• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
David Cage says that the game apparently wasn't about racism when it was released but now that police violence against black people has become mainstream, it suddenly is.

Fuck Quantic Dream.

Jane

Oct 17, 2018
Do you get paid to defend racists or do you just do it for free?
You're off your rocker, mate. The guy said "Racism, in any shape or form, is shameful, stupid and must be fought against, everywhere and always. All lives matter & are equal regardless of skin colour". Nothing about that message is racist except for an unfortunate sequence of three words, the connotation of which he may not have known considering he's French, not to mention the fact that he changed it afterwards.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine using what is going on right now in America and around the world to promote your hokey robot/racism allegory.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
As opposed to white Americans?

Um, no? Just making it very clear that, contrary to some of the posts I've seen here over the years, Europeans are just as much an actor in modern day oppression of black people as their American cousins. In some cases they're even more ignorant due to how much this part of the world likes to avoid the subject of race entirely.

Deleted member 932

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Um, no? Just making it very clear that, contrary to some of the posts I've seen here over the years, Europeans are just as much an actor in modern day oppression of black people as their American cousins.
Ok, then I suggest editing your original post with a clarification because it comes across differently. To be clear, I agree with the "White people" message, but at first your post didn't read like that to me

Deleted member 932

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's absolutely representative of tone deaf white Europeans who think they've arrived when it comes to race issues, when they haven't even begun.
Again, Americans are doing better? Why the European classifier? Do you think there are not entitled white Americans?

I know the situation is delicate, but I don't think this is the time to deflect criticism. Racism, or feeling like you above it, is not an exclusively European thing.

Edit: Do you want to argue to "All lives matter" is an european thing? Or that PR taking advantage of the situation to promote stuff is?
In any case I'm derailing the thread, so I'll stop here

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's about the enlightened take I'd expect from that studio.

Edit: oh, I see this thread is about us Europeans now. How fun.
Edit 2: ok, we had it coming because of these replies.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2018
Genuine question here: as a non American, I don't know why "all life matters" is regarded as racist. I suppose this phrase is related to some bad precedents or instrumental usage. Can you explain me the history behind this?

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again, Americans are doing better? Why the European classifier? Do you think there are not entitled white Americans?

I know the situation is delicate, but I don't think this is the time to deflect criticism. Racism, or feeling like you above it, is not an exclusively European thing.

Edit: Do you want to argue to "All lives matter" is an european thing? Or that PR taking advantage of the situation to promote stuff is?
you're being a little pedantic

Genuine question here: as a non American, I don't know why "all life matters" is regarded as racist. I suppose this phrase is related to some bad precedents or instrumental usage. Can you explain me the history behind this?
it was made in response to mock the black lives matter movement. as in "what do you mean black lives matter? i'm not black and my life matters. care about meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! all lives matter."

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017

No one is deflecting criticism of white Americans. I'm pointing out that white Europe has issues with race as well, as evidenced here, despite the fact that many seem to view Europe has being more woke than the US when it comes to this. It isn't, and far from it. The distinction should be made, especially because a lot of Americans forget that there are millions of black people living in Europe too who are facing systemic oppression, bigotry and open prejudices at the hands of white people.

That doesn't mean racism doesn't somehow exist elsewhere, it just means that Europe's smug look at American racism is unearned (I'm European).

Nail on the head.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
Nothing about that message is racist except for an unfortunate sequence of three words, the connotation of which he may not have known considering he's French, not to mention the fact that he changed it afterwards.
He knows fully well what those words means. His company was not sued for nothing. Do not give QD the benefit of the doubt.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I'm arguing that there's a specific "Racism is over here" white European outlook which leads to complacency and tone deafness, that we see it here all the time, and that it entirely informs both Detroit and QD's dumb-as-shit "all lives matter, buy our game about race that's not about race".

That doesn't mean racism doesn't somehow exist elsewhere, it just means that Europe's smug look at American racism is unearned (I'm European).

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because the conversation is around BLACK lives matter when you say ALL lives matter it's essentially reframing the conversation to "white lives matter too" The people who mostly lean into this are conservatives, obviously.

every day shows "white lives matter" by default which is why it's important for us to let the black lives matter conversation happen without interruption because the system is set up so they matter less by default. The world needs to change.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017

(As another non-American,) The point of BLM is to make a statement about black people being treated as disposable, their lives or freedom forfeit if anyone in power feels like it. Trying to contort it into the tone deaf "all lives" stuff completely misses the point of why society is in a place that it even needs to be said that black lives matter.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
"All life matters" is often used by the white people because they feel that they're not included in the "Black life matters". While the fact is, they're completely missing the point what the BLM message is. It's not about "Only black life matters".

Jun 21, 2018
Because the conversation is around BLACK lives matter when you say ALL lives matter it's essentially reframing the conversation to "white lives matter too" The people who mostly lean into this are conservatives, obviously.

every day shows "white lives matter" by default which is why it's important for us to let the black lives matter conversation happen without interruption.

Ok, understood. It is a matter of context. Saying it in a vacuum is seemingly an ok statement, but in the context is diminutive.
Thank you.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Seems that Guillaume dude thinks different than David in regards of the politicalness of the game. Nothing wrong with that.

Why they didn't just left out the last sentence is beyond me... you don't have to promote a commercial product to get the message of your tweet across...

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ok, understood. It is a matter of context. Saying it in a vacuum is seemingly an ok statement, but in the context is diminutive.
Thank you.
It's often used to deny the specific oppression - judiciary, penal, custodial - that black people are victims in the US, more specifically here the risk to be arbitrarily brutalised or killed. Or in filigree to reduce it to an individual problem ("boo racists are ugly people, I am not!") or behaviour ("If you are clean you don't need to be afraid of the police"), when it's rooted into a institutional system (so something that could change).

www.gunviolencearchive.org

Children Killed or Injured in 2021 | Gun Violence Archive

Gun Violence Archive (GVA) is a not for profit corporation formed in 2013 to provide free online public access to accurate information about gun-related violence in the United States. GVA will collect and check for accuracy, comprehensive information about gun-related violence in the U.S. and...

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
You're off your rocker, mate. The guy said "Racism, in any shape or form, is shameful, stupid and must be fought against, everywhere and always. All lives matter & are equal regardless of skin colour". Nothing about that message is racist except for an unfortunate sequence of three words, the connotation of which he may not have known considering he's French, not to mention the fact that he changed it afterwards.

Let's not use the "he's European so he is ignorant of major political events" excuse. It's weak, it's tired and it's so easily provable as not true.

If he said it, was corrected and then made a genuine apology explaining why that statement was problematic, you may have a point.

What he actually did was edit the statement, when it became obvious it wasn't going to fly. In other words, this is about image not substance of message.

Then, he also continued to use the active suffering of others to promote his game. His game that already leaned heavily on past violent race struggles. His game, that his friend and collaborator (both of whom have been accused of horrible bullying) claimed wasn't created with any race allegory in mind.

So, you know what? Maybe you should step back of your defence of these idiots and rightfully decry their transparent profiteering of the struggles of black people.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems that Guillaume dude thinks different than David in regards of the politicalness of the game. Nothing wrong with that.

Why they didn't just left out the last sentence is beyond me... you don't have to promote a commercial product to get the message of your tweet across...
the last sentence is the motivation for the tweet

Jun 21, 2018
It's often used to deny the specific oppression - judiciary, penal, custodial - that black people are victims in the US, more specifically here the risk to be arbitrarily brutalised or killed. Or in filigree to reduce it to an individual problem ("boo racists are ugly people, I am not!") or behaviour ("If you are clean you don't need to be afraid of the police"), when it's rooted into a institutional system (so something that could change).

www.gunviolencearchive.org

Children Killed or Injured in 2021 | Gun Violence Archive

Gun Violence Archive (GVA) is a not for profit corporation formed in 2013 to provide free online public access to accurate information about gun-related violence in the United States. GVA will collect and check for accuracy, comprehensive information about gun-related violence in the U.S. and...

Thank you for the links, reading them now.

Edit: what happened between 1975 and today? Incarceration rate sky-rocketed!

Last edited:

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Guys, guys... Detroit isn't about racism.

Detroit-Become-Human-Martin-Luther-King-Jr.-speech.png

Imagine defending this trash company.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
I'm arguing that there's a specific "Racism is over here" white European outlook which leads to complacency and tone deafness, that we see it here all the time, and that it entirely informs both Detroit and QD's dumb-as-shit "all lives matter, buy our game about race that's not about race".

Yep. The only reason we get less issues with racism is the there's less black people over here.
That doesn't mean we don't have other issues, like Roma racism, but because the USA most racism is about black people, we don't see it the same way.

Oct 29, 2017
The words themselves aren't racist but they way they're used and who uses them are. 'all lives matter' was essentially a signal to black people that they should shut up, go home and stop complaining. It was used to diminish legitimate anger and grievance and also snidely impress the idea that these protestors are somehow selfish and single-minded.

Now, I believe this dude sincerely didn't realise the context of his words in America, was told and corrected it but I'm just explaining this to you.