• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Note: The titles discussed below are installed on my external SSD (1TB 860 Evo).

Not until early last month did I use and discover the joy of the eponymous feature with the One X enhanced version of The Witcher 2 on XSX. However, I also noticed that the feature did not always work as expected (and I was told that Power mode for when I shut the console down has no bearing on it). So per observation:
  • Game -> Home -> Another App -> Home -> Game - Works
  • Game -> Home -> Another App -> Shut down -> Start up -> Game - More often than not it did not work despite the tag "Quick Resume" popping up on the top-right corner. Weirdly enough, I recall not playing the game 2 days one time and instead switching to Netflix and YT. Then on the third day when I started TW2, it quick resumed
  • Game -> Pause Menu -> Shut down -> Start up -> Another App -> Game- Same as above
  • Game -> Pause Menu -> Shut down -> Start up -> Game- Generally worked but success rate started to decline over time
And every single time, TW2 showed up in the Quick Resume tab (which Series consoles received a download for). I thought that this system level feature independent of third party dev support. I assumed TW2 being 360 title may have something to do with it.

And then a few days ago, I got Mass Effect LE and this time, the title does not even show up in the Quick Resume. Consequently, it always performed the typical start up. That is until today when I had the console in "Instant On" mode with the "Shut off storage device when system is off" unchecked (default state) when (while the Quick Resume menu was still empty) the game essentially Quick Resumed.

So, am I missing something procedure-wise that is causing this inconsistency?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
quick resume has softlocked three separate games for me so far, the last one being RE8

id go to it, the 'quick resume' thing would pop up, and then it would go to a static screen thats blurry and full of artifacting, no audio

luckily RE8 has pretty aggressive autosaves

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
It's an awesome feature that one out of three times locks the game and the controller stops working and I have to quit and restart.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I've noticed a handful of games I've used it with tend to be more sketchy than the others.

Oct 28, 2017
QR lost my sound for Super Hot (the one on Game Pass right now).

Not a big issue but had to quit and restart to get it back. šŸ˜¢

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Yeah, it's neat when it works. I'll be like "Oh yeah, I was here last time". But it's definitely very finnicky.
For the most part I've just been closing all my games at this point.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
it's worked perfectly for me outside of games like warzone that need internet and all that. I just quit out of those now.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
from what my family member says it seems to vary heavily depending on the game. Great feature though, hope they keep working on it

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK
It works with most of my games and I check the quick resume group after every new game I start, just to be sure and too see if I want that game in the queue

Pennybags

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Mass Effect LE straight up doesn't support quick resume for some odd reason.

Kwyjibo

Oct 31, 2017
Seems to work 90-95% of the time for me.

It fails mostly when the games stored for QR gets an update I find

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Games developed on the Xbox One SDK then optimized for Series X like Mass Effect Legendary Edition have to be tested and set to use Quick Resume by either the devs or Microsoft themselves. This in particular has been annoying when games like Nier Replicant and Judgment didn't support it either. Games developed on the new GDK are supposed to support it as the GDK was built with Quick Resume in mind.

Games that receive an update will drop from Quick Resume.

There's a known bug that they're tracking where games have no controller support initially when starting back up from Quick Resume. So there are still on going fixes.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't work half the time

That's a big exaggeration in my experience. I've only had it jank out like 1% of the time.

One thing I would like is for there to be a (maybe optional) warning message when launching a game that it will close some titles I have in Quick Resume. That's happened to me a couple times and is a bit annoying when it happens. Maybe not the most ideal UI/UX, but the option would be nice for me.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
ME legendary doesnt support Quick Resume. When it just started for you its because the game was never closed to begin with.

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
QR has worked pretty well for me. It hasn't worked flawlessly, but it definitely isn't anywhere near a 50% failure rate and I've been playing since launch.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
I've had a really mediocre experience with it. Prey, for example, never resumes properly (bad delays in UI input, no audio whatsoever). Halo MCC wouldn't matchmake last night after resumption. RDR2 also failed to output audio after resumption.

In my experience, it's not something that works as advertised. Somewhat disappointing and hopefully something that MS can improve over time.

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
Have to say, its been pretty flawless for me so I must be lucky. Only annoyances are games that need to reconnect to servers once you quick resume in.

As for Mass Effect, it's just not enabled for that game at the minute. Not sure why.

OP
OP
Hey Please

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
TIL I am not the only with issues w/QR and that success rate is also variable person to person. Appreciate the inputs thus far.

Games developed on the Xbox One SDK then optimized for Series X like Mass Effect Legendary Edition have to be tested and set to use Quick Resume by either the devs or Microsoft themselves. This in particular has been annoying when games like Nier Replicant and Judgment didn't support it either. Games developed on the new GDK are supposed to support it as the GDK was built with Quick Resume in mind.

Games that receive an update will drop from Quick Resume.

There's a known bug that they're tracking where games have no controller support initially when starting back up from Quick Resume. So there are still on going fixes.

I was not aware of One titles requiring prior testing before being supported.

ME legendary doesnt support Quick Resume. When it just started for you its because the game was never closed to begin with.

If that is right, then "Instant On" is essentially sleep mode that keeps the storage active throughout as if it was on pause.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
The problem is that my OCD-ish drives me to quit games properly when I'm done. It would be nice if there was a "suspend game" instead of just exit game option in the quick menu. As it stands it will only suspend a game of you go to another game without quitting your current game, shutting down you console mid-game, or going to the download queue to suspend your game.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
I love it when it works and it's an essential next-gen feature, but it straight up doesn't work 50% of the time on Village. It's infuriating. The arbitrary feeling of it working or not is really disappointing. Needs work to make it 100% consistent.

GlowingBovine

Prophet of Truth
Nov 27, 2017
Prey is the only game that's really given me issues consistently. I did have Fallout 4 try and quick resume but them reset itself like I was doing a fresh launch of the game.

But usually it works amazingly for me.

Apr 21, 2018
I really think it depends on the game. When I first got the XsX and was playing a lot of Xbox and 360 games, it hardly worked. Now that I'm playing more recently released games it seems to work %100. Purely anecdotal and I'm not sure if it's better now because of an update?

chipperrip

Jan 29, 2019

Funnily enough, a second controller will often work for me in these cases. That at least lets me make a save or whatever before quitting the game.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
For those of you experiencing bugs with Quick Resume please, please report issues using the "report a problem" feature of the console.
I've been lucky and had very few issues across significant usage but every time a bug is reported the system gets better for all of us šŸ‘šŸ»

Green

Oct 27, 2017
For those of you experiencing bugs with Quick Resume please, please report issues using the "report a problem" feature of the console.
I've been lucky and had very few issues across significant usage but every time a bug is reported the system gets better for all of us šŸ‘šŸ»

This. They're super involved in the feedback/insider stuff. Fixed a bunch of things I've reported over the years (not that it was because of my reports, but...)

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I really think it depends on the game. When I first got the XsX and was playing a lot of Xbox and 360 games, it hardly worked. Now that I'm playing more recently released games it seems to work %100. Purely anecdotal and I'm not sure if it's better now because of an update?
Yeah, same for me, I didn't have issues with newer games so far, but older ones, even some early Xbox One era games have issues with it.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's not consistent enough to deliver on the massive potential of the feature. Just the other day, I was super frustrated to lose about 40 minutes of playtime in Dead Space because it randomly didn't stay in Quick Resume.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe if you stopped shaming it on the internet and treated it better, things would work out between you too
Try making some dinner. Being romantic. Tell Quick Resume all the things you like about it, not only the things that make you upset

Rayasab

Banned
Apr 12, 2021
Hardly used it, most games i play are online, and rarely juggle between two games
the only time I noticed it was Yakuza like a dragon

Stone Dudeman

Oct 27, 2017
I've had pretty good luck. I beat Shadow of the Tomb Raider and it worked fine, Blood Bowl 2 has been in QR for a couple months now with no issues. Just started Control and it's working fine so far. It's annoying that Mass Effect LE doesn't support it yet though.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
isn't MS working on a number of quick resume fixes? Or was it just a UI component to tell us what games are suspended?

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
yeah its been super random for me on series X too, i do really like the feature of them showing current QR games and allowing you to "remove" items from the QR list (it will pop back in next time, so not perma or anything).

I generally don't depend on QR at all, and just view it as a bonus. I can't honestly tell why it works sometimes and not others, same games.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was not aware of One titles requiring prior testing before being supported.

Specifically, Xbox One games built w/ the old XDK. OscarK touched on this in response to bsigg in the past

www.resetera.com

Xbox Game Studios & Bethesda |OTXIII| Todd Howard & The Temple of Doom OT

Sure, I can provide a little explanation on this topic. For various technical reasons, games that are built using the XDK (the Xbox One SDK) have Quick Resume disabled by default; whereas games built using the GDK are enabled by default. In both cases, developers have the ability to force...

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
At least 50% of the time the game won't respond to button presses upon resuming (it'll clearly be running, with audio/animations/etc., just buttons aren't being read), and the only fix is to force quit and then ALSO do a full reboot. If I don't fully reboot it still won't respond to buttons, so I'll be stuck at the title screen. It's bizarre.

This happens with every game too, exactly the same way.

And then there's the issue with so many games being "live" games. MCC straight up does not recover online functionality after QR. You need to restart the game to access any online features.

OP
OP
Hey Please

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Personally, I have been fortunate to play the two games that allow the player to save almost anywhere. I can imagine it being an even bigger issue for the titles that rely solely on autosave or restricted to specific areas.

Specifically, Xbox One games built w/ the old XDK. OscarK touched on this in response to bsigg in the past

www.resetera.com

Xbox Game Studios & Bethesda |OTXIII| Todd Howard & The Temple of Doom OT

Sure, I can provide a little explanation on this topic. For various technical reasons, games that are built using the XDK (the Xbox One SDK) have Quick Resume disabled by default; whereas games built using the GDK are enabled by default. In both cases, developers have the ability to force...

Appreciate the link.

Maybe if you stopped shaming it on the internet and treated it better, things would work out between you too
Try making some dinner. Being romantic. Tell Quick Resume all the things you like about it, not only the things that make you upset
qVFPhnz.gif

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Purely anecdotal and I'm not sure if it's better now because of an update?
They updated it and now it loads faster and is more stable. Just keep in mind I am in the preview alpha program and can mixup timelines. But I think the quick resume update is already out (for everyone).

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Really cool feature but one that I don't use at all because it crashed a few times already so I just don't bother with it. Right now I much prefer having something like Activity Cards to load straight into my save; it's just safer.

May 14, 2021
It's neat when it works, but using it in GTA5 throws off the in game clock in GTA Online. It also causes hard crashes in Immortals, and audio sync issues in Gears 5. A game getting updated also appears to close it from the QR queue. It definitely needs work.