• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

guru-guru

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a rock climber, so my training consists of a lot of body weight exercises. Unfortunately, I injured my wrist last year. It's mostly recovered, but if I do push-ups my wrist immediately gets sore.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
focus on compound exercises, that's really what body weight is good for. pull ups/push ups/squats/dips/planks. I would add burpees because they are great cardiovascular exercises, some good stretching, and then maybe chin-ups for that extra burn on the biceps and rows for the upper back.
Do you happen to have any recommendations for videos that demonstrate the correct way to do those exercises? There's tons on YT, but I'm not sure which ones are legit.

Edit:
Need to sub this thread. A lot of great info here.

OP
OP

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
After reading some of the comments here I'm inspired, gonna try to do 100 today.

At 32 so far, 2 sets of 16

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I have such a huge urge to start running, and to do push-ups and pull-ups daily - but I don't.

At least I've started to eat my meals on set (same) times each day, and I'm keeping track of my intake of calories in the myfitnesspal app for a while now.

I'll try running and do exercises starting tomorrow.

Last edited:

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
If you live an apartment consider running stairs and stay on your trip toes. Underrated exercise.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
asking for a friend: how do you get better as push-ups when you literally cannot do a single one?

Someone posted earlier how to do assisted pushups. Basically, do the same form as a pushup, but starting on your knees instead of toes: https://www.self.com/story/upper-body-exercises-to-try-if-you-cant-do-a-push-up

If that's still too hard, you stand against a wall and push off until you can do knee ones: https://www.healthline.com/health/fitness-exercise/wall-pushups#4

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do you happen to have any recommendations for videos that demonstrate the correct way to do those exercises? There's tons on YT, but I'm not sure which ones are legit.
Edit:
Need to sub this thread. A lot of great info here.
someone already mentioned it, Calisthenicmovement is a pretty legit channel. This one in particular is gold

you can check this reddit routine, they have tons of links for each exercise and progression (https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/kb/recommended_routine)

Last edited:

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
While I definitely enjoy calisthenics such as push-ups (flat, incline or decline), pull-ups (wife-grip or barrow-grip), and dips, I cannot deny that this shit is just not enough for me.

I thrive off of weight lifting and I often would incorporate weights into my calisthenics, such as a plate on my back for push-ups or between my ankles for dips. But I don't have that option anymore and I feel miserable. I never have the same sense of accomplishment or tell myself I had a good workout when I'm doing calisthenics at home. I can't imagine how much muscle mass I will have lost before I get back to the gym again.

Have you tried lengthening the lever arm?

Push ups with hands closer to your hips
GregariousHonoredArcherfish-size_restricted.gif

Planche
f806600499e86ad48c2ed4f8bf62a97e.jpg

Front lever/Back lever
Animated-GIF-downsized_large-3-.gif

Lever rows
main-qimg-36f709f368f48e03cd7da769a0cc0957

Handstand pushups
9776d9dc1b0a6ebbe1fe65f169ce7c53.gif

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Are these good or bad? I have some but never used them but I need some exercise so I wonder if I'm better off with these or not?

Owl

Oct 25, 2017
California
For anyone that wants to get into a good body weight fitness routine at home, I've been following this guide: https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/kb/recommended_routine

You only need a pull up bar, and no other equipment. The good thing about the guide is it has progressions for each workout, for example, if you can't do a normal push-up, then start with sets of vertical push-ups on a wall until you're strong enough to do sets of normal ones.

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
I do around 1 hour walk inside the house (6.6k steps)

And I'm doing Knee push ups (49 percent of my weight). Can only do 5 repetitions and 5 sets so far

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
For anyone that wants to get into a body weight fitness routine at home, I've been following this guide: https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/kb/recommended_routine

You only need a pull up bar, and no other equipment. The good thing about the guide is it has progression so you can go as easy or hard as fits your fitness level.

Great routine, can't recommend it enough. For those looking for a bigger challenge, the later progressions have you using parallel bars or rings as well, but the basic routine is doable without.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've literally never been able to do a pull-up even once in my life, regardless of my level of fitness. Don't know what it is

Start by cheating. Get a sturdy chair and sit in front of the pull up bar and rest one foot on top of the backrest and use as much leg strength as needed to help yourself over the bar. Do a couple sets of 5 to 10 reps a day and slowly decrease the amount of weight you put on the chair. You should be able to knock a couple out using your own upper body strength in like a month or two. Start light and simple, build up your strength and stamina while working on your technique and you'll have it in no time.

Elliott

Oct 25, 2017
Wait are ya'll who can hit 100 achieving that in increments throughout the day or all at once? Because the latter seems insane to me.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lmao wide-grip and narrow-grip

Also the conversation is always centered around upper-body development, which is annoying. Legs are hella important, even more so. But you never hear anyone talk about squats or some other shit at home. And while I can do squats at home, there's a huge difference between doing them with your own body weight versus several hundred pounds. Another exercise I can't do with satisfaction unless I'm at the gym. Could I pop off and do 300 squats with my own body weight? Sure, but that shit isn't satisfying.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait are ya'll who can hit 100 achieving that in increments throughout the day or all at once? Because the latter seems insane to me.

If you're in decent shape a hundred spread out over the day isn't crazy. Just think about doing 6 push ups every half hour when you a short chance to do them and you'll have 96 by the time you go to bed.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have you tried lengthening the lever arm?

Push ups with hands closer to your hips
GregariousHonoredArcherfish-size_restricted.gif

Planche
f806600499e86ad48c2ed4f8bf62a97e.jpg

Front lever/Back lever
Animated-GIF-downsized_large-3-.gif

Lever rows
main-qimg-36f709f368f48e03cd7da769a0cc0957

Handstand pushups
9776d9dc1b0a6ebbe1fe65f169ce7c53.gif

Just a fair warning but some of these exercises can be absolute MURDER on things like your rotator cuffs. Be very careful when you start trying to go crazy with certain exercises.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
90% do them wrong.

You are welcome.

This is why i stopped doing them completley. I use to do them as supersets to get some chest workout inbetween and doing them wrong(with elbows slightly flaring out) i felt alot more chest activation, doing them properly hits the triceps alot more than chest and at that point there so much better exercises to train triceps with dumbells. But if you don't have equipment they are great exercise.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

Right now I'm at 70 all at once. However, all my increments are done within 10 minutes. I mix it up depending on the day. Sometimes I'll do something simple like 25 x 4 or something like 10, 20, 30, 40. Lately, I've started to do more than 100 though.

Deleted member 8741

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Also the conversation is always centered around upper-body development, which is annoying. Legs are hella important, even more so. But you never hear anyone talk about squats or some other shit at home. And while I can do squats at home, there's a huge difference between doing them with your own body weight versus several hundred pounds. Another exercise I can't do with satisfaction unless I'm at the gym. Could I pop off and do 300 squats with my own body weight? Sure, but that shit isn't satisfying.
I love squats. My focus for years was Olympic lifting so I was doing squats 5x a week. Back squats, front squats, cleans, snatches, overhead squats, deadlifts.

Really hard to substitute body weight movements for that. I can do air squats for days and it's just not the same thing.

There are some band workouts you can do for legs that work well though.

Deleted member 8741

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

100 really isn't that wild. Frankly, there's a point where it more about training for the movement than being a monster. At some point it becomes more of a muscle endurance exercise than a strength building one - meaning you are doing more of a cardio/strength style movement. Most movements see a lot of decreasing returns when you go about about 15 reps.

Generally if you got about 12-15 reps of any movement you want to make it heavier - not just do more. There are some exceptions and it's not bad per se to do a ton - it just doesn't transfer to increased weight or even muscle growth.

Also there are other factors. 6'2 muscular guy at 210lbs are going to have to put in a lot more effort for a pull-up than a 5'8 skinnier, rock climber muscle build at 160lbs. Some movements are just harder if you're heavier/taller. It's why you don't see a lot of really tall gymnast.

I know a guy that benches 1/2 of what I do and 1/3 of what I squat but can do pull-ups forever. He's fit, but weighs probably 40lbs less than me. Just cranks our pull-ups like it's nothing.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017

I love squats. My focus for years was Olympic lifting so I was doing squats 5x a week. Back squats, front squats, cleans, snatches, overhead squats, deadlifts.

Really hard to substitute body weight movements for that. I can do air squats for days and it's just not the same thing.

There are ways to workout your legs at home though. Stair runs, jumping squats, band exercises, various lunge movements, hill sprints (massively underrated IMO) etc. If I do squats I could probably go all day but with the leg exercises I do my legs are jelly in no time.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017

I've been pretty interested in Olympic lifting from a spectator's perspective and I've considered trying it out but it seems like a big investment

also I'd probably break something

Deleted member 8741

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There are ways to workout your legs at home though. Stair runs, jumping squats, band exercises, various lunge movements, hill sprints (massively underrated IMO) etc. If I do squats I could probably go all day but with the leg exercises I do my legs are jelly in no time.
Sure but bands just don't cut it for raw strength when you're trying to substitute a 385lbs back squat.

I do all those other movements too - they're great. But feeling like jelly and muscle growth for strength aren't always the same thing. I do still think they help and I'm a big fan of hill sprints for muscle growth as well!

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Sure but bands just don't cut it for raw strength when you're trying to substitute a 385lbs back squat.

I do all those other movements too - they're great. But feeling like jelly and muscle growth for strength aren't always the same thing. I do still think they help and I'm a big fan of hill sprints for muscle growth as well!

That's true of all gym exercises they simply can't be replicated outside of the gym in the same way. I'm just saying that the relative difficulty of something like body weight squats doesn't mean much as there are much more difficult alternatives. Maybe not to replace a 385 pound back squat but then again there are other benefits that a barbell squat won't give you.

Personally I've found my legs actually hold up better than my upper body when I can't make the gym.

Edit: the big thing for me is back exercises which seem very difficult at home (especially with no pull up bar). I've got a few but they just don't seem to as much as I'd like, have to keep working on that.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I wouldn't even bother with the bands, getting some items like a weighted vest, weighted wrist and ankle bands and the like can easily add over a hundred pounds of weight onto your body. It won't be matching what a squat can get you but with the right exercises like box jumps you can get a pretty hardcore workout in. Personally I find normal squats a rather tedious affair even if I did do them a lot when I was younger.

Deleted member 8741

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't even bother with the bands, getting some items like a weighted vest, weighted wrist and ankle bands and the like can easily add over a hundred pounds of weight onto your body. It won't be matching what a squat can get you but with the right exercises like box jumps you can get a pretty hardcore workout in. Personally I find normal squats a rather tedious affair even if I did do them a lot when I was younger.

I guess I'm thinking for people doing multiple bodyworkouts the bands are some of the most versatile. Weighted vests are good for pushups/pullups and squats though! I know some people like them for running too, but I'm against it. It jacks up your form and damages your knees and hasn't been proved to actually help you run better.

You can do banded step ups on a box and it's pretty gnarly if you get enough resistance.

Box jumps are good for explosive energy. But I really don't like when people do box jumps for speed - very injury prone exercise. Box jump up then STEP DOWN, if you're going to do them. Don't bounce down if you value your ankles.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'm thinking for people doing multiple bodyworkouts the bands are some of the most versatile. Weighted vests are good for pushups/pullups and squats though! I know some people like them for running too, but I'm against it. It jacks up your form and damages your knees and hasn't been proved to actually help you run better.

You can do banded step ups on a box and it's pretty gnarly if you get enough resistance.

Box jumps are good for explosive energy. But I really don't like when people do box jumps for speed - very injury prone exercise. Box jump up then STEP DOWN, if you're going to do them. Don't bounce down if you value your ankles.

I think my issue with bands was I went through them so quickly. I'd be breaking them every couple months and having to buy more but I was also pretty grueling with my workouts when I was using bands so that was probably part of the reason why.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
I typically aim for anywhere from 200-320 total reps twice a week on push ups.

I'll do about 4 sets of 80-110 reps:

Regular for 20-30 reps
Incline for 20-30 reps
Banded 20-30 reps
Close-Grip 20-30 reps.

The volume sounds insane, and that's because it is but I've always been one for volume, even if it doesn't make much sense. I guess I'm trying to compensate for the lack of strength equipment I have by simply focusing on hypertrophy and maintenance for the time being. I do, however, think it is very necessary to counterbalance any push work with pull work too to negate any imbalances. Also, throwing at lot a legs to reduce any muscle loss from lack of the ability to back squat or leg press anything heavy.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I typically aim for anywhere from 200-320 total reps twice a week on push ups.

I'll do about 4 sets of 80-110 reps:

Regular for 20-30 reps
Incline for 20-30 reps
Banded 20-30 reps
Close-Grip 20-30 reps.

The volume sounds insane, and that's because it is but I've always been one for volume, even if it doesn't make much sense. I guess I'm trying to compensate for the lack of strength equipment I have by simply focusing on hypertrophy and maintenance for the time being. I do, however, think it is very necessary to counterbalance any push work with pull work too to negate any imbalances. Also, throwing at lot a legs to reduce any muscle loss from lack of the ability to back squat or leg press anything heavy.

I find pull exercises harder to do at home. What ones are you mostly doing?

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
I find pull exercises harder to do at home. What ones are you mostly doing?

Like most, I would recommend pull-ups. However, I don't actually have a pull-up bar at home, and instead have replaced them with high volume rows, which can be done with a dumbbell or a bar of any kind. I would also promote the use of resistance bands and pull against a strong counterweight. The reps should ideally be slow and concentrated, just for sake of quality imo. You could also use any bar, dumbbell or band to perform goodmornings, which will help with your lower back. Resistance bands can also be used to effectively and safely target all heads of the shoulder too. :P

Sage Anahata

Banned
Oct 6, 2019
90% do them owrong.

You are welcome.

Thank you 🙂

I'd argue that adding yoga on top is essential. Flexibility + balance exercises all in a low impact setting.. only type of exercise that wipes me out during but makes me feel rejuvenated afterwards. My ankle problems disappeared after yoga

And this. Yoga is also a great entry to traditional seated meditation, especially the softer more relaxed poses (sometimes known as Yin yoga).

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Absolutely OP, that's literally the only thing I do. 50 push ups a day. And bike when I can but now I dont due to the Covid situation. Never been a gym guy.

Nov 1, 2017
You can easily hit 100 push ups in one session once youre experienced with them... Like 5 sets of 20 reps with enough rest in between

However it is much easier if you do the grease the groove method. I do sets of 10-15 throughout the day with a lot of rest between, like 5-15 minutes up to an hour or more. You can very easily break 100 total that way and is imo the best way to train pushups/pullups... You just have to remember to do them lol

Deleted member 8741

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You can easily hit 100 push ups in one session once youre experienced with them... Like 5 sets of 20 reps with enough rest in between

However it is much easier if you do the grease the groove method. I do sets of 10-15 throughout the day with a lot of rest between, like 5-15 minutes up to an hour or more. You can very easily break 100 total that way and is imo the best way to do train pushups/pullups.
I think he's asking if people are doing it like 100 nonstop. Or for sets.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I can't ever even do a push-up so I've never been able to use them to better my fitness.

195 lbs and 6'2"