't bought a game by them in a very long time because of how shitty they are with this stuff. I'm not sure that will ever change, even if they are trying to remove the most egregious stuff.
RDR2 is one of the GOAT games and part of that is that it seems like it's made by an entire different studio given how, despite being funnier than their last efforts, it never relies on punch down humor. So much so that some asshole had to RP as an asshole by creating videos about "killing feminists."

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Crass humour is cool, it's just not cool to do so at the direct expense of someone's life. If comedy dies for this, it's because that comedy was never funny in the first place.

Throwing a pie in somebody's face is always funny regardless of race, gender, sexuality, culture, and religion, but it's a lot less fun when the pie is filled with targeted slurs, y'dig?

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. Rockstar very much comes off as quietly endorsing the bigoted side of their fanbase, as an outsider looking in. Maybe this will bode well for the next GTA's "social commentary".

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Crass humour is cool, it's just not cool to do so at the direct expense of someone's life. If comedy dies for this, it's because that comedy was never funny in the first place.

Throwing a pie in somebody's face is always funny regardless of race, gender, sexuality, culture, and religion, but it's a lot less fun when the pie is filled with targeted slurs, y'dig?

Love this Terry Pratchett quote (that I'm sure everyone knows already),-
Satire is meant to ridicule power. If you are laughing at people who are hurting, it's not satire, it's bullying.

I don't think any topic should be off the table for humour but doing 30 variations of the same crass joke isn't funny.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
This is a good change and I'm not exactly worried about the next GTA change or not. I think it's important to remember the game came out nearly 10 years ago, personally I don't think I've seen these bits when I played it, but similar to the older GTAs some things aged poorly and some are still funny in their GTA humor style. Red Dead 2 is one of the best written games and didn't really feel "censored" and it also had an amazing diverse cast that felt like real complete characters and not shallow semi caricatures.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Love this Terry Pratchett quote (that I'm sure everyone knows already),-

I don't think any topic should be off the table for humour but doing 30 variations of the same crass joke isn't funny.
Like here, lemme put it this way.

If a comic routine can be summed up as "sounds about white," that isn't about the innate existence of being white, it's about cultural apathy from a white majority.

Going "okay but how about them PRONOUNS right fellas???" does not carry that cultural power, it is not acknowledging an existing harm, it just thinks it is because the cis majority thinks "gender is a spectrum" is an attack on them personally. Even if we existed in the egalitarian meritocracy these berks think we do, it's still treating a base humanity as something that only counts until it stops inconveniencing me.

This is, bluntly, why some jokes are good and some jokes are bad, but you can't tell that to someone who thinks they're the protagonist of their own life.

Daemul

Dec 13, 2017
Scotland
I just saw this thread and I was wondering why it was 4 pages long, since you think this would be a unanimously well received decision with no arguments to be had, but of course there are people in here upset at this decision. Of fucking course.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Were there any other changes or is this the only one? Mostly curious if it was to simmer backlash, or if there was any care to actually change some things.