• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

do you use qwerty or dvorak or other

• qwerty duh

Votes: 295 90.8%
  • i am uber cool so i use dvorak for the highest typing performance

Votes: 10 3.1%
  • i use other keyboard layouts (please post)

Votes: 20 6.2%

• Total voters

StrangeADT

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
QWERTY, simply for the convenience of never having to be on my device in order to type anything at all. Sure, it's still awkward to use someone else's keyboard as your muscle memory is built up for your own, but at least you also don't know to contend with a straight up layout change. I get that the alternative layouts are technically better, but there's something to be said for standards and the friction that is generated when you try to stray from them.

Drowner

Banned
May 20, 2019
I used Dvorak for a couple months over the summer as a teenager. It took a week or so to transition, but it was worth doing for the better comfort and ease. Unfortunately when summer ended I had to use QWERTY on the school computers, and now on computers at my job, so I abandoned Dvorak. But if you are able to use Dvorak exclusively I think it would be worth considering.

Paertan

Oct 28, 2017
any programming people in here: what language should i learn to make websites

im a noob btw
LPBesPY.png

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
On my mobile I got US Qwerty, UK Qwerty, Qwerty (German) and Japanese.

On my PC Qwerty International, Qwerty US, Qwertz German.

I can switch between different layouts on the flow. And honestly there is nothing better to keep the brain active. ;) Have been using switching keyboards since I am 11.

I am more fluent on US Qwerty, I love the international layout more and my "native" is most disliked.
I even went so far to import a Qwerty keyboard. ❤

its impossible to get those here.

Last edited:

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
I bought a keyboard that allows me to program other layouts directly on the hardware so I can instantly switch from standard QWERTY to COLEMAK
It's two keys by system standard. Wasted money. Why'd you bother to get a specific keyboard just to be able to reduce it to one?

shift+control

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
But what about Maltron?

I think it's hilarious that QWERTY was designed to slow down typists who were going too fast on early typewriters, but nobody has any clue what system they were using originally.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
Well, that's the best argument for continuing to use QWERTY I've ever seen

Hahaha. The man is a cantankerous old goat of an ogre. I think his solution was use a swedish dvorak keyboard, pop the non-us standard keys out. Pop in the corresponding us keys and have a keymapper run in the background. Keep in mind this was the early 80s.

His saga of running Linux in the 90s is wonderful. Man refused to use any MS products for a long time.

BetterOffEd

Oct 29, 2017
one more vote for Colemak

It moves the keys you need most when typing under the home fingers, but keeps other keys in the same location to preserve shortcuts like Ctrl+Z,X,C,V etc that you really want to be next to one another.
Also, because it's less of a change from QWERTY than dvorak, it's easier to learn (and switch in and out of). I've typed QWERTY and dvorak in the past. Colemak is the first time I haven't felt any further need to make a change

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
No one in the modern age uses touch typing anymore. Just stick with what 99% of the world uses.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Dear god the non-qwerty layouts are giving me intense confusion

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
But what about Maltron?

I think it's hilarious that QWERTY was designed to slow down typists who were going too fast on early typewriters, but nobody has any clue what system they were using originally.
QWERTY was not designed to slow down typists. That's a myth. It was designed to minimize the probability of two consecutive keystrokes jamming the type bars together in early typewriter models. While it's suboptimal, it's by no means designed to slow the typist down.

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
QWERTZ it is. Same letters as QWERTY, just with Z and Y changing position.

But with the exception of the numbers on top everything else is different. If you are used to QWERTZ you find absolutely nothing on QWERTY.

BetterOffEd

Oct 29, 2017
No one in the modern age uses touch typing anymore. Just stick with what 99% of the world uses.

are you serious?

If you are doing any form of programming or system administration and you are looking at your keyboard as you type, you are slowing yourself down

Keep your eyes on the screen and you catch/correct mistakes as you make them, you can more easily copy information from one window to another, you can navigate without using a mouse, and, most importantly, you type faster. Plus, your co-workers won't laugh at you. Nothing bombs a programming interview like hunting/pecking at a keyboard. Much like a pianist shouldn't be looking at the keys all day, and a guitarist shouldn't be staring at the strings.

Touch typing also benefits those who must write regularly, but the need for programmers is especially real

I used to think the same way you do, until I actually learned to touch type. Now I regret not taking it seriously when I first tried 20 years back

Nov 8, 2017
QWERTY, but if I had to go another I'd go with the very popular UWCARNY layout as featured in this one random screenshot from Batman & Robin.

ntqrdsodbv-bbbjznuerge2jaw.jpg

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
There's plenty of us that still touch type. Granted I'm old now so maybe that's the case.

As for changing from QWERTY i'm set in my ways. I type fairly fast with it and the gains I would get to swap out and taking the time to learn the layout doesn't seem like its worth it.

Honestly stick with what you're used to.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
QWERTY was not designed to slow down typists. That's a myth. It was designed to minimize the probability of two consecutive keystrokes jamming the type bars together in early typewriter models. While it's suboptimal, it's by no means designed to slow the typist down.

I was thinking as I wrote it that it's surely a myth, glad to hear it clarified. We still don't know what formats were used before QWERTY though, which is interesting.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I've been touch-typing with QWERTY so long I'm stuck with it.

It's like inverse look on a game controller, it's just ingrained into my brain at this point and the effort it would take to unlearn it just isn't worth it.

Oct 27, 2017
I work in PR/Journalism. I can type 120 wpm-ish. There is no fucking way I'm switching, ever, no matter how much "science" says otherwise. It is what I am used to and at this point there's no changing it.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I've occasionally had the misfortune of being stuck with a French-Canadian keyboard. They'd be on laptops my boss would buy on clearance. All the letters are in the same place as QWERTY, but the punctuation is all over the place.

yRXMEtJ.png

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Keyboard standardization changing scares me because it's going to mark the official beginning of the "I'm old and I cant do technology" downward spiral for me.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I type 100 words a minute with Qwerty and there hasn't been a practical use case for that typing speed for me aside from maaaybe a hackathon. Just kind of happened by accident, I distinctly remember my parents giving me touch-typing CD-ROM games as a kid to try to teach me and I hated it, just kind of figured out how to do it after way too much internet usage.

Can't imagine what possible benefits Dvorak could actually give for typing speed or comfort that would make it worth learning an entirely different layout that no readily available keyboards have...

Lebon30

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I use a QWERTY keyboard... but with the French Canada layout:
qNws6.png

It's really good to write a lot of languages actually. The red symbols, when you press them, they wait for another input. If you press space, it'll actually print the symbol itself. So, è = ` + e. ç = ¸ + c. Etc. It's not very efficient though... I can write fast enough in English but when I'm writing in French, oof, it's pretty bad. But I really love it to write English though.

Oh, and, before I forget, yes, I cannot write « » ° (key in-between left shift and z) on a US keyboard. There aren't good keyboards with that (shitty) extra key. So, I have to use Windows on-screen keyboard for it.