• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Log!

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I hope Machinegames doesn't stop making campaigns for Quake, 'cause I'm loving some of the new horde mode maps.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious about the modding stuff in the last update: is that opening the door for ports of stuff like Arcane Dimensions? I know one of the add-ons already has a mod as part of it but I assume it's a bit more far reaching for the AD stuff.

Even if it can't be done as an "official" release due to the Hexen stuff, is it feasible it could work with the remaster if released separately?

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
I'm curious about the modding stuff in the last update: is that opening the door for ports of stuff like Arcane Dimensions? I know one of the add-ons already has a mod as part of it but I assume it's a bit more far reaching for the AD stuff.

Even if it can't be done as an "official" release due to the Hexen stuff, is it feasible it could work with the remaster if released separately?
This has always been possible. None of the Quake modding stuff has been removed from the original engine, so you've always been able to make and load custom content. We did make a change in Update 1 so you can even load stuff into the mod menu manually if you wanted to go that route (as in instead of command line or dev console commands), instead of it just being server entries.
The modding stuff in Update 3 is just new QuakeC functions to interact with the bot systems more, and changing the compiler logic so it can use names rather than pre determined numbers to help prevent conflicts with QuakeC op code numbers with other ports.

There's been a rather strange number of people spreading misinformation about this Quake port, including it's supposed lack of support for third party content. But the truth is that nothing about that support has ever been lost, only ever expanded upon from the original engine, given this is directly built from the original glQuake. And from the get go we've removed just about every memory limit we could find, expanded the netcode entity limits and added in a lot of new features just for DotM alone. But it all still operates the same way, and can be modded the same way with the same tools.

Last edited:

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I haven't played any of the MachineGames packs yet but are they essentially just fun new campaigns using Quake, or are they supposed to be official episodes?

Either way, loving the support it's still getting.

Dec 6, 2017
US
This game is still intense and menacing as fuck even all this time later. Making this fully available especially with the original Reznor score is so cool. That score makes the game in my opinion and I hadn't played it that way since it came out.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
This has always been possible. None of the Quake modding stuff has been removed from the original engine, so you've always been able to make and load custom content. We did make a change in Update 1 so you can even load stuff into the mod menu manually if you wanted to go that route (as in instead of command line or dev console commands), instead of it just being server entries.
The modding stuff in Update 3 is just new QuakeC functions to interact with the bot systems more, and changing the compiler logic so it can use names rather than pre determined numbers to help prevent conflicts with QuakeC op code numbers with other ports.

There's been a rather strange number of people spreading misinformation about this Quake port, including it's supposed lack of support for third party content. But the truth is that nothing about that support has ever been lost, only ever expanded upon from the original engine, given this is directly built from the original glQuake. And from the get go we've removed just about every memory limit we could find, expanded the netcode entity limits and added in a lot of new features just for DotM alone. But it all still operates the same way, and can be modded the same way with the same tools.
Thanks, I'll cross my fingers then!

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
New update on Steam. Adds a bunch of accessibility options:
ze7umlH.png

The low res option on PC is still busted, guess they're not gonna bother fixing it.
Release Notes.

bethesda.net

Quake | Update 3 Release Notes

Update 3 is now available for Quake on all platforms

safety_lite

Jan 16, 2018
Chicago, IL
Love the support this game continues to get! Any word from Machine Games on another expansion?

DotM was THE BEST! I hope their Quake Mapping club is still working together.

Deleted member 31423

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
So far I've beaten quake and dimensions of the past. The first three episodes of quake were all right but I hated episode 4. Dimensions of the past was just more of the same and I was feeling fatigued. So I was surprised when I started scourge of Armagon and was greeted by metal music and a bunch of new weapons. I also tried the first level of dimension of the machine and it's like night and day from playing the other episodes. The graphics are such a leap forward. Excellent stuff there from machine games.

Deleted member 31423

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Finished the scourge of armagon campaign. That's my favorite campaign so far. I really prefer quake with a rock soundtrack as opposed to the noise in the original game. Is Armagon suppose to be a Strogg cause he certainly looks like one?

Last edited:

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the scourge of armagon campaign. That's my favorite campaign so far. I really prefer quake with a rock soundtrack as opposed to the noise in the original game. Is Armagon suppose to be a Strong cause he certainly looks like one?
I quite like the Quake expansions, and i'm really happy to hear you're enjoying them! When you're done, be sure to check out the mods that are available. There are only 3 (outside of Quake 64), and they're all worth playing. Especially Honey.

I have spent so much time on this remaster. It's everything I wanted and more. Nightdive do incredible work, and i'm a lifelong fan.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
it's the best version as it has gyro aim and hd rumble and it's portable at 60fps.
If you would own multiple consoles, this one is the way to go.
I would say ps5 version, adaptive triggers and haptic feed back is another step above switch hd rumble. Plus 4k 120fps if you got the display. I prefer it over pc version even due to DualSense support alone.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I would say ps5 version, adaptive triggers and haptic feed back is another step above switch hd rumble. Plus 4k 120fps if you got the display. I prefer it over pc version even due to DualSense support alone.
I was surprised at how much the DualSense added to Quake.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
I was surprised at how much the DualSense added to Quake.
Yup, it is is literally 1 button (R2), I mean haptic feedback, gyro, controller speaker as well but but that R2 tension is awesome. Wish they would support DualSense on pc like many bethesda games. It has some performance dip however and load time isnt instantaneous which is actually surprising to me but overall PS5 like a new experience just for the DualSense alone. Hoping nightdrive will release a native ps5 version of powerslave with dualsense support.

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland
I quite like the Quake expansions, and i'm really happy to hear you're enjoying them! When you're done, be sure to check out the mods that are available. There are only 3 (outside of Quake 64), and they're all worth playing. Especially Honey.

I have spent so much time on this remaster. It's everything I wanted and more. Nightdive do incredible work, and i'm a lifelong fan.
Yeah, Honey was short and sweeet and the silly ending put a big stupid grin on my face. Loved it. Hope we get a few more "out there" addons like that. Not that the professional levels are not welcome, but there are so many creative and bizarre Quake mods out there that really showcase the flexibility and moddability of the engine.

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
New add on. Interview here.

bethesda.net

Nods to Mods Interview: The Punishment Due

We go behind the scenes on our latest (and most modern) free Quake Add-on release.

We're so excited to be featuring our most modern Add-on yet: Originally released just last year on community hubs, The Punishment Due is now available as a free 5 level Add-on that uses the Copper gameplay mod for the re-release of Quake.

For those out there who may have missed it – check out our Nods to Mods interview with Copper mod authors Lunaran & Scampie, alongside their map release, Underdark Overbright – both of which are available to download today.

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
New update just dropped, adding CTF.

store.steampowered.com

Quake - Quake - Update 4 - Steam News

This is the fourth major update since the release of the enhanced version.

THREEWAVE CAPTURE THE FLAG (CTF)
Quake_ctf.gameplay.png

The rules for Capture the Flag are similar to the backyard game: protect your flag, steal the enemy's, and return it to your own flag to score a point. Threewave CTF comes with some extras to this basic formula by adding power-up runes for teams to fight over, and the famous grappling hook!

A BRIEF HISTORY
For all those scholarly Rangers out there, here's a brief history...
Threewave CTF was first released in October of 1996 by Zoid Kirsch. The mod back then was simple, and remixed existing game content to create something new. Matches took place on the single player levels modified to create bases. Keys were used in place of flags, and the grappling hook was an axe that fired a Vore ball. While a little bit of imagination was required, this didn't hurt the mod's reception at all. It caught on fire immediately and built a large fanbase of players looking for a deeper alternative to deathmatch.

Over the course of many updates, and eventually a QuakeWorld version, Threewave CTF would go on make Capture the Flag a household name in multiplayer game modes, and even spawn websites that exclusively covered Capture the Flag modes in games. Threewave CTF would be released officially as a part of Quake II, and the Quake III version of the mod would bring in new flag-based game modes and maps that would later make their way into Quake Live. Quake multiplayer and Threewave CTF have always been intertwined, and now the mod that started it all is now available for free in the enhanced Quake re-release
New add on as well.

View: https://twitter.com/bethesda/status/1560297992841732096

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Maybe it's because it's been a while since I have played it (have been playing a lot of Left4Dead, Wolfenstein Enemy Territory and the Anacrusis) but does movement feels overly-smoothed? It feels to me like just a light tap on the keyboard leads to your character to slide for a bit, and moving the mouse takes a bit for the view to snap where it's meant to be.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Maybe it's because it's been a while since I have played it (have been playing a lot of Left4Dead, Wolfenstein Enemy Territory and the Anacrusis) but does movement feels overly-smoothed? It feels to me like just a light tap on the keyboard leads to your character to slide for a bit, and moving the mouse takes a bit for the view to snap where it's meant to be.

Just quoting this for those experiencing this issue, switch to d3d to reduce the smoothing and fix the mouse lag.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone had any success getting this to work on Apple silicon? I've tried a few times with crossover and only ended up with a black screen.

There's a great source port for M1 macs but it naturally doesn't have any of the enhancements of this version.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Edward850

Would y'all be willing to look into the issue with low res rendering on the PC version? I grabbed a console screenshot to directly show what I mean now.

Here's QuakeSpasm using r_scale 4 at 1920x1080

ntvl5Yz.png

Here's the Quake remaster on Xbox One using low resolution

rcmcmX8.png

Here's Quake remaster on PC using low resolution

N5QRe1w.png

Could something be done about the smoothing present on the PC version?

MaLDo

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, we have no idea why it does this.

Looking at those screenshots I think correct ones have textures with No bilinear filtering + mipmaps disabled into Nearest filtering screen resolution but last one has textures with No bilinear filtering + Mipmaps enabled in Nearest filtering screen resolution. That's why distant textures are "blurrier"

Rickenslacker

You can try gl_texturemode GL_NEAREST because maybe you're using GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_NEAREST or GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_LINEAR

Last edited:

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, we have no idea why it does this.
Ah, unfortunate! No big deal then. Thanks for checking.

Looking at those screenshots I think correct ones have textures with No bilinear filtering + mipmaps disabled into Nearest filtering screen resolution but last one has textures with No bilinear filtering + Mipmaps enabled in Nearest filtering screen resolution. That's why distant textures are "blurrier"

Rickenslacker

You can try gl_texturemode GL_NEAREST because maybe you're using GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_NEAREST or GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_LINEAR
The Kex engine of the Quake remaster doesn't have gl_texturemode commands.

Last edited:

MaLDo

Oct 27, 2017
Rickenslacker Have you looked at your driver settings and checked that your PC isn't adding texture filtering as a 'quality improvement'?
Just tested. Kex engine uses r_texturemode but it doesn't give a shit about no mipmaps values.

You can disable anisotropic to see the problem easily and you can disable autogenerating mips in loading but at the end the engine forces mipmaps anyway. It seems like a bug not being able to disable mips.

Edward850 How is possible you can't see what your engine is doing with mips?

MaLDo

Oct 27, 2017
We have no reason to believe it has anything to do with mipmapping, given the issue doesn't affect every platform and Quake mipmapping is emulated (as they were a software render feature).

I'm pretty sure the problem is mipmapping. Mipmapping reduces texture resolution depending of the distance and the main goal is avoiding shimmering. If you apply a nearest filtering in pixels of the frame buffer, the least shimmering in the textures, the least shimmering in screen, it will look smoother and that's exactly what users are talking about.

Additionally if you set anisotropic to 0 it's pretty obvious mipmapping is enabled and smoothing textures two meters away of the camera. This is not the case in original Quake running in software mode.

RagingAvatar

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester
Could be texture filtering, could be mip biasing, could be an upscale or post process that has a filter in it..
The team at Nightdive are best placed to figure this out of course. I'm sure it's more complicated than anyone expects. PC is always tricky too when you don't know what hardware every user has.

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
New (minor) update just dropped.

store.steampowered.com

Quake - Quake - Update 4.1 - Steam News

Update 4.1 for Quake includes an improved initial Accessibility options setup and a few other minor changes. Thanks to your feedback from the menu flow of Accessibility options we introduced in Update 4, we've improved the initial flow. On first startup, you will be presented with the following...

Now if you could make Division of Change compatible with Threewave, already...

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
If you are using a Bluetooth headset and get no audio during multiplayer, go to Windows sound settings. Then, you will probably see listed your headseat twice, once as an audio device, and one as a hands-free audio device. Disable the hands-free audio. That's what worked for me.

emphyrian

May 17, 2018
I finally got the remaster in the Steam sale and loving every minute. I have not grinned from ear to ear this much since playing it as a child. I've done episodes 1 and 4 so far, just started 2. Can't wait to get into the new ones and also play a bit of splitscreen with the wife and friends.
I had to turn v sync off so unfortunately I get a slight tear but I can live with that. One thing I cant quite work out is the online multiplayer. There is a list of servers but unfortunately they are not very populated, am I missing something? Also, could I theoreticly connect 2 sets of keyboard and mouse for 2 player or would one person have to be on a controller? (Which I'm crap at but it actually feels pretty good.)
Great work, NightDive.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
One thing I cant quite work out is the online multiplayer. There is a list of servers but unfortunately they are not very populated, am I missing something?
Multiplayer is old school on demand, join someone's ongoing game or host your own. Matchmaking didn't really work out as I initially predicted, it's the wrong sort of game for that.

Also, could I theoreticly connect 2 sets of keyboard and mouse for 2 player or would one person have to be on a controller? (Which I'm crap at but it actually feels pretty good.)
Can't do multiple keyboard's and mice, we don't have that kind of HID access.

emphyrian

May 17, 2018
Multiplayer is old school on demand, join someone's ongoing game or host your own. Matchmaking didn't really work out as I initially predicted, it's the wrong sort of game for that.

Can't do multiple keyboard's and mice, we don't have that kind of HID access.

Old school on demand is fine for me. Thanks for your reply!