• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
Man, the hub level of Underdark Overbright is so smartly done.

I recommend looking for the secrets in this one. There is more to it than just the difficulty/episode selection. :)

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Just bought PS5 and it feels very stutters to me… Changed all settings which didn't make a difference. Feels like it's linked to input movement… also screen tearing?!

I haven't checked it out since the last update. A friend and I are going to go through one of the campaigns tomorrow. I'll report back.

The native PS5 SKU?

Southport

Nov 1, 2017
Just bought PS5 and it feels very stutters to me… Changed all settings which didn't make a difference. Feels like it's linked to input movement… also screen tearing?!

Fixed by turning off 120hz mode in PS5 OS settings. Buttery smooth now…

Incidentally my LG TV isn't 120hz but my Xbox thinks it can do 120hz. Maybe the PS5 auto setting has been affecting other games without me realising…

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Fixed by turning off 120hz mode in PS5 OS settings. Buttery smooth now…

Incidentally my LG TV isn't 120hz but my Xbox thinks it can do 120hz. Maybe the PS5 auto setting has been affecting other games without me realising…

Interesting. At least if your TV doesn't support 120 you can just leave the setting off in the OS

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Playing this on Series X and it feels great. I finished the first 3 episodes and really enjoyed my time. I will continue during the week for sure

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
quake_order.png

Does this mean they're done updating the game beyond the add ons? Wouldn't really be like LRG to ship a game with only half the updates on disc.

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Was playing splitscreen co-op, on Xbox Series X, the other day and the game suddenly dropped to the level selection screen mid-level. Not sure what happened. Lost our stage progress Had to restart.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I made my way through both Missions Packs and Dimensions of the Past. The Mission Packs sure had some bullshit enemy placements here and there, but shooters of that era were pretty much made with save scumming in mind, so it wasn't a real problem. The levels themselves were great, highly imaginative. Very good!

Dimensions of the Past was kinda whatever though. Nothing special, but still fun.

Dimensions of the Machine is the last DLC I've left now. Will probably play that over the weekend.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Was playing splitscreen co-op, on Xbox Series X, the other day and the game suddenly dropped to the level selection screen mid-level. Not sure what happened. Lost our stage progress Had to restart.
Dropped to the level selection? You mean the lobby? It sounds like you accidentally quit out back to the lobby.

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dropped to the level selection? You mean the lobby? It sounds like you accidentally quit out back to the lobby.
I was playing with my daughter and we were both actively playing through an area. I haven't played since and don't recall the buttons it takes to get to the lobby. I didn't see her press anything and not sure she would have known how, but it is always a possibility. It confused me and by the time I figured out I couldn't return and started capturing with the share button, it was too far away and didn't show the portion I wanted. I'll post if it happens again.

Jul 14, 2018
Philadelphia
I made my way through both Missions Packs and Dimensions of the Past. The Mission Packs sure had some bullshit enemy placements here and there, but shooters of that era were pretty much made with save scumming in mind, so it wasn't a real problem. The levels themselves were great, highly imaginative. Very good!

Dimensions of the Past was kinda whatever though. Nothing special, but still fun.

Dimensions of the Machine is the last DLC I've left now. Will probably play that over the weekend.
DotM is much, MUCH better than DotP. It's honestly insane what they've made with such an old base to work with.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
DotM is much, MUCH better than DotP. It's honestly insane what they've made with such an old base to work with.
Keep in mind, DotP was made to fit the original engine limits, you could play it on DOS. DotM however was us basically telling machine games "break the engine, and we'll change the engine until the map works again".

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it is much better. I've read about this before and was looking forward to playing it. I finished the first three episodes today and it's pretty great. It fails to capture the feeling and atmosphere of the original though. Feels more like a total conversion, but that is fine as long as it is fun. It sucks a bit that all the episodes are only two levels long and you lose all your weapons after that. It's mostly shot- and nailgun while you only find the lightning gun and rockets later in the episodes just to lose them again.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, that Boss fight of Dimension of the Machine is pure garbage. It might be the worst Quake level of them all, leaving quite a dent on an otherwise fine expansion.

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
I fired up the Switch version earlier today, and I'm not seeing any servers available in North America. I have cross play enabled and an active NSO membership, so I'm expecting to see something.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
I fired up the Switch version earlier today, and I'm not seeing any servers available in North America. I have cross play enabled and an active NSO membership, so I'm expecting to see something.
Games aren't region based, well in the lobby browser anyway. The game is more/most/only active with custom lobbies than matchmaking as well, where there's about 8 public games right now in the crossplay list.

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
Games aren't region based, well in the lobby browser anyway. The game is more/most/only active with custom lobbies than matchmaking as well, where there's about 8 public games right now in the crossplay list.
I see those matches if I fire up the Steam or Xbox (GP) versions; it's the Switch version only that doesn't get any results.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
I see those matches if I fire up the Steam or Xbox (GP) versions; it's the Switch version only that doesn't get any results.
Switch was the platform I checked. All platforms receive the exact same cross platform list, and the list is just a basic json table of actively responding lobbies. Make sure you haven't accidentally disabled crossplay in the multiplayer options, and you are looking at the crossplay list in the filter options.

Daggoth

Oct 25, 2017
I just wish the House of Doom achievement would get fixed :| it's been bugged since the update late last year on all platforms.

Great package otherwise, and just saw Quake64 in the downloads list, so time to check that out!

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Does Switch version have HD rumble? I owned the pc and ps5 version, i find the ps5 the best with dualsense support alone.

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
How's the Switch port's performance in hh mode nowadays? I forgot if this has gyro
If you want a "more accurate" (how Quake looked in DOS) graphical style, the game runs very, very well (60FPS locked) on my Switch Lite. There are a number of optional graphical features you can turn on if you want, and the game chugs at times if everything is turned on (dynamic shadows and ambient occlusion seem to be the biggest culprits, to me).

Gyro aiming is supported -- it's BotW style, where the right stick controls the camera and you can tilt the system for fine aiming (vs the "flick stick" style of Splatoon 2).

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
If you want a "more accurate" (how Quake looked in DOS) graphical style, the game runs very, very well (60FPS locked) on my Switch Lite. There are a number of optional graphical features you can turn on if you want, and the game chugs at times if everything is turned on (dynamic shadows and ambient occlusion seem to be the biggest culprits, to me).

Gyro aiming is supported -- it's BotW style, where the right stick controls the camera and you can tilt the system for fine aiming (vs the "flick stick" style of Splatoon 2).

Thanks for the reply! However, Splatoon doesn't (unfortunately!) use flick stick gyro afaik? That is, unless they've patched it in since last time I've played it?

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Flick stick is probably the wrong term; when gyro is on, the game turns off the right stick's vertical inputs.
The flick in flick stick is literal. The whole point is that it allows you to do quick flicks of the sticks to do big turns for the most mouse-like feel. It's a community-driven control scheme that wasn't developed by any big name company hence the slow adoption and why its inclusion in a recent Fortnite patch was such a big deal. The only other game that uses this is (on Switch or any console) Boomerang X.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
The flick in flick stick is literal. The whole point is that it allows you to do quick flicks of the sticks to do big turns for the most mouse-like feel. It's a community-driven control scheme that wasn't developed by any big name company hence the slow adoption and why its inclusion in a recent Fortnite patch was such a big deal. The only other game that uses this is (on Switch or any console) Boomerang X.
CS:GO also has native flick stick support.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
New update on Steam. Adds a bunch of accessibility options:
ze7umlH.png

The low res option on PC is still busted, guess they're not gonna bother fixing it.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Odd. Though I wonder if it's actually the console that's broken, the intended behaviour isn't clear.

In the off chance any community port developers are hanging around here:

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Odd. Though I wonder if it's actually the console that's broken, the intended behaviour isn't clear.

In the off chance any community port developers are hanging around here:
I would think the intent behind the setting is to get a chunky low res software rendered look, but the way it currently works on the PC version doesn't achieve that, instead filtering the textures at a distance and causing a blurry appearance. In QuakeSpasm you can change the render scale and below is how it turns out which is more authentic to the classic low res look, much like the console image from the tweet, so that's why I'm assuming something is off with the PC implementation currently.

26EePMI.png

Daggoth

Oct 25, 2017
Update is also live on ps5 and they still haven't fixed the last trophy not popping :(
Just tested on an alt and managed to get The House of Doom popped on PS4 and PS5 (playing both on PS5) - uncertain if anything else is needed, like starting the level from scratch or otherwise

Last edited: