• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dusan

Aug 2, 2020
django-zorro-collection.jpg

From Jerrod Carmichael's GQ Interview,

The Django meets Zorro project he was working on with Quentin Tarantino? Not happening, but "Quentin's a lunatic who I love, and I'm happy that I got to spend the time. We saw exploitation flicks at the New Beverly, he read me scenes that never made it to his movies, that he had typed out, in his kitchen after making fresh-squeezed lemonade for me. It was really special. It's actually an incredible, incredible script that came in from that Django/Zorro that I would love for Sony to figure out, but I realize the impossibility of it. But I still think we wrote a $500 million film."

www.gq.com

The Truth About Jerrod Carmichael

The very private comedian-writer-director made his personal life very public with his recent HBO special, 'Rothaniel.' Now he shares what happens when you have nothing to hide.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Forgive my ignorance of the film industry, but has Tarantino not earned the rep to do basically whatever he wants at this stage...?

Would have liked to see Foxx back in the role.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
How did they make that into a $500 million dollar film?

EDIT: I don't see how this film could have budget issues as the main problem, both due to how presumably small the budget could be and the talent attached justifying it.

The Driver

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have a more spotty track record for movies they talk about vs the ones that actually happen than QT/Del Toro? Lol

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
man, had no idea that this was being worked on. I fucking love the idea.

Hopefully it happens. :(

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
500 is too high unless they mean how much it would make

I think that's exactly what he means - he thinks it would make that much money, not cost that much. The highest-budget film currently on record isn't even at $400m, and that was a Pirates of a Caribbean film. A Zorro movie wouldn't cost anywhere near that much to make.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Forgive my ignorance of the film industry, but has Tarantino not earned the rep to do basically whatever he wants at this stage...?

Even Marvel movies don't hit $500 million, even if thats an exaggeration. What could possibly be in that script to justify that budget holy shit

Edit: oh he means it would make that much. Damn yeah I would watch that.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

Not if it was 500 million

Tarantino does not deliver revenue that would warrant that budget

Edit: nevermind he means 500 million revenue

But still no, no one is getting Carte Blanche anymore

Oct 27, 2017
500 is too high unless they mean how much it would make

How did they make that into a $500 million dollar film?

EDIT: I don't see how this film could have budget issues as the main problem, both due to how presumably small the budget could be and the talent attached justifying it.

500 budget is ridiculous, would have been fucking dope though. One day maybe

Where is everyone getting the impression that he was talking about budget? I think it's pretty clear that he meant it would have made over $500 million at the BO. In fact, I think the OP completely misinterpreted the meaning of that paragraph during the interview, and that this entire thread's premise is flawed (except that the movie is not being made).

If I say "I have a million dollar idea," I am not referring to it costing $1 million, but rather that it could make $1 million.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
How does QT not have a blank check from every studio in Hollywood?
Even Marvel movies don't hit $500 million, even if thats an exaggeration. What could possibly be in that script to justify that budget holy shit

Edit: oh he means it would make that much. Damn yeah I would watch that.
Giant mechanical spider

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
This sucks. I always wanted more Django!

But 500m budget? How mad would that movie turn with that budget?!

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Don't make two Spider-Man spin-offs and use the budget for this film. Problem solved, Sony.

Django had a budget of $100 million. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was ~$100 million. I'd assume that's about the top end that Rothman would approve for a film that isn't a mainline Spider-Man flick?

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
Where is everyone getting the impression that he was talking about budget? I think it's pretty clear that he meant it would have made over $500 million at the BO. In fact, I think the OP completely misinterpreted the meaning of that paragraph during the interview, and that this entire thread's premise is flawed (except that the movie is not being made).

If I say "I have a million dollar idea," I am not referring to it costing $1 million, but rather that it could make $1 million.
Yeah now that I'm rereading I think you're right.

Oct 27, 2017
How does QT not have a blank check from every studio in Hollywood?
He does, to a point, but nobody has a $500 million blank check. I'm also not sure if the quote is referring to what he thinks the budget would end up being, which seems grossly inflated even as far as speculation goes, or if his intention was to say it would probably make $500mil but would cost something around 200/250 million which a studio wouldn't greenlight for that low of a return.

Tarantino seems to be able to make whatever he wants, but no studio is going to spend an exorbitant amount of money for a movie they probably wouldn't break even. As iconic as his films are they do well for their respective budgets but they're not exactly runaway financial hits, for the most part.