• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Good cost of living. Affordable. No state income tax.

If you're living anywhere other than the beach it's ugly as hell. Mind searing heat and humidity from May-August, with temperatures still reaching into the 80s during the months of March/April/September/October/November. Afternoon thunderstorms that appear out of nowhere are a daily occurrence in the summer.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Florida is fine.

The heat does penetrate your soul though. Shade does nothing. Rain makes it hotter. Only AC can give you relief.

From upstate New York originally. Lived in Florida for 20 years. Have never gotten used to the heat and always miss the winters.

In Tampa you only get Summer and Fall as seasons normally.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Good cost of living. Affordable. No state income tax.

If you're living anywhere other than the beach it's ugly as hell. Mind searing heat and humidity from May-August, with temperatures still reaching into the 80s during the months of March/April/September/October/November. Afternoon thunderstorms that appear out of nowhere are a daily occurrence in the summer.
My mom has a split ranch house in her retirement community. The unit herself is valued at the same as my 1bdrm here in the Boston area, and she pays less than 1/2 the condo fees. Plus she has a pool, tennis courts, a beautiful
man made pond (with tons of iguanas), etc, etc.

I'm seriously thinking of moving there (or anywhere I can afford).

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
As a Florida native avoid the northern part of the state. You run into less Florida men if you live in the major cities. Florida men are usually in the rural parts.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
Like many people have said, best places to move are Hillsborough, Pinellas, or Miami-Dade Counties. Orange County is nice too, but I prefer the other 3. Miami gets extra points if you're younger than 25.

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando is pretty good. You get a mix of small city and major city and good beaches are less than two hours away. And we got theme parks. And we actually have a nice food scene. Very decent breweries too.

Downside? I-4. Fuck that trash interstate.
I will never understand people complaining about traffic in places other than LA and NYC. I've never been to Seattle so I cant comment but I've been to most places I see people complain about. Rush hour on the I4 was a random Tuesday at 1PM in Queens, NY.

Roads here are trash, I was in heaven when I went to Orlando. Driving didn't make me hate my life

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Moved to Tampa a few years ago, I'm enjoying it quite a bit more than the Indianapolis area that I left behind.

Tampa is definitely growing really fast so it seems like a good area to be in.

Also I feel like people overstate the heat, Indianapolis had hotter days in the summer than Tampa, the difference is that Tampa is warm/hot nearly year round. I'm pretty sure it's never broken 100F in recorded history for the city.

I will never understand people complaining about traffic in places other than LA and NYC. I've never been to Seattle so I cant comment but I've been to most places I see people complain about. Rush hour on the I4 was a random Tuesday at 1PM in Queens, NY.

Roads here are trash, I was in heaven when I went to Orlando. Driving didn't make me hate my life
It's not just the traffic, it's the fact that Florida drivers are legitimately terrible and I-4 feels like a death trap.

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Moved to Tampa a few years ago, I'm enjoying it quite a bit more than the Indianapolis area that I left behind.

Tampa is definitely growing really fast so it seems like a good area to be in.

Also I feel like people overstate the heat, Indianapolis had hotter days in the summer than Tampa, the difference is that Tampa is warm/hot nearly year round. I'm pretty sure it's never broken 100F in recorded history for the city.

It's not just the traffic, it's the fact that Florida drivers are legitimately terrible and I-4 feels like a death trap.
Idk man, maybe I'm too used to NY.

or maybe that week I was there I got lucky.

bc NY is a shitshow. I actually got to relax and just drive without having to have my head on a swivel because someone is trying to merge from a side when there's not even a lane there.

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
I lived there when I was in the military (Jacksonville). They have some absolutely huge roaches...and they can fly.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Idk man, maybe I'm too used to NY.

or maybe that week I was there I got lucky.

bc NY is a shitshow. I actually got to relax and just drive without having to have my head on a swivel because someone is trying to merge from a side when there's not even a lane there.
Sounds like you got lucky, it seems like every day I have to dodge onto the shoulder because some asshole in a lifted truck swerves into my lane with no turn signal and comes within inches of hitting me.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
My potential job is 5 minutesfrom there
Real estate is fucking cheap in the Melbourne/Palm Bay areas. I looked for shits and giggles a few weeks ago and was seeing 2000 sqft homes for around $190k that were built in the early 2000s.

I should say vs. my county - Pinellas where I just bought a 850 sqft home built in the 50s for 210k

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
If you can deal with the heat/humidity, the almost daily 1-2 hour rain storms, and hurricane season it's a fantastic place to live. I wish I still lived in Orlando and plan to move back in the next few years.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
I interviewed for an engineering job in the defense sector there a couple of years ago when I was job-hunting prior to graduation.

The people I interviewed with were 50/50 split on loving/hating the area. It was amusing.

My friends (who did accept their job offers from that company) all love it, though. Cost of living is very good, and it's close to Orlando.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you can deal with the heat/humidity, the almost daily 1-2 hour rain storms, and hurricane season it's a fantastic place to live. I wish I still lived in Orlando and plan to move back in the next few years.
I somehow spent 24 years of my life in Florida without ever being directly hit by a hurricane.

I've seen several tornadoes though.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I somehow spent 24 years of my life in Florida without ever being directly hit by a hurricane.

I've seen several tornadoes though.

I had to deal with Fey my freshmen year of college (2008). It was nicknamed the rainicane because it was mostly just tons of rain for that week which was during marching band camp. I went through 3 pairs of shoes walking to and from indoor practice each day (I had no car at the time).

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I like coral springs where I live. About 30 minutes away from different cities and beaches. Cost of living isnt terrible either.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
Pros:
-Orlando and Tampa are decently cool cities.
-Reasonable cost of living in some areas.
-Fantastic state parks & beautiful natural scenery.
-Tons of great hiking and kayaking.
-Interesting history, if you go looking for it.

Cons:
-Oppressive heat and humidity. Tampa isn't quite as bad because it's on the coast. Orlando is a swamp.
-Hurricanes.
-Endless, featureless suburbia in many places.
-State politics are a disaster.
-Hurricanes.

I grew up in Florida but eventually left because I (a) couldn't take the humidity any more and (b) realized I'd never want to spend money on property that's just going to eventually get walloped by a hurricane...which disqualified all of the good parts of Florida.

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017

My family lives in Melbourne. I also grew up there.

Homes are inexpensive. There are a lot of great (K-12) schools in the area if you have a family. Close access to the beach and Disney/Theme parks/ Orlando are only 45 mins- 1 hour away.

Downsides is the weather if you are not used too it. Central/South FL only has 2 seasons. Summer and Fall ( Hurricane season as well if that counts).

Also Melbourne/ Palm Bay has a large older population much like most of FL. The politics in the county are solid red because of this.

But outside of that it's a great place to live. I've lived all over the state (Jax, Tallahassee, and Tampa) so feel free to ask about other parts as well.

luminosity

Oct 30, 2017
Hot and humid, yes, but if you can deal with that, keep in mind:

Everywhere has Air Conditioning. And if near the coast, there is a breeze usually.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
If youre lured in by seeing all those beach volleyball setups in those apartment complexes, just be aware that homeless cats just see that as the communal kitty litter box

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
OH i forgot, the cold down here goes right to your bone. The humidity is a whole nother world when it comes to winter, even it seems to only be a few weekends a year it can get to you once you get used to the constant heat.

cmon man

4Ow8oUq.png

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
South Florida was a highly diverse and fun place to live. Cost of living is disproportionately high compared to salaries, so consider that if you are carrying considerable educational debt. My own six-figure student loan debt was a big factor in why I relocated, and I am now making about 40% more annually and paying about the same for my apartment. The lifestyle is something that I still miss years later and I hope to eventually return.

Hearing your criteria, I would look between the West Palm Beach and Stuart areas of South Florida. WPB is the northern end of the Miami metro and it turns suburban/rural quickly as you move north from there. Housing should be much cheaper and you'll have easy access to the major cities via I95. There's a higher-speed rail called Brightline that runs between WPB and Miami, but service started after I left the area so I can't vouch for it.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Florida is pretty great especially around the central Florida area. Right in the middle here when you're getting into lake county into Orange, cost of living is still very good and there is a lot of amenities and natural things to do out there. You are probably an hour away from the coast on the east side and those are some nice beaches like New Smyrna, Daytona, or any of the Flagler county beaches.
inland is where the real treasures are in the springs and all the natural trails. The cross Florida Greenway with stretches just about the entirety of the state left to right and areas in the Ocala national Forest provide beautiful springs like Alexander and silverglen. If you're in the Gainesville area you're closer to the devil's Den and Ginnie springs which is absolutely glorious.

I could probably talk to you about nothing but springs and trails and sell you on the natural beauty down here.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
I moved from Portland, OR to Miami, FL nearly 5 years ago now and temperature wise it looks like you're making a very similar transition.
I love it here. I live 15-20 minutes away from the beach (no highway needed), there's no state income tax and it's a melting pot culturally speaking, so i love that.

It's very hot and humid during the summers. Some people say you get used to it, others dont. I've known people that have lived here most of their lives that have said they still arent used to it. I, myself, love going to the beach and wearing shorts and a tee, so it doesnt bother me to melt a little.
Just make sure you have central AC! None of that window AC bs. If you have central, you'll be fine.

Other than that, the food is great since you'll encounter a lot of Caribbean and South American joints to eat at. The women are gorgeous and the beaches are beautiful. The water is actually warm! It amazed me when i first moved here lol. Gas isn't bad, especially right now. The i95 is a madhouse down here though so be ready to see at least 1 accident on there every day; the drivers are notoriously the worst here. Probably one of the biggest drawbacks about FL.

Summertime is also storm/hurricane season, so be prepared for that insurance wise and housing wise; get hurricane/impact windows and renters insurance if you rent. It may seem scary at first (yesterday was the loudest thunderstorm i've heard since i've moved here) but usually its quite beautiful to watch and the rain is kind of relaxing to hear sometimes.... When it's not an actual hurricane.

Other than that, good luck! Hope you enjoy it in FL

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I fucking hate it here

I can't find a decent paying job or an affordable place to live. Lots of people I know are living in foreclosed homes or living with multiple people to make rent.

I get trump rallys near my house a lot as well.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I moved from Portland, OR to Miami, FL nearly 5 years ago now and temperature wise it looks like you're making a very similar transition.
I love it here. I live 15-20 minutes away from the beach (no highway needed), there's no state income tax and it's a melting pot culturally speaking, so i love that.

That's a hell of a transition. Never been to the PNW, but it sounds pretty amazing up there as well.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
Former NY native (22 yrs)

Florida is stupid hot (you don't get used to it). Humid as ziplocked testies. Schools aren't the greatest (if you have kids), and we have the worst drivers on the planet.

BUT

If you're willing to move north of Orlando, there are some amazing value propositions regarding real estate.

I paid $238k for a 3200 sqft home. That's ridiculous. And I'm only 25 minutes from Orlando.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Fair.

I think my fondness for central Florida is forever clouded by how low my expectations were before I went. I thought I would hate, hate, hate it, and then I lived there for a while and was like "hey, this isn't so bad."

I was born and raised here so it's a difference in perspective for sure.

Most of my issues are probably from being depressed and a single dad. Something that will be an issue in most states. It's tough making rent and daycare on a single paycheck. When I was married we never had issues with a place and now we're both basically homeless.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone seems to live in bungalows, that's the only observation I can offer based on my time there :P

Sadsic

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
+ Cost of living is fairly low compared to other high population states
+ Lots of stuff to do (Beaches, theme parks, nightclubs etc)
+ Doesn't snow

- Population is filled with a combination of rednecks, racist snowbirds and elderly racist snowbird rednecks
- State funded benefits are atrocious (terrible health care system, poor public transportation system, welfare is difficult to get)
- The police are allowed to put you in a mental hospital against your will and will treat you like a criminal if you have any sort of mental health crisis (Look up baker acting)
- You will end up in the media if you are arrested against your will because Florida publishes all the information about arrested peoples publicly
- Hurricanes are getting worse with climate change and will regularly destroy the coastlines
- Regular thunderstorms there are also crazy as fuck compared to New York
- The humidity is atrocious
- There are giant bugs everywhere and they will get in your home no matter what pretty much
- The state republicans are extremely corrupt and the state democrats are extremely ineffectual

Overall a terrible place that I would not move back to willingly, and can be a death sentence for anyone with mental illness

Oct 27, 2017
+1 for Orlando, specifically the quiet suburbs in North Orlando. A middle sized metro area, not too bad other than I-4, good eating scene. I'm biased though, I grew up here. If you're finishing a residency, I'm assuming you'll be well off, so just take toll roads. You can afford it.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Good cost of living and warm weather is always better than cold weather. Depending on how much money you make and whether you are a black male, your tolerance for florida natives will vary.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I moved to Florida from Colorado for a year and a half about a decade ago and immediately regretted the decision. While not all parts of Florida are bad it just was NOT for me.

First mother nature is always attempting to murder you. Severe storms, hurricanes, 100 degree heat with 99% humidity for like 7-8 months a year. It's horrible. I basically stopped doing shit outside, even the beaches would be exhausting from the heat imo.

Second, I was shocked at how many fucking rednecks live in this state. Even in the larger cities, as much as half of the population looks like Joe Exotic, I swear to god. Lots of just ignorant people.

That said, St. Augustine is beautiful and was one of my favorite places to spend a weekend with the shops, restaurants and beaches nearby. So it wasn't all horrible.

TLDR: 6/10 would not recomend.