• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Yeah I have too.... this along w/ 120fps not working seems to be a thing on PS5 but Edward850 just said a fix should be coming soon for the 120fps part anyways..I don't know if those 2 things are related w/r/t to the frame drop stuff.
It could be. The game is trying to run at 120FPS (if you have that enabled in the system) even if the video output doesn't match, so it can throw the timing off.

modernkicks

Apr 7, 2020
I'll hop on it in a bit and disable the 120hz in my PS5 settings to see if it fixes that aspect for the time being.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Edward850 There's a nasty blur on the XSX version when turning. I'm using a C1 with VRR if that makes a difference. Motion blur is not on and I tried that before and what I'm seeing is totally different from that effect.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Edward850 There's a nasty blur on the XSX version when turning. I'm using a C1 with VRR if that makes a difference. Motion blur is not on and I tried that before and what I'm seeing is totally different from that effect.
I... couldn't really say. Motion blur is the only motion blur we have. We don't have anything else like it in the post processing pipeline (except for the CRT shader, but that's only used in Quake64).

I wouldn't normally be quick the blame the TV, but I don't really have anything else to point at. This might sound silly but do you have an overdrive mode on your display, and if so is it enabled? Because it may have to be at 120Hz. Quake as a lot of motion in its pixels.

Last edited:

modernkicks

Apr 7, 2020
I disabled 120hz in the PS5 settings and I haven't noticed any of the weird frame hitches in the gameplay in my brief time messing around w/ it compared to when I had it enabled.

I'll just patiently await the 120 fix.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
I... couldn't really say. Motion blur is the only motion blur we have. We don't have anything else like it in the post processing pipeline (except for the CRT shader, but that's only used in Quake64).

I wouldn't normally be quick the blame the TV, but I don't really have anything else to point at. This might sound silly but do you have an overdrive mode on your display, and if so is it enabled? Because it may have to be at 120Hz. Quake as a lot of motion in its pixels.
I just messed with it some more. It's definitely not my TV. It only happens when I'm moving and looking around at the same time. If I'm just moving things are fine and if I'm just looking around things are fine but the combination of the two makes everything almost look like a 3D TV image without 3D glasses on. It also takes a few seconds of moving around for it to happen. Things are good for like the first five seconds but after that it goes bad and then it's immediate after I move and look around. Important to note that the gun is always fine and I have bobbing turned on so that's moving.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
I just messed with it some more. It's definitely not my TV. It only happens when I'm moving and looking around at the same time. If I'm just moving things are fine and if I'm just looking around things are fine but the combination of the two makes everything almost look like a 3D TV image without 3D glasses on. It also takes a few seconds of moving around for it to happen. Things are good for like the first five seconds but after that it goes bad and then it's immediate after I move and look around. Important to note that the gun is always fine and I have bobbing turned on so that's moving.
The problem is you're describing this as blurring so I'm not actually sure what you're seeing at all, because there is no kind of blurring post process that occurs if you have motion blur off. It's worth noting that Quake isn't actually running at 120hz, we can't do that without the physics breaking, but we do interpolate the game world and camera. Maybe you're seeing something that is updating at 60hz without any interpolation? But I'm not really sure what that could be or why you're seeing it as some apparent "blurring". There's only so much I can do with that description, unfortunately.

A video showing off this blur, if at all possible, might be the key. Maybe use a high speed camera (they tend to be on phones now)?

Also, do you get this if you play with a mouse and keyboard instead?

Last edited:

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
At certain turning angles while moving I noticed some double image looking stuff when looking at items etc. Like slowly strafe circling around a corpse or whatever it looks like it's kinda shaking. But it's pretty subtle. I just turned on motion blur which looks really good at 120hz. That eliminated it.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
The problem is you're describing this as blurring so I'm not actually sure what you're seeing at all, because there is no kind of blurring post process that occurs if you have motion blur off. It's worth noting that Quake isn't actually running at 120hz, we can't do that without the physics breaking, but we do interpolate the game world and camera. Maybe you're seeing something that is updating at 60hz without any interpolation? But I'm not really sure what that could be or why you're seeing it as some apparent "blurring". There's only so much I can do with that description, unfortunately.

A video showing off this blur, if at all possible, might be the key. Maybe use a high speed camera (they tend to be on phones now)?

Also, do you get this if you play with a mouse and keyboard instead?
I don't know about mouse and keyboard. Here's a video. Not the best quality but wait until it stops at the end and you can see the blur clear up.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
I don't know about mouse and keyboard. Here's a video. Not the best quality but wait until it stops at the end and you can see the blur clear up.

Did you by some chance turn interpolations off in the display options? I know that sounds unrelated but go with me on this. And unfortunately no sorry, I don't notice anything in particular in that video, it's not obvious what I'm supposed to be seeing.
Edit: Okay maybe I almost see it? But I'm still not quite sure what that is. This probably needs better analysis with tools neither of us have, unfortunately. Though I still want to know if using a keyboard/mouse and the interpolation modes have any affect for you.

Last edited:

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Did you by some chance turn interpolations off in the display options? I know that sounds unrelated but go with me on this. And unfortunately no sorry, I don't notice anything in particular in that video, it's not obvious what I'm supposed to be seeing.
Interpolation is on. I've turned everything on and off in the settings. The only thing that fixes the issue is setting the console back to only displaying 60Hz.

I'll see if I can get a better upload on YouTube for you. I took the video at 4K60 and it's easy to see on my phone.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Downloaded the PC version via Gamepass, and surprise surprise, it looks nigh identical to the Switch release.
It's Quake, the game was made in 1996, how much better could it look? :P

Edward850 Here's a better video of what's happening.

We've found an edge case with the controller where the interpolation wasn't being stored and overridden properly when gamepad inputs were sampled, only with the mouse. It's not something that can be submitted in a hotfix so it'll take a while to be deployed, but if you turn out not to be having the issue with a mouse and keyboard, that might be the problem?

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
We've found an edge case with the controller where the interpolation wasn't being stored and overridden properly when gamepad inputs were sampled, only with the mouse. It's not something that can be submitted in a hotfix so it'll take a while to be deployed, but if you turn out not to be having the issue with a mouse and keyboard, that might be the problem?
Actually that can't be it because the same issue shows up in the demo which obviously has no input. Also the more I play around with it I'm noticing the models not interpolating right either. They get jerky but not like no interpolation jerky.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Actually that can't be it because the same issue shows up in the demo which obviously has no input. Also the more I play around with it I'm noticing the models not interpolating right either. They get jerky but not like no interpolation jerky.
The demo isn't a reliable test subject, given it's just a replay of network commands from the DOS v1.09 Quake. It doesn't even know what interpolation is, and I think it wasn't even recorded at 60FPS.
They aren't input recordings like Doom had, they are actually a recording of what a client receives from the server, the true client state isn't known.
Testing the game with a mouse and keyboard would be a better approach.

Last edited:

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
The new XSX patch with 120fps is great. The interpolation is occasionally a little noticeable when moving quickly (thought it was motion blur at first) but it still looks miles and miles better than 60fps. And feels way better to play.
Nah, I'm just used to PC versions of games looking noticeably better than Switch versions, it just a bit funny for it not to be the case for a change.
Well it obviously can run at a higher resolution than Switch and supports 120fps. Not sure what else the differences would be on a remaster of such an old game.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Nah, I'm just used to PC versions of games looking noticeably better than Switch versions, it just a bit funny for it not to be the case for a change.

It is still Quake 1, the only difference would be the added resolution and framerate on the Series X and PC, compared to the Switch.

Every single other thing would look the same, and since it already runs at a high enough resolution and framerate on the Switch, of course the contrast isn't as big as other games.

What were you expecting?

---

I played with 8 bots for a while yesterday, put them on Hard, then immediately dropped them down to Normal.

They are fun, but they all behave like they are on crack with jerky motions (constant left-right straffing in the same place, etc.) It was funny though.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Ugh, is anyone else getting a horrible high-pitch keening sound on the music that plays during Wizard's Keep in Dissolution of Eternity?

I had to turn the music off on PS4 for that level, it was causing my brain to leak out of my ears.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Jesus I forgot about those insanely stupid 'wildly bouncing explosive blob' enemies in the last episode. They finally introduce a new enemy and it's this thing.

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
faa65359100a8af23631eeda967ff70a.500x197x25.gif

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
Is there legit no way to turn off controller sounds on the PS5 version or am I an idiot?

Because hearing the guns go off next to me is incredibly distracting.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Downloaded the PS5 version - didn't really get far in the PS4 version as the controller aim felt so off.

My god is it so much better now. Default settings feel perfect to me - a complete night & day feeling when I booted it up for the first time.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand

Is there legit no way to turn off controller sounds on the PS5 version or am I an idiot?
Press PS button->Sound->Controller Speaker. Sorry we don't have an ingame option for it, the feature was kinda hacked into the vibration functions so we didn't really have any easy ways to add customization to it in a cross-platform friendly way.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Can't get 120hz working. Downloaded the latest version and it looks very stuttery. I have an lg cx

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Can't get 120hz working. Downloaded the latest version and it looks very stuttery. I have an lg cx
I had some stutter in the starter hub area, but at least in the first few levels, it's been a perfect 120. PS5, LG CX here as well.

I gotta say 120 fps on the CX is amazing. That OLED pixel response time makes it look near perfect in motion. Even better than my PC monitor at 180hz.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Anything special i need to do to enable the 120 mode on xbox? Thanks!
  1. Plug Xbox into a 120hz TV.
  2. Set video output to 120hz in the system video settings.
  3. There is no step 3. You don't even need to relaunch the game if it's already running (the game watches for display change events and sets the framerate accordingly).

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone know what the default controls are/were? With the controller improvements I'd like to start from there and make tweaks and can't remember what they were originally set to on Switch

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Yes definitely feels off compared with the PS4 version via BC.

For the benefit of anyone who had tweaked their input settings to accommodate the original controls, these are the default settings to restore them to given there is no option to do this in-game (that I can see anyway). I found my settings which felt "ok" with the original version didn't feel great at all with the patched version, but with settings restored to defaults the patched version feels excellent.

Aim Assist: On
Invert Look: Off
Aim X: 6
Aim Y: 3
Aim Accel: 15
Accel Exponent: 2.0
Aim Smoothing: On

Deadzone
Left Stick: 24
Right Stick: 26

Motion Sensor
Enabled: On
Aim X: 8
Aim Y: 7

Thanks! This is exactly what I've been searching for

Dec 6, 2017
US
Holy shit is Dimension Of The Past difficult compared to the base game. I just beat the game on Hard on PS5 and went into Dimension Of The Past and I'm getting crushed. I hate to be that person too but...I really don't like the type of difficulty I think? Feels like way less ammo and weapons vs. larger amount of bullet-sponge enemies. It's something I'm not particularly a fan of in the base game compared to Doom to begin with, the fact that even the basic chainsaw/grenade monsters take so much damage, but damn, it's ramped up to 10 here.

That being said, the level design so far is really damn good so I'll get used to it!

On a sidenote, it's cool just how much the Reznor soundtrack creates Quake's massive sense of dread. I tried playing the first two expansions (I think?) and the soundtrack being so different made the game feel just kind of goofy in comparison. The claustrophobic and evil atmosphere is one of my favorite things about Quake.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Holy shit is Dimension Of The Past difficult compared to the base game. I just beat the game on Hard on PS5 and went into Dimension Of The Past and I'm getting crushed. I hate to be that person too but...I really don't like the type of difficulty I think? Feels like way less ammo and weapons vs. larger amount of bullet-sponge enemies. It's something I'm not particularly a fan of in the base game compared to Doom to begin with, the fact that even the basic chainsaw/grenade monsters take so much damage, but damn, it's ramped up to 10 here.

Yeah, Dimensions of the Past is definitely stingier.

With the base game, they seemed to shower you with health packs so there was a pretty constant ebb and flow when it came to your health. With DotP, there seemed to be longer stretches where my health would just go down and down with no chance to boost it.

I also found that with the base game I tended to have a surplus of rockets if worse came to worse, while in DotP I had a couple instances where I actually went down to just the axe.

It's definitely a different experience. Less Doom and more Dark Souls, kinda.

Gusy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still getting framedrops on the main chapter select hub in the PS5 version.. Also in the Dimension of the machine hub. It used to run flawlessly with the standard PS4 version.

Does anyone else notice this or I'm I going crazy?