• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Super glad that they're going multiplatform so I don't have to hear forum people defending them randomly in the future.
yeah i think if their previous games were multiplat way less people would bother defending them, or giving a shit about them and their games at all, honestly.
it's still one of the most embarrassing things i remember on era, when 3 reputable newspapers/websites simultaneously published well-sourced, reliable articles on the terrible and toxic atmosphere of QD and pathetic fanboys decided to attack those newspapers/journalists instead of the studio.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just more people will defend them now that they are not exclusive to one platform.
...nah. exclusive games/studios always have more defenders, and that goes for all three platforms.
just look at RDR2. one of the best selling games of the gen, the highest metascore of the gen, yet people freely shit on it and very few people bother defending it. now imagine if it was an exclusive, it would be a 20 page long thread anytime anyone had a similar opinion about it.

Last edited:

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
The more people that get to play these games the better, even if they're flawed. Personally I think Detroit was Quantic Dream's best game to date and I'm looking forward to whatever's next.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
For two main reasons.

First, a game isn't only made by the developper. The publisher plays a big role and we have many examples of that. For Marvel's Spider-Man, Disney contacted Sony, not Insomniac ; the game wouldn't have been the same if it was published by Activision.

Detroit was the best Quantic Dream game and Sony is probably the best publisher for single player console games. I'm not sure the sequel will be as good without Sony.

Secondly, I have all consoles so I don't care about consoles, but I want the video game industry continue to grow. I want that PlayStation 5 sells better than PlayStation 2, I want that Xbox (2020) sells better than Xbox 360 and I want that Nintendo Switch 2 sells better than Nintendo DS. It needs many things, but I think that one of the most important one is exclusives. I want that Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo release more AAA exclusives each year, in more varied genres. And for that, they need more first party studios and more second party studios, not less.

It's maybe a good thing for Quantic Dream (I'm not sure), but I can't see how it could be a good thing for Sony.

Thank you very much.

But how many studios can make as good narrative games as Until Dawn or Detroit? Big Bad Wolf, Dontnod (they're already making an exclusive for Microsoft), RLR Training It (Sony doesn't even allow them to release their games on PlayStation) and that's probably all.

Dontnod is making an exclusive game for MS? Which one?

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Yet, they can ask Quantic Dream "Hey, do this for me".

You know, "hiring" them to work on their games.
And they can say "no, we're looking to work on this instead" NetEase wouldn't have invested in them to get them to make something they have no interest in doing. They'd want to get a "Interactive Movie" from them or QD pitched them something and they want in.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Glad Sony washed their hands of this QD/David Cage partnership, hopefully that money will go into funding an exclusive from a better studio, like Housemarque

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
And they can say "no, we're looking to work on this instead" NetEase wouldn't have invested in them to get them to make something they have no interest in doing. They'd want to get a "Interactive Movie" from them or QD pitched them something and they want in.

Mmmh... aren't you taking this a little bit too seriously?

I mean, I don't see that BAD if Quantic Dream works on something a bit different.

Yet, as I said, I do not like their games at all since The Indigo prophecy, so I guess I'm biased here...

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i think they Don't own any IP...it's all belong to Sony
the heavy rain name belongs to QD, but the game code and assets probably belong to sony. beyond and detroit fully belong to sony. so i guess technically, if QD wanted, they could make a sequel to heavy rain without sony's involvement.

screenshot2019-01-29acsjqd.png

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Mmmh... aren't you taking this a little bit too seriously?

I mean, I don't see that BAD if Quantic Dream works on something a bit different.

Yet, as I said, I do not like their games at all since The Indigo prophecy, so I guess I'm biased here...
What? How is explaining how it works taking it too serious? You know how investment works right? Why would they invest (10s of millions) in a studio known for doing 1 specific thing (which happens to be gaining popularity in Asia) and tell them, "nah don't do that?"

Edit: and again it's also possible QD pitched them something and they want in. It could be different to their norm, but I doubt this will be a 1 and sone partnership.

Last edited:

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
the heavy rain name belongs to QD, but the game code and assets probably belong to sony. beyond and detroit fully belong to sony. so i guess technically, if QD wanted they could make a sequel to heavy rain without sony's involvement.

screenshot2019-01-29acsjqd.png
strange, I thought Sony owned the rights

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
For two main reasons.

First, a game isn't only made by the developper. The publisher plays a big role and we have many examples of that. For Marvel's Spider-Man, Disney contacted Sony, not Insomniac ; the game wouldn't have been the same if it was published by Activision.

Detroit was the best Quantic Dream game and Sony is probably the best publisher for single player console games. I'm not sure the sequel will be as good without Sony.

Secondly, I have all consoles so I don't care about consoles, but I want the video game industry continue to grow. I want that PlayStation 5 sells better than PlayStation 2, I want that Xbox (2020) sells better than Xbox 360 and I want that Nintendo Switch 2 sells better than Nintendo DS. It needs many things, but I think that one of the most important one is exclusives. I want that Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo release more AAA exclusives each year, in more varied genres. And for that, they need more first party studios and more second party studios, not less.

It's maybe a good thing for Quantic Dream (I'm not sure), but I can't see how it could be a good thing for Sony.

For starters, you could look at it like QD had a 3 game contract and took probably up to 12 years making them. While yes they were all new IP's, you could make the argument that they were only new IP's with regards to story and setting. There likely wasnt enough evolution in their game design from HR to D:BH to warrant the budgets required to build all the new tech every release, and no real "signature" gameplay elements that set QD apart. Obviously Sony has no issue building a team that can produce an exceptional narrative, and they probably dont want to buy QD if that's all they can be counted on for (and describing QD's narratives as exceptional is stretching the definition, to be sure). If they dont buy them, they most likely aren't going to put QD on contract again since they cant seem to produce a "hook" with gameplay and the investment/return is likely a bit too close to even for Sony to take the chance we get a bomb. If anything, Sony should be courting/building top tier multiplayer talent, as that seems to be their only lacking component. Not a huge issue obviously, since third parties have that market saturated to hell, but Sony would surely love some of that sweet recurring revenue.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
strange, I thought Sony owned the rights
sony does own the rights to the game that people can play on ps3 and ps4, but heavy rain started before sony got involved (it was first pitched to microsoft, actually) so the name and trademark belongs to QD.

Sony losing pretty much all of their 2nd/3rd party exclusives this gen, wow.
this is so hyperbolic. i'm sure they'll be more than fine.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Despite how flawed Detriot was, I enjoyed it. I think it's their best work. I hope they can make new games, it being multi-platform isn't a big deal. I guess Sony wanted to distance themselves from the scandals surrounding the studio.

Francesco

Nov 22, 2017
Goddddamn that closeup was scary af.

The desperate attempts at trolling in this thread are hilarious. Keep it up!

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm really not interested in their games as much as I used to, still haven't played Detroit but I do like to see what they do with the tech they have at their disposal.

I also agree with the sentiment that I expect it to be open season on highlighting the negatives of this studio now, there's no way a none exclusive studio will receive the defense that QD got.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't care less it's multiplatform, bigger concern is NetEase bullshit.

At least with Sony is was straight up old school gaming. You buy the game, you get the game. No MTs, loot boxes, booster packs or any really over the top pre-order shenanigans.

Oct 25, 2017
For two main reasons.

Thank you very much.

But how many studios can make as good narrative games as Until Dawn or Detroit? Big Bad Wolf, Dontnod (they're already making an exclusive for Microsoft), RLR Training It (Sony doesn't even allow them to release their games on PlayStation) and that's probably all.

DONTNOD MS exclusive?

Source? Or is this speculation presented as a fact?

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's an implication that they might be doing something with online games on top of what they're currently doing: https://www.apnews.com/1ba4c5e55ef64bcb93330c5fdd3d2ccb

From the press release:

"NetEase Games, the online games division of NetEase, Inc. (NASDAQ: NTES), one of China's largest internet companies, today announced that it has acquired a minority stake in Quantic Dream S.A. to further the development and distribution of global online games."

And from David Cage himself: https://venturebeat.com/2019/01/29/...-up-for-games-on-multiple-platforms/view-all/

"GamesBeat: After Detroit, what else are you working on?

Cage: It is too early to reveal anything about our future projects. What I can say is that we are working on our next engine that will be cross-
platform and even more impressive than anything we have done before. We will keep working on projects that are ambitious and original, building on the genre we pioneered and that we will continue to develop, but we also want to explore new grounds."

Presumably the referenced new ground is related to NetEase's global online games statement.

They also have a Network Programmer job here, which matches all of this: https://www.google.com/search?q=Qua...htidocid=0KvIxWa_ONwo9Z9uAAAAAA==&htivrt=jobs

And are also looking at mobile, which is obviously a big deal for China: https://www.google.com/search?q=Qua...htidocid=5_AFxYKD5nZohc0AAAAAAA==&htivrt=jobs

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
What? How is explaining how it works taking it too serious? You know how investment works right? Why would they invest (10s of millions) in a studio known for doing 1 specific thing (which happens to be gaining popularity in Asia) and tell them, "nah don't do that?"
It's also possible QD pitched them something and they want in. It could be different.

Yes, I know.

And I also know that it is very possible that they ask Quantic Dream to do some specific job.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
ZhugeEX is expert for Chinese gaming market,i wonder what he thinks of all this...

I'd read into the post below yours, especially the part about cross platform, online games and mobile.

In general this continues NetEase's strategy (Other Chinese companies are doing the same) to invest in or acquire overseas developers to expand their global presence and also bring new experiences to China that augment their existing pipeline of games.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Cant speak for Heavy Rain, or Two Souls but I really liked Detroit. Cool to see more people able to enjoy their games.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
I'd read into the post below yours.

In general this continues NetEase's strategy (Other Chinese companies are doing the same) to invest in or acquire overseas developers to expand their global presence and also bring new experiences to China that augment their existing pipeline of games.

I see,thanks!

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
I'm glad Cage's work will reach more people. Nobody should go without experiencing the hard-hitting and nuanced message from Detroit that racism is a thing that exists.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Some big ones yeah, especially if persona 5 also goes to switch. Just seems like a trend now, they're focusing much more on their internal studios going forward and less about 3rd party exclusives.

I don't think these have been exclusive as in they had a deal with sony but more the fact that the playstation was the only viable system for the games.
Usually when there is a deal involved it's heavily advertised.

Persona on switch makes sense though, it's even on the PS3 so should not have performance problems.

In any case, I'm all for focusing on internal studios and let external be independent. If any of the system owners want 3rd party exclusive they can still contract them out like spider-man.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd read into the post below yours.

Do you think adventure games such as Detroit are a genre enjoyed by Chinese consumers? Though I suppose the success Detroit is finding in Asia would point to that, right?
I'm glad Cage's work will reach more people. Nobody should go without experiencing the hard-hitting and nuanced message from Detroit that racism is a thing that exists.
Funny enough, pretty much most games never do that. Ironically, those same games usually feature casts of mostly white actors and characters.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like Sony isn't too interested in investing in independent (A)AA studios anymore. Insomniac Games might be the last big AAA studio that they will finance in the future without owning it. Sony is probably more interested in expanding their own studios?

Next gen will be interesting. MS prepping with all those new studios while Sony seems to lose more and more studios. Besides not financing more AAA third-party-studios they also closed a bunch of own studios this gen.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Some big ones yeah, especially if persona 5 also goes to switch. Just seems like a trend now, they're focusing much more on their internal studios going forward and less about 3rd party exclusives.
That's just natural, they still have a lot of big independent studio partnerships and can and will do more. Their biggest loss is the Nintendo Switch and PC are just as viable for most Japanese devs now. But they were more like free exclusives than 1st party games from 3rd party devs. P5 is a SEGA funded game by a SEGA studio for example.

Yes, I know.

And I also know that it is very possible that they ask Quantic Dream to do some specific job.
QD would have went to them most likely in that case, just be weird if NetEase randomly decided to go to them with something they don't really do at all. My completely baseless guess is they'll do something like A Ways Out, but with a much bigger budget.

Last edited: