• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's not entirely finished because QD has filed a lawsuit for defamation against two medias, the trial is planned for the 5 and 6 December.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Considering how he treats women in his games, I doubt he respects them enough irl to ask for that consent
2793805-ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif

... yeah.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Nobody believed me when I said Sony wanted to end their last work relationship with QD due to the toxic work culture there.

If Sony gave a shit about this they would've said something about it at the time. Reminder that this all happened before Detroit came out. QD remained Sony darlings throughout the whole saga.

Detroit was just the last game of a three-game deal with Sony right? Heavy Rain, Beyond and Detroit? It's not like they were dropped.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody believed me when I said Sony wanted to end their last work relationship with QD due to the toxic work culture there.
In fairness, that's because there's no proof that's the case.

It was ended because Detroit was the last game in a multiple game deal. If Sony now no longer sell Quantic Dream games now they're going multiplatform, then it might be the case.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Detroit was just the last game of a three-game deal with Sony right? Heavy Rain, Beyond and Detroit? It's not like they were dropped.

This 3 games deal was ever confirmed?

But anyway after Detroit they had to get funding elsewhere (NetEase), so probably wasn't a QD decision to be independent

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I think Sony dropped them because they want AAA games that sell more than detroit does, if sony cared about this scandal then they did absolutely nothing to show that to the public.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I'm starting to wonder if them going multiplat is because Sony cut ties with them or something.
I think Sony dropped them because they want AAA games that sell more than detroit does, if sony cared about this scandal then they did absolutely nothing to show that to the public.
I just think they took the corporate approach which is that when there's potential controversy, you don't put anything at the public forefront any more or any longer than necessary, to the point of pretending it doesn't exist.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
If Sony gave a shit about this they would've said something about it at the time. Reminder that this all happened before Detroit came out. QD remained Sony darlings throughout the whole saga.

Thought i read in one of the old threads that there was no 3 game deal .
Sony could have drop them any time they wanted but there games sold and Detroit is when all of this came out .

That was the best PR move to tell the truth .
You don't want to get drag along with QD when they just a 3rd party .
Saying something could have a adverse effect so keep quite and cut ties .

Last edited:

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good thing Sony isn't tying their name to this studio anymore. Anyone defending this initially was dumb then and look especially dumb now.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
According to Cage before the release of Detroit, a 3 game deal never existed and after each game they negotiated new deals.

So they definitely didn't get dropped then? If they had no multi-game contract with Sony.

It doesn't really matter either way. I wouldn't touch them now either.

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I doubt Sony was going to say anything before and while Detroit was coming. They took the corporate approach here and kept quiet for as long as the public allowed them to distance themselves.

So they definitely didn't get dropped then? If they had no multi-game contract with Sony.

It doesn't really matter either way. I wouldn't touch them now either.

If we assume a QD/Sony deal was always an easy re-up, we can argue they were dropped.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017

Who knows what really happened. But it's a bit suspecious how quickly Quantic announced PC ports of games that I assume Sony helped finance since 2006(or whenever Heavy Rain entered development).

+ you got that David Cage tweet where he said something along the lines of: "You no longer need a PlayStation to play our games".

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seem to recall she was pissed when she found out that Cage did a shower scene of her without her knowledge (which admittedly is creepy as hell) even as far as to look into a lawsuit about it against them.

Wasn't it mostly because of a camera bug and the developers literally made a full nude render with her likeness?

But yeah, Cage is an idiot.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Good. Between the material evidence corroborating the allegations and QD's absolutely disgusting media strategy to counter them, Cage and his buddies can fuck off.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Makes me wonder if this is why Sony dropped them

Who's to say. Poor work conditions plagues a lot of development studios. Naughty Dog had some issues as well a couple years back, but they are still with Sony.

Although the worker harassment could have been what tipped things uniquely against QD.

Ultimately it's too much to speculate and we won't ever know unless somebody from Sony specifically comments on this (which they don't.)

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, I totally forgot about this. The only thing I remember about it was some garbage-ass shit where someone was photoshopping employees faces or something. I'm going to have to do some reading of the "context" linked in OP.

Let's not forget Cage's absolutely ridiculous response to these disgusting allegations.
"You want to talk homophobia? We work with Ellen Page who is fighting for LGBT right. You want to talk racism? We are working with Jesse Williams on civil rights in the USA. Judge my work."
Get out. I won't judge you by your work. I'll judge you by the toxic masculinity and racism in your workplace.
Wow. I remember this now. I'm not sure if I just forgot about it over time, or if I blocked such a dumb as fuck statement from infecting my brain. Good Lord, what a terrible statement...

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Good. Between the material evidence corroborating the allegations and QD's absolutely disgusting media strategy to counter them, Cage and his buddies can fuck off.
Yup.

Proud to say I've never spent a cent on their games even before all this shit came to light. Imagine giving this creep a dollar, or doing business with him.

02-18b-homershudder.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Here's another interesting fact now that justice has spoken on the matters. When the news broke over a year ago, several french youtubers and "internet personalities" came out defending with all their might the company, explaining to their fans that the whole thing is made up from some former employee holding a grudge against the company. Soon after this defense force started to ramp up, someone leaked a facebook post from Quantic Dream employees asking specific people to make use of their "power to influence opinions".
Amongst the people from that totally unsuspicious defense force is Julien Chieze, an ex-games blogger that often gets quoted here for his "game rumors".
Holy shit.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
some the reactions to this news when it first broke out and the amount of people who dismissed it and accused the publications of making things up, just cuz they were blindly defending a game developer, still disgusts me.

Which is kind of amazing in itself; by the time people start to speak up, the work environment has usually been untenable for a while. This is true of pretty much any company; how much worse it must be in game dev, where employee exploitation is the status quo. When a studio goes to court for abusing its employees, the situation must not be very far from actual whips and firstborn sacrifices...

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let's not forget Cage's absolutely ridiculous response to these disgusting allegations.

Get out. I won't judge you by your work. I'll judge you by the toxic masculinity and racism in your workplace.

Let's not forget that he put a nude 3D model of Ellen Page in one of his games, despite the contract's terms being clear on that being disallowed.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
His games had racist and misogynistic shit in them even while working under Sony. Sony didn't care so them "dropping them" because of this is unlikely.

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017
Who knows what really happened. But it's a bit suspecious how quickly Quantic announced PC ports of games that I assume Sony helped finance since 2006(or whenever Heavy Rain entered development).

+ you got that David Cage tweet where he said something along the lines of: "You no longer need a PlayStation to play our games".
Those games are getting PC ports because Sony approved it. Sony owns them. Not Quantic Dream.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home

There was no 3-games deal. It was said by QD's David Cage that their contract with Sony was on a game-by-game basis. As long as THEY (SIE) would let QD do whatever project they want, they would remain PS exclusive. 🤨😑

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
some the reactions to this news when it first broke out and the amount of people who dismissed it and accused the publications of making things up, just cuz they were blindly defending a game developer, still disgusts me.
That shit was truly embarrassing shit to see. People talking shit about the reporter from the Le Monde even, dismissing his article because he had a Mario avatar on twitter.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

even if you do judge him by his work it doesn't paint a good picture. They're full of sexist shit and Detroit it the whitest, most mawkish take on racism conceivable.

Igor

Oct 31, 2017

This is literally white people "Oh I have a black boyfriend, so I know about racism" kinda bullshit. Claiming achievements/struggles of the minorities as his own, he's pretty disgusting.

I really hope that video game industry matures quick enough to have studios really concern about allegations like this.

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ever since the naked ellen page model and cut teenage rape cutscene/ audio from beyond: two souls I was super done with their bullshit

I am not surprised in the slightest

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
What's the deal with Detroit? I never played it as I Mega loathe David Cage games but is the racism the fucked up tone deaf slavery allegory or does it get even worse?

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What makes me sad is that the concept of their games (super story-driven with lots of choices) is one of my favorites, but I can never support a company that does these things to its employees, and the games are filled with racist and sexist stuff.

Oct 26, 2017
Almost ! It's Julien Chieze's friends : Nico Augusto, who was behind this shit.
Fuck those two.

Ah, okay.

The only credit I think Julien deserves is being the first EVER to leak Mario + Rabbids and a Yoshi and Rabbids game at gameblog IIRC. But that's Ubisoft and he's French. Literally anyone (especially French, which Ubisoft mainly is) would've leaked it before long anyway. :P

Edit: Oh yeah, Nico was one of the first NX leakers himself and before that Wii U game leakers on twitter like 5 years ago. I don't know for sure if he was legit, but yeah it sounds like these two are shit people. :(

Last edited:

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Ah, okay.

The only credit I think Julien deserves is being the first EVER to leak Mario + Rabbids and a Yoshi and Rabbids game at gameblog IIRC. But that's Ubisoft and he's French. Literally anyone (especially French, which Ubisoft mainly is) would've leaked it before long anyway. :P
Yep exactly. Still blows my mind that this fucker was the first one. But at least most of the internet has attributed that leak to Laura Kate Dale, who leaked it one or two days after XD
This idiot blew it all right after tho, going back into his shitty dumb ass rumors (his Nintendo "source" is Nico Augusto by the way, the liar behind Seasons of Heaven lmao), saying that F-Zero for Switch was happening.
I remember a live stream at Gameblog (Julien Chièze still worked there at the time) after the Switch live presentation, and he started to throw those shitty rumors, and you could see the look on the faces of his co-workers, they were like "oh no, here we go again...", but Chièze was their boss so they had to play along.

So yeah, when Chièze started defending David Cage, I was just like "oh fuck off...", Those dudes are all fucking liar.

Oct 26, 2017
Yep exactly. Still blows my mind that this fucker was the first one. But at least most of the internet has attributed that leak to Laura Kate Dale, who leaked it one or two days after XD
This idiot blew it all right after tho, going back into his shitty dumb ass rumors (his Nintendo "source" is Nico Augusto by the way, the liar behind Seasons of Heaven lmao), saying that F-Zero for Switch was happening.
I remember a live stream at Gameblog (Julien Chièze still worked there at the time) after the Switch live presentation, and he started to throw those shitty rumors, and you could see the look on the faces of his co-workers, they were like "oh no, here we go again...", but Chièze was their boss so they had to play along.

Oh wow. :/

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
There was no 3-games deal. It was said by QD's David Cage that their contract with Sony was on a game-by-game basis. As long as THEY (SIE) would let QD do whatever project they want, they would remain PS exclusive. 🤨😑

He's the real deal. What he's saying is the truth. There is no conspiracy here so let's stop assuming scenarios. Sony let go of QD for reasons related to all of this apart from Sony themselves not interested in making more games with David Cage. However, you don't need an insider like Faik to confirm this. If you don't think Sony knew about everything happening with the company they've been collaborating and creating games they own for years now...then I don't know what to tell you. They ended their relationship smartly before all this transpired because they knew about everything going on for awhile now.