• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CG or Gameplay?

• Give me Real Gameplay or Nothing at all

Votes: 66 70.2%
  • Im ok with CG Only trailers

Votes: 15 16.0%
  • Im ok with CG trailers that Emulate Gameplay

Votes: 10 10.6%
  • im fine with just a logo if a care about the game

Votes: 15 16.0%
  • Im ok with "In Game" trailers even if they are not the real Gameplay

Votes: 31 33.0%

• Total voters

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
So, E3 season in a year where we won't have an E3. new consoles are coming up, and we have a few games to release trailers and new annoucements coming up!

It's 2020, it's a brand new gen coming up... so what is your feeling about game trailers that are just "Mood" trailers, or CG trailers and that do not show Gameplay at all, versus trailers that are nothing but the game being played...

Where you go from here? what are you ok with?

You can pick more then one options in the Poll!

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i like gameplay trailers the most, but in-game or in-engine trailers are fine too. most CG trailers seem pointless to me, but they're obviously effective at hyping people up.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Okay with all of the above. Get that hype as you're able, devs!

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with a first reveal being CG only, just be up front with it. Although it matters how soon in 2020 it's coming out. I'll be a bit more lenient on holiday titles for now, but games coming out earlier than that really should have gameplay at this point

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
I'm fine with whatever, but don't have whats basically a CGI trailer and say it's game play. looking at you Ubisoft.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Sony first party video 8-10 minutes video.
They combined mood CGI and gameplay. That's exactly what I want.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
If it's the first reveal, I'm fine with CG or even a logo.

If the game is being released in 2 months, c'mon.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
CG trailers are useless aside from letting me know a game exists. It's a trailer for a game, which is a thing you play. I want to see gameplay.

A CG trailer could show all sorts of amazing things happening that make the game sound incredible. Yet it could be some gacha idle game for all we know.

Oct 29, 2017
Don't care if it's not gameplay. What I'm looking for in a trailer is a sense of what it's like to play the game. If I don't get that, there's no point. It's a trailer for a game after all, not a CG film.

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
It depends on several factors for me. If it's a developer I'm familiar with working on a franchise I love, a simple logo or CG trailer is enough to get the hype going.

In most other cases, I'm going to need gameplay to get excited. At last year's E3, No More Heroes 3 and Baldur's Gate 3 had me very hyped with just CG because I feel I know exactly what to expect with them. Deathloop and Ghostwire: Tokyo did absolutely nothing for me because I just don't know what to expect with a new IP and only CG even with the developers' pedigree.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Trailers without gameplay only if they are sequel to franchises that changes nothing on gameplay with each entry

like "Mario Galaxy 3" can not show gameplay but a completely new "Mario: Black Lives Matter" would need gameplay