• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
Quebec Premier François Legault said Tuesday the province would be imposing a health tax on Quebecers who refuse to get their first dose of a COVID-19 vaccine in the coming weeks.

Legault did not say when the tax would take effect or how much it would cost, but he did say he wanted it to be significant enough to act as incentive to get vaccinated — more than 50 or 100 dollars, he added. Legault said details would be revealed "in the coming weeks."

Source
About time!

They previously announced that liquor/cannabis stores would require a vaccinal passport starting on January 18th.

Hopefully it's only the begining!

AlexMeloche

Oct 27, 2017
Antivaxx were already comparing pro-vax people to nazis, can't wait to see what they'll say about this....

Smoshow

Oct 25, 2017
I just moved to Quebec so I know little about it's politics. With that said, good.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Hope the stick is effective.

Stateside, I'd be interested in insurance companies announcing that surcharges/co-pays for unvaccinated people in hospitals will be X percent higher. There can still be some waiver system, but we're a country that can only think about dollars and cents.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I can't imagine this happening where i live. Unvaccinated people here feel like they are treated like the Jews in the Holocaust because they couldn't get in a bar for a couple of weeks.. Yeah not even kidding. Some even put yellow stars on their clothes.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Good. I had enough of these idiots whining about freedom and dictatorship, bothering kids at school and hospital employees because they take their "news" from nobodies on Facebook, Youtube or Twitter and then making up 50% of the hospitalizations despite being 10% of the population.

Still won't stop the rich ones though, I guess.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Liquor/Cannabis stores have been requiring proof of vaccine here for months, and legit, there are plenty of people who have gone and gotten vaccinated for that reason alone. I remember I was in the pot shop a couple months ago and some girl walks in who wasn't vaccinated, and they told her she can't come in unless she gets her shot. She aksed right away "okay, where can I go get this shot" (yes, some people are that oblivious), they pointed her towards the walk-in clinic and she literally started walking right in that direction.

I'm all for taxing the shit of anti-vaxxers too. Whatever it takes to push them over that line is worth it imo.

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
Good. I had enough of these idiots whining about freedom and dictatorship, bothering kids at school and hospital employees because they take their "news" from nobodies on Facebook, Youtube or Twitter and then making up 50% of the hospitalizations despite being 10% of the population.

Still won't stop the rich ones though, I guess.

For real. Couple weeks ago there was a demonstration outside one of our clinics where parents were getting kids vaxxed. And they were screaming at the parents with megaphones they were murderers and that the kids were going to die. Like fuck off. Im so sick of these twats.

I hope its successful and i hope the rest of the provinces follow suit. Im glad its a small minority in this country...but goddamn its such a vocal annoying one.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
User Banned (3 Days): Concern Trolling
Hopefully it's only the begining!
I mean, I'm sure this will lead to healthcare taxes against other "undesirable" people which we should not have. Fat folks & disabled folks will be next, since we're already considered acceptable fodder for the sake of the economy.

Goldenroad

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I mean, I'm sure this will lead to healthcare taxes against other "undesirable" people which we should not have. Fat folks & disabled folks will be next, since we're already considered acceptable fodder for the sake of the economy.

Being fat and disabled are not contagious viruses. No one would stand for that. Quit it with the "slippery slope" shit. People need to get vaccinated or else face reprucussions.

Grimsen

Oct 25, 2017

that's garbage antivax rethoric . You should be ashamed of yourself.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Smokers pay higher premiums, alcoholics pay higher premiums... there are multiple examples of people paying higher insurance rates due to their life choices in the United States so this wouldn't be unprecedented.

You can't be on an organ recipient list if you aren't fully vaccinated. Shit has consequences. Go cry

Tomacco

Oct 27, 2017
You mean like all the taxes on Tobacco? Good!

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Not sure how they'll be collecting the bills, will they send bailiffs on non-payers? If so, I hope they milk 'em dry enough so that keeping track of all of these non-vaxxed non-payers isn't more expensive than the money they bring in, lol

ffframe

alt account
Banned
Nov 29, 2021
I get the sentiment but mind you gleefully saying you want more limitations for the unvaccinated just gives them more ammo to victimize themselves.
If they're able to get a free vaccine but choose not to and continue to be a burden on society and our health care system, two years into this, they deserve more consequences. It's past time for them to do their part if they want to continue to participate in society.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Smokers pay higher premiums, alcoholics pay higher premiums... there are multiple examples of people paying higher insurance rates due to their life choices in the United States so this wouldn't be unprecedented.

I don't believe these in particular are good things. We should be helping people with addictions and not punishing them.

This is, of course, different from a vaccine tax.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Not as hard line as most of you, but there is no way I'd be for this. Especially on a vaccine that still makes everyone a spreader.

Mind you I;m only against those that think they're a rebel for not following guidelines.

Goldenroad

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Not sure how they'll be collecting the bills, will they send bailiffs on non-payers? If so, I hope they milk 'em dry enough so that keeping track of all of these non-vaxxed non-payers isn't more expensive than the money they bring in, lol

Are you Canadian? They generally don't send bailiff's to collect taxes here. It'll be a line item on your provincial income tax. And they know if you are vaxxed or not, so if you check the wrong box you're going to end up paying that "unvaxxed tax" + face tax fraud charges which will probably be significantly higher than the tax being levied in the first place.

ffframe

alt account
Banned
Nov 29, 2021
Not as hard line as most of you, but there is no way I'd be for this. Especially on a vaccine that still makes everyone a spreader.

Mind you I;m only against those that think they're a rebel for not following guidelines.
The vaccine doesn't "make you a spreader," (nor does it prevent transmission) it reduces the likelihood you'll need an ICU bed if you do catch it. Which in turn reduces the strain on the health care system.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
They're putting an extreme burden on the health care system with their stubborn refusal to get vaccinated, so it's only fair.

I can see a slippery slope argument in this, but critical times call for critical measures.

Mar 11, 2020
I feel like this is good, but absolutely should be taxed on percentage income imo. Don't just make it so rich people can just pay their way out

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I don't believe these in particular are good things. We should be helping people with addictions and not punishing them.

This is, of course, different from a vaccine tax.
While I understand your sentiment, there are lots of programs for helping people battle addiction. Lung cancer and cirrhosis are costly diseases that leave everyone paying more as a result.

I'd much rather have universal health care but until we get there, those things that are easily preventable drive up Healthcare costs for everyone.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Are you Canadian? They generally don't send bailiff's to collect taxes here. It'll be a line item on your provincial income tax. And they know if you are vaxxed or not, so if you check the wrong box you're going to end up paying that "unvaxxed tax" + face tax fraud charges which will probably be significantly higher than the tax being levied in the first place.
I am Canadian. But I watch/read my news in French and they didn't specify if it was a tax or a fine (they called it a "contribution"), so it was a bit unclear on how it would be collected. A line on the income tax filing might make sense, but not everyone files for taxes (very low income people don't have to, I believe?) so while it's likely to be that, I'm not sure if that'll necessarily be the case.

In any case, I wasn't entirely serious about the bailiffs, but ultimately refusing to pay taxes can result in something like the government coming in to seize your assets, lol

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I'm concerned about the safety of people who administer the vaccinations once some of the really hardcore antivaxxers feel pressed to get their shot....

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
that's garbage antivax rethoric . You should be ashamed of yourself.
Hmm, no. It's not. And I'm not ashamed of myself. I'm a fat, disabled person who has to navigate healthcare which is already fraught. I've spent the last 22 months holed up in my home, with very little time seeing my friends & family. I've gotten my shots, literally as soon as I could, because not doing so is probably a death sentence for me. All the while hearing that people, like me, with pre-existing conditions are acceptable deaths. I'm pretty fucking tired of all of this, and I want it all to end. But this isn't going to help it to end. This isn't the right lever to pull, as great as it feels.

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, no. It's not. And I'm not ashamed of myself. I'm a fat, disabled person who has to navigate healthcare which is already fraught. I've spent the last 22 months holed up in my home, with very little time seeing my friends & family. I've gotten my shots, literally as soon as I could, because not doing so is probably a death sentence for me. All the while hearing that people, like me, with pre-existing conditions are acceptable deaths. I'm pretty fucking tired of all of this, and I want it all to end. But this isn't going to help it to end. This isn't the right lever to pull, as great as it feels.

Getting more people vaccinated is always, always the right lever to pull. We can only hope more provinces do this (they probably won't). Let's do mandatory shots in schools next, like we had for the rest of the things we needed to enter schools for (Hep, MMR, etc)

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
Getting more people vaccinated is always, always the right lever to pull. We can only hope more provinces do this (they probably won't). Let's do mandatory shots in schools next, like we had for the rest of the things we needed to enter schools for (Hep, MMR, etc)
Yeah, getting more people vaccinated is the right lever to pull. Punitive punishments like this are not the best way to get that done. I'm fine with mandatory shots to get into schools, on planes, in bars, etc. I'm totally against financial punishments like this, again, even though the thought feels good.

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, getting more people vaccinated is the right lever to pull. Punitive punishments like this are not the best way to get that done. I'm fine with mandatory shots to get into schools, on planes, in bars, etc. I'm totally against financial punishments like this, again, even though the thought feels good.

The smaller sticks haven't worked on these people, so hitting them in the wallet with a larger stick is most certainly going to increase the amount of people who go out and get vaccinated.

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of my friend who's got a crazy girlfriend, who scared away his hole family is ... an antivax. So is his girlfriend.
I hope this is what pushes him and her to get vaxxed. they are on a tight budget.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Do you live in Quebec? Have you seen all the laws surrounding tobacco? Have you seen how a pack of cigarettes looks here?

I do not and I was speaking about the United States as the poster mentioned it. Though, I don't think anyone should punish those with substance abuse issues.

There are tons of programs to help people curb their addictions.

I'm glad! But as we know, sobriety isn't a straight line and it's not instant.

While I understand your sentiment, there are lots of programs for helping people battle addiction. Lung cancer and cirrhosis are costly diseases that leave everyone paying more as a result.

I'd much rather have universal health care but until we get there, those things that are easily preventable drive up Healthcare costs for everyone.

Battling addictions is hard. Alcoholics, for example, often relapse. We shouldn't punish them for it. Now, transplants is a harder issue because there are only a limited number of organs so I understand why people with drinking abuse issues may not get organs.

The problem is this would include things like Diabetes which is costly and people have a hard time controlling it because they may make poor dieting choices.

Last edited: