• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Genuine question here: as a non American, I don't know why "all life matters" is regarded as racist. I suppose this phrase is related to some bad precedents or instrumental usage. Can you explain me the history behind this?
All lives matter but not all lives are being lost victims of unwarranted police brutality. It's not that hard to understand.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ever since the scandal and lawsuit came to light: Fuck Quantic Dreams

I'm not shocked.

Genuine question here: as a non American, I don't know why "all life matters" is regarded as racist. I suppose this phrase is related to some bad precedents or instrumental usage. Can you explain me the history behind this?

It is code for White Lives Matter

And everyone saying it doesn't give a fuck about racism or any of its victims.

You're off your rocker, mate. The guy said "Racism, in any shape or form, is shameful, stupid and must be fought against, everywhere and always. All lives matter & are equal regardless of skin colour". Nothing about that message is racist except for an unfortunate sequence of three words, the connotation of which he may not have known considering he's French, not to mention the fact that he changed it afterwards.

No. He knew exactly what he was saying.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
I would argue that all company tweets in regards to this matter are a form of marketing, it's just that the Quantic Dream one is very on the nose with, "Hey, here's our game". They're all doing the same thing, they're just not that obvious about it.

That "All Lives Matter" bullshit can get the fuck out of here though, even if they edited it. I've got no time for that nonsense

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
I'm from the UK, but it affects my country too. Here's how I'd put it, and I've seen it explained in very similar ways:

If you go to the doctor with a broken arm and the doctor starts examining your foot saying, "All bones matter". You'd be like, "Yes of course, but my arm is broken. Can you just focus on my arm for the time being? At the moment the rest of the bones are alright."

Saying All lives matter isn't addressing the issue, it's undermining it.

Glad to see people striving to understand stuff like this.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
Can't believe I'm going to defend this guy but there is a very small chance he meant "all lives matter" as Americans understand it, and I think the edit is a genuine one.

However, I also firmly believe that it comes entirely from opportunistic ad motivations and it's a disgusting tweet in its own right. Especially when the game is the most tone deaf ever produced (at the same time, standing as proof they don't really understand civil rights movements, and wouldn't know the meaning of all lives matter).

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You start to realize the same toxic, crappy gaming community members grow up to become devs and executives for shitty gaming companies. Imagine using this crisis to try and publicize your fucking game, lmao.

Incredible.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm from the UK, but it affects my country too. Here's how I'd put it, and I've seen it explained in very similar ways:

If you go to the doctor with a broken arm and the doctor starts examining your foot saying, "All bones matter". You'd be like, "Yes of course, but my arm is broken. Can you just focus on my arm for the time being? At the moment the rest of the bones are alright."

Yeah it's like the ultimate strawman. No one is saying all human life doesn't matter, it's just that unfortunately the point needs to be made that the lives of black people, especially in the US and other majority white countries, should count among those too.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017

That's quite a good anology actually.

dakun

Oct 28, 2017
i'm not gonna bash someone who might've not known that "all lifes matter" sentence is used by opponents of BLM. In a vaccum what he said was alright but he should've informed himself on the matter before chiming in on something like this. That's completely on him.

But it's safe to say promoting his game in the same sentence is shady and crappy at the same time and undermines any benefit of the doubt i'd have for him. Rather just not say anything then if all he could think about is his game when seeing what's going on. It's just a really idiotic thing to do.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, understood. It is a matter of context. Saying it in a vacuum is seemingly an ok statement, but in the context is diminutive.
Thank you.
On that, here's a question. When does the issue of all lives mattering come up? Who is debating against this? It's a limp statement because ultimately it sounds good but is too non-specific to really do anything. It's easy to say because the alternative is pretty much to look completely heinous.

If you genuinely believed that all lives matter, specific statements like "black lives matter" would obviously be true in themselves so you could just as easily agree without without having to retreat to the general. But the issue is the very fact that they are specific. They are asking you to acknowledge that the lives of specific groups of people matter. The fact that these things have to be asserted is because a lot of people don't feel comfortable even claiming to believe them, and that's obvious in their actions. That's why instead of stating them, those who are uncomfortable with these statements retreat to the weaker, meaningless statement.

By the same token, most people will say that racism is bad, because that's an easy thing to say. Racism is a bad thing, and bad things are bad. You don't have to invest anything to make that claim. If you say anything else, you'd the bad guy, so you just say the thing that makes you the good guy.

But the moment that you acknowledge that racism actually exists in the human world, the moment that you point to specific statements or ideas or patterns of behaviour and point out that they're racist, then you get the humming and hawing; you get the discomfort that the conversation has gotten into things that are more specific than the general abstract claim of "racism is bad". Because in order to actually do something about racism, the very first thing that you have to do is acknowledge that it exists and identify it.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man. The brand tweets have been very [BRAND] over these protests but at least the ones who made a statement didn't explicitly go "Hey, buy our shit".

Not that I'm particularly shocked, mind.
Waiting for Adamska's take on this.
giphy.gif

In a way, I can almost respect it. They defended that shite to the end, not just until it stopped being an exclusive.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
Fuck All Lives Matter.

If you'd actually believe "All Lives Matter", you'd have no problem saying "Black Lives Matter".

Jun 21, 2018
The evolution of the southern strategy was a big part of it. Read this article

What an idiotic strategy. Instead of working on a better integration and advancing towards a better future for everyone they decided to exacerbate racial segregation to get white votes.
Republicans seems dumber every day I learn something about them.

Sorry for the off topic but it seems to my USA needs a lot of reform, starting from justice system and electoral system to say a couple.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
What an idiotic strategy. Instead of working on a better integration and advancing towards a better future for everyone they decided to exacerbate racial segregation to get white votes.
Republicans seems dumber every day I learn something about them.

Sorry for the off topic but it seems to my USA needs a lot of reform, starting from justice system and electoral system to say a couple.
It's not exactly a US-exclusive thing, either. What do you think the Nazis were doing? What tools did they use to keep themselves in power?

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
While the game actually is about that (in an incredibly on the nose, hamfisted way) it's still really tacky to use this to shill it.

The use of 'all lives matter' here i assume was probably more of an unfortunate language barrier thing, and not the common use of it to undercut black lives matter.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Also, "they didn't know what "all lives matter" implies in an American context" is really thin when you remember they spent millions on a project called Detroit, set in an American context and full of racial undertones.

That's really like making a game about race that's apolitical and not really about race. It's all about making a quick buck on the back of real struggles you don't really know shit about.

Still having your cake and eating it is a quantum phenomenon in itself.

Oct 30, 2017
quantic dream is a clown-car company.

imagine thinking its games aren't embarrassing in their own right.

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
Makes sense when you play this Disaster of a Race Allegory. In Detroit if you demand your Freedom and act with Riots the humans don't like you and shoot you down. You are being represented as evil. When you are peaceful, even when the Military starts Shooting at you, and you show the World that you have Emotions by Singing some Kumbaya Shit, while being again almost killed by the Military then you are granted Freedom. Detroit is by far the most Tasteless Game i have ever played, because you realize quickly that it's creator in no way shape or form was ever confronted with Racsim in the real World nor did he ever speak to Victims.
Fuck this Company!

Sparkedglory2

Nov 3, 2017
Yeah. Glad I didn't buy Detroit based on it's obvious use of race only to just say "they're robots instead!" I've never gotten one of their games before and I never will.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
There's no way to come out of this looking good.

Even if, somehow, you give Guillaume the benefit of the doubt and say that maybe it's a mistranslation thing and they didn't know the context of the words... Imagine using the tweet to promote your shitty game and to say that this is 'precisely what Detroit is about' (his words not mine) while not having an understanding of BLM/All Live Matter and what that means for people who live with this.

Regardless, no benefit of the doubt for Quantum Dream. Ever.

Makes sense when you play this Disaster of a Race Allegory. In Detroit if you demand your Freedom and act with Riots the humans don't like you and shoot you down. You are being represented as evil. When you are peaceful, even when the Military starts Shooting at you, and you show the World that you have Emotions by Singing some Kumbaya Shit, while being again almost killed by the Military then you are granted Freedom. Detroit is by far the most Tasteless Game i have ever played, because you realize quickly that it's creator in no way shape or form was ever confronted with Racsim in the real World nor did he ever speak to Victims.
Fuck this Company!

Yeah, this too. The absolute use of GOOD/EVIL moral compass in Detroit that paints rioting as a negative action or standing peacefully in front of the police and singing as the virtuous action instantly makes any comparisons with real world events absolutely laughable. Clowns.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
Fuck this Company!

Thanks.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Also, "they didn't know what "all lives matter" implies in an American context" is really thin when you remember they spent millions on a project called Detroit, set in an American context and full of racial undertones.

That's really like making a game about race that's apolitical and not really about race. It's all about making a quick buck on the back of real struggles you don't really know shit about.

Still having your cake and eating it is a quantum phenomenon in itself.

Eh, i think it's a trap a non-native speaker can easily fall into, especially since "all lives matter" is intentionally designed to sound vaguely positive/inclusive on the surface and not the "stop complaining brown people!" thing it is in an american context.

Jun 21, 2018
It's not exactly a US-exclusive thing, either. What do you think the Nazis were doing? What tools did they use to keep themselves in power?

Absolutely, the mentality it's always us vs them, there's a deep lack of respect and empathy involved. Dictatorship always take this to extreme. I believe human mind need to go past that for us to become a real united world. When I talked about USA reform I was referring to the previous link provided to me, related to USA incarceration statistics. Private prisons are an abomination to me, among other points.
I don't want to derail the thread further, but I'm really interested in the argument.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I was already warned about Detroit, but I was still willing to give it a shot. Not anymore.

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
CmyrVwNUkAAGW0-

I'm sure you've had a lot of replies on this but I've seen this cartoon do the rounds which I think is a good analogy.

JesseDeya

Oct 27, 2017
Wow. I came prepared to defend this as a French to English error... but nope, this appears to be straight up BS exploitation.

Kelanflyter

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
France
User banned (permanent): Defence of racist rhetoric, prior severe ban for inflammatory false equivalence around race representation
The use of 'all lives matter' here i assume was probably more of an unfortunate language barrier thing, and not the common use of it to undercut black lives matter.
I confirm that from a French perspective all lives matter just mean that every life is important
Black life Matter Seams to imply that only black life are important and could be viewed as racist.

before reading some posts in this Thread I didn't t know all lives matter was used by opponents and very few French probably knew that.

i think there is some language barrier here where we says similar things in different ways.

OP
OP
Kenzodielocke

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
I confirm that from a French perspective all lives matter just mean that every life is important
Black life Matter Seams to imply that only black life are important and could be viewed as racist.

before reading some posts in this Thread I didn't t know all lives matter was used by opponents and very few French probably knew that.

i think there is some language barrier here where we says similar things in different ways.

Go inform yourself before spewing bullshit then. Dude is an international business man, not some person living in rural area of France.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

This is how much Guillaume cared when asked to respond to the allegations confirmed by numerous media outlets when it related to his own company...

In response to a request for comment, co-CEO Guillaume de Fondaumière gave Kotaku the following statement:

"QD categorically denies the allegations. As for myself, I'm furious and outraged by these accusations, which I take very seriously. And I will take all possible legal actions to defend my honor."

Guy's a class act.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I liked Detroit but to say it told any kind of story that said anything powerful about blackness or black lives matter is a real stretch. That section of the game was hamfisted and was evidently written without consulting anyone black about how they would represent this. This tweet promoting a game entirely missed the point - give a percentage proceeds from Detroit to an actual cause or offer to actually do something - otherwise it's an empty statement- that at best people just scroll past or at worst is offensive and a company looking to profiteer off of a tragic event and an ongoing fight against racism.

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
QD is such a dogshit of a studio. Every single game they release is worse than the previous one and now this.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the self promotion is heinous, but the "all lives matter" part on the first tweet seems to be more of a translation/poorly worded sentence, let's not all dogpile on that
Weird that the co-CEO of a studio that recently made a game about racial oppression in the US wouldn't know what's wrong with saying "all lives matter".

SixPointEight

Oct 28, 2017

Y'a pas de « language barrier », c'est une mauvaise excuse.

Ça se traduit « les vies noires comptent » et « toutes les vies comptent ». C'est essentiellement identique. Ce qui manque c'est le contexte, de quoi il faut s'informer avant de tweeter des conneries, c'est tout.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I am not entirely sure what you're getting at here, are white europeans somehow above matters related to non-whites or what are you saying? I am a brown person living in Europe and it feels hostile as fuck.

1. That was not the intent. I was referring to people pivoting to Europeans in general being insensitive to racial issues. Which isn't entirely untrue of course, the further east you go. But the French at least (should) know better.

2. I walked it back before you quoted me when I saw European members defending the guy's supposed "ignorance" — as a leading figure of a company that does business in the US whose company also released a game steeped in segregationist thematics, he can't not know the meaning of "all lives" rhetoric. Also, common sense.

Last edited: