• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Good framerate

Tried to play Rayman Revolution this morning and it looked like total crap at times

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Camera controls like Xenoblade 2's. They're perfect. Adjusting the position and FOV is just glorious.

Deleted member 22070

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Pause and skip cutscenes with a long press before confirmation is pretty much always at the top for me.

I fucking HATE when they don't think about that shit.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
UI customization. Every time it's in a game I spend a good chunk of my time just tweaking that. Games like Daemon X Machina and FFXIV give me tons to play with. Most UI's in games suck by default.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I can see why devs don't want to implement save everywhere in any game, but there should be a special one time use save to 'suspend' any game indefinitely, and I don't care if its a goddamn racing game or what. Some races in racing games can take upwards of twenty minutes, and you basically have to do it in one, real life be damned.

When you reload that temporary save, it deletes, so you can't use it to save scum or retry, but you can at least attend to something that comes up without losing all your progress.
I tried to suggest this to soulsborne games and, oh boy, people got angry.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
There's been plenty of dropped frames this gen. It's not exactly set in stone. But if you can push over 60 that would be good.
A dropped frame in a fighting game every now and then isn't the same as say, getting better visuals and locking the fps to 30 or 45.

You won't see fighting games running over 60 either.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
All of the accessibility options should be standard.
Chromatic aberration toggle.

They should never standardize which menu subtitles are under. The search for it is quaint. Is it under Gameplay? Visuals? Audio? Language? Accessibility?

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A dropped frame in a fighting game every now and then isn't the same as say, getting better visuals and locking the fps to 30 or 45.

You won't see fighting games running over 60 either.
I'm just stating that devs are getting more lenient about it. Imagine if there was a performance mode at 144hz tho. It's consoles so it's consistent in application.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just stating that devs are getting more lenient about it. Imagine if there was a performance mode at 144hz tho. It's consoles so it's consistent in application.
It's not happening. Fighting game moves are tied to fps. PC's right now could easily run fighting games at higher than 60, but they don't because it would break the game.

Other genres, sure, no doubt.

Semajer

Oct 27, 2017
The correct answer is all of them.

I don't think I've seen anyone mention that menus should wrap around, and there should be a way to scroll rapidly like the C stick does in Tales of Symphonia. Rumble on/off should always rumble when you select it in the menu.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Every game should have a clock. I have a right to know how long I've been playing a title.

Recent offender to get under my skin is going from Ultra SF4 to SFV. No clock on PS4! Why remove a feature?

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
An option to disable chromatic aberration filters if they're used by deafult. Looks awful and causes major eye strain headache for many.

Oct 25, 2017
Pause and skip cutscenes with a long press before confirmation is pretty much always at the top for me.

I fucking HATE when they don't think about that shit.
What, don't you love the anticipation before pressing start during a cutscene the first time in a new game to find out if it'll pause or just skip it? It's the best.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Automatically using chest/storage/bank inventory items when crafting, instead of requiring all the materials be on the player character's inventory.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
- Photo Mode in cutscenes (as Spider-Man and Naughty Dog games allows it)
- Option to restart cut-scenes (I think Uncharted 4 has this one)

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
  1. Able to skip cut scenes
  2. Pause cut scenes
  3. Skip opening logos/ EULAs
  4. Subtitle size options
  5. Save anytime/ anywhere (depends on the game)
Sometime's I feel like that's asking for too much.

What am I missing, Era?
Not just subtitles but all text in general!

Even better, developers should just choose legible fonts and text sizes to begin with. Sometimes not only the size but also the font is the problem (Fire Emblem).

• The ability to disable splash/startup/"This game saves automatically" screens for good!
  • Pause option
  • Difficulty options

If you haven't played in a while or whatever a little popup that shows what your next step. And a Tutorial that is accessibly at any time.
Yes please.

Last edited:

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
The way Xenoblade handles side quests. You can take on a bunch of quests and then head out and complete them. That's fairly standard. The QoL is in how it handles things the completion aspect. In most games when you complete a side quest you then have to turn around and go back to the quest giver to get your reward. In Xenoblade the second you complete whatever task you were out doing you'll get your reward. There's no reason to ever return to the quest giver. To me this encourages players to take on more side quests because even if the task might not be super interesting (like kill X number of enemies or collect X number of a certain object) you'll probably end up doing that along your playthrough anyway and whenever you do the quest will complete without you have to then go back to the quest giver. Now this obviously wouldn't work for side quests that have a lot of story behind them, but most games don't have that so it'd improve that aspect of those games a lot.

Älg

Banned
May 13, 2018
Sort of an off-topic question, but does anyone know why the term QoL has been appropriated for these things specifically in the video game community? In basically every other digital industry these things would fall under the UX umbrella, and that's what the actual developers call it as well, but in the community it's commonly called QoL. Just something I've been thinking about.

TheDoctor

Oct 27, 2017
The ability to change in-game language.

You should be able to play in whatever language is available without being forced to change OS level language and locale settings.

Last edited:

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The ability to reassign your basic confirmation button. That such a basic thing is normally not a mappable option even in games that allow remapping buttons is absurd.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Dialogue that continues again if interrupted.

Like in Uncharted 4 when they're like, "Oh uh, what was I saying again?"

Oct 25, 2017
  • The ability to disable splash/startup/"This game saves automatically" screens for good!
Always assumed there were legal issues preventing that. It's the first thing I google when I'm about to launch a game on PC for the second time, if the game itself doesn't let me skip them. Just don't do it the first time around because I actually enjoy watching the little logo animations once, but they get old very quickly.

Oct 31, 2017
I'm still mad that I can't skip cutscenes in Final Fantasy X.

I recently played X-2 and I could not believe that there are some cutscenes where you can't even pause them. And if you skip a cutscene it won't be buyable as a Movie Sphere and you can miss out on the good ending. Fuck outta here. Basically make sure to never get a Game Over

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
Skip cutscenes and save anywhere. I don't care if saving everywhere makes some basement person feel like the "challenge" is gone or I'm making it easier on myself and I don't deserve it. I'm a grown ass person with shit going on and I can't always get to the next checkpoint or save marker when something urgent comes up. The ability to just suspend any game on Switch helps since I'm usually only playing one game at a time...until I'm not.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
  1. Able to skip cut scenes
  2. Pause cut scenes
  3. Skip opening logos/ EULAs
  4. Subtitle size options
  5. Save anytime/ anywhere (depends on the game)
Sometime's I feel like that's asking for too much.

What am I missing, Era?

I agree with everything here, especially skippable dialog and cutscenes.

In theory, Borderlands 3 has a ton of replayability, right?

In practice I am absolutely not willing to wade through all those cutscenes again. How the developers made that decision in 2019 I can't understand.

used2Bcat

Oct 27, 2017
- I Liked how We Happy Few let you craft Lockpick from the locker itself and use it immediately if you have the parts, you don't have to pause, craft, then unpause and use it!.

- (HDR specific): Make HDR calibration screens more helpful. Too often it's just a picture with a slider and no indication of what the ideal setting should be, and on top of that every game seems to do this differently.

I agree.

wtd2009

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
I always liked the way tales of did the majority of their cut scenes where you can skip a portion of the cut scene one dialogue line or camera shot at a time. That way you breeze through the boring conversation driven cut scenes at the speed of your reading ability without actually missing the scene.

djnhkguy

May 10, 2019
Seattle, WA
One thing I didn't see mentioned yet that drives me insane when it's not present:

If there's a goal/objective marker on a mini-map, there should also be an indicator if that objective is above or below you.

Deleted member 26746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
A you wanna pick up/tutorial refresh mode if you have not played the game in a long time

Language and subtitles selection not tied to your console language

dhlt25

Oct 27, 2017
skip/pause cut scene
suspend anywhere. I understand the argument for not allowing save anywhere
FOV slider
clear highlight of different in what you just pick up vs what you have equip (can't believe so many games don't have this still with RPG element in everything now)

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
- (HDR specific): Make HDR calibration screens more helpful. Too often it's just a picture with a slider and no indication of what the ideal setting should be, and on top of that every game seems to do this differently.

THIS

my god... this drives me crazy, every game looks different and i'm paranoid that is looking wrong so i just turn it off :/

DeadeyeNull

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 26, 2018
Colorblind options that ONLY CHANGE the necessary HUD elements. Colorblind modes that put a filter over the whole world are weird and bad.
For me I would want a robust suite of color blind options. HUD elements, filter, specific objects, dialog, and any combination. Colorblind people don't all have the same colorblindness or severity so more then just on or off.

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
Multiple custom map markers that can be placed with a player assigned icon or name like in BOTW or D:OS2.

It's great in exploration heavy games, you can mark points of interest or even mask out areas you have explored by placing several of them and joining the dots in your head.

I really like how you can connect markers in Death Stranding to plot a custom route too.

Last edited:

Studge

Oct 25, 2017
What, don't you love the anticipation before pressing start during a cutscene the first time in a new game to find out if it'll pause or just skip it? It's the best.
When I'm not sure if I can pause I just press the "home" button for whatever console I'm on. It's required for a game to pass certification that it freeze wherever it was when you press the button and then pick up at that spot when you return. ALT+TAB on PC usually works this way for me too.

I agree cutscene pausing should be standard but until that happens at least there is a method that works pretty much the same.