• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
True, reducing the gameplay to "lock on and fire" is very reductive, but that's what this genre always seemed and looked like watching footage. And it doesn't help that my only experience with the genre was the HAWX demo. The descriptions here about the feelings that the game evokes and the cool features in this new one sound amazing, and exactly like something I would love.

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
The gameplay is nice, but...

It's the chatter between squadmates during a dogfight and takedown, the awe others express upon crazy feat numero dos, the story beats following a crushing defeat, the melodrama, the soaring music, oh the MUSIC.

All of this forges a strong sense of meaning to the flares and flash. But yes, at its best, Ace Combat has very solid arcade-flight gameplay too. Navigating the air to take down grounded anti-air and trying to eliminate enemy squadrons and targets (of which there may be many) is not all that complicated, but fun to play with and challenging when the difficulty gets ramped up accordingly.

It's also a trip for aircraft-heads.

Last edited:

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Since 7 seems to be a continuation of 4 and 5's storyline and is essentially a prequel to 3, newcomers to the series might not get all the references to characters or past events in the story. If you've got a PS4, I highly recommend preordering the game during these least few days to get access to a Ace Combat 5 to help yourself get caught up to speed. It's my favorite game in the series (and possibly my favorite game ever made), and I guarantee anyone who's a fan of flight action games, Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, Macross, Area 88, Top Gun, etc. will absolutely love what the game and the rest of the series have to offer.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
On the topic of gameplay fatigue, it's a definite concern for the devs. They try to manage it in lots of ways, but mostly through mission design. Weather and visibility is a new aspect they're really emphasising in AC7 to address that side of things though.

In Ace Combat: Shattered Skies they tried to introduce a completely new dogfighting mechanic (almost like a mini-game) to add a new wrinkle to the gameplay loop. I didn't think it was that bad (interesting concept, just not the greatest implementation), but most series stalwarts absolutely despised it. So for better or worse, I think we'll be seeing the same old gameplay loop for a little while yet.

Here's another question: do we know if 7's cockpit view has full body awareness? (ie, you'll see your pilot's body while looking around, see hands on the controls, etc)
Yes, if you look down you can even see your legs animate when using the rudder pedals.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
The gameplay is nice, but...

It's the chatter between squadmates during a dogfight and takedown, the awe others express upon crazy feat numero dos, the story beats following a crushing defeat, the melodrama, the soaring music, oh the MUSIC.

All of this forges a strong sense of meaning to the flares and flash. But yes, at its best, Ace Combat has very solid arcade-flight gameplay too. Navigating the air to take down grounded anti-air and trying to eliminate enemy squadrons and targets (of which there may be many) is not all that complicated, but fun to play with and challenging when the difficulty gets ramped up accordingly.

It's also a trip for aircraft-heads.

See, this is what really intrigues me. I love a game that contextualizes its gameplay and mechanics well

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Yeah, but I mean, you're talking someone who never played a flight game in his life. To someone who doesn't play these, the gameplay basically looks like really pretty repetition of "lock on to target and fire". That's what I'm asking, not if there are different objectives but how does the gameplay remain challenging and not get repetitive? Are there more elements and depth to the combat?

Well, I've never played a flight game in my life before back when I started with this series in Ace Combat 4, and I've been a huge fan ever since.

The gameplay from 4 was pretty repetitive, yeap, but from 5 they're changing things up, with various gimmicks such as needing to climb up to a certain altitude in order to escape certain destruction, recon mission where you avoided radars by flying low, dogfighting in a maze-like canyon with restriction of not being able to fly above it lest you be destroyed, rescue mission by looking for radar pings, and lets not forget the classic enter a tight tunnel space with your plane to destroy stuff, a classic of all Ace Combat games. It has a good variety, and with Zero you were thrown into many exciting dogfights with elite enemy squadrons and the fights were really intense as the AI was really good at using maneuvers to avoid your locking on to them while their other friends locking on to you with their missiles, so it's becoming a delicate dance of locking on vs avoid to be locked on or avoid missiles shot at you, so you need to be precise in your gameplay, especially in harder difficulties.

Just an example.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
See, this is what really intrigues me. I love a game that contextualizes its gameplay and mechanics well

Oh yes, Ace Combat REALLY good at making you feel like what you're doing is not just shooting bad guys on the screen. You feel like you actually have a purpose in doing so, the games are very good at giving you a good backstory of why your PC is up there and contextualizing how the world reacts to your accomplishments and such. It's beautiful.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
The world of strangreal is pretty awesome as well, with all its fictional countries that are based on real ones.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
To add what others have said, for me a lot of the fun comes in trying to S rank missions. Sometimes it can be more tricky than it appears. They also add special 'aces' that can be found on subsequent playthroughs that unlock planes and/or skins when you shoot them down.

I have fond memories of struggling to get an S rank in Ace Combat 4 missions. Only to eventually S rank a mission. Only to then destroy every fucking target on some of the missions. Great fun, and has an awesome sense of progression depending on the plane that you choose.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Saying Ace Combat ia about "getting behind an enemy, locking on and firing" is like saying FIFA is about kicking a ball into a net, GT/Forza/PCars2 is about overtaking opponents without going off-track or COD/BF/Overwatch/whatever is about shooting at the enemy until it dies.

Dodging missiles, following an enemy through treacherous terrain, anticipating your enemy's evasive maneuvers or even resorting to non-tracking ammo like your machineguns makes the process much more involved than it seems. Especially when it's a vehicle you're handling. You don't simply push the stick in the direction you want to go.

That's just about the gameplay itself. The visual style, music and amazing JRPG-style soap opera setting/storytelling all add to the excitement.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That last mission is the reason why AC4 is my favorite. Made you feel freaking awesome.
Cannot wait to see what kind of cannon we have to fly through, at breakneck speed , in this one.

I sometimes wish the series would pull Mobius 1 out of retirement, but as an enemy ace that you have to take on (the goal wouldn't be to take him down, that's impossible, but rather just survive for x amount of time before he's forced to withdraw). Doesn't have to be focus of the plot, just one mission where your comms are like, "Incoming ace... you know what to do" 5 second pause "wait a second, that's Mobius 1!"

Then a lot of oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck runnnnnnnnnnnn as you hear your faction getting dropped left and right.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
Dude ace combat is just pure insane top gun adrenaline. Absurd and wild and fuuuuuun as balls. So many good answers in here...

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Oh man I've been waiting for this for such a long time. I used to replay all the missions from ace combat 6 back in the x360 days. Was so disappointed that AC7 didn't happen a long time ago, at least it's here now!!! So hyped lmao

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
I remember in the older games that there were fighter squadron that were epic. Had their own formations and they would be fun to take down. The other cool things is that you could have unique targets. Meaning anime style massive aircrafts, to mega structures. The games are definitely sci fi in that regard. It's actually closer to final fantasy to their depiction of our world. Just with aircrafts.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Damn, I feel bad that I don't remember any of the storys of ace combat. I played them years ago on track ps2/ps1. There was only 1 last gen that was worthwhile.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say its part Top Gun, part Metal Gear and a dash of Star Wars space battles

It takes advantage of the sci-fi with super weapons and advanced endgame aircraft like
latest

Here's another question: do we know if 7's cockpit view has full body awareness? (ie, you'll see your pilot's body while looking around, see hands on the controls, etc)
I don't know about hands but you can definitely see your legs.

Last edited:

Interficium

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The Ace franchise scratches the same "Magical Military Realism" itch as Metal Gear in terms of tone and world-building, if you're into that.

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been pretty intrigued by the trailers for the new Ace Combat game. It's not a genre I've ever gotten into or cared for, but I'm always up for trying new genres and series that might not seem to suit my tastes. Last time that happened, I became a big Yakuza fan

So someone who never played the series before, or any flight combat game really, had some questions:

1) This is a sci-fi series? Do the games do anything interesting with that, like unique planes and high tech weapons or futuristic settings and so on?

2) So...how exactly do these games add challenge and not get repetitive after one fight? Last flight game I tried was the HAWX demo a decade ago, and it seems the gameplay loop of these games is "get behind enemy, lock on, fire, use flares to break missile lock". Obviously that's my completely uninformed perspective of this genre, so I'm curious where the depth comes from, how they keep the combat interesting and varied, and so on

3) From the comments I've read here, this series is known for having good stories? Is this new one stand-alone, or would I be completely lost playing this as my first one?

4) Will this only have flight combat? Or will be take-offs and landing/docking, mid-air refueling, and other mechanics/systems? Is it 100% skill-based or are there RPG mechanics like unlocks and loadouts? Does the narrative aspect have choices or is it just cutscenes and dialogue?

1) Absolutely. The Peak Sci-Fi of the series is with the 3rd entry, Electrosphere, which was balls to the walls wild. The game will usually have fictional 'experimental' planes(For example AC7 seems to feature an 'Arsenal Bird', which is a massive plane that has hundreds of drones in dock). Sometimes you get to play around with these experimental planes(Electrosphere again, allowed you to use some weird ass planes.)

2) It really depends. Sometimes you'll fly against dummies that let you lock on from behind, other times you'll have to fly against expert pilots who really test your skill and are nerve wracking to go against. Other times, such as in AC4, you have limitations in what you can do-There were a few levels in that one where the big mega weapon 'Stonehenge' would fire a massive blast that would cover the sky, and in a mountainous region you were forced to fly low altitude. The missions also vary-Sometimes you have to destroy anti air emplacements, aim for specific targets, protect your allies, and all of these might require a specific type of plane or armament.

3) So the series follows the world of 'Strangereal'. It's like ours, but a little bit off. There are repeating continents and loose connections between each game, where it's a political one, or a mention of a pilot, or themes that are reused, not in a bad way, but in an interesting way. In AC7 for example, Osea and Erusea are two countries that have been featured before in the series. Outside of that, you don't have to have played previous games to understand this one, but it does enrich the lore and for someone like me, it's a good nostalgia.

4) There will be all of that. Take offs/landings/docking/refueling/load outs. The narrative aspect might just be a story told in cutscenes/in game dialogue(The last game that had a real 'choose your own story' was Electrosphere, where you can get different endings). There might also be side-missions/hidden missions by doing secret objectives not listed, or doing things fast enough or at a certain time.

It's a blast, though. If you're worried about the story parts, there are compilations of the story beats on youtube(Ace Combat 4 is about 30ish minutes, collects all the cutscenes) that you can watch.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Game started downloading this morning, was really nice to read all the positive thoughts of people in this thread, also I promised I don't work for Bamco lol!

Kompis

Oct 27, 2017
Will the reviews not be out until the game is released? I want to preorder but at the same time I want to see some reviews first.

Any OT in the making?

Oct 25, 2017
The one thing you do have to know about ace combat is that while it's definitely wayyyyyyyyy more on the Arcade side of the spectrum rather than the Simulation side it doesn't control like star fox.

They might have the option to change the controls but the traditional controls (which I would heavily recommend) don't really have a "turn" instead left and right on the analog stick roll your plane and up and down pitch your plane. Which means if you want to turn left, you have to roll to the left and then pull back on the stick.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
It's a really great series

I always thought from afar that Ace Combat was a cookie cutter flight sim game that isn't worth muchh

I played Ace COmbat Zero a few years ago just because I was bored and wanted to try one game for the hell of it; I came out and finished this game with fucking tears and snot down my face like I played one of the greatest games in my life, which it was !

Ace Combat is great. Imagine playing a video game about war, about shooting sutff but with a story that is profoundly human. At the end, you don't want to shoot stuff anymore, you want to save what is worth saving, you want to put an end to the misery, and you'll do it by flying through tunnels shooting superweapons with some of the most rousing tunes of the whole gaming space.

It's that good;

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
I have no idea when reviews are out, I'll have the OT up in a few hours once I'm home from work. If anyone has ideas for the OT title, let me know!
Apologies in advance for lowering the bar with this:
  • I have 8492 squadrons but Werewolf ain´t One
  • Do Aces dream of Anime Skins?
  • Angels of the Stonehenge
  • The Sky is Not Connected
  • I have so far to go
  • As I try to fly my way, to the Strangereal world
  • Boxes turn red. Skies are dark blue. I shot you down too.
  • Trigger, engage
  • Game of Drones
  • Explosive Drone Delivery
  • Battle of Gatwick: Aftermath

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Do the cockpit views in these games (or rather 7) have working instruments? Something like a cockpit radar screen option, instead of just a HUD icon? This moment from a gameplay demo had me curious

B4whMlc.gif