• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Towards the end of the movie when Moana tries to get to the Te Fiti island a second time the Ocean helps her get to the island when her ship gets wrecked.

......Why couldn't the ocean just bring her to the island in the first place? Would have saved her and us a lot of time! Ok I know it's a movie, but c'mon!

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
......Why couldn't the ocean just bring her to the island in the first place?

leblud5lkaz21.jpg

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The point of the movie is that she needs to learn to believe in herself, if the ocean just brought her straight to Te Fiti she wouldn't have the appropriate skills to deal with the "villain."

OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
The point of the movie is that she needs to learn to believe in herself, if the ocean just brought her straight to Te Fiti she wouldn't have the appropriate skills to deal with the "villain."
I guess your right about that, but I would imagine the Ocean doing most of the work(clearing the path for her etc) and all she had to do was place the heart of Te Fiti. I'm way overthinking this lol
The ocean wanted to make her work for it 🤷‍♂️
That Ocean is such a jerk lol

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA

I mean, there were a couple of hurdles that she needed to accomplish like find Maui, then his hook and give him the confidence to properly use it again. And of course the character development she has probably wouldn't be happening.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
Why didn't Gandalf just use the Eagles to fly the One Ring to Mnt Doom and drop it in?
Because Gandalf wasn't an idiot. Like does everyone forget the eagles were flesh and blood? They aren't airplanes made of metal. There is a reason why there is only about 12 eagles left in middle earth when there used to be hundreds of thousands.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
Because Gandalf wasn't an idiot. Like does everyone forget the eagles were flesh and blood? They aren't airplanes made of metal. There is a reason why there is only about 12 eagles left in middle earth when there used to be hundreds of thousands.

Yeah, but even if they didn't get them too Mt Doom they still could've dropped them off somewhere close and saved all the trekking through Moria, conflict with the Balrog L, Frodo not so much in thrall to the ring so he just drops it in blah di blah,

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
The Ocean is a dick. Wasted her time and had her put her life in danger countless times. Worst Disney companion. Lazy fuck.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, the ocean could have resolved the entire plot by itself, but it didn't want to.

To be fair, though, it's not like it would be adversely affected either way.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine that the ocean is playing a JRPG, and Moana is the player character. The ocean has to level her up, grinding for XP by fighting Maui and Tamatoa, and the coconut guys. She's not high enough level to beat Te Fiti until she grinds up for a while.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
An equal question: why the fuck were those coconut creatures in the movie? A truly pointless scene beyond highlighting the rooster as the worst sidekick.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
An equal question: why the fuck were those coconut creatures in the movie? A truly pointless scene beyond highlighting the rooster as the worst sidekick.

It's not pointless: it show us how great of a sailor Maui is for one. It's shows how much the stone is coveted by various monsters (as told in the opening) and it's a great little action scene.

And Heyhey gets the most laughs in my household out of any other animal sidekick.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
It's not pointless: it show us how great of a sailor Maui is for one. It's shows how much the stone is coveted by various monsters (as told in the opening) and it's a great little action scene.

And Heyhey gets the most laughs in my household out of any other animal sidekick.

They could've shown Maui's skills with another scene, rather than having the movie screech to a halt. The coconut creatures were uninteresting in the grand scheme of things.

At least someone's being entertained by that rooster.

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
Because if Moana had gone to Te Fiti as she was at the beginning of the movie, she wouldn't have been able to restore her heart.

The movie revolves around understanding who you are (they have like three songs dedicated to that lol). During the journey, Moana discovers who she's meant to be—and through that, she's able to understand and guide others in discovering their own path—First with Maui, then with Te Fiti, and lastly, her own people by reviving the tradition of being voyagers.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maui gave us the reason. He said the ocean is straight up kookie dooks.
Also Maui: "The ocean doesn't help you. You help yourself."

Because the ocean is wise and forces Moana to go on a journey to not only discover the true fate of Te Fiti but to discover her true self. OoooooOooOooooo
Which is why the ocean killed Moana's father's best friend. Because that guy needed to learn death, and Moana's dad needed to learn fear.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but even if they didn't get them too Mt Doom they still could've dropped them off somewhere close and saved all the trekking through Moria, conflict with the Balrog L, Frodo not so much in thrall to the ring so he just drops it in blah di blah,

It's commonly said that the Eagles are proud beings, rarely deign to undertake favors for other creatures, and find ferrying people on their backs beneath them. The times where they show up in the books have more to do with their begrudging relationship with the wizards than their willingness to be Middle Earth's taxi service. Not to mention even for them people are heavy.

There's also the fact that as pretty much angelic creations, they're much, much more susceptible to the Ring's corruption than Hobbits or even Men and Elves are.

Last edited:

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The rooster is a terrible sidekick and Pua is much better but that scene was fucking stunning visually

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I like Moana but it's a series of barely related vignettes that they strung together into a movie. Remember the random coconut pirate segment? Had nothing to do with anything.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
The same reason I don't do my daughter's homework for her; she won't learn anything.