• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ugh, I wish he would just apologize. He misremembered an anecdote from a book, let it inform his perception of him and included it in his movie, and he won't back down even after he was called out for misremembering the anecdote. It's a great movie but the scene is just wrong. I would respect him so much more if he admitted he fucked up and owned up to it. It's okay to make mistakes, but own up to them. Very disappointing.

You're probably pretty much 110% spot on.

CamberGreber

Banned
Dec 27, 2019
As I said before for me its not about specifically how Bruce Lee is depicted in that movie. Although I might have a different take on that if I was Asian American, and I felt like its just taking a random crap on one of the biggest Asian-American icons in a movie with not a lot of Asian American representation in it, in a hollywood system with not a lot of Asian American representation in it also.

Putting that aside, I'm fine with it as a plot vehicle in that specific movie. I have plenty of other issues with that movie that are fundamental to my non-enjoyment of it (its the only Tarantino film I straight up don't like. Has zero to do with the Bruce Lee scene) other than that but whatever. Opinions we all have them. And obviously a number of other people like the movie on its movie-making merits.

I don't like his argumentative approach and I will keep saying it because it truly feels like he feels like he has special secret knowledge about how Bruce Lee was. He won't let the work stand for itself. He keeps inserting himself into the discussion with all this secret knowledge stuff. Dude just shut up. Make the movie and back away from it. You aren't immune to criticism. Take it on the chin and go about your business. Alot of people don't like that element of your movie. Some find it borderline offensive. They are entitled to that. He's doesn't need to tell them he has the secret inside scoop. And if he does. If he wants to litigate it. Go on an actual proper news show and have the debate there. Where both sides can present and say something. Not the fucking Joe Rogan Alt-Right podcast show. If you already didn't believe him in the first place and felt he was being racially insensitive, how does going on the Joe Rogan show convince anybody.

My last post on this. I'm done with it.
I tottally agree that going on Rogans podcast wont help his case at all. Bad move on his part.

I would imagine it would have gone a good way to easing tensions with fans if he would have just used the original ending that he tricked people with online about Bruce and Cliff Teaming up in the end and would have also made the movie better. I would have enjoyed it alot more.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The first time my dad visited us he stopped by Bruce/Brandon Lee's graves. He'd probably love to go to his favorite restaurant.
It is designated as a landmark by the city, so when rona hits they were able to secure financial assistance easier than most.
There are several ways to look at it, but I choose to think of it as Bruce Lee saving his favorite restaurant.

Put it on a list of things to do next time you're in Seattle.

Oct 28, 2017
Tales from my ass: Tarantino edition.

Besides not even making sense, none of these reasons are in the movie. We don't know that Cliff is apparently some hardcore jungle killer, we don't see him do a "military stance" whatever the hell that means and we don't see Lee being an ass to stuntmen.

Tarantino wanted a scene where he made fun of Bruce Lee and messed with his legacy. That much is obvious. All of these reasons seems like bullshit he came up with after all the criticism.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
A privileged white guy making fun of Bruce lee, literally someone whose never had much good onscreen Asians ever represented. Literally history of Hollywood is about Asians getting put down everywhere even to this day. Constant underrepresentation, underpaid, undervalued, constant abuse,anything involved in constantly putting down Asians during that time period. The fact that even Brad pitt realized how problematic the original scene was (where Bruce loses) even despite the direction of "fantasy/dream" shows that "Fantasy" is an absolutely shitty excuse. which I've seen all the too much times.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean the movie was a piece of shit and the worst movie he made. (Even worse than Death Proof) So even if this was a good scene and completely justified, it wouldn't suddenly make the rest of it good.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Next Quentin Tarantino movie to be the civil rights movement, but only with white people with one scene where Martin Luther King punches one of them.

Pelleas

Oct 28, 2017
This was like 24 years ago lol. I don't even remember the name of the movie or theater, just that it was about a deaf girl in a haunted Mansion.

But yeah, he basically comes in with this huge entourage and sits two rows behind me. The movie has some ridiculous moments and my friend's brother starts riffing them. The whole theater starts laughing and clapping so QT starts doing the same except man...I get he's a brilliant script writer, but the dude is just corny as shit in person. Like, he actually killed the good mood of the entire theater. He just kept going and going with only his group laughing at his weak shit, until I just turned around and shouted, "Holy shit, shut the fuck up!"

Him and his friends just sort of looked at each other and murmured, and my friends who fucking hated him smelled the blood in the water and started yelling, "CITY ON FIRE HUH, QUENTIN?!" Didn't hear a peep from that bitch the rest of the movie.

Honestly, I remember feeling pretty bad about it for a while, but realizing what a racist shit he actually is, I'm proud this was my first and only interaction with him.

PS - Please don't turn this into a copypasta!

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
This really confirms to me that Tarantino was just exploiting the minorities through his movies while being sly and underhanded with his racism. Goes completely out of his way to shit on one of the most iconic Chinese American. And honestly, his abundant use of the N word in all his movies has always been super disturbing.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
yeah, this.

Also, you have to consider the power dynamics of a white director making a movie about white people, in which he takes a beloved Chinese American, known for having suffered mad racism, and portrays him negatively. There's that angle that a lot of white people don't consider. Yeah, Bruce Lee was arrogant and I can believe that he probably didn't give stuntmen enough respect. But that is something that needs to be explored more thoroughly in its own context, not in a singular scene in a movie by and for white people.
This. I would have no problem with this scene if it was about a white icon of that era. It's just really uncomfortable when it's aimed at Bruce Lee in a very white movie.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
QT seems like a dickhead, but he always seemed that way.

Oct 27, 2017
Just an embarrassing and offensive response. He acts like he knows what he's talking about, but even the sources he references contradict the portrayal in the movie.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
The fact that even Brad pitt realized how problematic the original scene was (where Bruce loses) even despite the direction of "fantasy/dream" shows that "Fantasy" is an absolutely shitty excuse. which I've seen all the too much times.

For real, how many times has "just a movie" actually informed some really backwards-ass opinions in real life?

Especially since Tarantino is full mask off now and all but admitted he only stuck that scene in the movie because he had a personal axe to grind with his perception of Bruce Lee. It literally served no purpose in the movie other than Tarantino jerking himself off for "finally" getting to knock Lee down peg.

"Yeah, but how else can we demonstrate that Cliff is a badass?"

For real, if someone is going to respond to me with something like that, please kindly fuck off.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Not saying QT is correct in his portrayal, but I can't imagine it was easy being a Chinese stunt actor in Hollywood back then. He probably had to puff himself up quite a bit to be taken seriously, and yeah that probably included clowning on Americans from time to time. Those old school Hollywood working actors and stuntmen were probably, on the whole, extremely racist towards him and Bruce probably had to compensate quite a bit to stand out

Small Red Boy

▲ Legend ▲
May 9, 2019
I feel like he is doing a Louis C. K. "So you think I am a bigot? You'll see how bigoted I am now! I can work with this 'new' audience". Going to Rogan's podcast is a bad look.

nutmeg

Apr 23, 2021
There is something very interesting and appealing to seeing a more nuanced version of Bruce Lee. He's so iconic that he has basically become a superhero, and you could afford to explore his actual personality without it really having an effect on his legacy. If anything, it should make him more relatable.

Of course, QT doesn't do those things. He essentially just uses Lee as a prop to show what a badass Cliff is. Meanwhile, the actual characterization of Bruce Lee in that scene is obviously not so respectful considering the characterization of all the other celebrities in the movie.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
This feels like one of those moments where Tarantino is getting the Dunning Kreuger effect going on real hard. He thinks he know's everything and anything about movies and movie history and he's shows a pretty big blind spot when it comes to martial arts, martial arts films and Bruce Lee. Lebell often praised Bruce so even if they may have had some issues Tarantino going on about the stuntmen thing feels like he is just pulling some random anecdote he read or heard and using that as the God's honest truth. This is even worse knowing how he fucked up Uma Thurman on set. Of course this is QT who can't help himself with being an overblown asshole.

Last edited:

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
He's the kind of white nerd ("I don't know how much the rest of you know about [X] culture, I'm an expert") who thinks consuming Asian and black culture gives him carte blanche to do whatever he wants with depictions and representation and not expect any pushback. He's so thin skinned with his white fragility that he can't take any criticisms from people of these minority cultures.

Rikster

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Jun 24, 2018
California
Basically telling Joe to go suck a dick, lol. Idk odd Joe didn't call him out and ask how he exactly knew Bruce Lee was like that towards stuntmen idk if I fully buy that. QT is super sensitive probably better Joe didn't press him to hard.

Metal Gear?!

Banned
Jun 26, 2020
Here's the truth behind Lee vs Stuntmen and the real life inspiration for the Cliff vs Lee scene:

www.ozy.com

Debunking Quentin Tarantino's 'Mockery' of Bruce Lee | OZY

The real stunt guy played by Brad Pitt is irked by the liberties taken in ‘Once Upon a Time … In Hollywood.’

"Gene LeBell was known in the business as the toughest man alive, and I should know since I co-authored his autobiography, The Godfather of Grappling.

According to LeBell, Lee was a working stiff on the set of The Green Hornet but was kicking the shit out of the stuntmen. They couldn't convince him that he could go easy and it would still look great on film. The show's stunt coordinator, Bennie Dobbins, needed a ringer to deal with Lee, so he called in Judo Gene.

LeBell says when he got to the set, Dobbins told him to put Lee "in a headlock or something."

So LeBell went up and grabbed Lee. "He started making all those noises that he became famous for," LeBell said, "but he didn't try to counter me, so I think he was more surprised than anything else."

Then LeBell lifted Lee onto his back in what's called a fireman's carry and ran around the set with him.

Put me down or I'll kill you!" Lee screamed.

"I can't put you down or you'll kill me," LeBell said, holding Lee there as long as he dared before putting him down, saying, "Hey, Bruce, don't kill me. Just kidding, champ."

Back on his feet again, Lee didn't kill LeBell. Instead, Lee recognized that the lack of grappling was a deficiency in the Jeet Kune Do style of martial arts he was developing. So Lee trained with LeBell for a little over a year with LeBell showing Lee armbars, leg locks and takedowns, and Lee schooling LeBell in kung fu kicks.

After training with LeBell, Lee incorporated grappling moves into his film fighting. He finishes off Chuck Norris with a chokehold in Way of the Dragon (1972) and beats a young Sammo Hung with an armbar in Enter the Dragon (1973).

"I didn't go to Hong Kong with him for Enter the Dragon, but when he came back, he told me, 'I did this armbar to show you,'" LeBell recalled. Lee died before Enter the Dragon — his ultimate career accomplishment and posthumous breakthrough as a global movie and martial arts star — but he did return to Hollywood after completing the film in a frantic bid to line up his next projects.

While they trained together, LeBell became Lee's favorite kicking dummy in episodes of The Green Hornet and Longstreet. "He really liked the way I took falls for him," LeBell says.

When I talked to LeBell last night, he was blissfully unaware that Brad Pitt was playing a cowboy fantasy version of him in Once Upon a Time … in Hollywood.

"It's a lot of bullshit," LeBell said. "But you can't eat glory."

But actually knowing LeBell makes Tarantino's fiction all the more galling. In his cute little scene, Tarantino sells both Lee and LeBell short.

When LeBell scooped Lee up on the set of The Green Hornet, he was already a world-class martial artist when there weren't that many in the United States. LeBell was a two-time national judo champion. He had also trained and wrestled at the Kōdōkan in Tokyo, the mecca of judo. He had fought and won what many consider to be the first mixed martial arts fight when he took on ranked light heavyweight boxer Milo Savage in 1963.

LeBell's mother, Aileen Eaton, was the top boxing and wrestling promoter in Los Angeles, so LeBell was learning chokeholds from guys like Ed "Strangler" Lewis when he was just 7 years old. LeBell parlayed his pain-inducing skills into careers in martial arts, professional wrestling and Hollywood stunt work, making him the ultimate ass-kicking Renaissance man, as well as a true son of the City of Angels.

And this is what it took to just pick up Bruce Lee and clown him during a TV shoot. Somebody like Brad Pitt's Cliff Booth would have just been one of the guys begging the show's stunt coordinator to call in Judo Gene. So when LeBell asks me to track down Tarantino to set the record straight, the only thing I can do is say yes.

"You've gotta put Bruce Lee over," LeBell said during our phone conversation. "He means so much to martial arts. You've gotta put him over, Bob."

So what have we learned?

1) As many have surmised, there was a real inciting incident, and Lee really was treating stuntmen rougher than they were used to, most likely treating them like they would in Hong Kong martial arts films.

2) A white dude, "Judo Gene" LeBell, really did put Lee in his place with a grappling move. Of course this white dude was a Judo master, a two time national champion who had trained and fought in Japan, who came from a family of martial artists.

3) Afterwards, they became good friends, with Lee learning from this defeat and learning grappling moves and counters from LeBell and incorporating them into Jeet Kune Do, in exchange for teaching LeBell his fantastic kicks.

4) Tarantino's weird grudge against Lee has not only caused him to completely misinterpret this incident but has also robbed us all of a far better movie where Cliff and Lee become fast friends, train together, learn from each other, and go on to kick Manson Family ass together.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's the truth behind Lee vs Stuntmen and the real life inspiration for the Cliff vs Lee scene:

www.ozy.com

The real stunt guy played by Brad Pitt is irked by the liberties taken in ‘Once Upon a Time … In Hollywood.’

"Gene LeBell was known in the business as the toughest man alive, and I should know since I co-authored his autobiography, The Godfather of Grappling.

According to LeBell, Lee was a working stiff on the set of The Green Hornet but was kicking the shit out of the stuntmen. They couldn't convince him that he could go easy and it would still look great on film. The show's stunt coordinator, Bennie Dobbins, needed a ringer to deal with Lee, so he called in Judo Gene.

LeBell says when he got to the set, Dobbins told him to put Lee "in a headlock or something."

So LeBell went up and grabbed Lee. "He started making all those noises that he became famous for," LeBell said, "but he didn't try to counter me, so I think he was more surprised than anything else."

Then LeBell lifted Lee onto his back in what's called a fireman's carry and ran around the set with him.

"I can't put you down or you'll kill me," LeBell said, holding Lee there as long as he dared before putting him down, saying, "Hey, Bruce, don't kill me. Just kidding, champ."

Back on his feet again, Lee didn't kill LeBell. Instead, Lee recognized that the lack of grappling was a deficiency in the Jeet Kune Do style of martial arts he was developing. So Lee trained with LeBell for a little over a year with LeBell showing Lee armbars, leg locks and takedowns, and Lee schooling LeBell in kung fu kicks.

After training with LeBell, Lee incorporated grappling moves into his film fighting. He finishes off Chuck Norris with a chokehold in Way of the Dragon (1972) and beats a young Sammo Hung with an armbar in Enter the Dragon (1973).

"I didn't go to Hong Kong with him for Enter the Dragon, but when he came back, he told me, 'I did this armbar to show you,'" LeBell recalled. Lee died before Enter the Dragon — his ultimate career accomplishment and posthumous breakthrough as a global movie and martial arts star — but he did return to Hollywood after completing the film in a frantic bid to line up his next projects.

While they trained together, LeBell became Lee's favorite kicking dummy in episodes of The Green Hornet and Longstreet. "He really liked the way I took falls for him," LeBell says.

When I talked to LeBell last night, he was blissfully unaware that Brad Pitt was playing a cowboy fantasy version of him in Once Upon a Time … in Hollywood.

But actually knowing LeBell makes Tarantino's fiction all the more galling. In his cute little scene, Tarantino sells both Lee and LeBell short.

When LeBell scooped Lee up on the set of The Green Hornet, he was already a world-class martial artist when there weren't that many in the United States. LeBell was a two-time national judo champion. He had also trained and wrestled at the Kōdōkan in Tokyo, the mecca of judo. He had fought and won what many consider to be the first mixed martial arts fight when he took on ranked light heavyweight boxer Milo Savage in 1963.

LeBell's mother, Aileen Eaton, was the top boxing and wrestling promoter in Los Angeles, so LeBell was learning chokeholds from guys like Ed "Strangler" Lewis when he was just 7 years old. LeBell parlayed his pain-inducing skills into careers in martial arts, professional wrestling and Hollywood stunt work, making him the ultimate ass-kicking Renaissance man, as well as a true son of the City of Angels.

And this is what it took to just pick up Bruce Lee and clown him during a TV shoot. Somebody like Brad Pitt's Cliff Booth would have just been one of the guys begging the show's stunt coordinator to call in Judo Gene. So when LeBell asks me to track down Tarantino to set the record straight, the only thing I can do is say yes.

"You've gotta put Bruce Lee over," LeBell said during our phone conversation. "He means so much to martial arts. You've gotta put him over, Bob."

So what have we learned?

1) As many have surmised, there was a real inciting incident, and Lee really was treating stuntmen rougher than they were used to, most likely treating them like they would in Hong Kong martial arts films.

2) A white dude, "Judo Gene" LeBell, really did put Lee in his place with a grappling move. Of course this white dude was a Judo master, a two time national champion who had trained and fought in Japan, who came from a family of martial artists.

3) Afterwards, they became good friends, with Lee learning from this defeat and learning grappling moves and counters from LeBell and incorporating them into Jeet Kune Do, in exchange for teaching LeBell his fantastic kicks.

4) Tarantino's weird grudge against Lee has not only caused him to completely misinterpret this incident but has also robbed us all of a far better movie where Cliff and Lee become fast friends, train together, learn from each other, and go on to kick Manson Family ass together.

Yup

People seem to think the issue is being Bruce Lee portrayed as an asshole, which is silly and misleading. Representation doesn't mean having flawless representation, it means letting non-white characters have the depth and focus explored typically afforded to white leads. They got a charismatic actor to play Bruce Lee and he feels completely wasted to me. Would have loved if he had an arc with Cliff.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017

www.ozy.com

So what have we learned?

I read multiple sources to make sure I'm not being an asshole and all points to QT overblowing yhe situation and Lee having lots of respect to other martial artists like Muhammed Ali

Like whatever it's a movie and QT wanted to so his OC being so cool he beat Bruce Lee whatever but his defense of the scene just makes it look worse especially acting like Lee is some charlatan

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I hate almost everything about this other than the part where QT is telling Rogan (indirectly) to suck a dick and Rogan isn't saying shit back.

nutmeg

Apr 23, 2021
Yup

People seem to think the issue is being Bruce Lee portrayed as an asshole, which is silly and misleading. Representation doesn't mean having flawless representation, it means letting non-white characters have the depth and focus explored typically afforded to white leads. They got a charismatic actor to play Bruce Lee and he feels completely wasted to me. Would have loved if he had an arc with Cliff.

Agreed on the casting. Had the right presence.

Basically, the real-life events Of Lee and LeBell seems just perfect for a movie. Lee was bested by a move he was not prepared for, but took it in stride and realized the move's potential, incorporating it into his battle portfolio while befriending LeBell himself. Clearly Lee would use the grappling move in the final act, this writes itself.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
This was like 24 years ago lol. I don't even remember the name of the movie or theater, just that it was about a deaf girl in a haunted Mansion.

But yeah, he basically comes in with this huge entourage and sits two rows behind me. The movie has some ridiculous moments and my friend's brother starts riffing them. The whole theater starts laughing and clapping so QT starts doing the same except man...I get he's a brilliant script writer, but the dude is just corny as shit in person. Like, he actually killed the good mood of the entire theater. He just kept going and going with only his group laughing at his weak shit, until I just turned around and shouted, "Holy shit, shut the fuck up!"

Him and his friends just sort of looked at each other and murmured, and my friends who fucking hated him smelled the blood in the water and started yelling, "CITY ON FIRE HUH, QUENTIN?!" Didn't hear a peep from that bitch the rest of the movie.

Honestly, I remember feeling pretty bad about it for a while, but realizing what a racist shit he actually is, I'm proud this was my first and only interaction with him.

Hahaha. Thanks for sharing that.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed on the casting. Had the right presence.

Basically, the real-life events Of Lee and LeBell seems just perfect for a movie. Lee was bested by a move he was not prepared for, but took it in stride and realized the move's potential, incorporating it into his battle portfolio while befriending LeBell himself. Clearly Lee would use the grappling move in the final act, this writes itself.

TFW even that part of shounen tropes has basis

To add to the whole thing, a lot of it gets into the stock notion that martial arts is 'fake' fighting, ergo anything meant to 'really' kill - that's 'military' - is automatically better. Nevermind that the fighting ability of the character in question doesn't readily appear to meet that standard, or that the development of Jeet Kune Do was itself in response to the impracticalities of traditional martial arts as actual fighting techniques. It's approaching these ideas in broadstrokes to arrive at a worldview Tarantino evidently already ascribes to, rather than actually considering any of the specifics

quik killa

Oct 29, 2017

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK

But this is great for a copypasta! What did the city on fire comment mean, that he's mouthing off like there's a fire emergency going on or is it a specific reference to QT?

Small Red Boy

▲ Legend ▲
May 9, 2019
But this is great for a copypasta! What did the city on fire comment mean, that he's mouthing off like there's a fire emergency going on or is it a specific reference to QT?
Pretty sure it is because Reservoir Dogs is a "copy" of City on Fire a movie from Hong Kong. I haven't watched the movie but the plot is pretty similar.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, if you go on Joe Rogan for any reason you are a piece of shit. That's before you get into the crap Quentin is spouting, which is, yeah, crap.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
User Banned (Permanent): Dismissing concerns around racism; long history of inflammatory behavior including severe bans for similar behavior.
QT includes racism and distorts historical events for the same reason he includes graphic violence: to make his films better. Are blood fountains spaying the walls necessary? No. Does it elevate this movie? Yes. Is his primadonna big mouthed version of Bruce Lee even remotely accurate? No. But it's an excellent scene.

Is QT an asshole? He's a 60 year old my-way-or-the-highway director who has successfully bullied everyone on set for 30 years. Yes. He's an ass.

Oct 30, 2017
The Uma Thurman thing comes up...Uma and Quentin are still friends, Uma presented him with an award recently, Quentin considers it a huge fuckup and one of the worst mistakes he's ever made, and they've been working on Kill Bill 3 together.

I don't think anything more needs to be said, and Uma Thurman doesn't need you defending her.

Tarantino can be a blowhard pompous ass, completely full of himself.

The current climate means, rightfully, a white macho American man vs. Bruce Lee, portrayed the way it was, is problematic, and I wish he'd just let it go and say he got it wrong.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
The Uma Thurman thing comes up...Uma and Quentin are still friends, Uma presented him with an award recently, Quentin considers it a huge fuckup and one of the worst mistakes he's ever made, and they've been working on Kill Bill 3 together.

I don't think anything more needs to be said, and Uma Thurman doesn't need you defending her.

Tarantino can be a blowhard pompous ass, completely full of himself.

The current climate means, rightfully, a white macho American man vs. Bruce Lee, portrayed the way it was, is problematic, and I wish he'd just let it go and say he got it wrong.

What's funny is QT is saying similar to you bit about Gene and the stunt men of his time, as if it's on his shoulders to correct some failure of Hollywood to put down Bruce. QT should have probably done some actual research on the stuff he's talking about as he'd learn that Gene and Bruce became long time friends after their initial encounter with Bruce going so far to train with and learn from Gene.

Oct 30, 2017
What's funny is QT is saying similar to you bit about Gene and the stunt men of his time, as if it's on his shoulders to correct some failure of Hollywood to put down Bruce. QT should have probably done some actual research on the stuff he's talking about as he'd learn that Gene and Bruce became long time friends after their initial encounter with Bruce going so far to train with and learn from Gene.
I agree with you, and it's weird he's got the story wrong, as Gene is a pretty big deal in the grappling world. I also don't believe Bruce would agree to fight some random stuntman.

In the backstory that makes it into the book, Cliff Booth is not just a wartime killer, he's a three-time murderer. He's literally murdered three people, including his wife. He's supposed to be a sketchy guy, and someone who has gone too far more than once.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissing Concerns of Racism
I really couldn't imagine being this invested on whether or not a fictional character could beat up a real human, or getting upset over any part of it. It really is a movie, it never happened, move the fuck on with the hero worship it didn't actually happen.

Grenchel

Oct 27, 2017
Tarantino is a very gifted filmmaker, but I don't know how people higher up don't tell him to just shut the fuck up.

I could probably create a 50 page thread by myself with individual moments of cringe from that guy.

Case in point:

jml

Mar 9, 2018
Tarantino is a very gifted filmmaker, but I don't know how people higher up don't tell him to just shut the fuck up.

I'm not sure they're the ones with the leverage, the higher ups you're talking about probably need him more than he needs them. Try to reign him in and he'll probably just tell them to fuck off.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"It's in the book, when Bruce realizes Cliff is taking a military combat stance, he realizes Cliff is a killer."

An easy way to signpost you have no idea what you're talking about. If anyone tries to tell you that they know secret military martial arts that are too deadly for MMA or whatever, they are 100% lying.
lol came here to say this

This is some corny ass shit coming from Tarantino. Also some strange "life imitating art imitating life" situation, where his consumption of classic martial arts movies has so heavily painted his understanding of martial arts.

"What?! A military combat stance?!? T-this man is a killer!"