• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have a goto tortilla recipe? I want something that's very soft, pliable, and chewy.

So far, I've been doing roughly:

1/2 cup flour
1/2 tbsp lard
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/16 cup water (roughly 3/4 of 1/4 cup)

They're ending up a bit crispier and a bit less chewy than I'd like. I'm not sure if I just need to let them rest a bit longer, or knead them more, or maybe cut some fat and add more water. Would a drier tortilla be a sign of under-hydration? My place is fairly cool (usually 19-20C), so maybe I need to account for that better.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
here is my morning contribution
9DyELXh.jpg

purg3

Oct 25, 2017
ailYtHm.jpg

Quarantine Cornbread and just some basic no knead crusty bread. Cornbread turned out excellent. Did the "better" Jiffy recipe by adding 1 cup of sour cream along with veg oil and about 2 Tbs of sugar.

jUkEp1u.jpg

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Just took my first sourdough out of the oven. Third loaf ever. I hope the crumb is nice. The next 2 hour wait will be agonizing.

UN6FMPz.jpg
tN15W1c.jpg

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone use an enameled Dutch oven? My enamel has seriously darkened after 3 loaves. I think it's ruining it. I think I'll just get a combo Non enamelled Dutch oven for future loaves.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Well weeks in with no yeast, I've resorted to a tasty alternative (which may have been posted here elsewhere, not sure)

Bread in the slow-cooker! It's actually super moist and tasty, with a nice crunch on the bottom. Not sourdough... but very edible.

Bacon & Cheese Bread in the slow cooker

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
The enamel is fine. It'll clean up with some regular cooking.

Ok good to know.

I ordered this in any case, for future loaves:

Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron 2-In-1 Multi Cooker - 3-Quart Dutch Oven and Skillet Lid Set Oven Safe Cookware - Use As Dutch Oven and Frying Pan - Indoor and Outdoor Use - Grill, Stovetop, Induction Safe: Amazon.ca: Home & Kitchen

Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron 2-In-1 Multi Cooker - 3-Quart Dutch Oven and Skillet Lid Set Oven Safe Cookware - Use As Dutch Oven and Frying Pan - Indoor and Outdoor Use - Grill, Stovetop, Induction Safe: Amazon.ca: Home & Kitchen

Will be much easier to deal with lower walls since I can cook with it upside down.

I also got 2x 6" bannetons. I really underestimated how small 6" would be. I think it'll be good for maybe 150g of flour at most. Which I guess is a nice size for 2 people for a meal.

Cherubae

Oct 31, 2017
Beaverton, Oregon, USA
So I gave Bo Lo Bao a try using the flour in my bin (which might or might not have been King Arthur). The bread baked, but it did not taste like what I remember. Though, it looked closer to what I was expecting. The dough was incredibly sticky and took a lot of work, so not quite right. I did find some bread flour on my last shopping trip, so will be given that a try on my next attempt, plus using a different dough recipe but the topping recipe from this latest attempt, minus the egg wash (which gave it a really eggy taste)

sg2fyfR.jpg

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man. It turned out soooooo good. I was worried since the dough didn't have much structure but it really sprung and it's super light. Much better than I expected for my first sourdough attempt.

UQVY0lZ.jpg

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slight necro bump, but does anyone use a Staub 4qt cocotte to bake their bread?

I was hoping if so, you could take a measurement of the top opening for me.

I have a Staub 5qt tall cocotte, and I'm wondering if it's the same width as the 4qt regular cocotte. I'm running into the problem of not being able to gently place my bread inside the cocotte since I don't want to touch the hot side (since it's pre-heated), and I think slightly dropping it is part of the problem with it deflating :/

Bonus: pics of my walnut levain today (no crumb yet, it's cooling)

J9cNK5z.jpg

g7637ec.jpg

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Endless flour, zero yeast in my city.

It took me about 15 stores to actually find a few packets.

Then I made pizza.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
My wife's continued her sourdough kick. This week we had a sourdough lumberjane loaf with apricots, pecans, and poppy seeds. Made a fantastic grilled cheese.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Made pizza for the first, and second time this week.

First batch...I tried to speed up the rise and fermentation in a warm microwave (beside a cup of steaming water), but although the dough looked pretty good, it tasted like usual pizzeria dough.

Second batch, I went 70% hydration, 3% salt, 0.5% yeast, 10% sourdough starter. Let it bulk rise during the day then kept it in the fridge overnight. I let it proof for 2 hours before cooking it in a cast iron skillet on the stove and finishing it on broil in the oven. It was soooo light and fluffy and the taste was divine. I really need fresh mozz and basil to lighten up the pizza. Pizza dough seemed intimidating at first, but now I realize it's even easier than bread. After my second attempt my dough ended up better than 99% of the pizza joints in my city (Ottawa).

I have a second dough ball in the fridge...can't wait to see how it changes over the course of the week. The sourdough should start become a bit more prominent.

image0.jpg

image0.jpg

This was just with AP flour. I'm curious what difference 00 might make.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
anyone tried making japanese bread? I love how nice it makes toast but its quite 'springy' so clearly different from regular bread.

Also who uses a stand mixer for kneading or do you mostly all just knead by hand?

OP
OP
infinitebento

infinitebento

Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Well weeks in with no yeast, I've resorted to a tasty alternative (which may have been posted here elsewhere, not sure)

Bread in the slow-cooker! It's actually super moist and tasty, with a nice crunch on the bottom. Not sourdough... but very edible.

Bacon & Cheese Bread in the slow cooker

when you have no yeast, make a starter! its natural yeast.

Oh man. It turned out soooooo good. I was worried since the dough didn't have much structure but it really sprung and it's super light. Much better than I expected for my first sourdough attempt.

UQVY0lZ.jpg

Killer aeration! Sometimes doughs with higher hydration can be sticky and seem like they wont work but then surprise you in the end :)

Endless flour, zero yeast in my city.

It took me about 15 stores to actually find a few packets.

Then I made pizza.

make a starter!

...I was not. I should do this shouldn't I?

yeah definitely lol

First batch...I tried to speed up the rise and fermentation in a warm microwave (beside a cup of steaming water), but although the dough looked pretty good, it tasted like usual pizzeria dough.

Second batch, I went 70% hydration, 3% salt, 0.5% yeast, 10% sourdough starter. Let it bulk rise during the day then kept it in the fridge overnight. I let it proof for 2 hours before cooking it in a cast iron skillet on the stove and finishing it on broil in the oven. It was soooo light and fluffy and the taste was divine. I really need fresh mozz and basil to lighten up the pizza. Pizza dough seemed intimidating at first, but now I realize it's even easier than bread. After my second attempt my dough ended up better than 99% of the pizza joints in my city (Ottawa).

I have a second dough ball in the fridge...can't wait to see how it changes over the course of the week. The sourdough should start become a bit more prominent.

image0.jpg

image0.jpg

00 is finer but has less protein content than AP so it might alter your gluten structure

your pizza looks reeeeaally nice tho !

anyone tried making japanese bread? I love how nice it makes toast but its quite 'springy' so clearly different from regular bread.

Also who uses a stand mixer for kneading or do you mostly all just knead by hand?

Ive made it a few times. Its pretty fun to use for various applications.

I do all my breads by hand but you can use a mixer. Just gotta make sure you do window tests and always check your gluten structure (depending on the bread)

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
when you have no yeast, make a starter! its natural yeast.

Killer aeration! Sometimes doughs with higher hydration can be sticky and seem like they wont work but then surprise you in the end :)

make a starter!

yeah definitely lol

00 is finer but has less protein content than AP so it might alter your gluten structure

your pizza looks reeeeaally nice tho !

Ive made it a few times. Its pretty fun to use for various applications.

I do all my breads by hand but you can use a mixer. Just gotta make sure you do window tests and always check your gluten structure (depending on the bread)
I tried the starter, it didn't take for whatever reason! I'll give it a go at some point though.

Luckily I found a big packet of yeast online!

OP
OP
infinitebento

infinitebento

Oct 25, 2017
chicago
I fucked up my starter and it's been cooking for like weeks now lol

It expands when I feed it so I know it's not dead.

if you cant tend to your starter every day, feed it and keep it in the fridge to slow the proteins from eating the flour too quickly. Feed it every 2-3 days to keep it active enough for use.

I tried the starter, it didn't take for whatever reason! I'll give it a go at some point though.

Luckily I found a big packet of yeast online!

start with 100g flour (ap or bread or whole wheat, dealers choice) , add 100g water (60-70 degrees)

mix it and let it sit for 48 hours.
dump out all of it but 1 tablespoon (20g) worth, feed it 100g water and flour again.
now move forward with feeding it once per day for 1 week straight.

it should be active after this process.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
if you cant tend to your starter every day, feed it and keep it in the fridge to slow the proteins from eating the flour too quickly. Feed it every 2-3 days to keep it active enough for use.

start with 100g flour (ap or bread or whole wheat, dealers choice) , add 100g water (60-70 degrees)

mix it and let it sit for 48 hours.
dump out all of it but 1 tablespoon (20g) worth, feed it 100g water and flour again.
now move forward with feeding it once per day for 1 week straight.

it should be active after this process.
I think I didn't discard so that played into it! I'm at home all week so I'm going to try that for sure.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I was having difficulty keeping it within optimal temperature. Then I might have messed up feeding it the correct flour. I feed it everyday and I'm just not sure how long it's gonna be before it's ready. I did test it today and it sank.

OP
OP
infinitebento

infinitebento

Oct 25, 2017
chicago
I was having difficulty keeping it within optimal temperature. Then I might have messed up feeding it the correct flour. I feed it everyday and I'm just not sure how long it's gonna be before it's ready. I did test it today and it sank.

if you cant keep it at room temp (between 60-70 degrees) try to feed it with slightly warmer water to encourage growth. Ideally between 75-80 degrees but no hotter.

my current apartment is pretty cold all the time but i feed my starters with warmer water and they remain active just fine.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

image0.jpg

image0.jpg

That looks damn tasty and great.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Warm water will speed things up, but generally I find the starter pretty resilient. Feed it, put a rubber band at the current level of the starter, and move the rubber band up as it rises, as soon as it starts falling you know it's reached it's peak. In a colder environment it just takes a bit longer. I'll just put it in the fridge at or before that point and it's perfectly usable over the next few days or even up to a week. I just don't use it without feeding if it starts developing brew on top.

I also started adding 50% whole grain wheat to my starter, which seems to help my bleached AP flour quite a bit.

scurker

Oct 25, 2017
I've been making pizza dough for years, so that's nothing new to me but I've been starting to get into the bagel game. The only problem I'm having is the kids are eating them too quick so I don't get as many.

rkCXF7Cl.jpg

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have a good bun recipe, like a good ciabatta or Portuguese bun? I have gotten the big loaves down pretty good but I want to start making buns to throw in the freezer for sandwiches.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I FINALLY got a decent ear on my bread. Collander I'm using as a banneton is giving me polkadots though lol. gotta spray it next time.

Dough:
360g AP flour
40g stone ground whole wheat flour
300g water
60g starter (25% AP, 25% stone ground whole wheat, 50% water)
8g salt

Schedule:
6:00 PM - mix everything
7:00 PM - stretch & fold
7:30 PM - stretch & fold
8:00 PM - stretch & fold
8:30 PM - stretch & fold
8:30 PM - 11:00 PM - bulk rise in a warm spot (microwave with warm water)
11:00 PM - shape and put in floured towel in collander
11:00 PM - 2:00 PM - proof in refrigerator

Preheated dutch oven for 45 minutes at 500F. Baked with lid on for 25 minutes. Lid off at 450F for 13 minutes.

image0.jpg

Last edited:

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I have to be honest, idk if I have the patience to get my starter where it needs to be before making bread

I keep it in the fridge and feed once a week. The last time I made bread, I gave it two feedings, and I timed the second one and noted it took 9 hours to come to it's peak height (about double). So on the 3rd feeding, I started the autolyse with it once it hit 9 hours after feeding. And my bread still came out close-textured, dense crumb. Not sure what I am doing wrong, but I'm assuming its my starter cuz there is no yeast in the recipe. Using recipes from The Perfect Loaf. I did see some rise during bulk fermentation, but none during the overnight rest in the fridge. I bake it on a baking steel, with a casserole dish of boiling water beneath it.

Might give up and try making a sourdough loaf with some commercial instant yeast (finally acquired some) in addition to the starter so I still get the flavor.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I have to be honest, idk if I have the patience to get my starter where it needs to be before making bread

I keep it in the fridge and feed once a week. The last time I made bread, I gave it two feedings, and I timed the second one and noted it took 9 hours to come to it's peak height (about double). So on the 3rd feeding, I started the autolyse with it once it hit 9 hours after feeding. And my bread still came out close-textured, dense crumb. Not sure what I am doing wrong. Using recipes from The Perfect Loaf. I did see some rise during bulk fermentation, but none during the overnight rest in the fridge. I bake it on a baking steel, with a casserole dish of boiling water beneath it.

So I typically don't even worry about feeding my starter. I discard and feed it when it gets wet on top. I'll feed it and let it get started for 2-3 hours then put it in the fridge if I plan on using it within the next few days. If I don't plan on using it soon, I just feed it and put it in the fridge right away. I don't even worry about making a levain. I just try not to use starter if it's releasing brew on top since it might be overly sour then. I've used mature starter with success. If your dough isn't rising enough, maybe just give it more time. At room temp, my bulk rise can take 4-5 hours. If I want to speed it up, I microwave a cup of water for 2 mins, then put my covered dough in for 2-3 hours. Your dough won't rise when proofing in the fridge, so you need to get your rise before that.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
So I typically don't even worry about feeding my starter. I discard and feed it when it gets wet on top. I'll feed it and let it get started for 2-3 hours then put it in the fridge if I plan on using it within the next few days. If I don't plan on using it soon, I just feed it and put it in the fridge right away. I don't even worry about making a levain. I just try not to use starter if it's releasing brew on top since it might be overly sour then. I've used mature starter with success. If your dough isn't rising enough, maybe just give it more time. At room temp, my bulk rise can take 4-5 hours. If I want to speed it up, I microwave a cup of water for 2 mins, then put my covered dough in for 2-3 hours. Your dough won't rise when proofing in the fridge, so you need to get your rise before that.

Last two times I went for a 5-6 hour rise. I guess I need to find a warmer place? The AC is pumping cuz I'm in AZ so my kitchen might not be warm enough I guess.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Last two times I went for a 5-6 hour rise. I guess I need to find a warmer place? The AC is pumping cuz I'm in AZ so my kitchen might not be warm enough I guess.

I'd think that should still work. What are your baker's percentages?

If you want some good sourdough advice, I HIGHLY recommend Bake with Jack. He has by far the best information I've seen for sourdough.
www.youtube.com

101: Beginners NO KNEAD Sourdough Loaf, Start to Finish - Bake With Jack

Thanks so much for your patience! This is by far the most ambitious video I've made. This is your starting block to amazing sourdough at home, from here on i...

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I'd think that should still work. What are your baker's percentages?

If you want some good sourdough advice, I HIGHLY recommend Bake with Jack. He has by far the best information I've seen for sourdough.
www.youtube.com

101: Beginners NO KNEAD Sourdough Loaf, Start to Finish - Bake With Jack

Thanks so much for your patience! This is by far the most ambitious video I've made. This is your starting block to amazing sourdough at home, from here on i...

Last loaf I tried was 80% water. Maybe I'm getting too ambitious with the higher hydration. I should probably try making a basic loaf successfully first lol

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
Last loaf I tried was 80% water. Maybe I'm getting too ambitious with the higher hydration. I should probably try making a basic loaf successfully first lol
Are you using a mixer? At 80% hydration you are going to have to simply stretch and fold the dough super quick and for a long period of time as it will take like 20 minutes before it becomes workable by hand.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Are you using a mixer? At 80% hydration you are going to have to simply stretch and fold the dough super quick and for a long period of time as it will take like 20 minutes before it becomes workable by hand.

Nope by hand. I did sets 4 sets of stretch and folds (4x each set) every 30 minutes. Dough was still a bit too wet to shape so I ended up overly flouring my work surface.