• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Midgar was an unsalvageable city. Its very design was anti-environment and pro-inequality. It's clear to me that humanity does not go extinct-- or if it does, it is not because of Mako depletion-- and instead that they have relocated into something more sustainable and more hopeful for the future.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I played it for the first time very recently and for me it was pretty clearly meant to be that Midgar didn't exist anymore, the environment winning against corporate greed. Didn't think "humanity died" was a popular interpretation until now, lol, that's fascinating.
Bugenhagen says earlier with holy the planet will decide if mankind will survive, but holy doesn't go that way. I think Aerith has the final say there. I think it's often seen as an ambiguous ending but I think the answer that humanity survived is right there for you to figure out.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar was an unsalvageable city. Its very design was anti-environment and pro-inequality. It's clear to me that humanity does not go extinct-- or if it does, it is not because of Mako depletion-- and instead that they have relocated into something more sustainable and more hopeful for the future.

Pretty much. I don't know why people expected humanity to stick around in Midgar especially after Shinra was completely destroyed. What would be the point?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
And if the planet decided to repay humanity for saving it from an intergalactic menace by deliberately killing them all, then it didn't deserve to be saved.
Humanity is the reason the planet got that way in the first place. It's not a black and white situation. From our human point of view, aka the characters, they spend quite some time wondering if humanity will be one of the things that Holy decides is harming the planet.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Humanity is the reason the planet got that way in the first place. It's not a black and white situation. From our human point of view, aka the characters, they spend quite some time wondering if humanity will be one of the things that Holy decides is harming the planet.

Right, but Aeris gets involved specifically to prevent Holy from killing everyone. So what was the point of Aeris taking control of the Lifestream if five minutes later the planet just kills everyone anyway?

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Ambiguity.

I've always seen the ending as open ended, even in my tweens (when I played the game). You see what you want to see, and that can change. I'm sure some people interpreted the ending one way, then flipped around later in life. Very satisfying, imo. I don't believe the Remake will resist overexplaining itself, what with the complex direction they've taken in Part 1.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Right, but Aeris gets involved specifically to prevent Holy from killing everyone. So what was the point of Aeris taking control of the Lifestream if five minutes later the planet just kills everyone anyway?
Who said she tried to prevent Holy from killing everyone? She doesn't control Holy. She controls the lifestream so that Holy can do it's thing regardless of her wants and desires. And the ambiguity of the situation is the point, the lack of a definitive answer.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair even though Hojo helped her have a son, Jenova is the not human, the one who triggered the events of why meteor comes. That current crisis isn't exactly one caused by humans.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Who said she tried to prevent Holy from killing everyone? She doesn't control Holy. She controls the lifestream so that Holy can do it's thing regardless of her wants and desires.

She controls the lifestream because Holy and Meteor were both going out of control. The Lifestream is what destroys Meteor because Holy didn't do its job.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
this. not complicated. & they go with red simply because he's awesome, & he's still around...

Ambiguity.

I've always seen the ending as open ended, even in my tweens (when I played the game). You see what you want to see, and that can change. I'm sure some people interpreted the ending one way, then flipped around later in life. Very satisfying, imo. I don't believe the Remake will resist overexplaining itself, what with the complex direction they've taken in Part 1.

tho, yeah, with room for this, too...

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I always viewed it as the Lifestream taking the planet back away from the industrial clutches of humanity and companies like Shinra. I think that humanity lives on, but that it's in a world were everything is overgrown by nature and technology has taken a backseat. There's a complete tone shift as people go from having energy provided by the Mako-sucking reactors of Shinra to learning how to live in a more community- and nature-based society.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Who said she tried to prevent Holy from killing everyone? She doesn't control Holy. She controls the lifestream so that Holy can do it's thing regardless of her wants and desires. And the ambiguity of the situation is the point, the lack of a definitive answer.
It's fair to say Aerith is in control by the end, holy wasn't working. It wouldn't be as personal and empowering otherwise when we see her face repeated from the intro.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The children laughing goes against the idea of humanity being gone for me.

They added that sound for a purpose and it's a very specific sound related to life.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
What ghosts? They didn't exist in the original FF7.
tbh that was a joke I accidentally hit post before finishing.

But I left it since I felt it still made my point that the planet's methods are overkill. And there's no reason to think it couldn't use the Weapons to send that message without going into kill em' all mode.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Shinra was a thing regardless of Jenova though.
I would find the ending feels misguided if the planet decided to fuck over humanity for different mistakes because of something Jenova began. The cetra in the promised land, or the lifesteam, once turned on each other too because of Jenova's virus, it would be hypocritical of them to punish humanity for the current events. If that's simply what happened, it would take away from their enigmaticness and make the lifestream look petty and vindictive.

Jaymageck

Nov 18, 2017
Toronto
Humanity is extinct...

But the planet survived.

The journey was not pointless, because life goes on. That's what I got from the ending. We saved the planet's life.

It was always about the planet.

the point of the remake ending IMO is that we could do better. If we grind against fate, we can save the planet and ourselves

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I would find the ending feels misguided if the planet decided to fuck over humanity for different mistakes because of something Jenova began. The cetra in the promised land, or the lifesteam, once turned on each other too because of Jenova's virus, it would be hypocritical of them to punish humanity for the current events. If that's simply what happened, it would take away from their enigmaticness and make the lifestream look petty and vindictive.

Also, important to note: the Lifestream is made of humans too. It's the collective life force of every living thing, including humanity.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
To me it was that humanity ended and the earth and creatures thrived. It was a pretty bold ending at the time for an FF game, imo, but of course can be interpreted in different ways. Curious to see how they will handle this in the Remake.

It's not that "humanity was a cancer" or that Holy wiped it out on purpose, but the tragedy of Meteor already was summoned, and the clash of Holy and the Meteor, to protect the planet, ended up wiping out humanity, but the result was to save the planet. That was my feel, and it's definitely a mixed-feeling ending (in my headcannon), but it's still positive in that the planet and it's flora/fauna was saved, and this to me goes with the themes of protecting the planet from the evils of the current human civilization and Jenova.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Humanity is extinct...

But the planet survived.

The journey was not pointless, because life goes on. That's what I got from the ending. We saved the planet's life.

It was always about the planet.

If humanity killed themselves, that's one thing. But they were nowhere close to that point at the end of VII, so we would have to assume the planet killed them deliberately.

The planet wasn't worth saving if it's going to turn around after being saved and deliberately commit genocide on the people who saved it. That makes it evil too.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Also, important to note: the Lifestream is made of humans too. It's the collective life force of every living thing, including humanity.
I know, I thought the cetra may had a larger voice, because of how they record through pools in the temple of the ancients and how Aerith is depicted as influencing it because she's a cetra.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
would y gen petty and vindictive towards the people literally sucking the life out of you? It's not just about Shinra. The average person was apathetic. Every light, machine, phone call, etc. was at the expense planet.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
would y gen petty and vindictive towards the people literally sucking the life out of you? It's not just about Shinra. The average person was apathetic.
VII is overall a more hopeful game than that, and if they're going to destroy humanity, they don't need to use Jenova, Sephiroth and meteor as a petty excuse when they're not even human. (Sephiroth was, but Cloud killed that one when he took a hit from the masamune)

The lifestream being petty wouldn't fit the overall wonderful tone.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
When I was 13 years old and first saw it, I thought it meant that humanity had ended and nature was doing great without them.

All that remained was the skeleton of the giant flying pizza.

I thought it was a somber ending right after seeing Holy-Lifestream protect the planet from Meteor, but I was ok with it.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
I took it as "mankind has moved from mako exploitation and gaia is healing itself". But since we don't get to see humans, fuck knows what they are up to.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
It's really an uplifting ending where they basically show that the good guys won and Red is still around, reminding his children the struggle he and his friends had to go through for nature to reclaim its place. Midgar is gone, and it's now vibing with life. Humans are around, living in smaller towns (as we actually see during the game, after all. Most of the world lived in a more eco-friendly way than Midgar).

Dec 7, 2018
Didn't Aerith pray for the planet to spare the humans when it would use Holy to fight Meteor?Pretty sure the game shows that the holy materia turned to a colour indicating that the planet would indeed spare humanity.

I might be misremembering something though, because there are a lot of people convinced that humanity got extinct after the end of the game...

Nov 1, 2017
Sorry I think that's incorrect, it may look ambiguous or grim but overall the ending is meant to make you work out humanity will be ok. Hence the children laughing, beaty choices of music in the credits.

Cloud escapes Sephiroth's control (a villian so inhuman he never speaks in the final boss) and Cloud uses omnislash on him, overall the tone is humanity can perist and the one who is guiding the life stream is as human as can be. People see how dark the world is but VII is actually full of hope.

I never saw it as a grim ending, even though FF7R points to it as such with "It's what will happen if we lose." Humanity dies but would still exist in the Lifestream, and the planet goes on.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
VII is overall a more hopeful game than that, and if they're going to destroy humanity, they don't need to use Jenova, Sephiroth and meteor as a petty excuse when they're not even human. (Sephiroth was, but Cloud killed that one when he took a hit from the masamune)

The lifestream being petty wouldn't fit the overall wonderful tone.
I honestly think applying human morality to the lifestream and the spell itself is muddying the waters. Meteor for example, doesn't have a will, it's a spell that has no purpose other than to destroy. Holy is the opposite. It has no purpose other than to protect from any threats. Now what happens when that protection finds out about the people apathetically sucking the life out of the planet? It doesn't decide, "humanity is bad." It only serves one function "protect the planet from any and all threats." That's the question FFVII raises. Would a spell like Holy deem humanity to be a threat even if we as people know that not all people are bad? And the idea of humanity dying isn't in an of itself a dreadful dark ending, because we know for a fact everyone would be in the lifestream. FFVII canonically has an afterlife. Everyone would go there if holy destroyed humanity. That is in and of itself hopeful and comforting in a game that is all about coping with the idea of processing death.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I mean if we're trying to explain the ending of the original game based on information that was present in a movie that was released almost a decade later, then I think that falls under the category of retcon more than anything else

Not really. The ending is intentionally ambiguous, but Square couldn't continue the story from an ambiguous ending (and they can't also continue the story with an ending where mankind is wiped by Holy), so they went for "mankind survived Holy". Think of it like a game with multiple endings, that then gets a sequel making one of the endings canon: it's not a retcon, just a collapsing of multiple possible timelines.

Note that AC does not preclude mankind going extinct eventually, so that interpretation of the original ending is still potentially valid. We only know that Holy didn't wipe mankind the very day Meteor was deflected (probably due to Aerith's intervention); that's all we can be sure of.

Sesha

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I don't ever remember hearing the children's laughter until way later, so for the longest time I assumed that humanity eventually died but nature prospered. I never thought Holy + Lifestream killed humanity, though.

Personally I don't think the idea of humanity eventually perishing is very depressing. Slightly sad, maybe, but I always felt that gave more poignancy to VII's themes and the ending.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
The planet killed all humans in the events following the climax and took it all back to nature.

..and then FF7ac and Dirge were released and that theory got thrown in the trash.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
FF7 remake spoiler?
When the team gets visions of the world if they "fail", reds vision is this ending showing him run with the pups, isn't it? So maybe that implies they did fail

Plot twist:
Mankind was wiped out by Holy in the original ending. Advent Children is actually a sequel to the remake, where defying fate means averting just that. :)

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly think applying human morality to the lifestream and the spell itself is muddying the waters. Meteor for example, doesn't have a will, it's a spell that has no purpose other than to destroy. Holy is the opposite. It has no purpose other than to protect from any threats. Now what happens when that protection finds out about the people apathetically sucking the life out of the planet? It doesn't decide, "humanity is bad." It only serves one function "protect the planet from any and all threats." That's the question FFVII raises. Would a spell like Holy deem humanity to be a threat even if we as people know that not all people are bad? And the idea of humanity dying isn't in an of itself a dreadful dark ending, because we know for a fact everyone would be in the lifestream. FFVII canonically has an afterlife. Everyone would go there if holy destroyed humanity. That is in and of itself hopeful and comforting in a game that is all about coping with the idea of processing death.
Why would it let Red live if Holy determined Humanity is a threat, and he was working to save them?

GarudaSmiles

Dec 14, 2018
The planet killed all humans in the events following the climax and took it all back to nature.

..and then FF7ac and Dirge were released and that theory got thrown in the trash.
I never played Dirge, but in Advent Children people are getting sick from geostigma. It could be the start of the culling of humanity. I don't remember the details well so maybe not.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I never played Dirge, but in Advent Children people are getting sick from geostigma. It could be the start of the culling of humanity. I don't remember the details well so maybe not.

Geostigma was a disease caused by repeated exposure to Jenova-tainted lifestream particles. Portions of the Lifestream got fucked up by Sephiroth's presence and living beings that got too close to fonts of that corrupted Lifestream developed the stigma. It did not just work on humans - animals could get it too and it fucked them up really badly.

GarudaSmiles

Dec 14, 2018
Geostigma was a disease caused by repeated exposure to Jenova-tainted lifestream particles. Portions of the Lifestream got fucked up by Sephiroth's presence and living beings that got too close to fonts of that corrupted Lifestream developed the stigma. It did not just work on humans - animals could get it too and it fucked them up really badly.
Thanks for the explanation. So was Geostigma destroyed when Cloud defeated Sephiroth at the end, or is it still making people sick?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the explanation. So was Geostigma destroyed when Cloud defeated Sephiroth at the end, or is it still making people sick?

It was still making people sick at the beginning of Dirge, because Jenova's influence was never fully purged from the Lifestream. Great Gospel could cure people infected with it if they made contact with Aeris' pure water, but it was not a worldwide fix. People needed to come to the church to get cured.

GarudaSmiles

Dec 14, 2018
Thanks! It's been so long since I've seen Advent Children, and I never knew what happened in Dirge.

Gotta say I don't like the idea of everyone having to go to the magic healing spa to get cured lol.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Animals weren't sucking the life out of the planet.
Red is no more an animal than humanity is, and he was directly working against the planet's interests at the end of the game by trying to save them. Holy being something that isn't selective, but also making an exception for Red doesn't play together.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! It's been so long since I've seen Advent Children, and I never knew what happened in Dirge.

Gotta say I don't like the idea of everyone having to go to the magic healing spa to get cured lol.

Agreed - it's not a very good look since it basically gives Aeris an almost explicitly Christian framing since people have to make a pilgrimage to a church to be healed by a goddess.

It would've been better if Great Gospel worked on the whole world and that was the end of it, but what are you gonna do?

GarudaSmiles

Dec 14, 2018
Red is no more an animal than humanity is, and he was directly working against the planet's interests at the end of the game by trying to save them. Holy being something that isn't selective, but also making an exception for Red doesn't play together.
Well to be fair I think he'd have a hard time building a Mako reactor without opposable thumbs.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
My take was that the writers had clearly gone way out of their way to make it ambiguous. There is literally no way to know whether humans still existed or not, and I embraced that ambiguity.

That said... humans are clearly absent in the epilogue, and there is almost nothing to hint that humans still exist. So if one does insist on jumping to conclusions, I think it's much easier to conclude that the Planet decided to wipe 'em out.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone died, the children laughing are Red's children laughing at what is now Midgar.

Real answer for me is it's ambiguous, and I originally went with "everyone died" when I played it way back when.

GarudaSmiles

Dec 14, 2018
I agree that it was kept intentionally ambiguous in order to spark discussion, and I actually like that. That's one of the many reasons the compilation for the most part sucks.