• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Right now I have my PS4 hooked to my TCL P65 TV via HDMI and optical out running from my TV to my logitech 5500 5.1 sound system. I noticed when I change the PS4 audio setting "primary output port" to HDMI OUT the sound is much louder and when I change it to DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL) the sound is much quieter. Based on my above configuration, which output mode should I be using?

Chamon

Feb 26, 2019
You have to choose HDMI on the PS4, but also check the configuration of your TV. In both cases you should use some multichannel option so you can enjoy your 5.1 system. Look for DTS or Dolby.

Oct 25, 2017
I might not be understanding the question entirely, but if you are preparing for a PS5, you should just get used to HDMI because PS5 has no optical out.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
You have to choose HDMI on the PS4, but also check the configuration of your TV. In both cases you should use some multichannel option so you can enjoy your 5.1 system. Look for DTS or Dolby.
this is what I see in my TVs audio section. The specs of the TV also state

3mdLzXx.png

DGFwMnK.jpg

Chamon

Feb 26, 2019
this is what I see in my TVs audio section

DGFwMnK.jpg
It should be under SPDIF and ARC. I guess that Auto Detect will work fine and if you have DTS or Dolby on your PS4 there will be no problems. Just make it sure that on your PS4 you have selected Dolby or DTS and not PCM (this last one is only stereo).

I friend of mine had DTS on the PS4 but PCM on the TV, so he was not getting surround.

Edit: according to your specs, you should choose Dolby instead of DTS, since your TV doesn't seem to support it.

Last edited:

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017
The HDMI device will send the signal out to the connecting device, which in this case is your tv. Your tv is processing the sound and sending it out to your logitech system. It all depends what your tv is capable of in terms of audio processing. Based off your screenshot, it's dolby digital plus. You selecting optical out on your PS4 means nothing because you don't have the optical cabling coming out of your console to your logitech, your TV is doing the processing still.

Sounds like your TV is taking the HDMI audio source (as long as you're not bitstraming is PCM) and converting it to your logitech. Only reason I can think of why it's quieter when you select optical out, the full bandwidth isn't being sent to your TV, probably just stereo, and your TV is converting that out to your logitech.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
It should be under SPDIF and ARC. I guess that Auto Detect will work fine and if you have DTS or Dolby on your PS4 there will be no problems. Just make it sure that on your PS4 you have selected Dolby or DTS and not PCM (this last one is only stereo).

I friend of mine had DTS on the PS4 but PCM on the TV, so he was not getting surround.

Edit: according to your specs, you should choose Dolby instead of DTS, since your TV doesn't seem to support it.
Got it! Thanks

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Can I ask a related question on surround sound for the new consoles.

Currently I run my consoles into my receiver and then into my TV. But my receiver doesn't do 4K or HDR, and neither does my TV.

I'm getting a Sony XH9005, which will have two HDMI 2.1 inputs (after firmware update). So I need to use both those inputs to plug the consoles directly. One of those ports is the eARC so I can't use that to route the sound from TV to receiver.

So the only option I can see if using the optical out from the TV to pass through bitstream dolby digital to my receiver. It seems the Sony can pass through that signal through optical.

Have I got all that right? It's maddening that manufacturers are so stingy with these bloody HDMI 2.1 ports.

dom

â–² Legend â–²
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't setting primary output to optical out on PS4 mean that HDMI is now running in stereo?