• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know if they've fixed the stuttering movement on PC at high frame rates? I tried to play it, but it just makes the whole game feel bad (because you're always moving).

AgentStrange

Oct 25, 2017
If we did Doom, we absolutely wouldn't change the resolution. It's running the original software renderer which has limitations in performance and integer accuracy, but Doom's various sprite and level designs 100% requires aspects of how that software renderer uniquely works.

Frankly, if we did Doom, it wouldn't be obviously different from what's already there now. It's a vanilla port with various QOL changes and built in add-on support. The only thing we could bring to the table is online multiplayer, and due to various circumstances that's not something we'd have in an alternate reality anyway, only more time could ever hope to introduce that given the monumental amount of work involved in that task.

Thank you for all your hard work on bringing new life to these classic games, my man. I look forward to Kingpin and System Shock

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Could be fun depending on the maps. Maps are why I don't really like the horde mode in Dusk

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
If we did Doom, we absolutely wouldn't change the resolution. It's running the original software renderer which has limitations in performance and integer accuracy, but Doom's various sprite and level designs 100% requires aspects of how that software renderer uniquely works.

Frankly, if we did Doom, it wouldn't be obviously different from what's already there now. It's a vanilla port with various QOL changes and built in add-on support. The only thing we could bring to the table is online multiplayer, and due to various circumstances that's not something we'd have in an alternate reality anyway, only more time could ever hope to introduce that given the monumental amount of work involved in that task.

:(
I'll just keep playing on ZDoom then...

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Did this update omprove the aiming on switch? It was pretty poor last time I tried. Like if you push right it doesn',t just look right it goes slightly up and or down too.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
:(
I'll just keep playing on ZDoom then...
ZDoom would be a very wrong direction for us to take a classic Doom port. We'd prefer to keep the physics and gameplay intact, which the official port already does. :P
(Yes, ZDoom has compatibility options, no they don't all work as advertised. You can't even enable Ghost Monsters and nothing will ever restore the physics completely.)

Did this update omprove the aiming on switch? It was pretty poor last time I tried. Like if you push right it doesn',t just look right it goes slightly up and or down too.
That sounds like your deadzone is/was set too low.

Last edited:

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if they've fixed the stuttering movement on PC at high frame rates? I tried to play it, but it just makes the whole game feel bad (because you're always moving).
Not sure, but I'd suggest playing at exactly 60 or 120 FPS. Anything in between results in some weird judder for me even though I have a G-Sync monitor (and it's properly enabled). I don't have that issue with the Quake source ports.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
NO. No Machine Games. id proper only please. Please stop giving Quake second-rate devs. Quake 4 and Quake Champions have caused enough suffering for Quake fans. We need a proper release. I'm sorry - Machine Games is a good developer, but they are not id.
Come on Quake 4 was good.

And the medical station scene was hardcore as fuck.

As for Machine Games, hopefully the drop the stupid sitcom cutscenes. I can't imagine Quake with that stupid slapstick comedy.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
Played through a few levels today. Great game! It's easy to see that this game was an evolution of their previous works, I really like it. I find it strange there's no map though? It felt necessary for the really tough Doom levels.

The graphics are very nice too. They're obviously a technical improvement over the original Doom games, but they still have retro appeal to them.

Good shit! Love uncovering these classic iD gems.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
My impressions:
  • Horde mode is fantastic. The kill streak bonuses and powerups rewarded from killing monsters is an unexpected treat.
  • Would be cool to see more weapons and enemies from the expansions in Horde mode. I want to take out giant scorpions with ricochet lasers already.
  • I hope we can see more gameplay mods as addons, like Copper
  • I've still had issues with input delay. This was partially fixed by switching to Direct3D, but I'm shocked that this bug still made it through.

I'm incredibly grateful to see classic games get modern updates like this.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
I've still had issues with input delay. This was partially fixed by switching to Direct3D, but I'm shocked that this bug still made it through.
The reason it "made it through" is you're having a system specific issue, we wouldn't have permitted it if it was happening to us. We've had no reports of input latency either from our own QA testers or Bethesda's, even from testing with a high speed camera. And unfortunately without your computer physically in our hands, we can't diagnose what your issue is being caused by, you'll need to do some investigations yourself.

You may have an errant system configuration or device connected that's greatly throttling whichever input pipeline SDL2 is reading.

Oh and worth being sure as people made this mistake before with Doom64; You're not running this on Linux are you? As that will be running through Proton, meaning that's a bug you'll want to report to the Proton developers.

Last edited:

Bitterman

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
There's nothing more I want than a new Quake being made with a fantastic, return-to-form multiplayer which takes over the world of shooters like the good old days.

MerluzaSamus

Dec 3, 2018
lol
Well, they're basically wearing the same uniform already was my joke.
Other than the objectification that I would hope would be gone from a modernized Crash.
But the helmet is different! (It has that killer tv static effect)

images

Still, I would do terrible things to have a modern, badass take on Crash and Phobos, we need them back!
I mean, she was the one who trained not only the Slayer, but the rest of the folks at the arena... Her original lore gives a lot of room to go crazy with her.

Oct 25, 2017
But the helmet is different! (It has that killer tv static effect)

images

Still, I would do terrible things to have a modern, badass take on Crash and Phobos, we need them back!
I mean, she was the one who trained not only the Slayer, but the rest of the folks at the arena... Her original lore gives a lot of room to go crazy with her.

I unironically want them to go crazy and have all the characters be involved in an actual story mode.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
Onto the final boss!

Awesome game. I probably enjoyed this more than the classic Doom games. It's so easy to see their appeal, and it's been fun to see the progression of iD's ideas, both gameplay and story.

I truly love their games, from Classic Doom to Quake and now the modern Doom games. I've been really bored of the FPS genre for many years now, but they easily revitalized my love for it.

I'm hoping the rumors of a modern Quake reboot are true! I'd love a success to Doom Eternal that brings more new ideas into the genre.