• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Tweet is deleted now, but gotta shine a light on this bullshit.

Unbenannt.PNG

updated version is still bad:

Archurro

Oct 25, 2017
the self promotion is heinous, but the "all lives matter" part on the first tweet seems to be more of a translation/poorly worded sentence, let's not all dogpile on that

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Oh dear. Not a good look. 'All lives matter' for a start is incredibly tone deaf...As for promoting their game, I mean yes, Detroit is kind of about those things, and I enjoyed it, but it was too on the nose with the parallels, lacking any nuance to the specific issues that might arise if AI could be considered sentient.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
Didn't Cage say the game really wasn't trying to say anything?

"The story I'm telling is really about androids," he told me in an interview after the demo. "They're discovering emotions and wanting to be free. If people want to see parallels with this or that, that's fine with me. But my story's about androids who want to be free."

"I don't want the game to have something to say, because I don't see myself delivering a message to people," he said. "But I'm definitely interested in asking questions to the player. Questions that are meaningful and that resonate with him as a person and a citizen. We live in a world that's full of hopes as well as fears. Fears about the present and also the future. Where are we going? What's going to happen? I just want to ask these questions and see how people react."

kotaku.com

Despite Political Overtones, David Cage Says Detroit Is Mostly About Androids

Near the end of the Detroit: Become Human demo I saw during E3, renegade android Markus and his partner North incite a riot among recently freed androids. If you choose to set things on fire, North triumphantly declares, “Now the humans will have no choice but to listen to us.” Main character...

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
David Grutola and Fondaumiere keep digging, to the surprise of no one...

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Oh dear. Not a good look. 'All lives matter' for a start is incredibly tone deaf...As for promoting their game, I mean yes, Detroit is kind of about those things, and I enjoyed it, but it was too on the nose with the parallels, lacking any nuance to the specific issues that might arise if AI could be considered sentient.

Even if Detroit is a fucking masterclass of a story about race & oppression ( it ain't ) - this isn't the time or platform to be promoting your own product.

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany
Using BLM to promote Civil War & Holocaust Allegories: The Game, eh? Fucking pathetic. Especially pathetic considering David Cage was so proud of telling people Detroit:BH was apolitical. Saying all lives matter in the original tweet was beyond stupid too as people constantly talk about how & why saying shit like that is fucking bullshit.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
I mean, they were the first to detect those issues with their game./s

This tweet would be hilarous if it wasn`t so bad.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Not at all surprising that the such a tone deaf hack would be promoting his awful game in such a way. Shocking, but not surprising. There is very little I have to say about DBH that's positive.

Mzril

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (3 Months): Dismissing racist language
Eh, I have no issue with the wording of the first tweet. Language wise at least.

It's the connection to his game which is just problematic when it comes to stuff like this which gets me.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Quantic Dream being a trash fire of a company is par for the course.

What you might think of the games themselves is the least of their problems.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Months): Concern Trolling and Dismissing Racism; Prior Severe Ban for Misogyny
I dunno. It could go either way. I don't see anything clearly/obviously heinous here. At the very least he is ignorant of the movement and the message, and I will give him the benefit on the doubt and say he had good intentions, based in the two tweets alone (I have no idea of his history or the company's). A lot of non colored people, especially older people, do have good intentions and aren't racist, but don't understand "all lives matter" undermines tbe "black lives matter" out of ignorance. If he doesn't mean what he says and it isn't a poor choice of words with good intentions, we'll know sooner than later.

Last edited:

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I don't see anything clearly and intentionallt heinous here. I think he is just ignorant of the movement and the message, and I will give him the benefit on the doubt and say he had good intentions, based in the two tweets alone (I have no idea of his history). A lot of non colored people, especially older people, do have good intentions and aren't racist, but don't understand "all lives matter" undermines tbe "black lives matter" out of ignorance.

Imagine making a game about racism (because it is, despite what cage says) and doing so little research into racism that you use racist rhetoric during a race war to promote said video game.

If you wrote this for a plot in a TV show, it would be thrown out for being to implausible. It's like a fucking always sunny sketch.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Imagine making a game about racism (because it is, despite what cage says) and doing so little research into racism that you use racist rhetoric during a race war to promote said video game.

If you wrote this for a plot in a TV show, it would be thrown out for being to implausible. It's like a fucking always sunny sketch.
Ok I don't know much about this game. I see, he should know better than.

Kayla

Oct 28, 2017
David cage is a piece of shit . Not surprised how racist this company is..

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
the self promotion is heinous, but the "all lives matter" part on the first tweet seems to be more of a translation/poorly worded sentence, let's not all dogpile on that

Yeah, I had the same reaction.

The only part about this I find gross, is the... selling your game part.

EDIT: And seeing that they previously denied there were actual race issues addressed in the game! Wow! You can't have it both ways - claim your game isn't political when you're trying not to upset the Gamers (TM), then claim that it is in a moment you think it might help you look tuned in to the current moment. Unreal.