• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Read the whole thing here.

Choice quote:

And so, for the first time in 23 years of working with prestigious publishers, we are now in a position to self-publish.

This new venture will allow us to make decisions in total independence, and to address the technological and strategic opportunities of next-generation platforms. It will also allow us to help other developers, by providing investment and development support, so that they can fully express their talents. We want to support creators of original projects and help them, in turn, to achieve their vision and offer quality, ground-breaking experiences.

I think this is great. It should be a boon for French and European game developers, and if the titles are as unconventional as QD's own output, I'm excited already for the possibilities.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
NEXT TIME ON DRAGON BALL Z

aW4ekrB.gif

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Would be cool if this leads to Heavy Rain making it to Switch or Xbox One, I would love to be able to play it on the go and have more people experience the game

OP
OP
Adamska

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would be cool if this leads to Heavy Rain making it to Switch or Xbox One, I would love to be able to play it on the go and have more people experience the game
I believe this goes beyond simply publishing their own games, or so the wording on the announcement led me to believe.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
Huh, this is interesting....
Where is the money coming from? Does a major corp with deep pockets own a minority share in Quantum Dream (Ten Cent, etc)?

Wish them the best. Hope they continue to improve and evolve. The ideas are interesting, at least. Sometimes the projects work, sometimes not.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Man, I wish there was a company that was exactly like Quantic Dream but it was good and it wasn't a bad workplace for women.

(I liked Detroit! I just think with that level of production, it could be way better than it is)

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I think you're going to see a lot more studios attempting to make this transition. You're not truly independent in this industry unless you're able to fund your own titles.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
The Wonderful 101 Kickstarter vs the Omikron: The Nomad Soul Kickstarter. The greatest battle of our time.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Really enjoyed Heavy Rain and Detroit, and yes, Beyond: Two Souls too.

I'm looking forward to the team's next game.

OP
OP
Adamska

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
so i think their games will be only on EPIC store in PC
Tencent invested in QD and has stock in EPIC
That's a possibility, but seeing how Tencent isn't in a position to manage QD, it's more likely that they'll target a bigger number of platforms and storefronts going forward (and maybe secure a temporary Epic exclusive period for the financial return of it).

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I liked Heavy Rain and Detroit.
Fahrenheit is enjoyable simply because of what a clusterfuck it is, truly amazing.
Hated Beyond, just fucking hated it, not even Dafoe could save it.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be interesting to see how Quantic does without Sony's support for over a decade now.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Good luck to them. Sounds like a potentially risky venture but they've been doing alright so far, so what do I know.

More games like Heavy Rain and Detroit please. Keep 'em coming.

OP
OP
Adamska

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really enjoyed Heavy Rain and Detroit, and yes, Beyond: Two Souls too.

I'm looking forward to the team's next game.
Didn't enjoy Beyond as much as the other two titles, as it is the most linear of the three, but Page, Dafoe and the supporting cast do a hell of a good job selling the game, so to say.
The Wonderful 101 Kickstarter vs the Omikron: The Nomad Soul Kickstarter. The greatest battle of our time.
Omikron did get on Steam, but published by Square Enix.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Didn't enjoy Beyond as much as the other two titles, as it is the most linear of the three, but Page, Dafoe and the supporting cast do a hell of a good job selling the game, so to say.
I agree it wasn't as strong as their better games but I first played the PS4 version, which as I understand was reworked to play out in chronological order and so maybe meshed better and made more sense?

OP
OP
Adamska

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree it wasn't as strong as their better games but I first played the PS4 version, which as I understand was reworked to play out in chronological order and so maybe meshed better and made more sense?
I actually think the original order of the scenes makes it a little more enjoyable and mysterious, but I think the game lacked for urgency since Jodie can only really be lost at the very end of the game, whereas with their other titles one felt pressured by the fact that your protagonists can fail yet the story will go on and acknowledge that. And even when you fail or make different choices in Beyond, the plot doesn't change as much.
Thinking more like. The partnership with Sony probably allowed them to get famous actors and musicians and all that.
I guess we'll have to wait and see what their next game's cast looks like.

Deleted member 57990

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 18, 2019
Quantic Dreams' games have got better with each subsequent one, to the point that Detroit, rushed endings aside, was genuinely pretty great.

Looking forward to what they do next.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
An AAA studio going into independent publishing. Now that's something you don't see often. I wonder how they'll fund this - did they make so much money off PS3 and PS4 releases or do they funnel their motion capture profits into this?

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
Good for QD. Looking forward to see what's coming next. I really enjoyed Detroit.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
As a gamer that only has Xbox and Switch this gen, I hope this means they will bring some old or at least new stuff to Xbox too.

STech

Sep 24, 2018
I've only enjoyed Heavy Rain because it was my first QD game and because I played it with my gf. It was a great experience.

Beyond and Detroit despite being good games, felt more of the same and less inspired.
I think I'm a bit tired of this formula.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Loved all Quantic Dream games I have played,so the next game will be another day one for me.