• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mecha

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
Just wanted to make a quick thread about how the new features that are forthcoming with both next-gen consoles and their SSDs could have an impact in your purchase decision between digital and physical media.

Seeing how features like quick resume on Xbox or the little we know about the Cards on PS5 will be a huge benefit for digital owners I wonder how many here will shift their preference regarding this matter. Personally I have been mostly digital for this current gen for the exception of Switch games (resell value is to high to ignore) so this quality of life features presented by next-gen consoles excite me.

I do understand that for many this features may not be enough to drop game preservation through physical media but I do think this is just the start of how digital media will benefit as time goes on.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Everything is installed to the internal storage these days.
The only thing that may slow down some things are the license check with the disk drive.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Your physical media is only an installation of data and a license key. Everything on the disc gets installed into the hard drive anyway.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Well on Xbox at least, quick resume is supported for disc games as well as digital, so that should have not really be a factor. It would of course not be quite as quick to resume (pun intended) if you are swapping discs, but from what we've seen the game itself will support it and boot back up to the previous session.

You would still need to swap discs though.
Yes, that is true. After all the controversy of Microsoft's "alwasy online" plans that they ditched from the last gen launch (and I don't discount some of the concerns), that system would really help me know with how my family uses the consoles.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
I think OP is implying quick resume loses its value with physical media because you still need to swap out discs.

Either way, I only play one game at a time so the quick resume feature will be mostly useless to me. I will stick with physical games.

Heidern

Oct 30, 2017
Connecticut
There is no clarity for me as far as physical plus quick resume with Series X|S. I don't see how they would just stop doing the license check since a person could install the game and then leave it in their quick resume list while the disc is loaned to someone else.

OP
OP
Mecha

Mecha

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
Have any outlet tried Quick Resume on XSX with discs? It seems it should be affected by license checks.

RobotVM

Oct 27, 2017
Quick resume seems like the perfect feature for gamepass games. Less so for someone that is primarily physical media.

Oct 25, 2017
It seems very clear that rather than forcing an all-digital future, both platforms are incentivizing it very strongly with OS features. I think that's the right approach. I still plan to buy physical most of the time because of insane game prices in Canada, and because I generally play one thing at a time, but that could change if the features are compelling enough.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
I think OP is implying quick resume loses its value with physical media because you still need to swap out discs.

Either way, I only play one game at a time so the quick resume feature will be mostly useless to me. I will stick with physical games.
Physical users will have to get up, run very fast, and swap discs quickly to emulate that SSD fast access speeds of digital games. lol

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Can you swap between two different games on a disc without needing to swap the discs over?

The disc basically acts like a "key". But your spot spot/game state would be "saved" just like a digital game.

You would still need to swap discs though.

Um... sure? It's no different than today. If you want to switch a game, you need to get up, take one disc out, put the other in. Digital games you just home screen -> pick a game.

Next-gen disc swapping would take the same amount of time it does today.

VodkaFX

May 31, 2018
Will be sticking to physical media for the most part. For games that are MP oriented or good for short bursts of game time (e.g. Fighting games), get digital.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
It will most likely not work with multi physical media since you need the disk to confirm that you own the game. Maybe ms and devs will come out with a license check after so many hours or as long as the game is in the suspend mode you dont need the disk in but if you want to play it you need to put the disk in

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Warned: Thread whining
this is one of the worst concern trolling thread i have seen.

sooooo,

quick resume is less enticing, because YOU HAVE TO CHANGE DISCS????

REALLY?

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It won't impact mine.

I buy physical AAA single player games, and I don't switch between those types often at all. I prefer to focus on one of those at a time.

Now, I'd jump from one of them to a digital indie/multiplayer title of some sort, no problem.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I tend to stick to just one or two games myself so it doesn't really impact me. I guess if you are one of those people buying like 7 games at launch, it would, though, I don't know. A lot of people who are going physical are doing so out of necessity due to poor or no internet or out of preference to sell/trade in. I doubt quick resume will have much impact on that

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
physical users need to harness the power of the speed force to fully experience quick resume via physical discs

Mar 8, 2018
I mean, this is part of why I'm going 100% digital this gen (even with the XSX and eventually the PS5). Quick resume features will work with discs, but ultimately the disc just adds friction to the whole experience. I'm willing to sacrifice some amount of ownership rights for heightened convenience. My frustration with physical is affecting me in other ways too. I haven't downloaded the Steve Smash update because I just can't be bothered to swap out cartridges. It sounds ridiculous, but every layer of friction definitely adds up over time.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
It's one of the main advantages of going digital imo is not having to swap disks, especially for VR games.

Trying to swap disks with a headset on is comical.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It does further incentivise Digital purchases, but I'll still be sticking with physical predominantly in order to retain resale, borrowing, lending, trading, lower prices etc.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Just wanted to make a quick thread about how the new features that are forthcoming with both next-gen consoles and their SSDs could have an impact in your purchase decision between digital and physical media.

Seeing how features like quick resume on Xbox or the little we know about the Cards on PS5 will be a huge benefit for digital owners I wonder how many here will shift their preference regarding this matter. Personally I have been mostly digital for this current gen for the exception of Switch games (resell value is to high to ignore) so this quality of life features presented by next-gen consoles excite me.

I do understand that for many this features may not be enough to drop game preservation through physical media but I do think this is just the start of how digital media will benefit as time goes on.

Once a game is installed (on Xbox One or PS4) physical media just acts as key check. Suspend / resume works in exactly the same way.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
from my Ars piece on back-compat:

In the first, I imagined a family's entertainment center covered in disc cases while excited kids swap from game to game. This is the "offline" family that will likely favor discs for the foreseeable future. Can they expect to enjoy Quick Resume perks? The simple answer is yes. Xbox Velocity Architecture treats Quick Resume the same with discs, since they simply act as license checks before loading from a hard drive. Eject one game, insert the next one, wait for disc recognition (about 9 seconds), then watch the Quick Resume process whisk them into gameplay.

As of press time, ejecting a disc gives you a scary "please reinsert your disc" notice, which I ignored while giddily swapping from disc to disc. I hope Microsoft updates this prompt with Quick Resume in mind, perhaps with a notice that says: "We've hibernated your disc-based game in case you'd like to come back to it later."

arstechnica.com

Xbox Series X hands-on: The big back-compat dive begins [Updated]

Xbox Quick Resume impresses. Plus: New controller, auto-HDR, venting holes, and more.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
It does further incentivise Digital purchases, but I'll still be sticking with physical predominantly in order to retain resale, borrowing, lending, trading, lower prices etc.
Yup.

while quick resume is geared towards those who buy digital games, you can still benefit from it if you are a physical disc person. It still resumes you right back where you quit at after you insert the disc.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Once a game is installed (on Xbox One or PS4) physical media just acts as key check. Suspend / resume works in exactly the same way.

But the disk needs to be in the console for it to register the key, so having to swap disks still makes quick resume less quick or convenient.

OP
OP
Mecha

Mecha

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
At no point I say it won't work with physical media, just how much it benefits digital owners. This is not about which format is better, in the end we all have different priorities.

Zarshack

May 15, 2018
Australia
No, how would that even work?
That was the obvious point of the thread. Technically it could work but there would need to be some other license check implemented beyond just the physical presence of the disc, like if say each disc had a unique identifier attached to it and it could only be activated on a single console at a time etc.

Samanyolu

Apr 27, 2019
I think some are missing the point entirely. OP is just wondering if the new features, which clearly work best with digital copies, will affect your purchase between physical or digital copies. It's great that you can still swap disks, but it takes a lot longer than just using quick resume (like the 9 second license read time). Mecha correct me if I'm wrong.

I've been slowly shifting towards digital myself, but the game prices in the digital storefronts often stop me from 100% committing to digital. So I will likely get a physical console and mix it up with physical and digital content.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
At no point I say it won't work with physical media, just how much it benefits digital owners. This is not about which format is better, in the end we all have different priorities.
Correct, and this is why I buy mostly digital now so that my kids don't need to be swapping the discs between their consoles.

There was a solution for this though...

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
Still not enough to ditch physical media, I like actually owning my games.

Your physical media is only an installation of data and a license key. Everything on the disc gets installed into the hard drive anyway.
My license can't get revoked and the game can't become inaccessible due to PS store being shut down on the console or me becoming banned.

OP
OP
Mecha

Mecha

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
I think some are missing the point entirely. OP is just wondering if the new features, which clearly work best with digital copies, will affect your purchase between physical or digital copies. It's great that you can still swap disks, but it takes a lot longer than just using quick resume (like the 9 second license read time). Mecha correct me if I'm wrong.

I've been slowly shifting towards digital myself, but the game prices in the digital storefronts often stop me from 100% committing to digital. So I will likely get a physical console and mix it up with physical and digital content.
You are right.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Still not enough to ditch physical media, I like actually owning my games.

My license can't get revoked and the game can't become inaccessible due to PS store being shut down on the console or me becoming banned.
That definitely depends on how much of that game is on the disc.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Yes, so unless you are a game collector or trade your games in I see no reason not to just go all digital now. I've been doing it for years now on PC and it's great.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
The main appeal of this for me is that you can suspend at one point and continue later without completely restarting the game or loading a save. The fact that you swap in 5 seconds or whatever is not important for me. I won't be bothered by changing the disc. I am juggling 2 games max anyway so whatever.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Well there you go. The benefit of digital-only is incredibly slim in this case, literally just swapping discs.

What a silly thread.

Disagree. I posted it to give exact time counts for what happens when you swap discs on XSX, and the on-screen notice weirdness. Going all digital means less of that, but also fewer options for backup media, etc. Different strokes, different folks.

dynamitejim

Oct 25, 2017
Quick Resume seems like a gimmick anyway. How many people really juggle between 4+ games at the same time? Load times from cold boot are super fast as well with SSDs. And loading a game you haven't played in a while is always disorienting, I can't see why it would be any different with quick resume.

Mar 8, 2018
Quick Resume seems like a gimmick anyway. How many people really juggle between 4+ games at the same time? Load times from cold boot are super fast as well with SSDs. And loading a game you haven't played in a while is always disorienting, I can't see why it would be any different with quick resume.
It's not about swapping between 4 games at once. It's about playing a single-player game, getting a multiplayer invite, jumping out to multiplayer without saving, and then jumping back to your single player game exactly where you left off. It's about having minimal loads to your exact state in your whole rotation of games that you play over the course of months. It's about how multiple users can play different games and suspend them without having to restart.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
I'll happily keep Forza Horizon 4 and Geometry Wars ready to go in the background as a palette cleanser while I'm going through a 50+ hour RPG.

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
This is the best way to shift people to digital which is to promote its benefits, the main one being you dont need the disc.