• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Saving RAM to SSD for every game creates a ton of writes on flash memory, which will shorten its life span. MS obviously accounted for that, so that average console shouldn't have problems in it's average life span, one has to wonder how long will these flash drives last for heavier users, and especially for people who like to collect consoles and use them longer than 5 years or so. So yeah, why is Quick Resume forced on me if I don't want it?

Perhaps they should also disable and ban games that autosave data? Think of all the wear and tear from the writes!

Mr Punished

Oct 27, 2017
OUTER HEAVEN
Maybe I've missed it, but is there an option to suspend a game into the quick resume state instead of shutting it down altogether or loading up an app like YouTube to force the game into the quick resume state? I've wanted that for a while to avoid the Xbox throttling my downloads while in-game.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I've missed it, but is there an option to suspend a game into the quick resume state instead of shutting it down altogether or loading up an app like YouTube to force the game into the quick resume state? I've wanted that for a while to avoid the Xbox throttling my downloads while in-game.
There's now a button to force the running game in suspend mode when you are downloading, it's in the download queue screen.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do see the warning while downloading if a game is in the background, but I don't see how to actually suspend the game itself from that menu. Is it in a preview build? Also, just being able to suspend the game outright would still be nice.
Oh I though it was already public, it's a new button next to Pause all and Cancel all.
But games go in suspend mode after 10 minutes when in the background. But if you want to force it to QR, you can start another game and close it right away, until the update is public.

Chippewa Barr

Aug 8, 2020
Thank you all for the examples. Sounds like I'm simply just not playing applicable games...which is completely fine! Not to mention any single player game I do play, I go HAM on anyways and focus entirely on it until moving on lol.

I'm gonna give it a shot though when I can, I am still stuck in the fully quit game mentality from last get it seems lol.

I always position it as an answer to these types of scenarios:

• You're ready to stop playing but your last save point was 10 minutes ago, you don't know where the next one is and your console is set to fully turn off
  • You're in the middle of a story mission and need to stop for some reason, doing so would lose your progress (again, console set to fully turn off)
  • A friend has come online and you're ready to play a multiplayer game but you're not in a position to save your current game
  • The console is shared by multiple people who play different games, suspending a game simply isn't an option as the next person to use the console will quit your game in progress to play their own.

None of these are related to fast loading, though that is absolutely a benefit of Quick Resume.

If you only play multiplayer games, or just play one game at a time with no outside factors affecting your play sessions, then I can see why Quick Resume might only be seen as an answer to loading times but it's really so much more.
Okay this makes a lot more sense.

Like you said though, I play a lot of multiplayer or "online" games.

Plus coming from the Xbox One/S/X days I think I'm still musclememory'd into hitting Xbox button then Quit subconsiously lol.
I don't understand how you can not use the feature?
My assumption was it takes space on the SSD (unsure of how little/much it takes however) and that if I play games that don't support it, why not have the option to disable it and reclaim that space?

Unless of course the space is hard coded into the SSD and you can't reclaim it anyways.
It's basically like a save state. Preserves your game in the exact same position and condition it was when you left it.

for example, if you were in the middle of a boss battle and had to nap, you'd get back to that same battle, with the boss's health at that same level.

A game merely loading fast to a save point would probably put you at the checkpoint before the boss battle.

You can turn off your Series X in the middle of a race or firefight or raid and it would bring you back to that exact same point when you fire it up again.

I'm as puzzled as you are.
Yeah I hear you now... gothi gave me a solid breakdown
There is zero energy usage for quick resume. This is not suspend like on PS4, Xbox One and PS5, which hold the data in RAM. This feature saves the game state on the SSD, so you can...
  • Unplug it
  • Update the console
  • use the feature on multiple games
  • use the feature on Xbox OG, 360, One and Series games
It's a amazing feature all around.There is not more energy use. This isn't comparable to suspend, which holds the data in RAM. QR uses the SSD and you can even unplug the console and it still works, when you plug it in and start the console again.
I disagree, because the feature doesn't work or need what you think it does. More info like power usage under the other quotes.

Btw this feature isn't just about loading. It's about the ability to resume where you want, when you want and so on. So you could do a endurance race and QR out of it, play something with your friends and go back to the race at the exact same spot. Due to this being a system level feature, it even works for older games and you can load RDR2 for instance within single digit seconds, whereas PS5 and Series (not using QR) need more than 30-60 seconds iirc.

Why is QR faster? Well it bypasses the loading of the game and simply writes and loads a save state to the SSD. It doesn't matter if that's a OG, 360, One or Series game. It'll just fill the RAM with the save state when starting the game again and bypassing any legacy code, loading of the game, ... in the process.
It's more than that as @ghoti said. There is always the expectation with the "switch" on PS5 that this feature will come and it could come, but as he said it's unlikely imo.
It's not the energy use I was really concerned with, it was the SSD space...I'll copy paste what I wrote above:
My assumption was it takes space on the SSD (unsure of how little/much it takes however) and that if I play games that don't support it, why not have the option to disable it and reclaim that space?

Unless of course the space is hard coded into the SSD and you can't reclaim it anyways.
Another thing is that maybe I used it when it was first released and buggy?

Right around launch I played Dante's Inferno and used QR, but when I came back, it had frozen the screen and I had to quit the game for it to come back. Thankfully I literally QR'd at a save point, but still. I had a similar experience with AC Syndicate, not sure why.

Your example of using it for an endurance race worries me though...would it work for something like Forza, which is constantly pinging online servers? I'd hate to be on lap 30 then use QR and it fail when I return lol...would be crushing.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Wait…why wouldn't you use it?

Edit: should have read the rest of the thread.

I still don't understand why you would explicitly quit out of your games, though, rather than take advantage of QR. I don't understand why people quit apps religiously on their phones, either. :-)
Yeah, I have a friend who quits games completely and powers his Switch off after he's done playing every time vs. just sleeping it and popping it in the dock or to a charger. He's worried it's going to ruin the battery, etc. So, people have reasons, even if they don't make much sense to me personally. LOL Being able to get back into my games within seconds was probably the best thing about Gen 8 consoles.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I stand corrected lmao. Apologies for those who took severe umbrage with me bringing up the environmental concerns

My favorite part of this post clarification is how you were wrong about something but decided that the correct response was to be snarky at the people who corrected you

Older games (360 in particular) have no idea how to handle quick resume. I started Lost Odyssey again (because it's brilliant and you should all play it) played about 3 hours then called it a day, when I came back the next day my in game timer was on 25 hours because I guess technically the game didn't consider it had ever been turned off. I think I'll probably end up hitting the 999 hour cap on this one!

Yeah, this is helpful for grinding old time challenges (which were frequently dumb). EG in Ultimate Ninja Storm, you can't advance the story without doing shitty side missions to grind up the XP to trigger a main mission. But one chain of side missions is "play the game for X hours" up to like 10 or 20 or something. Just with Quick Resume, I got all of the XP for those side missions from my console just sitting lol

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saving RAM to SSD for every game creates a ton of writes on flash memory, which will shorten its life span. MS obviously accounted for that, so that average console shouldn't have problems in it's average life span, one has to wonder how long will these flash drives last for heavier users, and especially for people who like to collect consoles and use them longer than 5 years or so. So yeah, why is Quick Resume forced on me if I don't want it?
hello samuel, i hope you're doing well. i think you may have misunderstood my question; while you raised a terrifically nifty point of how a solid state drive's lifespan can diminish by rewriting on flash memory, i fail to see how that is at all related to my original question of how saving the ram to the ssd is related to an always on/always connected/always watching device? please reread my original question before you make your response. cheers!

Kalem

May 23, 2019
So what's stopping Sony from saving these states as well, then, they got the technical expertise in ICE and make their own drivers, so....??

It's so odd.

When running bare metal you're incurring in very risky and expensive behaviors if you try to load and store an "instant" of the CPU, including cache, data in flight (read/write requests still being processed), registers, interrupts, etc. The right way to do it is not to record the final state but all the steps leading up to it from the latest "safe" spot (which can be several hundreds of instructions before and which take a LOT of processing power to retrace and record)

It's much easier when you're running in a hypervisor because the hypervisor assigns/creates the resources in the first place (by having the program run against a "virtual processor" then executing it on real hardware if the hypervisor deems the operation safe without compromising the system or violating the resources that it has assigned to that program) so it has a much better tracking of what's going on underneath and can just halt the execution on the spot, transparently to the program running underneath, and resume it with no issue.

Kalem

May 23, 2019

Even giving you the benefit of the doubt on this concern, even QLC flash (which is bottom of the barrel for endurance) on a 1TB drive can do on average 10,000 erase/write cycles before wearing off, meaning a write endurance of 10PB. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt again and make it so it will die at 5 years.

That's still an endurance of 5.5 TB per day.

To write 5.5TB per day of Quick Resumes, you would have to quick resume 343 (heh) times a day

SO

You would have to do Quick Resumes of 343 different games (because reads are "free" for most intents and purposes on NAND flash so switching between two already saved games is "free") everyday, for 5 years, to have a 50% chance (because that's how those modules are rated) your console will die.

If it's TLC nand, the number goes 5 times higher because the endurance is 50,000 erase/write cycles

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

Whatyearisit.png

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When running bare metal you're incurring in very risky and expensive behaviors if you try to load and store an "instant" of the CPU, including cache, data in flight (read/write requests still being processed), registers, interrupts, etc. The right way to do it is not to record the final state but all the steps leading up to it from the latest "safe" spot (which can be several hundreds of instructions before and which take a LOT of processing power to retrace and record)

It's much easier when you're running in a hypervisor because the hypervisor assigns/creates the resources in the first place (by having the program run against a "virtual processor" then executing it on real hardware if the hypervisor deems the operation safe without compromising the system or violating the resources that it has assigned to that program) so it has a much better tracking of what's going on underneath and can just halt the execution on the spot, transparently to the program running underneath, and resume it with no issue.
Thanks for the enlightenment, my posts do seem ignorant now. Live and learn.

So the hypervisor makes this stuff possible, does it mean we likely won't get to see this kind of stuff happening on PC? Unless DirectX introduces it for PC gaming?

Kalem

May 23, 2019

So the hypervisor makes this stuff possible, does it mean we likely won't get to see this kind of stuff happening on PC? Unless DirectX introduces it for PC gaming?

It's very very hard, debuggers attempt to do this and incur huge performance penalties.

On the other hand, emulators are a kind of hypervisor which is why savestates are a very natural, cheap, "seamless" feature on most of them (with the caveat that some stuff may break with prolonged savestate usage)

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
Big improvement! I'm sure the systems team will keep working on improving this functionaly, which for me, is the biggest innovation that next gen brought.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
They even changed this process -- when you turn your xbox fully off, it'll turn itself on to check for updates somewhere at night. With the short boot times there's really no need to use Instant On at all.
Huh, really? That'd be nice. Not sure if it is the case for me though, I'll have to pay more attention.
Didn't use it so far tbh.

I cut the power of my consoles/tv/etc. at night and while i'm working.

But thanks to the minimal loading times so far i'm not complaining.
Cutting the power doesn't affect Quick Resume at all.
I can't wait to post that quick resume takes up too much energy in for future quick resume threads. It's the new $1 game pass ultimate members
I also don't get why they don't simply admit their mistake. That would actually earn my respect. Their notifications must light up like a goddamm Christmas tree.

(Disclaimer: maybe they did in the meantime, I have only read until page 3)

OP
OP
Loud Wrong

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Huh, really? That'd be nice. Not sure if it is the case for me though, I'll have to pay more attention.

Cutting the power doesn't affect Quick Resume at all.

I also don't get why they don't simply admit their mistake. That would actually earn my respect. Their notifications must light up like a goddamm Christmas tree.

(Disclaimer: maybe they did in the meantime, I have only read until page 3)
They came back and acted snarky about people who pointed out how awful their take was.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
That's cool. Maybe I'll actually start using QR now. I never bothered with it but because of the short loading times I never felt like needing it

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
They came back and acted snarky about people who pointed out how awful their take was.

They didn't even respond with a new post either. They just updated their post where anybody following the thread wouldn't see and it would only impact getting more alert notifications from new replies.

OP
OP
Loud Wrong

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
That's cool. Maybe I'll actually start using QR now. I never bothered with it but because of the short loading times I never felt like needing it
I'll never understand this argument. A game like Dead Cells indeed loads quickly. I can get into a game within about 30 seconds. Or when I'm done playing, I can simply exit to home and then the next time I feel like playing I can get right back to the exact spot I was in within 3 seconds. If you're a fan of fast loading times, it doesn't get faster than QR.

They didn't even respond with a new post either. They just updated their post where anybody following the thread wouldn't see and it would only impact getting more alert notifications from new replies.
Jeez. Even worse.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

With DirectStorage coming to PC eventually, we could see it become available. It would require a DX12U GPU and an NVMe drive you're OK with sequestering some amount of space to be able to hold the RAM dump and other things MS is grabbing but I would assume it would be possible.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
I admit I never use it lol...not sure why,just the old habit of closing my game the old way and the problems it had with AC Valhalla,Gears and all the game I was playing on the launch weeks I guess...I should try it more often to get use to it lol.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
My favorite part of this post clarification is how you were wrong about something but decided that the correct response was to be snarky at the people who corrected you

LMAO people take umbrage with your console warring bullshit disguised as environmental concerns.

Sorry I wasn't trying to be snarky at all. My apology was totally sincere. I was surprised to see such a massive amount of constant quotes that I came home to after work. If anyone is bothered or offended, please accept my apology for misunderstanding and being wrong.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
how is this childish ass behavior allowed

not even that... it's not the console that's really bad on carbon, it's the power grid

so why not spend your energy on that instead of blaming a piece of tech for using too much power? why not try to fix the problem instead of of trying to fix everything else to accommodate the environmentally unfriendly energy generation that people are trying to avoid replacing for some stupid reason?

all it's doing is offloading the blame and spreading it other things for no damn reason.

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I don't see how PS5 could add that down the line. Xbox has reserved SSD space for this that PS5 doesn't. If they turn this feature on in let say 12 months and you have your SSD at 99% on PS5, how do you make that work ?
If they add this, they'd probably force you to free the necessary space for it to work. Or at least make it a toggle in the settings, and turning it on would require you to have the free space.

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
Quick Resume is such a game changer. It's a feature that I'm always wishing that I had whenever I switch from my Xbox over to my PC. Yeah, you can just keep a handful of games open and switch between them, but it's not as seamless as QR, and my PC doesn't really like it. Performance starts to take a hit. I can understand why some here don't use it, but on the flip side... There's really no reason not to, lol.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
With DirectStorage coming to PC eventually, we could see it become available. It would require a DX12U GPU and an NVMe drive you're OK with sequestering some amount of space to be able to hold the RAM dump and other things MS is grabbing but I would assume it would be possible.
DirectStorage doesn't have anything to do with it, it's the Xbox's hypervisor that does it, which Windows lacks. With the Xbox all the memory is contained; VRAM and DRAM are the same thing and exist in the same location and the HV holds all the resources. What the Xbox is doing with QuickResume isn't that far different from an emulator save state. Things like drivers and services aren't a problem because there is only ever one graphics driver and the OS has full control over it.

Even an HV on Windows (and you would need one, Win32 simply couldn't do it at all) presents a few problems, including that VRAM is in a completely different location and the graphics API is a completely different service (and networking, sound, other hardware related services and APIs, these things don't all work the same way), and both of these elements can change in the background. It's just not feasible to restore the state of an application just by snapshotting the memory, because the state of everything related to it has very much changed between iterations. We would need a massive overhaul in the concept of how an operating system even functions and the drivers it uses. You would need something, well, very much like the Xbox OS and a rather extreme redesign of how we even do drivers for different hardware.

Last edited:

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
This is the weirdest hill to die on.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Just make sure to always quit your games when you've finished playing them if you really don't want to use it.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
It's a preallocated chunk of space from my understanding, which is why the number of games that stay there keep changing as it'll depend on how much of each games state it can compress into that chunk. Disabling an individual game won't reclaim any space for anything not related to QR.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I bought an Xbox Series S solely for gamepass and I'm always amazed at how much quick resume makes it a joy to use. Excited to see it getting more transparency.

Do developers have to enable quick resume? Are there any major games without it?

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just make sure to always quit your games when you've finished playing them if you really don't want to use it.
Yeah, these comments are coming across as disingenuous, you can manage these scenarios, pretending there's no options is a plain lie. The concerns are tenuous at best. Why did someone feel compelled to associate carbon footprint to QR, which works without power. Utterly bizzare

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Quick Resume is such a game changer. It's a feature that I'm always wishing that I had whenever I switch from my Xbox over to my PC. Yeah, you can just keep a handful of games open and switch between them, but it's not as seamless as QR, and my PC doesn't really like it. Performance starts to take a hit. I can understand why some here don't use it, but on the flip side... There's really no reason not to, lol.
There are games that don't work well with it. Idle games like Clicker Heroes get put into a bad place where it saves the exact state it was left in with no time passing, so it defeats the entire purpose of the game. I'd imagine other games relying on time passing between system are not a great use of the feature unless you don't care.

Also, with no way to tell what games were in that state, I just closed games rather than trying to guess which games I didn't close after being done with them.

xGeneral Ice

Nov 1, 2017
It also shows if a game can be used for quick resume. When you hit the xbox guide button, where it was auto-hdr, it will also say quick resume too

Chippewa Barr

Aug 8, 2020
It's a preallocated chunk of space from my understanding, which is why the number of games that stay there keep changing as it'll depend on how much of each games state it can compress into that chunk. Disabling an individual game won't reclaim any space for anything not related to QR.
I gotcha now.

By preallocated, you mean at the system level yes?

Like for example even if you have no games currently in QR, the OS itself is still "reserving" a defined amount of the SSD for potential use at all times?

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even giving you the benefit of the doubt on this concern, even QLC flash (which is bottom of the barrel for endurance) on a 1TB drive can do on average 10,000 erase/write cycles before wearing off, meaning a write endurance of 10PB. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt again and make it so it will die at 5 years.

That's still an endurance of 5.5 TB per day.

To write 5.5TB per day of Quick Resumes, you would have to quick resume 343 (heh) times a day

SO

You would have to do Quick Resumes of 343 different games (because reads are "free" for most intents and purposes on NAND flash so switching between two already saved games is "free") everyday, for 5 years, to have a 50% chance (because that's how those modules are rated) your console will die.

If it's TLC nand, the number goes 5 times higher because the endurance is 50,000 erase/write cycles
10PB write endurance for QLC? You made these numbers up and your math is wrong. Typical 1TB QLC drive has official endurance of just 360TB writes (I'm quoting official Samsung 870 QVO specs). Anything beyond that manufacturer doesn't guarantee anything to you.
This is the weirdest hill to die on.
Write something constructive or go away.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
I gotcha now.

By preallocated, you mean at the system level yes?

Like for example even if you have no games currently in QR, the OS itself is still "reserving" a defined amount of the SSD for potential use at all times?
That seems to be the way it is, yes. (I've been wrong before, but I'm yet to see anyone say anything that reliably conflicts with this observation.)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Getting the new features early was the fun part of the preview program but, beta testing updates really fucked with my Xbox one and lead to a lot of hard reboots. I will gleefully wait for this feature.

Apr 12, 2021
I think I have only used Quick Resume two or three times and don't really care for it, but I could see myself using it more if it's right there in front of me.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I wish I could "ban" games from quick resume. You need to fully quit MCC to recover online functionality after resuming, so there's no point to its "support", for instance.

Kalem

May 23, 2019
10PB write endurance for QLC? You made these numbers up and your math is wrong. Typical 1TB QLC drive has official endurance of just 360TB writes (I'm quoting official Samsung 870 QVO specs). Anything beyond that manufacturer doesn't guarantee anything to you.

Write something constructive or go away.
That's warranty period, not endurance. And if the warranty is 3 years well, my numbers just got higher too?

Write something constructive or go away

And I was wrong, indeed. By a factor of 10, as QLC endurance is 1000 P/E cycles. But my point still stands. Dumping 30+ different games per day for 5 years to SSD is not something the average user or even a power user will do.