• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Or rather, queer characters who hit a lot of stereotypes or otherwise are very clearly played for some kind of laugh at their expense, but you still love them for some reason. I came up with the thread based on issues close to me but please feel free to include other examples in similar circumstances.

So what got me thinking about this topic was reminiscing about an anime called Gurren Lagann, which then brought me to Leeron.

TTGL-Leeron.jpg

Leeron's a gay dude who hits on the male characters to their gross discomfort, which is constantly played for laughs. It happens seemingly at least once an episode where he has any significant focus and he has a theme song dedicated about how much he wants to fuck dudes. It's sometimes implied he plays it up to annoy the team for his own amusement but even watching Gurren Lagann when I was 15, before knowing the truth about myself, it was hard not to dissociate from the idea that Leeron was a joke.

Leeron's also the smartest person on the whole planet and single handedly responsible for jumpstarting a technological revolution for all of humanity where they go from blasted underground caves to a massive futuristic city in about seven years. One of my favourite moments is when Simon, the hero, shakes off his funk and dramatically returns to battle and everyone stares at him in awed disbelief except Leeron, who's standing there confidently nodding along to Simon's speech, like he was the only one who believed in Simon and knew he'd come back eventually, and throughout the whole show he's depicted as the brains behind the rebellion, and later human government, as the one who reverse engineered the Gurren mechs and created all the amazing technology the heroes use to fight. If Leeron didn't hit on the male characters, who then proceeded to freak out like it was the end of the world the way straight dudes act like they're being violated breathing the same air as a queer man, he'd probably still be fondly remembered as an important queer guy in a genre that traditionally had no part for them, but if he wasn't a Wacky Gay Man he probably wouldn't have been in the show to begin with.

I definitely don't want this thread to end up as "yeah this character is a big stereotype, but he sure is funny!' Like, I really want to talk about the idea of finding values in characters who probably weren't made for you but rather at your expense, but for one reason or another you ended up seeing value in them. I've never tried to have this conversation before, so I would appreciate any feedback.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
latest

Pretty well-written character until the end.

A real big shame that Isayama had no idea how to end this character's arc in a truly satisfying way and wasted her.

Oct 25, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

Bon Clay from One Piece
Might genuinely be my favorite OP character. He starts off as a villain but quickly befriends the Straw Hats going as far as sacrificing his crew for them to make an escape after an amazing speech. But that isn't even the start of his greatness. He muuuuch later makes a reappearance and aids Luffy in his breakout from the world's highest security prison in an effort to rescue his brother. The struggle and badassery Bon Clay exhibits here makes him GOAT material. From his fighting prowess to his emotional support, Bon Clay is exemplifies everything an admirable character should be. Luffy might very well be dead without him in this arc. I won't spoil it, but his departure at the end of this ordeal is one of the most heartbreaking moments in the series. Luffy owes this man his life, and every reader their respect.

Dec 30, 2020
Natsuki Kizu is, as far as I know, a straight lady, but her protagonists in the manga/anime series Given are fantastic. She writes at least six gay male protagonists who are unique, have their own distinct personalities, and aren't entirely defined just by their relationships. It's a great series if you've not seen it.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Titus Andromedon: The Thread

Best part of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. Dude was a parody in every scene he's in, but he's hilarious.

ws6bunsfpag7musf41pc.jpg

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Titus Andromedon: The Thread

Best part of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. Dude was a parody in every scene he's in, but he's hilarious.
Titus is a good one. They only get away with it because every single character in that show is some sort of heightened, cartoony stereotype. But he's undoubtedly the most fun.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Titus is a good one. They only get away with it because every single character in that show is some sort of heightened, cartoony stereotype. But he's undoubtedly the most fun.
I would also like to think that because he's gay, and the team of people who created the show, they were smart enough to work with him to keep it fun and not veer off into the offensive like sitcoms and comedy shows do far too often.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Max Blum from the TV show, "Happy Endings," was the first time I ever saw a gay man on TV not act stereotypically gay. He was lazy, messy, dirty, didn't groom himself, played video games, drank beer, and overate a lot. He was such a breath of fresh air when it came to portraying gay men on TV/movies and he was someone I identified with when the show was originally on the air back in the early 2010s. The actor that plays him, Adam Pally, is straight but he was all in on the character:

54adba44d648b_-_elle-happy-endings-1.jpg

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Max Blum from the TV show, "Happy Endings," was the first time I ever saw a gay man on TV not act stereotypically gay. He was lazy, messy, dirty, didn't groom himself, played video games, drank beer, and overate a lot. He was such a breath of fresh air when it came to portraying gay men on TV/movies and he was someone I identified with when the show was originally on the air back in the early 2010s. The actor that plays him, Adam Pally, is straight but he was all in on the character:

Bring back Happy Endings Sony.
Penny was the offensive gay character on HE lol.

OP
OP
Weiss

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah I suppose Sylvando or Bon Clay are who I'm thinking about. Dragon Quest is attached to the stench of Koichi Sugiyama and One Piece gets a lot of criticism for its repeat jokes about queer men, but at the same time those two characters are well loved even by queer men. I don't know much about Bon Clay myself, but Sylvando is a character who looks and acts incredibly flamboyant, but who is also depicted as a constant ray of sunshine and steadfast ally to the Luminary and everyone loves and respects him. I have a hard time believing it was intentional but Sylvando feels like a character who reminded me about camp culture for queer men as a valid expression of our identity.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
d26ab4e8c5ece8cb15d4fcdac6371b7c.png
8b971fe5cef1b8afa0d2c1eb1a6b838e.png
8f703391f06f56cf7305fb4ba83f5caa.png

dc95f8fdedf85cec6da40c8eb728d135.png
2fd3e64d5293fb3da01cf753eadddf39.png

A ton of Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye/Lost Light pivots around queer drama and relationships, and generally in very complicated, messy, and tragic ways.

OP
OP
Weiss

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
d26ab4e8c5ece8cb15d4fcdac6371b7c.png
8b971fe5cef1b8afa0d2c1eb1a6b838e.png
8f703391f06f56cf7305fb4ba83f5caa.png

dc95f8fdedf85cec6da40c8eb728d135.png
2fd3e64d5293fb3da01cf753eadddf39.png

A ton of Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye/Lost Light pivots around queer drama and relationships, and generally in very complicated, messy, and tragic ways.

It's true that these guys are written by a straight dude, but other than going through hard times like the rest of the cast I don't think the series depicts them as jokes or lesser to the rest of the cast. Roberts took advantage of the IDW continuity's then-established total absence of female Transformers to establish Cybertron as a homorantic/aromantic society.

Maybe I would have been better off including the word "problematic" in the OP to get my point across, that the characters were there for the benefit of straight watchers, but then found a fandom in queer spaces.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Leeron is a good example of what you describe for sure. He's legitimately competent and adept but they way they write his sexuality as overbearing and aggressive as it is is really off-putting. I can enjoy him as a character but as someone who wasn't out even to myself when I watched Gurren Lagann Leeron is an example I'd point to of pushing my own thoughts on being gay further into "no I can't be that, look at the people who are gay in media! I'm not that!" which continues to be damaging.

This discussion is... a tough one. Because while there are gay characters written by straight writers that I do think are decently well done, the ones that fit your larger description: character written clearly with an uninformed straight person's cliched perception of gay identity, I just find immensely hard to enjoy even when they have positive elements to them.

Maybe this is just coming from the side of me that is still kind of bitter on media's effect on my own inability to be comfortable with my sexuality until I was in my 20s, but looking back it's just... it's really tough for me to look at characters played up on stereotypes and written without nuance, especially those who make a very big show about how aggressive or even predatory their sexual behaviors are, and be able to even enjoy the positive elements of them. The damage of that representation feels like it's too much to warrant my legitimate support.

I haven't played Dragon Quest but it sounds like Sylvando does a pretty good job of this but part of that also is that -to my knowledge- the game never truly tells you he's gay. It's just that he's a queer coded character with a lot of enjoyable campiness while not actually leaning into romantic or sexual topics at all. I think cases like that are a lot easier to find compelling representation in.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
It's true that these guys are written by a straight dude, but other than going through hard times like the rest of the cast I don't think the series depicts them as jokes or lesser to the rest of the cats. Roberts took advantage of the IDW continuity's then-established total absence of female Transformers to establish as a homorantic/aromantic society.

Maybe I would have been better off including the word "problematic" in the OP to get my point across, that the characters were there for the benefit of straight watchers, but then found a fandom in queer spaces.

Whoops. My bad. Honestly I just read the thread title and was very excited to respond with a locked-and-loaded answer.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Long form comic books makes it tricky, but still.

Northstar; Marvel Comics.

Character has been gay from the jump and isn't one of those characters where it was retconned in decades later. Sure, he suffered from the old "can't say a character is gay even though they're gay" thing given his date of creation, but he's been a gay man his entire existence in Marvel and is generally well written, and I don't think he's been under the pen of anyone other than straight writers for much, if not all of his appearances.

He's kind of an asshole though, but he's the lovable asshole.

And he's the fastest speedster on Marvel's Earth, not that bum ass Quicksilver.

OP
OP
Weiss

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Leeron is a good example of what you describe for sure. He's legitimately competent and adept but they way they write his sexuality as overbearing and aggressive as it is is really off-putting. I can enjoy him as a character but as someone who wasn't out even to myself when I watched Gurren Lagann Leeron is an example I'd point to of pushing my own thoughts on being gay further into "no I can't be that, look at the people who are gay in media! I'm not that!" which continues to be damaging.

This discussion is... a tough one. Because while there are gay characters written by straight writers that I do think are decently well done, the ones that fit your larger description: character written clearly with an uninformed straight person's cliched perception of gay identity, I just find immensely hard to enjoy even when they have positive elements to them.

Maybe this is just coming from the side of me that is still kind of bitter on media's effect on my own inability to be comfortable with my sexuality until I was in my 20s, but looking back it's just... it's really tough for me to look at characters played up on stereotypes and written without nuance, especially those who make a very big show about how aggressive or even predatory their sexual behaviors are, and be able to even enjoy the positive elements of them.

I haven't played Dragon Quest but it sounds like Sylvando does a pretty good job of this but part of that also is that -to my knowledge- the game never truly tells you he's gay. It's just that he's a queer coded character with a lot of enjoyable campiness while not actually leaning into romantic or sexual topics at all. I think cases like that are a lot easier to find compelling representation in.

This is a really good post. Even if I found value in Leeron I think it's unarguable that straight writers creating characters like him hurts queer people in the short run.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i just caught up on the adventure zone and i wanna smooch Taako but that's less of a written character and more of a spoken-word character

Oct 27, 2017

Enjoyed the show, but as unique as Max was at the time, he suffered from being on the same channel as Cam and Mitch. Max is "demonstrably queer" because he talks about kissing boys, but never engages with queerness beyond a very surface level (doesn't help that the episode where he accidentally falls into a relationship is kinda gross). Yes, it's a sitcom and he's a "wacky best friend" character, but even Penny got some good romantic stories. Maybe America wasn't ready for what this character could have been?

EDIT: That said, I would love to see this show come back and do it better.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Enjoyed the show, but as unique as Max was at the time, he suffered from being on the same channel as Cam and Mitch. Max is "demonstrably queer" because he talks about kissing boys, but never engages with queerness beyond a very surface level (doesn't help that the episode where he accidentally falls into a relationship is kinda gross). Yes, it's a sitcom and he's a "wacky best friend" character, but even Penny got some good romantic stories. Maybe America wasn't ready for what this character could have been?

EDIT: That said, I would love to see this show come back and do it better.
Max had a serious relationship in season 2. He had some random hookups here and there too, especially one in season 3 where they actually showed them in bed right after sex, but I know what you mean. It was like a "Will and Grace" situation but not nearly as bad.

MDSVeritas

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
While I haven't seen Happy Endings, I will say from your description that stories like this are a bit of a dishearteningly consistent trend I've seen in a lot of shows that are even good about not stereotyping gay characters: usually the actual *romance* of the character is played down a lot.

While I didn't bring this up earlier because it doesn't quite fit the OP's question for stereotyped gay characters by straight writers, a character that fits more of that type is Joe MacMillan from Halt and Catch fire. He's bisexual in the show and his sexuality is never a laughable thing in the writing, but the two main romances his character has through the show that actually get into things like intimacy, romance, and sex are with women, whereas his relationship with men is usually referenced only in conversation or otherwise. In order his male partners in the show are 1) A client's husband he sleeps with to get funding 2) And old lover who appears for one episode to say he's dying of AIDS and make Joe sad. 3) Another lover who gets AIDS and gives Joe an existential crisis about if he's going to die and 4) A character in name only who is brought up to show Joe has been dating people before he gets back together with the female lead.

Whereas his romances with the two female partners he has are lengthy and dive into complex relationships dynamics, real affection, and build an actual connection over multiple seasons, the gay side of him is basically a series of emotional plot tools meant to shift him in different directions until he gets back with one of the women.

Like I said, this relates less to stereotypically-portrayed gay characters like the OP was talking about, but Joe is a great example of what I think are well-intentioned straight writers who just don't stop to think that they never give a queer character much of any room to pursue a queer romance.

OP
OP
Weiss

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While I haven't seen Happy Endings, I will say from your description that stories like this are a bit of a dishearteningly consistent trend I've seen in a lot of shows that are even good about not stereotyping gay characters: usually the actual *romance* of the character is played down a lot.

While I didn't bring this up earlier because it doesn't quite fit the OP's question for stereotyped gay characters by straight writers, a character that fits more of that type is Joe MacMillan from Halt and Catch fire. He's bisexual in the show and his sexuality is never a laughable thing in the writing, but the two main romances his character has through the show that actually get into things like intimacy, romance, and sex are with women, whereas his relationship with men is usually referenced only in conversation or otherwise. In order his male partners in the show are 1) A client's husband he sleeps with to get funding 2) And old lover who appears for one episode to say he's dying of AIDS and make Joe sad. 3) Another lover who gets AIDS and gives Joe an existential crisis about if he's going to die and 4) A character in name only who is brought up to show Joe has been dating people before he gets back together with the female lead.

Whereas his romances with the two female partners he has are lengthy and dive into complex relationships dynamics, real affection, and build an actual connection over multiple seasons, the gay side of him is basically a series of emotional plot tools meant to shift him in different directions until he gets back with one of the women.

Like I said, this relates less to stereotypically-portrayed gay characters like the OP was talking about, but Joe is a great example of what I think are well-intentioned straight writers who just don't stop to think that they never give a queer character much of any room to pursue a queer romance.

Oh to be clear, I'm absolutely okay with anything in this thread along the lines of "a queer character with writing problems that you still found some kind of worth in." It doesn't necessarily just have to be a "camp gay" character like my example, that's just one expression of these ideas that have permeated.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not just for the queer rep, but because she's all-around fantastic- Bill Potts, from Doctor Who.

p04zmxss.jpg

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH

I think it just comes down to the dreaded "male gaze" in that sense. It's unfortunate but it happens pretty often, even today.

Also, "Halt and Catch Fire" has been in my backlog for a bit. I mainly put it there because I heard how good it is, plus I really like Lee Pace. How did you like the show overall?

Oct 26, 2017

Hijiyama and Okino from 13 sentinels. I don't know much about their overall reception, at least had a buddy that found them pretty bad, but their relationship really resonated with me. I identified a lot with Hijiyama's confusion in coming to terms with his bisexuality, however clumsily it's been written.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't really like Sylvando... except that he has some really great responses to saying no. But over time his story just felt weaker and weaker... and everyone else just had really strong character moments and desires, Sylvando just didn't feel honest enough or liar enough.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are a fuck ton of gay and bisexual characters on The Trailer Park Boys. Most notably Randy Bo Bandy and Jim Drunk as Fuck Lahey but there were also many of the cops and a bunch of the other side characters through out the series. Yeah the show toes the line of good taste on some of the gay jokes but its generally because everyone at the trailer park is just so damn shitty but almost no one gives an actual shit if you're gay which was rather refreshing for a series that was coming out in the early 2000's. Even trashy as they come Ricky didn't give a fuck that Randy and Jim were a couple but he sure as hell gave a shit about Jim being a crazy drunk bastard that was always fucking with him and Julian's schemes.

Randy-and-Mr-Lahey-(RL-facebook)_1473785048.jpg

MDSVeritas

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Oh to be clear, I'm absolutely okay with anything in this thread along the lines of "a queer character with writing problems that you still found some kind of worth in." It doesn't necessarily just have to be a "camp gay" character like my example, that's just one expression of these ideas that have permeated.

Cool cool! Yeah there are for sure a whole slew of ways that queer characters can have writing problems in modern media.

And actually there's one other example I thought about that really resonated with me when I was younger than, in hindsight, still didn't quite know where it wanted to go:

vlu8samgz9741.png

Kanji Tatsumi from Persona 4.

I played Persona 4 in high school, years before coming to terms with liking guys, but Kanji was one of the earliest examples of a gay (seeming) character that I felt like I just gravitated to. He actually wasn't queer coded in any traditional sense and in fact was the "tough guy" of the main cast which was super refreshing! It's also really incredible that not only does he get to be someone who wrestles with an attraction to guys, he does so in a game where the whole focus is about the positivity of coming to terms with your own feelings. You actually go through a whole dungeon that is a gay bath-house that has sprung from Kanji's subconscious, and you have to fight a shadow version of Kanji that represents all his worst fears: a highly effeminate, overly-sexual gay version of himself. And at the conclusion of that fight Kanji admits to that shadow version that they are a part of who he is.

The fact that content like that is in a game that came out in the 2000s feels crazy. It's like everything a gay kid growing up would wish to see in media: it not only addresses Kanji's sexuality, but the central pillar of the plot for a while is his ability to accept that part of himself. I can't tell you how much this plotline gave me a lot of comfort, even if it would be years before I could say the words themselves.

But...

While all that stuff above is true, like most gay characters in anime or most media in general, Kanji comes with a lot of caveats that make his story resonate a decent deal less than it really could have.

For the first thing: the game actually refuses to say Kanji is gay. Or even bisexual. And some of this could be wrapped up in the coyness you often see with anime and Japanese games regarding gay men where they never fully address it. But after all of Kanji's wonderful moments in his dungeon and accepting himself... the story suddenly gets cold feet about him being gay.

Kanji's identity crisis around thinking he's gay initially starts with his attraction to a certain boy in school. But in time you realize that boy is actually a girl named Naoto. And after that realization the game starts to go all in on pairing them up. So in the end the character who seemed to be facing down an important personal revelation about being queer is actually paired with a girl. Which is all well and good, I don't think that the game needs to pair him with a dude to get across the point about being queer. But then if you keep getting to know Kanji his personal story does this awfully frustrating thing where it pivots what you thought was the lesson Kanji was learning. You help Kanji get into knitting and doing some feminine things and he tells you at the end of that whole sequence: you know maybe he isn't actually gay after all! Maybe it had nothing to do with his sexuality at all. In fact, all his anxiety and worries about being gay were actually about him not fitting the usual norms of masculinity. oh and another male character makes fun of him for the rest of the game and refuses to sleep in a tent with him because of the confusion around Kanji's sexuality, to which Kanji dramatically re-asserts his heterosexuality. And I kinda couldn't help but just like... sigh at that.

They tried, they really did. Kanji's dungeon got so close to being a truly profound perspective on coming out and facing unfair norms and bigotry in society. But whether they thought they'd get too much pushback for committing to a gay character, or the (presumably) straight writers just didn't really know what to do and panicked at the last second, it feels like a real wasted opportunity for the character. Even if I still gained a lot from following his early storyline.

I think it just comes down to the dreaded "male gaze" in that sense. It's unfortunate but it happens pretty often, even today.

Also, "Halt and Catch Fire" has been in my backlog for a bit. I mainly put it there because I heard how good it is, plus I really like Lee Pace. How did you like the show overall?
Yeah, you're probably right on the male gaze aspect. It's a potent force even to this day in television.

As for Halt and Catch Fire, despite those quibbles with not letting Joe's gay romances breath, the show is legitimately excellent. In fact, I'd go so far as to say it's my favorite drama television show of all time. In four seasons it tells an utterly incredibly well done story about being a creative and the costs of trying to leave your mark and still love the people around you. And while I wish they had done more with it, Joe as a bisexual is still one of the most thoughtfully handled queer leads in any TV show. It's also a rare case of a show that ends truly perfectly, not overstaying its welcome or ending too short. Plus a large plot in the later seasons focuses on making video games which is just rad.

Hijiyama and Okino from 13 sentinels. I don't know much about their overall reception, at least had a buddy that found them pretty bad, but their relationship really resonated with me. I identified a lot with Hijiyama's confusion in coming to terms with his bisexuality, however clumsily it's been written.
I think this is actually a pretty solid example of this case in recent media. They're really great characters to root for and the game actually plays up their story as a real romance which is so rare in games. I identified with a lot of Hijiyama's confusion too.

I think it's definitely still a case where I have some gripes with the writing of the characters though. Okino constantly mocks and plays with Hijiyama's feelings which felt... really off putting. I think in the grand scheme of things it plays it off as Okino teasing him, but it happens all the time and to a degree that I felt really uncomfortable with some scenes. Like when Okino randomly knocks Hijiyama out and then ties him up and mocks him for "probably liking it". They shift gears and make it more of a reciprocated appreciation by the final battle but the thing that made me frustrated the most is when all the other characters who they played up romance with get together in the end, and yet Hijiyama and Okino are still doing this sort of will-they-won't they where Okino is still kind of mocking Hijiyama for being into him (even if playfully).

I really liked 90% of their writing but yeah it just makes it more frustrating when they make stumbles about it.

OP
OP
Weiss

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cool cool! Yeah there are for sure a whole slew of ways that queer characters can have writing problems in modern media.

And actually there's one other example I thought about that really resonated with me when I was younger than, in hindsight, still didn't quite know where it wanted to go:

vlu8samgz9741.png

Kanji Tatsumi from Persona 4.

I played Persona 4 in high school, years before coming to terms with liking guys, but Kanji was one of the earliest examples of a gay (seeming) character that I felt like I just gravitated to. He actually wasn't queer coded in any traditional sense and in fact was the "tough guy" of the main cast which was super refreshing! It's also really incredible that not only does he get to be someone who wrestles with an attraction to guys, he does so in a game where the whole focus is about the positivity of coming to terms with your own feelings. You actually go through a whole dungeon that is a gay bath-house that has sprung from Kanji's subconscious, and you have to fight a shadow version of Kanji that represents all his worst fears: a highly effeminate, overly-sexual gay version of himself. And at the conclusion of that fight Kanji admits to that shadow version that they are a part of who he is.

The fact that content like that is in a game that came out in the 2000s feels crazy. It's like everything a gay kid growing up would wish to see in media: it not only addresses Kanji's sexuality, but the central pillar of the plot for a while is his ability to accept that part of himself. I can't tell you how much this plotline gave me a lot of comfort, even if it would be years before I could say the words themselves.

But...

While all that stuff above is true, like most gay characters in anime or most media in general, Kanji comes with a lot of caveats that make his story resonate a decent deal less than it really could have.

For the first thing: the game actually refuses to say Kanji is gay. Or even bisexual. And some of this could be wrapped up in the coyness you often see with anime and Japanese games regarding gay men where they never fully address it. But after all of Kanji's wonderful moments in his dungeon and accepting himself... the story suddenly gets cold feet about him being gay.

Kanji's identity crisis around thinking he's gay initially starts with his attraction to a certain boy in school. But in time you realize that boy is actually a girl named Naoto. And after that realization the game starts to go all in on pairing them up. So in the end the character who seemed to be facing down an important personal revelation about being queer is actually paired with a girl. Which is all well and good, I don't think that the game needs to pair him with a dude to get across the point about being queer. But then if you keep getting to know Kanji his personal story does this awfully frustrating thing where it pivots what you thought was the lesson Kanji was learning. You help Kanji get into knitting and doing some feminine things and he tells you at the end of that whole sequence: you know maybe he isn't actually gay after all! Maybe it had nothing to do with his sexuality at all. In fact, all his anxiety and worries about being gay were actually about him not fitting the usual norms of masculinity. oh and another male character makes fun of him for the rest of the game and refuses to sleep in a tent with him because of the confusion around Kanji's sexuality, to which Kanji dramatically re-asserts his heterosexuality. And I kinda couldn't help but just like... sigh at that.

They tried, they really did. Kanji's dungeon got so close to being a truly profound perspective on coming out and facing unfair norms and bigotry in society. But whether they thought they'd get too much pushback for committing to a gay character, or the (presumably) straight writers just didn't really know what to do and panicked at the last second, it feels like a real wasted opportunity for the character. Even if I still gained a lot from following his early storyline.

Yeah, you're probably right on the male gaze aspect. It's a potent force even to this day in television.

As for Halt and Catch Fire, despite those quibbles with not letting Joe's gay romances breath, the show is legitimately excellent. In fact, I'd go so far as to say it's my favorite drama television show of all time. In four seasons it tells an utterly incredibly well done story about being a creative and the costs of trying to leave your mark and still love the people around you. And while I wish they had done more with it, Joe as a bisexual is still one of the most thoughtfully handled queer leads in any TV show. It's also a rare case of a show that ends truly perfectly, not overstaying its welcome or ending too short. Plus a large plot in the later seasons focuses on making video games which is just rad.

I think this is actually a pretty solid example of this case in recent media. They're really great characters to root for and the game actually plays up their story as a real romance which is so rare in games. I identified with a lot of Hijiyama's confusion too.

I think it's definitely still a case where I have some gripes with the writing of the characters though. Okino constantly mocks and plays with Hijiyama's feelings which felt... really off putting. I think in the grand scheme of things it plays it off as Okino teasing him, but it happens all the time and to a degree that I felt really uncomfortable with some scenes. Like when Okino randomly knocks Hijiyama out and then ties him up and mocks him for "probably liking it". They shift gears and make it more of a reciprocated appreciation by the final battle but the thing that made me frustrated the most is when all the other characters who they played up romance with get together in the end, and yet Hijiyama and Okino are still doing this sort of will-they-won't they where Okino is still kind of mocking Hijiyama for being into him (even if playfully).

I really liked 90% of their writing but yeah it just makes it more frustrating when they make stumbles about it.

Oh god thank you for bringing up Kanji. I probably should have opened the thread with him.

Flashing back to a decade ago where articles about how forward thinking Persona 4 was for including Kanji and Naoto. That sure aged well.

dglavimans

Nov 13, 2019
maxresdefault.jpg

Bon Clay from One Piece
Might genuinely be my favorite OP character. He starts off as a villain but quickly befriends the Straw Hats going as far as sacrificing his crew for them to make an escape after an amazing speech. But that isn't even the start of his greatness. He muuuuch later makes a reappearance and aids Luffy in his breakout from the world's highest security prison in an effort to rescue his brother. The struggle and badassery Bon Clay exhibits here makes him GOAT material. From his fighting prowess to his emotional support, Bon Clay is exemplifies everything an admirable character should be. Luffy might very well be dead without him in this arc. I won't spoil it, but his departure at the end of this ordeal is one of the most heartbreaking moments in the series. Luffy owes this man his life, and every reader their respect.
I am just now in this arc and when viewing the thread title Bon Clay comes to mind, love the character so far :)

Woylie

May 9, 2018
I think a lot of people latched onto stereotypical or "joke" trans characters in the 90s and early 00s because good trans representation just *did not exist*.

I'm thinking of stuff like Poison from Street Fighter or Bridget from Guilty Gear. As a young trans person, seeing trans or genderbending characters who weren't ugly or monstrous actually felt kind of groundbreaking, even if those characters were probably intended to be the butts of jokes about their gender identity. And yeah, I know Bridget isn't actually trans, but the character made an impression on me as a young trans kid grappling with my identity.

gg-bridget-622.png

MDSVeritas

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Oh god thank you for bringing up Kanji. I probably should have opened the thread with him.

Flashing back to a decade ago where articles about how forward thinking Persona 4 was for including Kanji and Naoto. That sure aged well.
Yeah, I feel so completely torn when it comes to the character of Kanji. On one hand, his story was really important to my process of coming out and seeing gay experiences in media. But on the other hand it's just such a fumbled attempt at a potentially gay character that ends up kind saying nothing at all about coming to terms with being gay after getting *so close*.

And oh yeah, I remember the Extra Credits video about Kanji and Naoto, along with the myriad of online articles. The two "queer" icons of Persona 4 that, oops, aren't LGBT after all.

OP
OP
Weiss

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait what? As a gay man I never picked up on this. Might have to dig up my old MTME comics with this in mind.

Yeah all the major romances in MTMTE and its follow up Lost Light are between male robots except two later additions to the cast, who are trans women.

At the time of MTMTE's launch it was established by Simon Furman that there were no female Transformers except for Arcee, who was forcibly turned into a woman by a mad scientist to introduce gender to Cybertron which was quietly massaged into Arcee herself actually being a trans woman who willingly took part in the experiment, and then other trans Cybertronians are introduced. It is also later established that there were female Transformers on the lost Cybertron colonies, around the introduction of Windblade.

So at the time there's only Arcee, and James Roberts realized to include romance in the series would mean that it would be exclusively between men, establishing Cybertron as a homoromantic society.

SpaceBridge

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah all the major romances in MTMTE and its follow up Lost Light are between male robots except two later additions to the cast, who are trans women.

At the time of MTMTE's launch it was established by Simon Furman that there were no female Transformers except for Arcee, who was forcibly turned into a woman by a mad scientist to introduce gender to Cybertron which was quietly massaged into Arcee herself actually being a trans woman who willingly took part in the experiment, and then other trans Cybertronians are introduced. It is also later established that there were female Transformers on the lost Cybertron colonies, around the introduction of Windblade.

So at the time there's only Arcee, and James Roberts realized to include romance in the series would mean that it would be exclusively between men, establishing Cybertron as a homoromantic society.

I used to read these books but fell off. I should get back into the TPB's. I love this.

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah, Okino is an... uh... interesting character. Some real "I got big brains I and I know it" vibes which translates into his domineering personality I guess. Definitely straddles the line between teasing-because-he-knows-he's-right-and-he-cares and going too far. There is a clever pixie dream boy charm to him in some ways.

For what it's worth, it feels like every relationship the game spends time developing on-screen have an equal amount of toxicity or weirdness. Fuyusaka and Sekigahara with their young adult romance, Yakushiji and Kurabe with some big stalker vibes. Every other couples basically develop off screen post story.

But yeah, that epilogue was a bit of a downer. I take solace in that single unambiguous datalog, you know the one. Made my heart grow three sizes, this one.