• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
With the way that path-traced Minecraft demo for XSX was shown before launch and largely disappeared, I think we won't see a title like that (e.g. Quake II RTX) until the "pro" versions of XSX/PS5 drop. RT performance just isn't there yet on console.

I wonder. This game has such simple geometry, and we've seen more taxing games bring rt into the fold.

Those old Quake 2 ray trace demos blew my mind. I'd love to have something comparable on console.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
I wonder. This game has such simple geometry, and we've seen more taxing games bring rt into the fold.

Those old Quake 2 ray trace demos blew my mind. I'd love to have something comparable on console.
Minecraft geometry is about as simple as it gets, it's just blocks. :-P Full path tracing is hugely intensive as RT is used for the entire render, not just key elements like shadows or reflections. DF did a great video on the tech demo that Microsoft made where Minecraft with path tracing was running at 1080p targeting 60 fps.

I'm not sure if making a path traced version of the original Quake would perform better than Quake II, just don't know enough about it. But path tracing is soooooo expensive just from the word go that I don't know that it'd be a negligible difference trying to run it on the current consoles.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Minecraft geometry is about as simple as it gets, it's just blocks. :-P Full path tracing is hugely intensive as RT is used for the entire render, not just key elements like shadows or reflections. DF did a great video on the tech demo that Microsoft made where Minecraft with path tracing was running at 1080p targeting 60 fps.

I'm not sure if making a path traced version of the original Quake would perform better than Quake II, just don't know enough about it. But path tracing is soooooo expensive just from the word go that I don't know that it'd be a negligible difference trying to run it on the current consoles.

I wonder if there's any incentive to add it in to Quake on the ray tracing friendly consoles... It's such a fun look.

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a trick to enabling 120FPS on PS5? I can't see any option in-game, console is set to auto 120hz with performance mode as default.

Koralsky

Oct 28, 2017
You can't transfer ps4 saves to ps5, but also the native PS5 verison is dropping frames like crazy. Hope there's performance patch. PS4 Pro BC version is quite a bit more stable than the native PS5 port.

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
You can't transfer ps4 saves to ps5, but also the native PS5 verison is dropping frames like crazy. Hope there's performance patch. PS4 Pro BC version is quite a bit more stable than the native PS5 port.

Yes definitely feels off compared with the PS4 version via BC.

For the benefit of anyone who had tweaked their input settings to accommodate the original controls, these are the default settings to restore them to given there is no option to do this in-game (that I can see anyway). I found my settings which felt "ok" with the original version didn't feel great at all with the patched version, but with settings restored to defaults the patched version feels excellent.

Aim Assist: On
Invert Look: Off
Aim X: 6
Aim Y: 3
Aim Accel: 15
Accel Exponent: 2.0
Aim Smoothing: On

Deadzone
Left Stick: 24
Right Stick: 26

Motion Sensor
Enabled: On
Aim X: 8
Aim Y: 7

Koralsky

Oct 28, 2017
After a couple of minutes playing Series X version I can say that it run quite a bit better on the same levels compared to PS5. Just one minor (streaming) stutter in one of the new bigger levels. I prefer DualSense integration on PS5 for controlling the game though. Also the native PS5 port is loading slower than the PS4 version using PS5 BC which is crazy.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
This is going to sound dumb. I never knew that going to the higher difficulty meant more enemies. I thought it would just be more damage ect.

Its so cool that they did it this way. Makes it feel so much fairer and more fun to master.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I have to say, I'm really not a fan of Dissolution of Eternity.

I love vanilla and Scourge, but Dissolution just drags. All the levels are too long and the new enemies are the pits.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Still hoping for a patch that can fix the save files the game straight up broke and corrupted ._.
Can't be fixed, direct limitation of Quake itself due to the way its entities work. If a map updates and the entity order changes, it breaks. Only option is to restart the map (which we should have done automatically, but we discovered that unusual quirk too late).
Yeah I'm not getting 120fps on PS5 either.
Investigating. We are configuring the video output as 120Hz, and the ingame framerate is set as such, but something seems to have changed between testing and release and apparently that's no longer enough anymore? Might be vsync somehow. Edit: Not vsync. Figured it out.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Can't be fixed, direct limitation of Quake itself due to the way its entities work. If a map updates and the entity order changes, it breaks. Only option is to restart the map (which we should have done automatically, but we discovered that unusual quirk too late).

Restarting the map is one thing, but those were saves with a completed main campaign + saves about halfway through Scourge of Armagon, and I just can't be bothered to start the game from the beginning again just to replay all of that :/

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Restarting the map is one thing, but those were saves with a completed main campaign + saves about halfway through Scourge of Armagon, and I just can't be bothered to start the game from the beginning again just to replay all of that :/
Wait, when you say corrupted, do you mean the entity models going funky or the PlayStation saying your save file is corrupted? Because the latter is a very different issue.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
So is the final word that we'll never get Arcane Dimensions on this because it uses textures from Hexen?

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, when you say corrupted, do you mean the entity models going funky or the PlayStation saying your save file is corrupted? Because the latter is a very different issue.

My save files are entirely corrupted. The game won't read them at all, and just gives an error message about not being able to read saved data because they're corrupt. For some reason it wrecked all of them, and not only the one I was trying to save over when the error occurred. You replied to one of my posts about it earlier, and I think you mentioned it had something to do with the PS4 or the game having too many instances of the save file open, or not closing them correctly, or something like that?

MrGiraffe

Feb 27, 2020
My save files are entirely corrupted. The game won't read them at all, and just gives an error message about not being able to read saved data because they're corrupt. For some reason it wrecked all of them, and not only the one I was trying to save over when the error occurred. You replied to one of my posts about it earlier, and I think you mentioned it had something to do with the PS4 or the game having too many instances of the save file open, or not closing them correctly, or something like that?

Yep, same here. Everything was wrecked.
I was about halfway through the game back when it launched and didn't pick it up again.

hoping the PS5 version doesn't have this issue when I start soon.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Ah, okay, so that's a different situation. That's the playstation saying the save file blocks are corrupt, not a game message. I can't restore or control that, it's not a flag we manage.
I did find an issue a while back on the PS4 where file management would run out of handles over time, which could have caused a save task to be interrupted if it ran out of handles at just the right time, that was stealth fixed. But I otherwise never reproduced any such issue personally so I couldn't say if that was related.

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, okay, so that's a different situation. That's the playstation saying the save file blocks are corrupt, not a game message. I can't restore or control that, it's not a flag we manage.
I did find an issue a while back on the PS4 where file management would run out of handles over time, which could have caused a save task to be interrupted if it ran out of handles at just the right time, that was stealth fixed. But I otherwise never reproduced any such issue personally so I couldn't say if that was related.

Yeah, it's a weird one. I think it's the only PS4 game I've ever had corrupt my save data. It's a great port, but losing all that progress sucked. Playing it all again is a bit too much, at least at the moment 😅 Might do it again sometime in the future.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Yeah, it's a weird one. I think it's the only PS4 game I've ever had corrupt my save data. It's a great port, but losing all that progress sucked. Playing it all again is a bit too much, at least at the moment 😅 Might do it again sometime in the future.
If there's anything to come from it, it's that going forward we really need to split save files into their own blocks. This single block model is a little too volatile, because if the PS just decides the save file is corrupt, it nukes everything you have. However rather frustratingly a multi-block model is incompatible with how every other platform handles save files. It'll need some thinking.

Oct 27, 2017
If there's anything to come from it, it's that going forward we really need to split save files into their own blocks. This single block model is a little too volatile, because if the PS just decides the save file is corrupt, it nukes everything you have. However rather frustratingly a multi-block model is incompatible with how every other platform handles save files. It'll need some thinking.

Wait, Switch and Xbox don't use multi-block models? Weird. I've never owned any Xbox models and never dug into the save files on my Switch, I just assumed every platform used a multi-block model. The more you know!

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Wait, Switch and Xbox don't use multi-block models? Weird. I've never owned any Xbox models and never dug into the save files on my Switch, I just assumed every platform used a multi-block model. The more you know!
The Switch is just a PC file system under the hood, and the Xbox has this thing called connected storage that you can treat as a typical file system you upload data chunks to, though you're using byte buffers instead of file handles. Both would just treat a corrupt file as just that individual file, not the whole mount.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Why does the PS5 version take like 5 seconds to load a quick save? It was instant on the PS4 version...

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Odd, I don't seem to be able to reproduce this. Couldn't say why you're experiencing that but it doesn't seem to be game related at first glance.

It took about 5-8
seconds to load a save game for the first few times. Now it takes 3-5 seconds.

Loaded up the PS4 version just to check and that one takes about one second.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Launched "project silver"… basically the same experience however framerate seems to be jerky/dropping frames? Anyone else noticing this? PS5 here

modernkicks

Apr 7, 2020
Launched "project silver"… basically the same experience however framerate seems to be jerky/dropping frames? Anyone else noticing this? PS5 here

Yeah I have too.... this along w/ 120fps not working seems to be a thing on PS5 but Edward850 just said a fix should be coming soon for the 120fps part anyways..I don't know if those 2 things are related w/r/t to the frame drop stuff.