• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Even in fucking Canada we still have this monarchy. I don't know why, who gives a fuck about tradition, it's time they go.

It's so absurd to me that this is even a thing in todays world.

Monarchy should definately be killed off. It's a stupid tradition that should have died ages ago.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
For years there was talk that the Queen is nowhere near as wealthy as some assume and with the rise of the super rich I think the Royalty want to avoid the optics of being seen as 'poorer' than the guy that owns Chelsea.

killuglypop

Jan 9, 2020
The Guardian has been going hard on this for the past few days. I fucking despise the fact that taxpayers paid for stuff like a new roof on the palace and now this. None of the royals are fit for purpose

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I'm really curious what the polls are in favor of having a monarchy versus abolishing it entirely. Seems like you can just turn their estates into museums and the tourist money flow will continue.
We're the country that voted for nostalgic sovereignty and sunlit uplands at the expense of any and all logic. The poll would be a wash unfortunately.

anamika

May 18, 2018
But then you'll get people seemingly aware of and critical of imperialism, but still love the monarchy?! ?! It's exhausting.
Exactly this. I hang out in the UK politics subreddit and it's fairly liberal. And even they were outraged at Nicola Sturgeon because she criticized William and Kate going to Scotland to boost morale during a pandemic. Like, somehow Royals boosting morale was essential during a pandemic and Sturgeon was in the wrong to criticize that. Took me aback. And has me baffled.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
To think that the spanish royal family got in trouble for money laundering.

Well, the previous king is a poacher who routinely got bribes from Saudi kings (and who knows who else), killed his own brother and was appointed by a bloody dictator. Also it's more than probable he had a hand in the 81 coup but got cold feet. Money laundering is arguably the least of their problems.

And that's mild compared to our history of Bourbon monarchs. We spaniards are a stupid breed.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She wants to hide the personal wealth that is funded by taxpayers? I seriously hate the royal family and everything about it

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
What, what? How does it work?

The government does their own thing, but the queen's authority is carried by the Governor General, a largely ceremonial role that is nominated by the government but approved by the monarch. So Trudeau nominates one, Queen says yes, there you go. They technically have some powers but I'm not sure they have ever been used in Canada, and by law the Canadian government is completely severed from British Parliament. Nonetheless, while the PM is the head of the government, the Queen is the head of state, and that's why you see her on money.

The office of GG is currently absent.

You could say the existence of the link to the crown is both tradition - arguably the oldest english tradition of the country - and a political truce. The cost to further defang the monarchy in the country - both financial and political - simply isn't worth the firestorm it would cause relative to the yearly cost of supporting the crown. As long as the crown forever holds their silence in acts of government it seems unlikely anyone would go to the trouble of redoing the laws and removing them entirely.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
This is bad. But I'm going to defend the monarchy. Having a head of state 'above' regular politics is actually extremely diplomatically useful.

They can represent the U.K in a way an elected figure never can. We can shit the bed with who we elect but the Queen is kinda universally beloved by a huge amount of people around the world.

I'm not against getting rid of the monarchy at all but there ARE purposes they serve that you'd have to think about.

See that's fine in theory at least, and you're certainly correct that the Queen is overwhelmingly popular in the country, to the point that anyone proposing getting rid of her is not going to get into power. (Charles is a different matter, but whatever.)

Where this gets exceedingly uncomfortable is the idea of Queen's Consent extending to protecting the Queen's private financial interests. It's one thing to talk to her if you're changing up what the Royal Prerogative does, or impacts her public powers, it's quite another to give her the heads up when there's legislation that might impact her wealth. No one else gets that, no one else gets the chance to be consulted on legislation that affect their private interests.

On top of that, the idea of Queen's Consent has no legal basis whatsoever. There's no piece of legislation defining when it applies, it just appears in the Parliamentary rule books with no basis in law at all, asserting that it's 'required' for a wide range of legislation.

We're left with the reality that the Queen has used this 'requirement' for consent to influence legislation passed by our democratically elected legislature, while she sat on her hands when her appointed executive suspended Parliament, arguing that they could do this at any time for any length of time. Which is a seriously bad look.

This is crying out for serious reform. At the absolute minimum it needs restricting to only coming up when changes are made to the Royal Prerogative, but really that whole thing should be scrapped anyway in favour of root and branch constitutional reform.

Last edited:

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
2ad77388cd68099d931177cd21a4ebb8439de907.jpg

Fantastic

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Not cool, The Queen. Not cool. I don't begrudge her the wealth - it's on the government to tax the rich, it's not on the rich themselves - and she brings more money into the country than she takes, but the Harry and Megan solution is the future. What a couple of rockstars.

What amazes me most about the royal family is their obscene longevity. How do they live to become walking ghosts? How are they so free from the ailments of advanced age? Is it really all down to swan consumption?

slider

Nov 10, 2020
I doubt many people would visit Buckingham palace if they didn't think a real queen or king might live there. It's objectively less interesting to look at on its own than Versailles.

I've been a couple of times for investitures. It was kinda underwhelming (at least the parts where scum like me were permitted).

And, whilst all the staff were incredibly lovely and professional, I expected hushed tones from the other visitors. Nope, people were wandering around like they were in Tesco (which I'm not making any judgement on).

Timmm

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
Not cool, The Queen. Not cool. I don't begrudge her the wealth - it's on the government to tax the rich, it's not on the rich themselves - and she brings more money into the country than she takes, but the Harry and Megan solution is the future. What a couple of rockstars.

What amazes me most about the royal family is their obscene longevity. How do they live to become walking ghosts? How are they so free from the ailments of advanced age? Is it really all down to swan consumption?

1) no she doesn't
2) she shouldn't be taking any money

Oct 26, 2017

lmao you realise this thread is about her influencing government policy to retain that wealth? "brings in more money than she takes" is false. And that's ignoring that the family isn't just her.

IIRC, "Crown Estates" essentially means government land.

Still pocketing a fuck tonne of money off it

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
lmao you realise this thread is about her influencing government policy to retain that wealth? "brings in more money than she takes" is false. And that's ignoring that the family isn't just her.

I do - that was the part I told her wasn't cool, in the opening line of my great post. So now she knows.

Timmm

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
1) Really? Do you have a source on that?
2) She does ambassadorial stuff. I don't care how rich you are, you should be paid for your work. Then taxed hardcore.

1) Republic have done a report on the actual cost of the royals here, which also discusses the notion of the money that they actually "bring in" too (you have to click into the actual pdf report to see this). Most of the tourism income figures are based on the questionable premise that tourists would stop coming if the royal family were no longer in power, and also counting visits to UK heritage sites as being due to the royals. The cost figures in this report are arguably too low too, given that they appear to not include the opportunity cost of turning various royal residences into year-round tourist attractions

2) Anyone doing ambassadorial stuff should be paid sure, but this shouldn't be a hereditary job. Nor should it be extended to the rest of her family who do bugger all.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Royalty shouldn't be a thing in the 21st century. British people think the Monarchy is part of their national identity though.

SuperHans

Oct 27, 2017
What's the rational behind keeping the house of Lord's (and titles in general)? Can Hardly call them a boost to tourism.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
What's the rational behind keeping the house of Lord's (and titles in general)? Can Hardly call them a boost to tourism.

The House of Lords is held up as a secondary revising chamber with experts in a number of areas giving advise and improving legislation. In practice it's an increasingly bloated institution for rewarding political friends. Getting rid of it entirely would open up the question of what to replace it with, which would be quite the constitutional change.

Titles are meant to be an award for good public works, but again it's increasingly become a method to reward friends and donors.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Bury the royals forever for their protecting of that rancid creature Prince Andrew. I wonder if they're using taxpayer money there too for that bastard's legal fees.