• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 4, 2018

bethesda.net

Quake | Update 2 Release Notes | December 2

Update 2 is now available for Quake on all platforms

QUAKE - UPDATE 2 RELEASE NOTES

Update 2 contains a brand-new Horde Mode made by MachineGames with 1-4 player co-op (including optional bots), new Add-on "Honey", some quality-of-life improvements, and bug fixes.
It also marks the Quake release on the Epic Games Store (for PC). With Horde Mode you can play solo, with bots, or friends, and face off against waves of enemies of increasing difficulty. Earn Silver Keys to unlock access to better weapons. Survive long enough and earn a Gold Key, which will allow you to escape, or stay behind and fight against the armies of Quake until you fall

HORDE MODE

Overview
  • All new multiplayer PvE experience designed by MachineGames
  • Supports 1 - 4 players or bots in local multiplayer and online modes (Custom matches only)
  • Playable on all difficulty levels
  • Includes 4 new maps specifically designed for Horde Mode
Rules
  • Score points by killing enemies
  • Kill multiple enemies in quick succession for bonus points
  • Your progression is reset after the last player dies
  • Every 3rd wave has boss monsters but once you clear it, you get a Silver key to unlock more weapons and items
  • After the 9th wave, you get a gold key to unlock the exit, or you can keep fighting as long as you are able
  • Monsters have a chance of dropping quad damage and the pentagram of protection (powerups last for 5 seconds once picked up and despawn if not picked up after 10 seconds)

NEW ADD-ON: HONEY

QUAKE HONEY in-body 5

• Expand your Quake experience with the free Honey Add-on and delve deep into the darkness to conquer a deadly plague infecting the land
  • For a unique look behind the curtain, check out our Nods to Mods interview with the author of "Honey", MachineGames' own Senior Level Designer - Christian Grawer here
  • Read more about how to access Honey here

IMPROVEMENTS

ALL PLATFORMS
  • Improved auto aim to reduce amount of snapping and view locking onto enemies
  • Crosshair color and type can now be changed from the Gameplay options menu
  • Add-ons menu can now be used to play previously downloaded add-ons while offline
  • Text chat and push to talk voice chat are now available in pre-game lobbies
PC Only
  • Added ability to invite friends across PC platforms using players on your Bethesda.net friends list (optional)

RANGER SKINS IN QUAKE CHAMPIONS AND DOOM ETERNAL

DE QC RangerSkins--1920x1080

• Owners of our Quake re-release can log in with their Bethesda.net credentials in-game to earn the Ranger Slayer Skin for DOOM Eternal and the Quake Guy Ranger Skin with the Gladus Axe in Quake Champions! (NOTE: In addition to owning Quake, players must also own DOOM Eternal or Quake Champions to use their respective skins)
  • For more info, click here

BUG FIXES

ALL PLATFORMS
  • Fixed Death Knight incorrectly referred to as Hell Knight in the main Quake campaign
  • Bots now chat less
  • Fixed cases where texture borders were visible around certain HUD elements
  • Fixed weapon firing immediately after respawning in multiplayer
  • Turning off Enable Microphone before connecting to online services now properly mutes the microphone
PlayStation 5
  • Fixed a crash related to secret levels when loading a save
  • Fixed controller audio not playing in multiplayer when in someone else's lobby
Nintendo Switch
  • Deadzone and other sliders should no longer have unselectable values
  • Fixed achievement popup getting cut off when the pause menu is active
Microsoft Store (PC)
  • "First Controller" setting now works correctly

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
This was unexpected, but delightful.

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Amazing.
I believe Machine Games is working on a new Quake title and they're "training" with all the content they released for OG Quake
I'm sure we're gonna see some of those new content themes on the new game, just like it happened with Doom 2016 MP and Doom Eternal

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Def. digging into those Honey maps this weekend.

Man I love Bethesda's reissues of Doom / 64 / Quake.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
God. This is such a great buy at $10.

I was sorta hoping the retro GTA 3D trilogy was going to include some co-op/mp features like the Doom and Quake ones have.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Amazing.
I believe Machine Games is working on a new Quake title and they're "training" with all the content they released for OG Quake
I'm sure we're gonna see some of those new content themes on the new game, just like it happened with Doom 2016 MP and Doom Eternal

I really, really hope so. I'm tired of the Quake 1 erasure, and it's nice to see so much love being given to it now. It's reboot time, Bethesda!

StrangeADT

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing.
NO. No Machine Games. id proper only please. Please stop giving Quake second-rate devs. Quake 4 and Quake Champions have caused enough suffering for Quake fans. We need a proper release. I'm sorry - Machine Games is a good developer, but they are not id.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
Honey is tops, everyone. Any CZG maps are usually great, and Honey was his "farewell to Quake mods" project released nearly a decade ago. It's hardly aged since. Excellent pacing, difficulty, and Gothic atmosphere.

NO. No Machine Games. iD proper only please. Please stop giving Quake second-rate devs. I'm sorry - Machine Games is good, but they are not iD.
I don't know about the rest of the developers, but the buy behind the Honey maps in this update, Christian Grawer (aka CZG), is easily one of the best, most experienced designers working on FPSes. There's a lot of professional/semi-pro Quake modders who'd pitch in to such a project if it made sense. At least a third of the contributors to Arcane Dimensions, including the project leader, already work at some studio.

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
NO. No Machine Games. id proper only please. Please stop giving Quake second-rate devs. Quake 4 and Quake Champions have caused enough suffering for Quake fans. We need a proper release. I'm sorry - Machine Games is a good developer, but they are not id.
I know nu-Wolf 2 was considered kind of a miss but literally everything Q1 MachineGames has produced has been ace. All the new episodes they've worked on have been excellent and while I know that doesn't directly translate to a good standalone Quake sequel, it does bode well.

StrangeADT

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I know nu-Wolf 2 was considered kind of a miss but literally everything Q1 MachineGames has produced has been ace. All the new episodes they've worked on have been excellent and while I know that doesn't directly translate to a good standalone Quake sequel, it does bode well.
It's literally my favorite series of games of all time and it hasn't had a good (new) release in 22 years. I'm sure you can understand why I would be extremely disappointed if Machine Games was working on this. (not that I matter, but still).

neonxaos

Oct 29, 2017
I was so confused, I thought this was a new mode for Quake Champions. So they added this to the original, huh... And I would most certainly play a Quake by Machine Games. I actually enjoyed Quake Champions a lot, but that online experience... so many issues.

StrangeADT

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I was so confused, I thought this was a new mode for Quake Champions. So they added this to the original, huh... And I would most certainly play a Quake by Machine Games. I actually enjoyed Quake Champions a lot, but that online experience... so many issues.
They did some good things, but the support and marketing was anemic, and the technology old and underwhelming. I want id proper to be working on this because then I know it will get the resources behind it to make it popular again. If they throw it to some alternative developer it'll never get the marketing budget, the technical excellence, or long-term support that it would get if it was being invested in heavily enough to be an id proper release. Quake used to be the absolute pinnacle of technology and tight gameplay. Quake Champions is just such a joke comparatively. Same kind of F2P disease that is the worst parts of Halo Infinite. Halo Infinite is fantastic - I'm enjoying it thoroughly - but I don't think it's a particularly controversial take that it would be a better game if it was not F2P cause then they wouldn't need to add bullshit incentives (at least not to the same degree) for monetization purposes.

Honey is tops, everyone. Any CZG maps are usually great, and Honey was his "farewell to Quake mods" project released nearly a decade ago. It's hardly aged since. Excellent pacing, difficulty, and Gothic atmosphere.

I don't know about the rest of the developers, but the buy behind the Honey maps in this update, Christian Grawer (aka CZG), is easily one of the best, most experienced designers working on FPSes. There's a lot of professional/semi-pro Quake modders who'd pitch in to such a project if it made sense. At least a third of the contributors to Arcane Dimensions, including the project leader, already work at some studio.
It's not entirely about the devs. To reiterate - if it's an id proper release, it'll be given the budget and support in every avenue to be great again.

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
As in quake 1?
I just bought it for $4 too
Made a thread as is its my first time playing Quake ever.
LTTP incoming

Azubah

Dec 30, 2017
I'm surprised and this is awesome.

Are they adding more to the other Quake games? I'd love to see some expansion stuff for Quake 4.

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017
A new Quake with the care of new Doom & Eternal would melt my brain.

Love the Q1 atmosphere.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really hope we get a banging new quake game on the levels of Doom Eternal. I loved champions but the game is dead sadly. The old ones don't do anything for me unfortunately, so here's hoping the next entry is a success.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Dunno why it took me like 10 times seeing this thread to realize they were talking about the og quake I bought on Switch and not Quake Champions.

Urishizu

Dead Drop Studios Founder
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I absolutely love that a game as old as Quake is getting these amazing updates!

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
It's great that Quake has been getting a surge in official support, it's making me feel confident in their ability to make a whole new Quake game in the style of the first one. Never got into the sequels that were more sci-fi based, gimmie that Q1 art style for a new generation baby.

I'll be sure to check this out, been meaning to play the remaster :)

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Doom looks quite bad on consoles, they should get Nightdive Studios to port it again
Like, running with a higher resolution and letting me choose what HUD I wanna use
If we did Doom, we absolutely wouldn't change the resolution. It's running the original software renderer which has limitations in performance and integer accuracy, but Doom's various sprite and level designs 100% requires aspects of how that software renderer uniquely works.

Frankly, if we did Doom, it wouldn't be obviously different from what's already there now. It's a vanilla port with various QOL changes and built in add-on support. The only thing we could bring to the table is online multiplayer, and due to various circumstances that's not something we'd have in an alternate reality anyway, only more time could ever hope to introduce that given the monumental amount of work involved in that task.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Having this Quake port on PS5 has been the biggest surprise hit in my game library this year. I forgot just how fucking good that game was with the original Reznor soundtrack and all. Beat it twice already.