• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Sep 20, 2020
So I know there's some in the poly/swingers scene lurking around here. Done the "upside down pineapple" for a number of years and recently met a couple in which were exclusive to each other and bordering/slowly moving more into a poly situation. Anyone ever get into a complex quad? Anyone have any resources to share? Any valuable insights?

I've been over to Reddit, and some of the specific dedicated sites and blogs. But curious what some of you have to say.

Oct 27, 2017
Memphis, TN
I've been openly poly for about 15 years now and while I've never been in a quad relationship specifically laid out as such i've dated people casually and seriously in various configurations and all i can say is that whatever else advice is out there it all ultimately comes down to open and honest communication. Its obvious but honestly its true, if everyone is not talking to everyone else openly and honestly about their feelings regarding the whole situation its gonna go sideways. It can go sideways anyway for one of the many many reasons that relationships end but if everyone is open and honest from the get go and everyone is on the same page any configuration can work. Best of luck to you!

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
No advice except to say be careful. Quad relationships are tough. There are a lot of feelings to manage and it takes a lot of work to keep everyone content.
This right here.

Especially since they are new to the scene without a lot of open communication it can go south really really fast.

OP
OP
Arrogant PsycHOPathy
Sep 20, 2020
This right here.

Especially since they are new to the scene without a lot of open communication it can go south really really fast.

It's been tough thus far and being new to it there have been a couple small hiccups of miscommunication. But we're all trying to be open and honest with one another. Or I should say the wife and I certainly are on our end. And we're still in that stage of getting to know each other, trusting each other, etc which certainly adds to that difficulty. Not having actually "dated" and had to worry about the "courting process" in 10 plus years puts me at a disadvantage or in the very least awkward at times. I mean yeah there's the swinging dates and such but that's different than this stuff that involves more than momentary instant attraction.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Don't be afraid to back off a little occasionally as well, when people are new to the concept they can get intimidated quickly.

Apple

Oct 27, 2017
My wife and I did a lot of swinging in our mid-30s, and yeah, we eventually met another couple that we really hit it off with and eventually kind of 'settled down' with them. We've been together with them for about six years now.

I wouldn't really say we're poly since we don't all live together or anything, but we did all fall in love with one another, message each other daily, and get together (both together and separately) about once a week. My wife and I have a kid and we're not interested in 'coming out' to him, our family, or our co-workers. Because of that we only have a little bit of time that we can sneak away each week, and once we met them we pretty much spent any and all of it with them. They're childless though and have had way more free time to 'get out there' and meet others. This caused a lot of difficulties early on as we all began to transition from swinging to.. something else, because there were times it felt like 'unspoken rules' were being broken.

When you start swinging it's really important that you've been with your partner long enough to feel 'solid' together, and to set rules and boundaries so that both of you feel safe and secure. But when you begin to see someone who is already in another relationship as your partner as well, you haven't had time to build up that solid foundation with that person *and* you can't set rules and boundaries with them since their primary relationship has to come first. If any of the four of you aren't on the same page, then, welp, there's going to be drama, heartache, frustration, the works.

In our case, as I realized I was falling in love with the other woman, I tried to put some distance between us because I realized all of this might be getting out of hand. But by then she had fallen for me as well, and couldn't bear the thought of us not being together, so we persisted. I needed them to slow things down with others while we figured all of this out, but her husband didn't want to. They were a lot newer to swinging than we were and so it was still new and fun and exciting for them, she was willing to slow down but he wasn't, and so there were a lot of times I felt like my feelings didn't matter to them, which hurt. Those first couple of years were difficult, and a number of times I broke things off with them, but we always found our way back to one other.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2018
I dunno if I have much to share, but I've been seeing a married poly girl for a few years. I'm friends with both of them but don't live with them. I don't get how one + a couple equals a quad though?

OP
OP
Arrogant PsycHOPathy
Sep 20, 2020
My wife and I did a lot of swinging in our mid-30s, and yeah, we eventually met another couple that we really hit it off with and eventually kind of 'settled down' with them. We've been together with them for about six years now.

I wouldn't really say we're poly since we don't all live together or anything, but we did all fall in love with one another, message each other daily, and get together (both together and separately) about once a week. My wife and I have a kid and we're not interested in 'coming out' to him, our family, or our co-workers. Because of that we only have a little bit of time that we can sneak away each week, and once we met them we pretty much spent any and all of it with them. They're childless though and have had way more free time to 'get out there' and meet others. This caused a lot of difficulties early on as we all began to transition from swinging to.. something else, because there were times it felt like 'unspoken rules' were being broken.

When you start swinging it's really important that you've been with your partner long enough to feel 'solid' together, and to set rules and boundaries so that both of you feel safe and secure. But when you begin to see someone who is already in another relationship as your partner as well, you both haven't had time to build up that solid foundation with that person *and* you can't set rules and boundaries with them since their primary relationship has to come first. If any of the four of you aren't on the same page, then, welp, there's going to be drama, heartache, frustration, the works.

In our case, as I realized I was falling in love with the other woman, I tried to slow things down / put a stop to things because I realized all of this might be getting out of hand. But by then she had fallen for me as well, and couldn't bear the thought of us not being together, so we persisted. I needed them to slow things down with others while we figured all of this out, but her husband didn't want to. They were a lot newer to swinging than we were and so it was still new and fun and exciting for them, she was willing to slow down but he wasn't, and so there were a lot of times I felt like my feelings didn't matter to them, which hurt. Those first couple of years were difficult, and a number of times I broke things off with them, but we always found our way back to one other.

Thank you for this. This is the sort of validation I needed. I'm in the opposite spot you were; the one that's been a bit pushier than I should be (I have no problem going into my motivations, just not here). I acknowledge that and trying to better the situation. Your response helps me be more empathic with it. But may I ask, do you think you guys would be where you are if he didn't push some issues from time to time? Feel free to dm if not comfortable in public setting.