• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 6, 2017
US
I've also had a few instances where the framerate ate shit on PS5. I think the second level in Dimensions Of The Past has the wall lasers after you cross a high-up bridge into a sort of guard tower area? When those lasers went off, game turned into a slideshow for a second, kind of entertaining to see Quake force the PS5 to its knees.

Also my revitalized lust for FPS games after binging Quake recently made me buy Titanfall 2. Totally different obviously but damn, this game is good.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I guess it was made with people who kept playing Quake for years in mind, like most Doom wads right now aren't very newbie friendly.

Pretty much. I haven't played Quake since release, basically, and using a controller is a bit of a handicap, as well.

Oh well, I made it through with judicious use of quicksaves. Now on to The Machine!

PerrierChaud

Feb 24, 2019
Playing the game on XSX in 120fps mode, and there's like a weird greenish tint/ghosting/trailing effect over moving objects whenever I shift the camera or myself. I thought my TV could be at fault, but it doesn't happen on any other 120fps game I tried (DOOM Eternal looks fine as does Mad Max). Even the slightest movement of camera makes entire walls turn blue/green depending on their color.
I noticed mentions of interpolation & the banned user on the previous page whom video aren't up anymore, I don't know if it's the same issue.

Senger

Oct 27, 2017
Playing the game on XSX in 120fps mode, and there's like a weird greenish tint/ghosting/trailing effect over moving objects whenever I shift the camera or myself. I thought my TV could be at fault, but it doesn't happen on any other 120fps game I tried (DOOM Eternal looks fine as does Mad Max). Even the slightest movement of camera makes entire walls turn blue/green depending on their color.
I noticed mentions of interpolation & the banned user on the previous page whom video aren't up anymore, I don't know if it's the same issue.
I have the same issue on XSX with a LG CX. 120fps turns blurry with any movement including standing still while riding a platform up or down. I've tried every in game display setting with no luck. Setting the console to 60hz is the only solution.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
I have the same issue on XSX with a LG CX. 120fps turns blurry with any movement including standing still while riding a platform up or down. I've tried every in game display setting with no luck. Setting the console to 60hz is the only solution.

Bad news guys. That's because it's the TV, not the game.

Senger

Oct 27, 2017
Bad news guys. That's because it's the TV, not the game.

Why does it show up in 120hz mode in Quake and not 60hz? Does Control have a 120hz mode?

Other 120fps games I've played are fine. MCC, Halo Infinite test, Gears 5 multi, Doom Eternal, New Super Lucky's Tale w/fps boost, the list goes on.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
Why does it show up in 120hz mode in Quake and not 60hz? Does Control have a 120hz mode?

Other 120fps games I've played are fine. MCC, Halo Infinite test, Gears 5 multi, Doom Eternal, New Super Lucky's Tale w/fps boost, the list goes on.

It's only noticeable when switching between two dark colours. So games like Quake with a lot of dark colours and games with a lot of banding like Control make the issue more obvious. But it's there on every bit of content regardless. Happened in movies, too (although film grain can make it less obvious).

Once you know what to look for you'll see it every where.

Senger

Oct 27, 2017
It's only noticeable when switching between two dark colours. So games like Quake with a lot of dark colours and games with a lot of banding like Control make the issue more obvious. But it's there on every bit of content regardless. Happened in movies, too (although film grain can make it less obvious).

If that is the case, why is there no ghosting/blur at 60hz?

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
Edward850

I hadn't played in a while and just noticed tonight that the last update adjusts the weapon display relative to the FOV and HUD so that it always looks the same. I'm cool with it and I know it's a popular feature in source ports but do you think you might add a toggle to switch back to the original behaviour in a future update? It doesn't look quite like 96 Quake with full HUD. Yes, I know I'm a pain…

Thanks for the post release support anyway!

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
I hadn't played in a while and just noticed tonight that the last update adjusts the weapon display relative to the FOV and HUD so that it always looks the same. I'm cool with it and I know it's a popular feature in source ports but do you think you might add a toggle to switch back to the original behaviour in a future update? It doesn't look quite like 96 Quake with full HUD. Yes, I know I'm a pain…

So it's kind of weird but we had to change shader behaviour to support changing that in the first place. Adding a toggle may not be practical as a result but I'll make note of it.

Zep

Jul 12, 2021
Was more of a duke nukem fan growing up and started this for the first time today. Spent like 20mins looking for nightmare mode in the hub and had to look up a guide to see that it's in a secret area lol. Why did they hide it like this?
Game is old school goodness for sure and didn't have too many issues clearing out the whole first area on nightmare. Definitely gonna go clear all the portals. This is good stuff.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Was more of a duke nukem fan growing up and started this for the first time today. Spent like 20mins looking for nightmare mode in the hub and had to look up a guide to see that it's in a secret area lol. Why did they hide it like this?
Well remember how Doom's nightmare skill was A) a joke added post launch and B) asked you first if you were completely sure you wanted to play it? It's basically the interactive version of that. Because you access the skill levels by physically moving around, hiding it was the stopgap to make sure people didn't just accidentally enter the skill, you had to know full well what you were about to do.

Zep

Jul 12, 2021
Well remember how Doom's nightmare skill was A) a joke added post launch and B) asked you first if you were completely sure you wanted to play it? It's basically the interactive version of that. Because you access the skill levels by physically moving around, hiding it was the stopgap to make sure people didn't just accidentally enter the skill, you had to know full well what you were about to do.
Interesting. I had to see just how difficult it really was when I saw those low achievement percentages (like .20%). Game can be unforgiving when forcing myself not to use save states.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if it's been asked, but have they updated the controls on Xbox yet? Added more sensitivity options/disable acceleration?

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝

This is a different issue. In fact I only notice it with bright objects. When strafing etc. it's obvious that the environment doesn't update at a smooth 120hz. When I just pan the camera around everything is smooth.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Yes I saw the issue with a portable keyboard/trackpad. Although the controller was turned on and connected as well.
Humm, I'm not sure what that could be, then. I don't really see anything obvious myself, this seems to be something only specific people see, and that makes any such issue really complicated to narrow down.
We'll keep investigating, however.

Last edited:

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Sorry if it's been asked, but have they updated the controls on Xbox yet? Added more sensitivity options/disable acceleration?

Yes, they're really good now.

Unfortunately I've run into a bug since the patch where the cursor just won't be visible on the Save menu and I have to kind of "wiggle" the D-Pad to get it to show up and let me select a slot.

I also had an even weirder bug where none of my saves would show up and I couldn't create any (game would just say "saved" without actually doing anything). Had to force quit the game and reopen it.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Humm, I'm not sure what that could be, then. I don't really see anything obvious myself, this seems to be something only specific people see, and that makes any such issue really complicated to narrow down.
We'll keep investigating, however.
I noticed that right after starting a game it seems fine and then after a short while the judder begins happening. Maybe something with the interpolation goes out of sync?
Here is a video:
streamable.com

quake1_720p

Watch "quake1_720p" on Streamable.
Compare me going past the pillars at 0:21 and then 2:06. In the beginning it's smooth and then becomes juddery. When looking at it at normal speed it then just looks blurry which is probably what others are seeing.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Maybe something with the interpolation goes out of sync?
No it won't be that, interpolation isn't persistent and only knows the start/end states of the previous frame. My only possible theory is that it could be a red herring and it's actually the console not keeping up at 4K/120hz for periods of time, which would be odd for many reasons and isn't showing on any frame graphs (on the Xbox, anyway).

Kris1977

Nov 25, 2017
Bought this today in the sale for ps5. Anyone else getting frame drops when playing. Surely the ps5 can handle this. I'm getting frame drops quite often which is really distracting

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Anyone else on Windows 10 with Bluetooth audio, not getting any audio at all on multiplayer? Seems to work fine on single player.
Does it still occur if you disable VOIP in the multiplayer options?
Having VOIP enabled and accessing online multiplayer engages the microphone for communication, but never before. Your headset may not be able to drive both the microphone and speakers at the same time without changing the output format (thus pulling the rug out from under the audio output stream). This is very common for low quality bluetooth codecs, as it doesn't have the bandwidth to drive both output and input at full quality at the same time.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Just grabbed this on the steam sale, I think it's the first time the remastered version's been on sale

Strangely doesn't seem to want to run very well at 4K 🤔 Oh well, not like it needs it. Great so far

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Does it still occur if you disable VOIP in the multiplayer options?
Having VOIP enabled and accessing online multiplayer engages the microphone for communication, but never before. Your headset may not be able to drive both the microphone and speakers at the same time without changing the output format (thus pulling the rug out from under the audio output stream). This is very common for low quality bluetooth codecs, as it doesn't have the bandwidth to drive both output and input at full quality at the same time.

This is how I currently have the options on Quake. Is there anything else I could do? I tried updating the drivers of the bluetooth USB device I use (A Ugreen branded USB stick that reports as a Realtek Bluetooth 5.0 in Device Manager).The other game where I had audio issues is GTAV, but normally taking out the USB device and putting it in again fixes that. I'm using a Motorola Escape 220 headset.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
This is how I currently have the options on Quake. Is there anything else I could do? I tried updating the drivers of the bluetooth USB device I use (A Ugreen branded USB stick that reports as a Realtek Bluetooth 5.0 in Device Manager).The other game where I had audio issues is GTAV, but normally taking out the USB device and putting it in again fixes that. I'm using a Motorola Escape 220 headset.
Just the top option. Unless for some reason that's not disabling the voice profile in the code?
Edit: Ah I'm dumb, it indeed doesn't disable engaging the voip system (all it seems setup to do is disable chat permissions). I'll see about patching that, if I can that is because voip can't be engaged late.

So unfortunately as is I can't confirm if that's your issue, though all symptoms suggest it is an issue with your headset's microphone system.

I wonder as a possible work around, start something like audacity and just have it recording off your microphone, then start the game with that in the background. This way the mic should be pre engaged and the sound system shouldn't change as you enter multiplayer.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
New update just hit:

store.steampowered.com

Quake - Quake - Update 2 - Steam News

This is the second major update since the release of the enhanced version.

Adds a horde mode, a new add-on Honey, and some improvements and fixes.

The low res mode still has texture smoothing issues on PC though, thought that would've been something that was fixed.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
DE_QC_RangerSkins--1920x1080.png

OoOooOoooh!

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have the weapon models gotten .... bigger? I think they are taking up more the screen now. So far, Honey is great.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Did the newest update remove 120hz support? Pretty sure it's just 60fps on my XSX now.

Edit: Nope, it still outputs 120hz but still has the old lower refresh issue.

Last edited:

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
what is "the old lower refresh issue"?
I've posted about it above. It seems to me like the game immediately after loading into a game runs at a smooth 120hz but after a while the world update goes down to a lower frame rate (I presume 60fps).

Edit: Hmm, I just checked it again and it does just seem like 60fps no matter what.
Edit2: Seems like the issue is still there. Here is a direct slow motion capture comparing how the game looks right after loading into a match and then one minute after.

Last edited:

Senger

Oct 27, 2017
I've posted about it above. It seems to me like the game immediately after loading into a game runs at a smooth 120hz but after a while the world update goes down to a lower frame rate (I presume 60fps).

Edit: Hmm, I just checked it again and it does just seem like 60fps no matter what.
Edit2: Seems like the issue is still there. Here is a direct slow motion capture comparing how the game looks right after loading into a match and then one minute after.

That might explain the blurring that I'm getting in 120hz mode as well. Was hoping this update fixed the issue but I guess I'll wait a bit longer to start my playthrough.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Did quick runs to the exit on the horde maps on hard, and whew, you have to stay on your game. Fun stuff, though.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
It's not something we've observed during development. Try connecting your controller via USB to make sure something about the wireless protocol isn't acting up
Did that, it still didn't feel 1:1

I might have to test on other games.

Edit: yeh something feels uniquely weird with the controls for this game.

I just tried ReCore: definitive edition and there is no input lag whatsoever.

Last edited: