• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I currently have this annoying habit that I've found out I've been doing the past couple of weeks. I have no idea what prompted it, but I just caught myself doing it again today.

When I'm sending any kind of work email, as soon as I hit 'Send', I let out a little Wayne's World "Schwing!" to myself really softly, but loud enough that I can hear it.

It's very weird, and I just have no idea when it started, but I know it's been a couple of weeks that I've caught myself doing this. Working on controlling that when sending an email now.

Anyone else do anything weird for no real reason?

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I have had the same nightmare for the last month and even dream me realizes this and is tired of it.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Someone in my office has this image pinned to the outside of their cubicle:

1794eb9b7a8af9c394cfb432087c2a92--monday-face-its-monday.jpg

with meme text "This is my Monday face" at the top and bottom.

Every single time I pass it, I stick my tongue out as long and flat as possible and go "mlehhhh" as long as no one else is around

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
i type random stuff into search boxes and backspace it over and over while im thinking of what im trying to look up

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
My boyfriend says my habit is too embarrassing to post.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
I don't do this anymore, but when I was a kid, I used to have this thing where sometimes I'd do some innocuous simple little gesture like touching two fingers on my right hand together. Like, maybe I tap my right thumb and pointer together. But then I'd think "That's not fair to my left hand" so I would do the same gesture with my left hand to make it even.

But then I'd think "Hang on, I just did right-then-left. That's not fair, now I should do left-then-right to even it out.." So I would then tap my left fingers together again and then my right once more.

But then I'd think "Hang on, I just did right-left-left-right. That's not fair, I now should d left-right-right-left to even it out." So I would do the whole thing backwards again.

And then it's "I did right-left-left-right-left-right-right-left, now I need to do left-right-right-left-right-left-left-right."

And then "I did right-left-left-right-left-right-right-left-left-right-right-left-right-left-left-right, now I need to do left-right-right-left-right-left-left-right-right-left-left-right-left-right-right-left"

And I would basically keep doing it until my tiny kid brain couldn't keep track of it any more.

I scream in my sleep.

Same. And then it wakes up my wife, and then she wakes me up to make sure I'm okay, and then I get annoyed at her for waking me up because I don't remember doing it or having any frightening dreams, and then we go back to bed.

KuroNeeko

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
I have quite a few, though they've mellowed out a bit as I grow older.

1. I talk to myself when I work or walk. On longer walks, I hold debates where I think about what happened during the day and try to consider both sides of an event.

2. I have to close the curtains in my bedroom or I can't go to sleep.

3. Sometimes I get intrusive thoughts and shaking my head usually clears them right up.

4. I used drink a set number of gulps of water before bed--my age divided by two rounded up. I managed to break the habit awhile ago.

5. When I attend a meeting or restaurant, I always sit in the seat closest to the door.

6. If I think about the front door or windows at night, I have to go and check them all to make sure they're locked. Some nights I have to check each room to make sure no one is hiding somewhere.

I managed to create coping mechanisms for most of these, but I probably should have talked to someone growing up.

Before I play a new video game, I have to make sure the house is clean from top to bottom.

Now THIS is weird. lol
What is it, a guilt thing? Can't justify making time to play unless the house is clean?

I don't do this anymore, but when I was a kid, I used to have this thing where sometimes I'd do some innocuous simple little gesture like touching two fingers on my right hand together. Like, maybe I tap my right thumb and pointer together. But then I'd think "That's not fair to my left hand" so I would do the same gesture with my left hand to make it even.

But then I'd think "Hang on, I just did right-then-left. That's not fair, now I should do left-then-right to even it out.." So I would then tap my left fingers together again and then my right once more.

But then I'd think "Hang on, I just did right-left-left-right. That's not fair, I now should d left-right-right-left to even it out." So I would do the whole thing backwards again.

And then it's "I did right-left-left-right-left-right-right-left, now I need to do left-right-right-left-right-left-left-right."

And then "I did right-left-left-right-left-right-right-left-left-right-right-left-right-left-left-right, now I need to do left-right-right-left-right-left-left-right-right-left-left-right-left-right-right-left"

And I would basically keep doing it until my tiny kid brain couldn't keep track anymore.

I can sympathize with this!!

Oct 29, 2017
If I step over cracks in the sidewalk I make sure my left foot and right foot step over the same number evenly, or else it "feels" uneven.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is a good once I caught myself doing the other day, when I'm uncomfortable (like people arguing near me) I'll look away where no one can see my face and make a really exaggerated face, like a big grin or something. I guess its a way to release some emotional energy.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I sleep with my eyes open apparently. Nearly everyone I've shared a room with has thought I was dead because of it.

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I swipe my hand across a sheet of paper when I'm about to write on it, even if there aren't any eraser shavings on it.

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart
If I want to look up something on IMDB I'll often just go the the front page and try to find it only by clicking on links to movies/shows/whatever or actors/directors.

If I step over cracks in the sidewalk I make sure my left foot and right foot step over the same number evenly, or else it "feels" uneven.

That is some fine OCD my olive eating compadre.

Speaking of OCD, something really annoying I used to do back in the day, when it came time to return a DVD rental I'd take the disc out of the machine and put it back in the case. During the 10 minute walk to Blockbuster I'd open the case a number of times to check to make sure the disc was there, even though I know it's there because I put it there and a DVD can't teleport and ARGH...

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Whenever I hit a personal best at running, I always scream in celebration. Ofc that leads to very awkward moments when everyone sees a man jumping up and fistpumping. But I can't help myself.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I was going to say I post completely inane questions on ResetEra on the weekend, but a cursory browse of threads from the previous few days shows that many, many people do this.

I walk down stairs sideways sometimes because my right knee makes this rice-crispies sound if I don't, and while it isn't painful I'm very vain and don't want people to know I'm old and falling apart.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
I have a knack for constantly getting static shocks from door handles, elevator buttons, car doors, and soda cans in the store, so a lot of the time I pull out my leather wallet as a buffer to open and close doors, and I flick cans in the store with my finger before I pick them up.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
When I'm sitting at a computer my default way to rest my hands when not in use is the stereotypical ohm meditation position. I had no idea I did this until my colleagues took the piss out of it.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I use facsimile tactical door entries every time I enter and exit anything with a swinging door. Bedroom, restroom, office at work; i go in and out like I'm breaching, clearing, or sneaking around.

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart
I sit crossed legged in my office chair. Other people think it's weird but it's very comfy. Only at home when using the computer / playing PS4, never in an actual office.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Whenever I am in a dream or a nightmare that I don't enjoy I immediately start to scream (inside the dream) until I finally wake up also screaming. But it is just an soulless "Aaaaaaaa", it's not like I am desperate or emotional. After I wake up I just tell myself "what a shity dream" and go back to sleep (or trying at least).

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
If I want to look up something on IMDB I'll often just go the the front page and try to find it only by clicking on links to movies/shows/whatever or actors/directors.

That is some fine OCD my olive eating compadre.

Speaking of OCD, something really annoying I used to do back in the day, when it came time to return a DVD rental I'd take the disc out of the machine and put it back in the case. During the 10 minute walk to Blockbuster I'd open the case a number of times to check to make sure the disc was there, even though I know it's there because I put it there and a DVD can't teleport and ARGH...

I do something similar whenever Im going to fly or catch a bus (travelling). I will check if I have my passport and ticket all the time. Of its a digital file, or QR code, I download the file, send it through WhatsApp (creates another copy) and even take a screenshot. Part of it is fear of losing the damn file and part is to have a copy ready to be shown because I hate when people are in a huge line and don't have the stuff ready, so I dont want to be this person.

Oct 27, 2017
I do something similar whenever Im going to fly or catch a bus (travelling). I will check if I have my passport and ticket all the time. Of its a digital file, or QR code, I download the file, send it through WhatsApp (creates another copy) and even take a screenshot. Part of it is fear of losing the damn file and part is to have a copy ready to be shown because I hate when people are in a huge line and don't have the stuff ready, so I dont want to be this person.

Had this happen to me at the weekend, pulled up the wrong boarding pass and my phone then decided to go on strike and lose signal.

Cue irrational panic. Not great, tbh.

(I was saved by my ipad pro which had a local copy)

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
I like to bite people. Seriously, it's the worst feeling. You get this urge and can't hold back and want to bite down hard.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
I like to pull on the hairs of my beard one by one, sometimes completely. For absolutely no reason.