• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Antagonizing Fellow Members; Ableism
I don't have ADD so I don't feel the need to switch back and forth between 5 different games.

dynamitejim

Oct 25, 2017
It's not about swapping between 4 games at once. It's about playing a single-player game, getting a multiplayer invite, jumping out to multiplayer without saving, and then jumping back to your single player game exactly where you left off. It's about having minimal loads to your exact state in your whole rotation of games that you play over the course of months. It's about how multiple users can play different games and suspend them without having to restart.

We saw that same thing being done in the PS5 UI demo and it took all of ~10 seconds from a cold boot. And keep in mind any online game is going to take a certain amount of time to reconnect to online services (which might even take longer than it takes to quick resume!). It's a cool feature, but I think people really over rate it given how fast everything loads to begin with.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
I've thought about this, but seeing as I stick to one or two games at a time, I'm still going with physical.

With that said, all my 360/Xbox games are digitally owned, so I can test the feature on that.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That was the obvious point of the thread. Technically it could work but there would need to be some other license check implemented beyond just the physical presence of the disc, like if say each disc had a unique identifier attached to it and it could only be activated on a single console at a time etc.

That would lead to used game sales where the original user didn't free the license though. Functionally it would be Microsoft's original Xbox One plan and I don't think that's something they want to revisit.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Will we ever get something like this in a console?
OIP.JXDoVFCSTDaaPd7EJ3_1EwHaHa

šŸ˜‚

Feb 9, 2018
While I imagine people who have gone mostly or entirely digital are going to love this, it's not a game-changer for me. I don't mind switching out discs. It only takes a few seconds. I've been manually swapping out games since the 80s. I'm used to it. It's a small price to pay for actually owning what I spend my money on.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Digital has always been about convenience for me, and during game sessions with the fam, we can switch between 2-4 games easily. Quick resume with multiple titles is a game changer for us.

Now if you really like owning physical media, I doubt something like this would change your mind into primarily adopting a digital game library, but it's a really nice perk if you're already primarily/completely digital.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Quick Resume seems like a gimmick anyway. How many people really juggle between 4+ games at the same time? Load times from cold boot are super fast as well with SSDs. And loading a game you haven't played in a while is always disorienting, I can't see why it would be any different with quick resume.
I would say I rarely play one game exclusively so the expanded quick resume will be hugely beneficial to me. Add my kids into the equation and it becomes even more significant.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Will we ever get something like this in a console?
OIP.JXDoVFCSTDaaPd7EJ3_1EwHaHa

šŸ˜‚

Back in the 90s, GamePro magazine used to have this letters to the editor/letters to the magazine section, and Scary Larry used to answer them. I still distinctly remember one letter some person wrote in the 90s asking if there'd ever be a system that changes your games for you, swaps another one in so that you didn't have to get up, and the editor -- Scary Larry -- ripped the laziness of the person.

I honestly wish I could find it and that memory comes into my mind every once in a while.

Last edited:

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
Quick Resume seems like a gimmick anyway. How many people really juggle between 4+ games at the same time? Load times from cold boot are super fast as well with SSDs. And loading a game you haven't played in a while is always disorienting, I can't see why it would be any different with quick resume.
This is where I'm at. I can see the advantages of quickly swapping between my single player game of choice and my multiplayer game of choice. After that it's a none issue. Saving 5 - 10 seconds of loading on a game I play occasionally is negligible.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
I would say I rarely play one game exclusively so the expanded quick resume will be hugely beneficial to me. Add my kids into the equation and it becomes even more significant.

I have a brother-in-law who loves having me as a source on home electronics, and we talked at length about this feature in Series X while I was previewing it. "Your sister might let me buy one of these," was his takeaway from the usefulness of Quick Resume + discs.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
I have a brother-in-law who loves having me as a source on home electronics, and we talked at length about this feature in Series X while I was previewing it. "Your sister might let me buy one of these," was his takeaway from the usefulness of Quick Resume + discs.
Have you had a chance to test Quick Resume across multiple profiles as well? I'm very curious if it will support this for my kids and I.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
That definitely depends on how much of that game is on the disc.
I've heard this a lot, but 99 percent of games have most of the content on disk. Even preorder content is generally just useless nick nack stuff. The only exceptions I can think to this are fighting games with dlc rosters and GAAS titles.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Only one Gamertag supported on this preview device, as per MS pre-release requirements.
Okay, fair enough. Has MS mentioned anything about Quick Resume across multiple profiles then? I know there have been tests saying anywhere from 4-10 games can be saved (depending on size and gen), but I'm curious whether it will save across multiple profiles as well since that is the most common case for clearing a game session in my household.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I think OP is implying quick resume loses its value with physical media because you still need to swap out discs.

Either way, I only play one game at a time so the quick resume feature will be mostly useless to me. I will stick with physical games.

Yeah this is how I read the OP.

But I see this less as 'quickly switching back and forth between games' and more like 'save states'. I know the demos are showing quickly flipping back and forth but that feels like an artificial example to showcase loading times. Most of the time you'll be playing one or two games

LeMillion

Jun 9, 2020
Do we know when the disc check happens with quick resume?

IE: Does it ask for the disc before even showing the splash screen, or does it just load the game and then ask for the disc?

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
For me personally I tend to stick with one game at a time, at least on console - some sort of single-player experience. Since I tend to play multiplayer stuff on PC, but it is an interesting point to bring up. I think the fact cold boot loading is so fast lessens the issue further too but still.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Yeah this is how I read the OP.

But I see this less as 'quickly switching back and forth between games' and more like 'save states'. I know the demos are showing quickly flipping back and forth but that feels like an artificial example to showcase loading times. Most of the time you'll be playing one or two games

Here's my assumption: Quick Resume will work, but you'll wind up with the same hiccups when a game recognizes a "profile has signed out" issue while juggling multiple accounts on a single game. Test that out on your current Xbox One, where you back out to the Home menu, switch to a new profile, then go back to the game. Xbox Series X will likely continue keeping so many games in Quick Resume RAM, only to toss up more of those error messages as profiles switch.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Here's my assumption: Quick Resume will work, but you'll wind up with the same hiccups when a game recognizes a "profile has signed out" issue while juggling multiple accounts on a single game. Test that out on your current Xbox One, where you back out to the Home menu, switch to a new profile, then go back to the game. Xbox Series X will likely continue keeping so many games in Quick Resume RAM, only to toss up more of those error messages as profiles switch.

oh god xbox current rest mode resume is so bad. I hope its better than that but I can understand what you're saying. Fingers crossed I guess.

Its definitely for me a 'I can stop playing whenever and not be worried if my kids start a new game and fuck up my 'suspended ram state'. I don't need multiple slots myself as long as my stuff is protected when profiles change..

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
This, along with Remote Play are my primary reasons for getting the PS5 DE. You out on miss so much convenience with discs
Suspend/resume has always been spotty on Xbox One. Even my Xbox One X is a toss up whether it will resume my suspended RDR2 game or not when we've used a few media apps between. Hopefully this solution is more consistent for both platforms.

Kiro

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
It's nice for games with location saves like Demon Souls. I may need to stop playing without reaching a bonfire. So having that resume feature even with discs is beneficial for me.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
I would assume the same if it's within the same game but a different profile, same as what happens today. But, if it's a different profile and game then I wonder if it will persist the session for when the original profile comes back. This will be one of the first scenarios I test on launch day.

Its definitely for me a 'I can stop playing whenever and not be worried if my kids start a new game and fuck up my 'suspended ram state'. I don't need multiple slots myself as long as my stuff is protected when profiles change..
Exactly, this is my daily situation... I can play (and quick resume) all day long, until the kids come home from school and mess it all up.

Zarshack

May 15, 2018
Australia
That would lead to used game sales where the original user didn't free the license though. Functionally it would be Microsoft's original Xbox One plan and I don't think that's something they want to revisit.
Correct it does sound similar to the system MS tried to push with the Xbox One at launch, so we don't really want to go down that path. It would add a lot of complication to things to come up with a licensing system that works which would allow people to still trade/loan their games.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
Doesn't the PS5 cold boot games in under 10 seconds? That and swiping the disk is hardly enough of a reason to get a digital console, imo.