• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
thats a pretty damn low bar my dude. most studios youve ever heard of could classify as a prestige studio by that metric lol

ERA was also an outlier when we included Detroit on that list, majority of outlets didnt

Like it or not, this is the enthusiast forum and the enthusiast rated it one of the best games this year. I'd trust us much more than the main stream.
And it fits very well with the Sony "we make the best game in x category".

Prestige doesn't have to mean best seller or wins the most game of the years in the mass media.

Premium

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NC
Sony's exclusive list just got shorter heading into next generation.

While not a fan of QD games, I'm sure others will be excited for this news.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good. I was scared MS was gonna purchase them. Can't stand their games. Not for me at all.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Excited for the big stuff I hear is in the works from them, they've already started some notable investments.

Then again, I'm a fan of their games already so

Zukkoyaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can see them taking the DONTNOD route and working on multiple smaller games rather than AAA projects that take 4-5 years.

Mr. Fantastic

Alt-account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Like it or not, this is the enthusiast forum and the enthusiast rated it one of the best games this year. I'd trust us much more than the main stream.
And it fits very well with the Sony "we make the best game in x category".

Prestige doesn't have to mean best seller or wins the most game of the years in the mass media.

You are being extremely generous to QD. They haven't even had a game rated about 90 Metacritic and their last two games have been sub 80.

So they're not best sellers (and why would you even bring this up? It has no bearing on prestige), they don't win any GOTY awards and their reviews can be summed up as "good". What makes them a prestige studio again?

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
You're not losing a thing. Why do you care if others can play the games?
How did you lose anything? You don't play non-exclusive games at all?
I already explained it:

For two main reasons.

First, a game isn't only made by the developper. The publisher plays a big role and we have many examples of that. For Marvel's Spider-Man, Disney contacted Sony, not Insomniac ; the game wouldn't have been the same if it was published by Activision.

Detroit was the best Quantic Dream game and Sony is probably the best publisher for single player console games. I'm not sure the sequel will be as good without Sony.

Secondly, I have all consoles so I don't care about consoles, but I want the video game industry continue to grow. I want that PlayStation 5 sells better than PlayStation 2, I want that Xbox (2020) sells better than Xbox 360 and I want that Nintendo Switch 2 sells better than Nintendo DS. It needs many things, but I think that one of the most important one is exclusives. I want that Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo release more AAA exclusives each year, in more varied genres. And for that, they need more first party studios and more second party studios, not less.

It's maybe a good thing for Quantic Dream (I'm not sure), but I can't see how it could be a good thing for Sony.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
You are being extremely generous to QD. They haven't even had a game rated about 90 Metacritic and their last two games have been sub 80.

So they're not best sellers (and why would you even bring this up? It has no bearing on prestige), they don't win any GOTY awards and their reviews can be summed up as "good". What makes them a prestige studio again?

To put it simple, they make the best games in their category. That is something Sony strives for and that makes it a matter of prestige for them.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
Even though I really enjoyed Detroit, and I think it's by far the best looking game on PS4. I feel like as long as David Cage is heavily involved the studio won't evolve. I think Kojima can be the new David for Sony.

Putty

Double Eleven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Middlesbrough
From a business point of view makes perfect sense. From a gamer perspective...more peeps can enjoy on their prefered platform.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
These kind of games need first-party hype and marketing. I think Suppermassive's next game will sell a lot less on 3 platforms than Until Dawn on PS4 only. I hope that won't happed with QD.

Until Dawn would have sold far, far, far more copies as a multi-platform game (especially if you toss in PC sales over time). I'm ready for the days of unified multi-platform games where you just pick the level of hardware you want to play it on. Be it a "lower-end" console or a "high-end" PC like setup. I've reached that point where I'm tired of buying every single console maker's system plus building a gaming PC too. I've probably quit that from here on out. I've bought/owned nearly every major console since the late 80's, and that will probably end with this next generation, despite having more disposable money than I ever had growing up.

My vote is for an all multi-platform future. :-p

I know it's not happening any time soon.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I already explained it:
Both of your points are moot. Sony is not a better publisher than anyone. Disney contacted Sony because Sony Movie owns Spiderman, not because of Sony's exquisite ability in game publishing. Second, the industry grows on software, not hardware. The game industry has grown tremendously from a decade ago, yet with fewer consoles sold in total. The best way to grow software is to put them on as many platforms as possible. In this way the developers, the ones that actually make the games, get the best reward.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jeez...NetEase throwing out $100m here and there.

Haven't played Detroit yet but really enjoyed the short playable demo so I am looking forward to playing it at some point this year. It's definitely a hit to Sony in regards to their exclusives but at the same time, I can see not wanting to give Quantic Dream $100m up front. Either way, looking forward to seeing their next game.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Both of your points are moot. Sony is not a better publisher than anyone. Disney contacted Sony because Sony Movie owns Spiderman, not because of Sony's exquisite ability in game publishing. Second, the industry grows on software, not hardware. The game industry has grown tremendously from a decade ago, yet with fewer consoles sold in total. The best way to grow software is to put them on as many platforms as possible. In this way the developers, the ones that actually make the games, get the best reward.
Wrong, Marvel contacted Sony because they wanted them to give 1 of their I.P the 1st party treatment and a publisher can be very important for a studio, they offer a lot if support if they are a good one. Sony have the best pipeline in the industry for big cinematic games according to an Insomniac dev for example. We'll see how QD do without though, I'm sure they learned a lot in that time.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To put it simple, they make the best games in their category. That is something Sony strives for and that makes it a matter of prestige for them.
Detroit is on a whole different level in terms of player choice and the sheer number of consequences borne from said choice, and that makes that game one of the best adventure titles I ever played.
for big cinematic games
I'm sure someone will reply to this with some variation of the ol' "all Sony games are the same" spiel.

Oct 30, 2017
I was kinda hoping Sony would get them to bolster their worldwide studios, but as long as QD can keep making games I really don't give a shit who owns them.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
Both of your points are moot. Sony is not a better publisher than anyone. Disney contacted Sony because Sony Movie owns Spiderman, not because of Sony's exquisite ability in game publishing.
No, that's absolutely not true.

Second, the industry grows on software, not hardware. The game industry has grown tremendously from a decade ago, yet with fewer consoles sold in total. The best way to grow software is to put them on as many platforms as possible. In this way the developers, the ones that actually make the games, get the best reward.
Both are important. I think consoles are very important for the video game industry, because it's the ecosystem with the best games. I have no problem with mobile games, but I want more AAA like Red Dead Redemption 3, Horizon : Zero Dawn, Monster Hunter: World and I think these games wouldn't released without consoles. Even The Witcher 3, the third entry of a PC franchise, did most of its sales on consoles.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why are you not happy that more people can enjoy their games now?

I have already answered

Basically, I cant see any other company giving the AAA budget Sony provided to Quantic Dream for their kind of games

I fear we may see a change of direction from their storydriven SP only games

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Excellent news! Haven't had much of a chance to play their games, but luckily got to experience Detroit. It was very good. Hopefully the next one is even better.
Stuff like Life is Strange and most of Telltale's games did well enough without the need of being first party
Most of Telltale games definitely didn't do well. Minecraft and first season of Walking Dead did. They had insanely popular IP:s to work on too, yet failing commercially even if not usually critically.

Last edited:

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully this doesn't mean they'll abandon their AAA high budget story branching games to focus on mobile and other low budget shit without Sony's backing.

yuraya

Oct 25, 2017
Sony messed up. All that PS4 and PS+ money they are swimming in this gen..and they let both Supermassive + Quantic Dream go multiplat.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Just because they've been bought by another company does not mean they'll stop making exclusive games for Sony, even if they make multiplatform ones. You can have both. They have a longstanding relationship with Sony with multiple games over the years so it doesn't take much to figure out there's going to be more collaborations in the future.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Both of your points are moot. Sony is not a better publisher than anyone. Disney contacted Sony because Sony Movie owns Spiderman, not because of Sony's exquisite ability in game publishing.

Why people keep saying this bs? I mean, we've Insomniac people come here and explicity say literally the opposite of this.

Last edited:

Mr. Fantastic

Alt-account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
LOL!

WAS a prestige studio, not IS

Yeah they've never been a prestige studio though, I'll just quote my other post:

By what metric do you define being a prestige studio?

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017

Lol again with this lie...amazing XD
Yeah they've never been a prestige studio though, I'll just quote my other post:

By what metric do you define being a prestige studio?

They make award winning, technical impressive games (my exact quote talked about prestige games as well, not prestige studio)

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018

This is all completely false.

Mr. Fantastic

Alt-account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Lol again with this lie...amazing XD

They make award winning, technical impressive games (my exact quote talked about prestige games as well, not prestige studio)

There are plenty of technically impressive games, that doesn't make them prestige games or whatever.

What awards has Detroit won?

You have already been given answers to that and your reply of "lol you don't play many games" doesn't counter those arguments.

Your argument was "they make the best games in their genre". Do you realize what a low bar that still is? Psyonix makes the best race car soccer game, does this make them a prestige studio?

Mr. Fantastic

Alt-account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
I don't think that making the best current adventure games is a low bar no.

yeaaaaaaaah if your whole metric is going "it won the ERA vote" by that reasoning Ubisoft Montreal is a prestige studio too, they won Best Shooter. I guess Camelot is a Nintendo prestige studio since they won best sports game?

Lol seems that not only you can't read but you refuse to learn?

I said were, remember?

this is hard for you isn't it? go ahead, tell me which awards Beyond won. Or how far back do you want to go? When did they make prestige games?

This is such a stupid discussion by the way. What a nonsense term.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
yeaaaaaaaah if your whole metric is going "it won the ERA vote" by that reasoning Ubisoft Montreal is a prestige studio too, they won Best Shooter. I guess Camelot is a Nintendo prestige studio since they won best sports game?

This is such a stupid discussion by the way.

I don't see them anywhere near the top 10 list (or top 20 for that matter).

But yeah, this is getting ridiculous and I think we better leave the discussion as it's not really on topic.
Personally I'm happy with the fact that they are not gobbled up and can still be independent.