• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
So I sadly failed a smog check the other day. It failed cause the check engine light turned on, and some other issue that i'm not really clear on. i went to some different smog check/repair place and they reset the engine light and told me to drive 30 miles to see if it lights up again. if it doesn't, will i be able to pass this time? the guy at the shop wasn't really clear about it.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, if the light is reset, and you drive it to pass the regular initialization stuff and it doesn't turn on (nor during the test), you're fine.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
So I sadly failed a smog check the other day. It failed cause the check engine light turned on, and some other issue that i'm not really clear on. i went to some different smog check/repair place and they reset the engine light and told me to drive 30 miles to see if it lights up again. if it doesn't, will i be able to pass this time? the guy at the shop wasn't really clear about it.
Did the light only turn on during the test? I wouldn't be surprised if the same happens again in that case. You didn't really provide much detail with the issue so it's impossible to give a complete answer. But yes, drive it around to see if it doesn't come back on before even attempting. No guarantee though.

OP
OP

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
Did the light only turn on during the test? I wouldn't be surprised if the same happens again in that case. You didn't really provide much detail with the issue so it's impossible to give a complete answer. But yes, drive it around to see if it doesn't come back on before even attempting. No guarantee though.

yeah, the light was off before i took it in, but turned on while the test was being done. to be clear though, the light has been on for weeks and there was a brief period between sunday and monday where it turned off, which is why i decided to take it in.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
yeah, the light was off before i took it in, but turned on while the test was being done. to be clear though, the light has been on for weeks and there was a brief period between sunday and monday where it turned off, which is why i decided to take it in.
Are you paying money with every retest? I wouldn't be surprised if it came back on during the test. Those lights come on for a reason (most of the time). If you are paying for the retest I would find out what the issue is. You can get it scanned for free at a local parts store like AutoZone if you have one

OP
OP

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
Are you paying money with every retest? I wouldn't be surprised if it came back on during the test. Those lights come on for a reason (most of the time). If you are paying for the retest I would find out what the issue is. You can get it scanned for free at a local parts store like AutoZone if you have one

no, the re-test is free.

OP
OP

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
Go for it after 30 miles. I don't know why the original place didn't reset it for you though. If it fails again get more information. Don't just "not be clear on it". Get the OBD code or any information they can give you and google it

Well they did write it up on the printout, i just down know what it means. it says something like "lean bank 1".

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Well they did write it up on the printout, i just down know what it means. it says something like "lean bank 1".
That's a pretty common error that can't really be fixed over the internet. Could be a number of issues. Not sure if you want to fix it yourself or not but basically there's too much oxygen being detected. Could be a leak, could be a faulty part, etc. You may get lucky and pass the smog but I would still try to fix that issue soon after.

Oct 27, 2017
That's a pretty common error that can't really be fixed over the internet. Could be a number of issues. Not sure if you want to fix it yourself or not but basically there's too much oxygen being detected. Could be a leak, could be a faulty part, etc. You may get lucky and pass the smog but I would still try to fix that issue soon after.

Yeah a car running lean is kind of annoying because it could be any number of hoses or sensors. Once a car gets to about 10 years old, rubber components like hoses start cracking.

It could also be something as simple as the MAF sensor needing to be cleaned which somebody with no mechanical skill could do in 3 minutes. Make sure you use the correct spray or else you'll damage the sensor.

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
The light can also be something really simple like a loose/damaged gas cap, that's the first thing I tell people to check and I have probably a 50 percent success rate. If the gas cap looks old or cracked, buy a replacement for a couple bux, it's the cheapest and easiest thing to try.